Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

fatman1683 posted:

Thanks, that's a pretty great deal. Only downside is it doesn't have an IPS display, which I forgot to specify originally as it's pretty important.

On a related note, anyone know how often the Lenovo outlet refreshes? I've been watching a P71 refurb that's 'out of stock', but it's been up for a couple days now and I'm wondering if it will become available at some point or go away.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7572-laptop/cai157w10p1c2629

i7-8550U
8GB upgradeable to 16 at least
Dont know if it has a M2 slot but it has two drive slots
IPS
MX150 is better than the 940mx you were looking at
And the most important feature: Not a refurbished laptop ;)

Chances are there will be a coupon code you can use as well or find it cheaper sold elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7572-laptop/cai157w10p1c2629

i7-8550U
8GB upgradeable to 16 at least
Dont know if it has a M2 slot but it has two drive slots
IPS
MX150 is better than the 940mx you were looking at
And the most important feature: Not a refurbished laptop ;)

Chances are there will be a coupon code you can use as well or find it cheaper sold elsewhere

Nice one, thanks. I'm not a huge fan of Inspirons and in that small a chassis the i7 is probably going to thermal throttle, but it's definitely a good buy. Thanks!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

I dont mind how they do it.

Then you should've been content with the "proprietary power supply" remark, because that's the only way you're going to get >100 W. The current USB PD spec cannot transfer more than that; it's not designed to do so and the devices need to negotiate power transmission, so no device is going to be configured to request more than the spec can deliver.

1gnoirents posted:

I emailed Anker yesterday and they actually responded. They are coming out with USB hubs that can pass through 130-180 watts, but no ETA. They did tell me it'd cost around and look similar to this product

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F2M874

Which ironically has a lot of bad reviews because that one can't pass through enough wattage lol.

You could have a dock that supplies more power, but only 100 W over a single Type C port, with the rest going to the other ports.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Hi, what's the build quality of the HP Elitebooks like? I've been thinking about getting one of the 700 series when the models with the AMD cpu comes out, because I like the look of the specs, but they don't seem to have gotten brought up much in the last couple pages and i'm not really eager to go digging too far back

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The 820 and 840 G1/2/3/4 we use have always been rock solid but I’ve heard a few bad things about cooling and stability on the G5

Be aware the basic screens are still garbage but hey they have proper docks, upgradeable memory and track point buttons still.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

nwin posted:

Well the good news is I guess Lenovo is having a 30% off sale for Memorial Day and the corporate code gets you in early, so I was able to grab something with better specs for the same price.
This deserves more attention. I'd already ordered my T580, but fortunately Lenovo price matched it. Saved like $300!

If the sale had been going on when I purchased I'd have ordered it with a SSD instead of planning to upgrade it myself; that's shaping up to be an ordeal, with special hardware and cables being needed with a $60 price tag and more than a month of lead time...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

You may not want to wait long enough for them to get common/cheap, but we're already starting to see Intel 6-cores in gaming laptops and there's a range of mobile Coffee Lake models up in ark.intel.com so we should be seeing some more mainstream models of laptop with them soon.
If anyone's looking for 6 core laptops, there are deals on 3 models of dell G3s and G7s (the build quality probably isn't as good as other dell models) with 6 core i7-8750H processors for around $1000 right now: https://slickdeals.net/f/11533843-d...earchBarV2Algo1

I don't know how the performance compares to the 4 core i7-7700hq processors in laptops with better cooling though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Atomizer posted:

Then you should've been content with the "proprietary power supply" remark, because that's the only way you're going to get >100 W. The current USB PD spec cannot transfer more than that; it's not designed to do so and the devices need to negotiate power transmission, so no device is going to be configured to request more than the spec can deliver.

You could have a dock that supplies more power, but only 100 W over a single Type C port, with the rest going to the other ports.

Yes sorry thats what i meant by "I dont mind how they do it". As long as its functionally a pass through hub like all the others ill be happy. For now that doesnt seem to exist but it most likely will, even if it takes up two ports on my laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would imagine that there will be a new PD spec that exceeds 100w in the next couple of years.

