Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Powered Descent posted:

But seriously, best wishes to your brainmeats. Concussions suck; I got a big one a few years ago in a bike crash.

Thanks. It's been a rough week. I find myself frequently paraphrasing Tom's riff from Sidehackers: "Remember when [I] used to be smart?"

muscles like this! posted:

If she's up on her aviation history The Starfighters might be fun.

Edit: The jet in the movie was notoriously unsafe, mainly for the reasons that they mention as pluses. Its wings were too short and thin to actually hold it up and the plane crashed like crazy.

I showed The Starfighters to an Air Force vet friend of mine and she about died laughing. It's always been one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
There's a small plane in Laserblast, as well.

[Feeling your pain on that concussion - took me a week to regain the ability to finish sentences. Hope you feel better soon!]

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I have no memory of this segment. Please tell me it was a Robert Z'Dar movie.

sort of. forrest ackerman is also in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnzlIests4&t=1291s

then skip ahead to 25:00

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 21, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

Kate Micucci would be good, and she's already written for the show

Do we know who else did behind the scenes writing on the latest season?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

Here's who made the wikipedia entry:

quote:

Dan Harmon and Joel McHale also wrote for the show, along with the on-screen cast members.[52][61] Hodgson also brought in guest writers for certain episodes that included Justin Roiland, Dan Harmon, Rob Schrab, Nell Scovell, Ernie Cline, Pat Rothfuss, and Dana Gould. Additionally, Paul & Storm and Robert Lopez composed original songs for the new episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

InfiniteZero posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6782014/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dan Harmon is actually a good choice for MST3K, I think, because a good head writer is going to keep him from tyrannically wrestling the overall tone over to a dark, meta-humor well and tossing them into it (which is fine for his shows but not for MST3K), but his genuine love and obsession with film and all of its tropes makes him a great source for a few belly-laugh one-liners.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PostNouveau posted:

Here's who made the wikipedia entry:

Ernie Cline as in Ernest Cline, the loving hack who wrote Ready Player One?!?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ernie Cline as in Ernest Cline, the loving hack who wrote Ready Player One?!?

:shrug:

I mean, I hope so because Mike did like 30 hours of podcasts devoted to making GBS threads on his work.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
From the original Kickstarter revival page:

Joel Hodgson posted:

4. OUR GUEST WRITERS
But remember, now that we’re doing somewhere between 9 and 12 episodes, I’m happy to report that a lot of our amazing friends have agreed to come join us as guest writers. Here’s a list of writers who have already agreed to come help out:

DAN HARMON, the incredible mind who created Community, hosts the Harmontown podcast, and co-creator of the very funny Rick & Morty.
JUSTIN ROILAND, the other creator of Rick & Morty, as well as a very talented voice actor/comedian/artist, and a huge MSTie.
ROB SCHRAB, an original remote writer for MST3K, co-founder of the seminal Channel 101… and now, director of the next Lego Movie.
NELL SCOVELL, a long-time collaborator and friend, will be “in the house” too. She’s currently writing on the The Muppet Show but has worked on The Simpsons, Newhart and It’s Garry Shandling’s Show, among others.
ERNIE CLINE, the New York Times best-selling author of Ready Player One, which will soon be a movie from Steven Spielberg! If you’ve read RP1, you know how good Ernie is with cultural references.
PAT ROTHFUSS, the New York Times best-selling author of The Name of Wind, has offered to have a “story breakfast” with me and go over “story beats” for the next series… and a few of you can join us!
PAUL & STORM, the hilarious musical act, W00tstock founders and stars, musical contributors to Despicable Me 2, my good friends and the hosts for Friday’s live “Final Countdown Telethon” will be contributing riffs and some special music!
DANA GOULD, the brilliant comedian and former Simpsons writer, who will also probably appear on camera as well for a cameo or two. But actually, that gets into the area of our Guest Cameos, which is a topic I want to save for tomorrow.
ROBERT LOPEZ, the EGOT-winning songwriter from Avenue Q, The Book of Mormon and Frozen, has offered to write some original songs for us!
Pretty cool, huh? I'm excited to have so many new faces and voices helping out. But I also want to make sure it's not "too" new – you know, even as the show changes, I want to make sure we're honoring MST3K's past.
So, like I said, we've now made offers to all of MST's original writers. While it seems like most of them won't be available to join us, at least for now, I still hope they’ll decide to join us later. We'll always be glad to have them back, even if it's just for an episode or two when they can spare some time.

