Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
College baseball starts tomorrow, so here's the thread for all your position player pitching, comedy fielding, bat pinging, constant bunting, upset pulling, rain delay jousting needs. No real urgency to check in until May or so, but go check out some games if any are near you. Will try to get to UVA's newly revamped park myself.

Early polls are meaningless but if you must consult them I recommend the CBI Composite, which smooths out the huge anomalies present in any single poll. Short answer is Florida is very good and so is Oregon State. There's no outright Kenpom equivalent, but Boyd's World hosts a few different stat-based ranking systems.

There's tons of info online about NCAA baseball now, and also lots of games on TV or streaming on ESPN3 or conference networks. Scoreboard options are pretty limited: D1Baseball is reliable but costs; the NCAA one is free but slow. Might be best to check individual schools' pages.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Kentucky with straight 8s across the board.

I'll have the chance to watch them a lot this year and plan to do so. I'll be keeping an eye on juniors, OF Tristan Pompey who is one of the top 10-15 college prospects as far as MLB projections go, as well was RHP Sean Hjelle (pronounced "jelly") who is pegged around 20-25.

Here is a link to Baseball America's top 100 draft prospects if you want to look for guys on your team or that might be on your schedule.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech y'all.

Quick team preview:

Has 2 ace pitchers in Juniors Davis Martin and Stephen Gingery (Ging-rie). They'll be taken in the first two rounds of the 2018 draft. 3rd pitcher is Sophomore John McMillan. He's a 2-way player that's pretty good at the plate as well as on the mound.

Offensively, we replace a bunch of production, but some of our Freshmen really started coming on late last year. No real big smashers outside of John McMillan, but a bunch of very, very good on-base guys.

Tech signed a top 25 class according to perfect game, but didn't fare so well with the MLB draft, losing the top pitching prospect and top catcher, but picked up a bunch of solid offensive guys as well as some pitching prospects with potential. Overall, the team is made up of 10 fr, 12 so, 8 jr, 5 sr.

In short: good starting pitching and then a lot of ?? arms afterwards, plus young small ball hitters. Defense might need a few weeks to get it back.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I took photos of the USD V CAL game last night.

album: https://imgur.com/a/2CyP2
I'm a USD student, so I can post pictures I take at games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Those are awesome photos!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Well gently caress. TTU's All-American pitcher has a torn UCL and will miss the season. He'll probably be picked up in the draft, so it's the last TTU has seen of Stephen Gingery and will be a significant loss.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Did Mississippi State abruptly fire their coach or something?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Did Mississippi State abruptly fire their coach or something?

Yea, rumors are he was fooling around with an [edit] athletics staffer [/edit] who was also rumored to be sleeping with Mullen

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 20, 2018

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any College from the state of PA that is remotely worth watching?

Also this explains why when I was looking at the ESPN app a ton of college baseball started appearing in the schedule.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Canizarro's quote was "I had a wonderful opportunity at Mississippi State, but unfortunately I made some poor decisions. I hope Mississippi State University and all of the fans and people affected will one day forgive me."

MSU named Gary Henderson head coach in the aftermath. Henderson was head coach at Kentucky from 2009-2016 and had a few good seasons (great by Kentucky baseball standards) before leaving in a mutual parting of ways as the program had very much stagnated.

He did give the program enough of an infusion of talent and success that the university started treating the program more legitimately to the point that we're getting a new stadium set to open in 2019.

From this:

To this:

All the seats beyond the dugouts in the old/current stadium were temporary seats they installed when UK hosted regional play a number of years ago. It is a bad stadium.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Coach Cann announced earlier in the afternoon that he has accepted a position in the Trump Administration, so good for him landing on his feet

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
The Beavers are 8-0 to start the season. Ranked #1 by College Baseball News, #2 by the rest. Good start for the team, except our All-American 2nd baseman (and top MLB prospect) Nick Madrigal broke his wrist on a slide at the plate, he's out out up to 6 weeks. I think we'll be okay, we have a ton of infield depth, but will definitely will miss his leadership.

Our ace pitcher/sex offender looked okay, he settled down in his second appearance and is gonna be our Friday night guy. Seems like the season will come down to the quality of our starting pitching after Luke.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

bathhouse posted:

The Beavers are 8-0 to start the season. Ranked #1 by College Baseball News, #2 by the rest. Good start for the team, except our All-American 2nd baseman (and top MLB prospect) Nick Madrigal broke his wrist on a slide at the plate, he's out out up to 6 weeks. I think we'll be okay, we have a ton of infield depth, but will definitely will miss his leadership.

Our ace pitcher/sex offender looked okay, he settled down in his second appearance and is gonna be our Friday night guy. Seems like the season will come down to the quality of our starting pitching after Luke.

Sounds about like the Tech prospectus, cept the player Tech lost was their starting pitcher and top MLB draft prospect.

Have only played the one team of note (NMSU), but shut them out. They won a game 39-0 the weekend after TTU beat them 12-0.

Only game we didn't double up the opponent in runs was a 10-6 Monday game where we threw out some deep bullpen guys while up 7-0.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UVA beat William & Mary 4-3 in 11 innings today which maybe sounds pretty standard till you add on that the 6 UVA pitchers combined on a no-hitter.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/sta...ber%3D32%23pti1

https://twitter.com/ScottGordonNBC5...ber%3D32%23pti1

never go full Trump

Also Clemson is doing well, hurray

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 1, 2018

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

#7 Kentucky beat #24 Houston last night 14-2, run ruled in 7 innings. They play Sam Houston State today at 1:00.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech played a 4 game series vs #11 South Alabama. Swept it with the closest game being today's 9-7... shootout.