I really wish the mini USB-C docks did not have a hard wired cable and use a second port instead. The hard wired cables are always 4-6" long and all the cables end up cluttering the table. Give me a 6' cable so I can stuff all that garbage in the drawer or under the table by the power supply. It's 2018 I don't need 60 cables snaking all over my desk anymore.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen USB-PD solution goes to somewhere around 48-52 volts, since you're not going to get much more amperage through the same cables. That voltage range is already semi-common in professional IT gear thanks to power-over-ethernet, which would also make it convenient for those kinds of devices to support a "USB PD next-gen" input as their alternative.

The current standards are limited to 5 amps and 20 volts, for a maximum of 100 watts. If we assume the same amperage limit with a goal of 48 volts delivered to the device (so a bit higher at the source depending on cable length) we're talking 240 watts, which I think is more than enough for any laptop that one could reasonably care about easy portability.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
My trusty T530 seems to be on its way out after four years of hard use and going around the world. After putting in vague search terms for some kind of T-series and getting 200 results, I've decided to trust my major purchasing decisions to strangers on the internet.

Use: Minimal gaming (I guess I played Civ 5 and Pillars of Eternity on low settings a couple times level), no graphic design or rendering, just shitposting and anime

Wants: SSD, 15" screen, another ThinkPad of some variety. HDMI port would be a plus, lighter is a plus, durable and has a CD/DVD drive are musts.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
This might sound sarcastic or stupid, but are there ANY major manufacturers left out there that are shipping a DVD drive on their current gen laptops? I would expect that you'd be stuck with an external.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ok this might be a dumb question but I only ever have put parts in a desktop and never even owned a laptop until 2 years ago. It's a budget one I got on a black friday deal but plays my counter strike just fine. Anyway I bought the less expensive version with a 1tb HDD instead of the one that had an SSD. I'm led to believe that it has some sort of slot to put a laptop ssd in if I had one. My question is is it possible to put a regular desktop SSD in? I have one just sitting around and want the extra space..

This is the laptop
This is the drive I want to put in

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
The Dell Inspiron 15 5000 has modern parts and a DVD drive, but if you hate AMD its out because it uses Ryzen APUs. The 2500U /should/ be able to handle the games but I havent looked too deeply into benchmarks to confirm. There's a few lower end "gaming" laptops that also have an optical drive for whatever reason. Asus has a couple, and Acer has at least one. Lenovo has an Ideapad with a drive but it maxes out at 8GB of ram and is last gen both in CPU and GPU (7200U+MX940)

drunken officeparty posted:

Ok this might be a dumb question but I only ever have put parts in a desktop and never even owned a laptop until 2 years ago. It's a budget one I got on a black friday deal but plays my counter strike just fine. Anyway I bought the less expensive version with a 1tb HDD instead of the one that had an SSD. I'm led to believe that it has some sort of slot to put a laptop ssd in if I had one. My question is is it possible to put a regular desktop SSD in? I have one just sitting around and want the extra space..

This is the laptop

The laptop you have has 1 2.5 slot and an M.2. If you want to add the desktop SSD you would have to remove the 1TB drive, otherwise you'll need an M.2 form factor SSD which looks like this

Arcon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 20, 2018

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
EDIT: Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Red Crown posted:

My trusty T530 seems to be on its way out after four years of hard use and going around the world. After putting in vague search terms for some kind of T-series and getting 200 results, I've decided to trust my major purchasing decisions to strangers on the internet.

Use: Minimal gaming (I guess I played Civ 5 and Pillars of Eternity on low settings a couple times level), no graphic design or rendering, just shitposting and anime

Wants: SSD, 15" screen, another ThinkPad of some variety. HDMI port would be a plus, lighter is a plus, durable and has a CD/DVD drive are musts.

Not a Thinkpad, but this checks most of your boxes.

G-Prime posted:

This might sound sarcastic or stupid, but are there ANY major manufacturers left out there that are shipping a DVD drive on their current gen laptops? I would expect that you'd be stuck with an external.

You can certainly still find built-in optical drives, but they're just not going to be in the thin & light ("Ultrabook") models. For example, see the laptop I linked above.

This is the laptop

Arcon covered this, but let me suggest leaving the HDD in there, adding the SATA m.2 SSD, then reinstalling the OS on the latter (keeping the HDD will let you use it for game/multimedia storage.) All of the expansion (including RAM) is accessible under a single door fastened with IIRC 3 screws:

Left-to-right, the 2.5" bay, m.2 slot, 2xDIMM slots. You could've just flipped your laptop over and discovered this for yourself though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't the mx150 pointless and no better than Intel integrated graphics?