And actually, I'm happy to tell you that a few MST veterans have agreed to come back and “Pitch” in – not just as writers, but in other creative departments too – to make sure MST3K still has the spirit of the little cowtown puppet show you know and love:

CHARLIE ERICKSON,or, as he’s now known in the international DJ scene, Chuck Love, was the musical genius behind the original MST3K theme song, as well as the arranger of the haunting “MST3K Love Theme.” Charlie will be back to work on some new arrangements for us… and hopefully some new music, too!
BEEZ McKEEVER, MST3K’s original “Prop Diva,” will return to design special costumes for the bots. (Watch for her special line in the credits: “Robot Fashions created by Miss Beez of Duluth!”)
CRIST BALLAS, our original MST3K hair and makeup designer – and a long time friend – will also be joining us in that department, as well as plying his real trade: creating Academy Award-winning special effects makeup!
And finally...

PAUL CHAPLIN – old “Pitch” himself! – the veteran writer (over 144 MST3K episodes!) will be back demonstrate his mastery of “the craft we call riff”… and more important, to show the newer MST3K writers how we did it back in the day!
Pretty incredible, huh?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That owns I hope Cline's there the day Mike Nelson comes in for a cameo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I guess we can any assume any jokes about 1980’s movie tie-in cereals were his then

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I actually enjoyed reading Ready Player One. In hindsight it's perfectly obvious that most of what I was enjoying was recognizing 80s stuff :member:, because all the parts that dealt with references I don't know (like the big battle with the giant Japanese robots) left me completely cold. But still, overall reaction? Good silly fun. That's higher praise than I give to most.

At some point I should probably look up Mike's thing about it. And also see the movie, even though it's hard to imagine a way it might not suck.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I can't help it, I'm just weirdly uncomfortable with the voice of Gex writing for MST3K.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I can't help it, I'm just weirdly uncomfortable with the voice of Gex writing for MST3K.

Um you know he's a famous and celebrated comedian and writer and has been in the business for decades, right?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Right, but sometimes you have to shorten a celebrity's resume to just their most important work for brevity's sake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

That owns I hope Cline's there the day Mike Nelson comes in for a cameo.

My understanding of the situation is that the guest writers just got a list of the movies and sent in their own riffs. They weren't showing up to the regular writing room.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
There was a joke somewhere in the season that I swear was borrowed from an old tweet by Matt Oswalt, but that's entirely unsurprising considering Patton was part of the show anyway.

I can't recall the particular joke but if I catch it on a rewatch I'll post it.

I'm also surprised that Brian Posehn wasn't part of the guest writing crew considering his pop culture knowledge and friendship with Oswalt. Having written a run of Deadpool comics should probably instantly qualify you as a guest writer.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

There was a joke somewhere in the season that I swear was borrowed from an old tweet by Matt Oswalt, but that's entirely unsurprising considering Patton was part of the show anyway.

Matt Oswalt wrote for the season too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bicyclops posted:

Dan Harmon is actually a good choice for MST3K, I think, because a good head writer is going to keep him from tyrannically wrestling the overall tone over to a dark, meta-humor well and tossing them into it (which is fine for his shows but not for MST3K), but his genuine love and obsession with film and all of its tropes makes him a great source for a few belly-laugh one-liners.

I'm just imagining Elliott Kalan dealing the Harmon. Kalan being a tiny man and Harmon being an unshaved bigfoot.

And my biggest problem with RP1 is not that people enjoyed it, as Judge John Hodgemen says "people like what they like". Its fine if you enjoyed it while being on the beach or on an airplane or whatever, but the problem is that so many respected publications and such have said "BEST NERD BOOK EVER!". The number of times I heard "Holy Grail of Pop Culture" used to describe it was uncountable.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

The number of times I heard "Holy Grail of Pop Culture" used to describe it was uncountable.

You can only assume the book is "the holy grail of pop culture" if you believe that consumers of pop culture are satisfied so long as you reference pop culture itself, which therefore implies that you're in the camp of "pop culture is just wonderfully disposable formulaic poo poo" which is valid for some people but most often misses the point.