Even without our top pitcher, this team is realgood.

e: drat, just realized how brutal Tech's schedule is this year. After a midweek game with UNM, Tech spends their spring break in Kentucky with 3 games @ UK and 2 @ Louisville. Kentucky is currently #6 and Louisville #13.

I'd be more than happy to come out of those 5 at 3-2.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 5, 2018

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/972304720084783104

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

One error from perfect. Auburn is having a crazy year so far.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State swept Clemson on the road. Surprising.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Kentucky was swept over the weekend by Arkansas after getting as high as #4 in some polls.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Chief McHeath posted:

Kentucky was swept over the weekend by Arkansas after getting as high as #4 in some polls.

Tech lost 2 of 3 to Baylor after loosing 2 of 3 to Kentucky and 1 of 2 to Louisville the week before.

Rough.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

The Beavs face off against Stanford at home this weekend (#2 vs #3). I'm traveling to Corvallis to take it in. Beavs need to win 2 of 3 to help their regional chances. It's almost impossible for us to win the Pac12 at this point. Losing the series to Utah is killed us. Our sex offender has to win and go deep into the game on Friday for us to have a chance. I assume we'll need a bunch of arms on Saturday and Sunday. Should be a great weekend of baseball!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I guess Scott Stricklin just needed time, Georgia is really good this year and could probably take 2 out of 3 from most anybody right now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think I took some really good ones at my last game. Problem is, two of them were for the other team.

Like this:

And this:

Others were like this

Album is worth checking out. I feel like I had a good game. So did they, home runs out of nowhere sealed it. Last game of the season and #1,000 win for Coach Hill.

https://imgur.com/a/WhXt2Dh

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Those are cool. Especially like that first one. We play a mini-series against SD next Monday and Tuesday, after our biggest match up of the year. Terrible scheduling on our part.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bathhouse posted:

Those are cool. Especially like that first one. We play a mini-series against SD next Monday and Tuesday, after our biggest match up of the year. Terrible scheduling on our part.

Portland? I have some of your men's and women's basketball teams too. We've been kinda streaky lately, but I'm glad our losing streak is over.

Thanks!

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Soulex posted:

Portland? I have some of your men's and women's basketball teams too. We've been kinda streaky lately, but I'm glad our losing streak is over.

Thanks!

Oregon State, actually. Portland is the 2nd best team in the state.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bathhouse posted:

Oregon State, actually. Portland is the 2nd best team in the state.

Apparently we play both. First Portland, than you guys.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Bottom of the 9th in a 4-4 game with one out and the series tied at 1-1 Jordan Greene sends the first pitch he sees out of the ballpark.

He then gets both a Gatorade bath AND a shaving cream pie in the face during the post game interview. Baseball players are awesome!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia swept its season series with Georgia Tech at Suntrust Park today 3-1.

Big four game series with #1 UF coming up, that'll be the bellwether for whether Georgia is any good or not

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue swept Michigan this weekend to clinch 2nd place in the Big Ten and possibly steal Michigan's spot in the the tournament. They're both bubble teams but Michigan was last 4 in and Purdue was last 4 out.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The ACC Tournament kicked off *checks watch* 52 minutes ago, and will go till Sunday. The format now is 4 pools of 3, with each pool winner advancing to the semifinals.

The league has been pretty weird across the board this year, typified by an NC State team winning just about everything and rising as high as #2 nationally until getting swept at home by UNC and staggering a bit, but still getting the 3 seed. Since life is pain, expect UNC to win the thing.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

In a game that doesn't matter because of the silly ACC POD setup, down 3-1 in the 4th Clemson just batted around twice including Logan Davidson hitting a Home Run for both sides of the plate IN THE SAME INNING.

55 minutes
6 pitching changes
6 walks
4 wild pitches
4 home runs
17 runs

Going to the bottom of the 4th. Tigers lead 18-3

I love college Baseball!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn getting hot when it counts, opening the SEC tournament 2-0 with some late heroics. Should be moving up the regional pecking order a lot after late season projections had them in some nasty spots.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

elentar posted:

The ACC Tournament kicked off *checks watch* 52 minutes ago, and will go till Sunday. The format now is 4 pools of 3, with each pool winner advancing to the semifinals.

The league has been pretty weird across the board this year, typified by an NC State team winning just about everything and rising as high as #2 nationally until getting swept at home by UNC and staggering a bit, but still getting the 3 seed. Since life is pain, expect UNC to win the thing.

alternately UNC will lose to bottom seed Pitt and crash out entirely, and then still have to stick around till Friday afternoon to draw dead against GT, amazing format guys

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 24, 2018

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Huge choke by Michigan State, they had Indiana down to their final out but gave up a 3 run homer. A 50/50 call on a steal in the bottom of the 10th goes IU's way, and they single him home for the win on the next pitch. MSU is eliminated and IU dodges a huge bullet.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/999724930949439488

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State lost an irrelevant game to Virginia, though the RPI hit might mean that they won't get to host if they don't win the ACCT. God this format is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/PurdueBaseball/status/999833458032558080

• Locked thread