Edit: lol I guess with ram being so expensive it's better just to have the dedicated ram, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 21, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

G-Prime posted:

https://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-5000-Series-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100403040.html

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Arcon posted:

The laptop you have has 1 2.5 slot and an M.2. If you want to add the desktop SSD you would have to remove the 1TB drive, otherwise you'll need an M.2 form factor SSD which looks like this

Is there no such thing as like a sata to m2 adaptor or something? Or an external thing that it can plug into and go through USB (yes I'm aware that would destroy the point of an SSD, I'm just looking for the storage space).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

mystes posted:

Edit: lol I guess with ram being so expensive it's better just to have the dedicated ram, though.

extremely wrong

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mystes posted:

The MX150 is basically a mobile GT1030 (although there are at least two versions with a substantial speed difference, boo Nvidia) which is a lot faster than even current Intel integrated and generally able to trade blows with the Vega in a 2400G. Not really good enough to make a "gaming laptop" but it would be the difference between "unplayable at any settings" and not for some games.

e: but don't take my word for it, here's a source

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 21, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is the laptop

I'm honestly just morbidly curious what you're using an internal optical drive for that you need one built in to your laptop in 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Is there no such thing as like a sata to m2 adaptor or something? Or an external thing that it can plug into and go through USB (yes I'm aware that would destroy the point of an SSD, I'm just looking for the storage space).

You could just put it in a usb enclosure. It wouldn't destroy the point of an ssd either, your random reads would still be much faster than a spinner. It doesn't really make any sense though, why not replace your hard drive with the ssd and put that in the enclosure?

edit:

Hadlock posted:

I'm honestly just morbidly curious what you're using an internal optical drive for that you need one built in to your laptop in 2018

this too, I don't think I've actually needed an optical drive for like 4 years

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Because I already have the ssd. I'm working with a cheap black friday laptop here I'm not exactly Bill Gates.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you don't actually care about the optical drive there are often adapters you can buy or in some cases even 3D print which will allow you to install a SATA 2.5" drive in the bay.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm not exactly Bill Gates.

we get it u like linux

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Outside of my consoles and my car from 2003, I haven't used an optical drive for over a decade.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Because I already have the ssd. I'm working with a cheap black friday laptop here I'm not exactly Bill Gates.

Then yeah, you should get a usb enclosure, put the HDD in that, and install your OS of choice on the SSD youre replacing the HDD with. Should get you the most benefit out your situation anyway.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/2-in-1-always-connected.html are available with free unlimited data from Sprint for X time, and then $15/mo for unlimited data after that (with AutoPay discount).

Laptops that qualify: ASUS NovaGo, HP Envy x2, Lenovo Miix 630

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I think you're missing what I'm saying. Put the SSD in your computer and put the hard drive in an enclosure.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

This ticks pretty much everything I need, my only turn-off is the 256GB SSD. So, I checked out something similar, and it looks like getting the 500GB SSD pushes you up to a higher overall weight class. I'm willing to plop down the extra money for it, as long as there aren't any big red flags here: bad resolution, known poor product quality, better deal from another product line, etc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Red Crown posted:

This ticks pretty much everything I need, my only turn-off is the 256GB SSD. So, I checked out something similar, and it looks like getting the 500GB SSD pushes you up to a higher overall weight class. I'm willing to plop down the extra money for it, as long as there aren't any big red flags here: bad resolution, known poor product quality, better deal from another product line, etc.
Bad resolution, 2 core instead of 4 core, no discrete graphics.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mystes posted:

You could've actually spent 30 seconds to find benchmarks and see for yourself how wrong you are instead of getting ridiculed in this thread by everyone else! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you're going for at this point, but there are indeed m.2 internal adapters/enclosures in addition to USB enclosures. Again, I'm not sure what you want at this point because you inquired about adding an SSD, were interested in m.2, but apparently have a 2.5" drive lying around. :shrug:

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/2-in-1-always-connected.html are available with free unlimited data from Sprint for X time, and then $15/mo for unlimited data after that (with AutoPay discount).