It's like assuming that because you're an MST3K fan that you're instantly a fan of the myriad improv groups who rent out theatres and riff movies, often incredibly poorly. It then follows that if one of those unfunny groups riffed four movies a night for 364 days of a year, they would be "the holy grail for MST3K fans" which would be entirely untrue, unless you worked under the assumption that MST3K fans just like anytime somebody says "FART!" at a movie screen.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't remember anybody mentioning this yet but there's gonna be a Rifftrax Live June 14th with rebroadcast June 19th

https://youtu.be/om4bmMWJKuA

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, this is a stupid question, but for those of you watching this through Google Home on a Chromecast, what the hell do you tell Google to get it to play the revivial? I can't get it to play anything but the original run of the show and I have to run it through my phone, depriving me of the satisfaction of feeling like I'm a powerful future man, controlling the world with my stentorian voice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd assume "Play Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return" which is the official title on Netflix.

Also I don't think you can say you have a stentorian voice unless you're James Earl Jones, Andre Braugher or Ian McKellan.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Classic MST3K and the new season are different titles on Netflix.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'd assume "Play Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return" which is the official title on Netflix.

Also I don't think you can say you have a stentorian voice unless you're James Earl Jones, Andre Braugher or Ian McKellan.

Doesn't work. :(

I tried "The Return," and I think Google only hears so many words before she gets bored with you.

I'm no James Earl Jones, but when I talk to the Home I do a pretty decent Kelsey Grammer.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Does anyone know if Comet has quit running MST3k on Sunday nights now? I just looked at their schedule for tonight and next Sunday and it's not on either week. I mean, I can get my fix elsewhere, but it's disappointing if that's the case. There's just something really nostalgic about watching it on an actual TV channel that I really like.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

On the one hand that’s a bummer. I share your nostalgic sentiment on being able to watch MST with some rabbit ears. On the other hand I swear it’d been non-stop Hercules for the last month or so.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The Hercules entries and Hamlet were by far the most brutal to set through imo

e; oh and Quest of The Delta Knights or whatever that poo poo was. It seemed like SciFi played that all the time

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Yeah I never really got Hamlet. I like the Hercules movies though. "Today is dedicated to Uranus." "Well thank you, I'm flatter- huh?" And who can forget DEEP HURTING?

I don't know why I like Quest of the Delta Knights but I totally do. Maybe it's the 90s Johnathan Taylor Thomas vibe. Plus Pearl takes Mike's place in the theater and it's hilarious.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Quest of the Delta Knights is my favorite sort of bad movie. I would have happily watched it over and over again as a kid with or without the MST3K treatment.

There is just something about pre-Peter Jackson fantasy movies in general that shut off the critical part of my brain and turn me into a kid again.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 28, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The score is easily the best part of that one. It's quite catchy and deserves to be in a better movie.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The score is easily the best part of that one. It's quite catchy and deserves to be in a better movie.

I think there's a good chance it was, at least if Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and its borrowed James Horner soundtrack is any indication.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hamlet is extremely hard to watch all the way through, but I do like that the reason they watch it is Mike uses a bunch of huckster, trickster stuff to trick Pearl into letting him choose the movie, but is then doofy enough to just kind of go "Uh, I dunno, how about Hamlet, by Shakespeare."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The pee-throwing scene, everybody!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

John Murdoch posted:

The pee-throwing scene, everybody!

Hey! That's also David Warner!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Hey! That's also David Warner!

David Warner is a delightful man. He once stayed at a hotel I worked at and came to the desk to get some change. I gave him two 20s and two 5s, which he fanned out and mimicked kissing, and said “Bwahahaha money money money.” I’ve rarely been so charmed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In an interview with audio company Big Finish's executive producer Nick Briggs, Briggs told the story of the first time they worked with Warner. Briggs said after recording they all went out to dinner, and mid way through, Warner points across the table at Briggs and shout "You! Are you in charge here? I want a word with you!" Briggs said he started to panic, thinking "Oh god, we've pissed off David Warner." They stepped off to the side, at which point Warner began to gush about how wonderful a time he had, and would they please consider bringing him back for more?

They've brought him back so much he's considered one of their "rep" actors. Which leads to the anecdote that when Warner saw that Big Finish announced they were doing a project with Sir John Hurt, he called them up to explain that he was old friends with John, but hadn't seen him in years, and would it be all right if he stopped by the recording studio to say hi?

They informed him no, because they were already planning to cast David in the project with John.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

TL posted:

David Warner is a delightful man. He once stayed at a hotel I worked at and came to the desk to get some change. I gave him two 20s and two 5s, which he fanned out and mimicked kissing, and said “Bwahahaha money money money.” I’ve rarely been so charmed.

In an interview with the AV club he talked about working on that movie and said that he wound up playing both roles because the actor playing the villain dropped out. He volunteered to play him so that they could continue production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh no!

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1001844868463906817

Poor one out for Zap