Laptops that qualify: ASUS NovaGo, HP Envy x2, Lenovo Miix 630

Oh god, those are the ARM-based Windows laptops. No thanks, we've been down this road before!

Red Crown posted:

That other laptop you found is a worse version (WXGA instead of FHD display and the other things mystes noted) of the one I recommended, and as I just mentioned in the post you quoted, you can upgrade the storage yourself via m.2/NGFF and/or a 2.5" bay:

Atomizer posted:

Arcon covered this, but let me suggest leaving the HDD in there, adding the SATA m.2 SSD, then reinstalling the OS on the latter (keeping the HDD will let you use it for game/multimedia storage.) All of the expansion (including RAM) is accessible under a single door fastened with IIRC 3 screws:

Left-to-right, the 2.5" bay, m.2 slot, 2xDIMM slots. You could've just flipped your laptop over and discovered this for yourself though.

If the included 256 GB SSD isn't enough, you can very easily replace it yourself (and potentially resell the original for like $60-80 if you have nothing else to do with it) or just add whatever you want in that 2.5" bay, although it looks like for Acer laptops that don't come with that bay occupied, you have to request the mounting hardware.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Atomizer posted:

I'm not sure what you're going for at this point, but there are indeed m.2 internal adapters/enclosures in addition to USB enclosures. Again, I'm not sure what you want at this point because you inquired about adding an SSD, were interested in m.2, but apparently have a 2.5" drive lying around. :shrug:

I want the exact opposite of that adapter. A way to plug in a 2.5" drive into the m.2 slot.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Technically this exists but the next serious question is going to be "Where do you intend to put this drive? The M.2 hole is not big enough, and there's not room for another 2.5 drive" at which point you are taking the HDD out anyway and should have just plugged the SSD into the sata port already accessible from that position. Im legitimately surprised they make these things, the usecases for them is few and far between. "Guy sits with laptop back open 24/7" and "Computer toucher has to check the port and just wants to use his normal sata ssd for testing instead of buying a full M.2 drive" are about all that comes to mind immediately.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
What laptops out there have 3x3 or 4x4 MU-MIMO wave2 802.11ac WiFi built in? I need one for testing purposes.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Arcon posted:

Technically this exists but the next serious question is going to be "Where do you intend to put this drive? The M.2 hole is not big enough, and there's not room for another 2.5 drive" at which point you are taking the HDD out anyway and should have just plugged the SSD into the sata port already accessible from that position. Im legitimately surprised they make these things, the usecases for them is few and far between. "Guy sits with laptop back open 24/7" and "Computer toucher has to check the port and just wants to use his normal sata ssd for testing instead of buying a full M.2 drive" are about all that comes to mind immediately.

Depending on just how unwiedly it would be, I am willing to keep the laptop back open 24/7. I just use it as a desktop anyway. It stays plugged in and I haven't moved it as a portable computer since I bought it.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

What laptops out there have 3x3 or 4x4 MU-MIMO wave2 802.11ac WiFi built in? I need one for testing purposes.

I think they top out at 2x2; at least the good Intel part and the newest Killer one does.

Depending on just how unwiedly it would be, I am willing to keep the laptop back open 24/7. I just use it as a desktop anyway. It stays plugged in and I haven't moved it as a portable computer since I bought it.

Well, if you're serious about being crazy, I suppose the next concern is powering the drive, since I don't think that adapter had power. After that, cross your fingers and hope it works. No promises it will work, never used it, etc.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
In mid june I'm going to be traveling for a month or so and during this time, would like to get some work done. I'd like something super, super cheap (in case it get's stolen or something) that I can run linux on and android studio. Those are basically my only requirements.

I read the op and was looking at the Asus X205, but I'd like at least 8gb of RAM. Any other recommendations for something in like, the $300 range that I can install linux on and just use for programming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

sausage king of Chicago posted:

In mid june I'm going to be traveling for a month or so and during this time, would like to get some work done. I'd like something super, super cheap (in case it get's stolen or something) that I can run linux on and android studio. Those are basically my only requirements.

I read the op and was looking at the Asus X205, but I'd like at least 8gb of RAM. Any other recommendations for something in like, the $300 range that I can install linux on and just use for programming?

i think the easiest thing thatll meet this requirement is going to be a refurbed lenovo x230 off ebay or something