Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPV_bL_YOho

I honestly have no idea what thread to post this in because it's like ambient/post-rock/electronic/trance fusion, but this new Jon Hopkins album is so loving good, holy poo poo.

this real good

so’s the new Courtney Barnett

year’s been good so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Can't wait for the new album from c

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/19/17372526/grimes-c-boucher-name-change-elon-musk

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Uh dude you didn’t italicize it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
c Boucher run

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

c:\Windows\system32\musk_takeover.exe

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Tesla model c-grime incoming

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slandible posted:

I've mentioned them before, but I finally got to see Charly Bliss tonight and oh my, they are incredible. Insane amounts of energy and a total freaking blast of a show. They are wrapping up their tour currently, but they are a must see in my book.

They're apparently coming to Chicago in October with Death Cab so I guess I should set me some tickets.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I saw Andrew WK last night and that show loving ruled highly recommended if you can make it to one.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

They're apparently coming to Chicago in October with Death Cab so I guess I should set me some tickets.

I'm glad to get more people on Charly Bliss hype. I've had their album going all year long and cant get enough of it.

Going through my current year playlist, I am trying to find stuff I frequent more. I think this White Reaper track has been coming up a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxtnTUrnres

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slandible posted:

I'm glad to get more people on Charly Bliss hype. I've had their album going all year long and cant get enough of it.

Going through my current year playlist, I am trying to find stuff I frequent more. I think this White Reaper track has been coming up a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxtnTUrnres

White Reaper's record was from last year

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Doesn't matter, it is also good when played in this year

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Glass Animals was very good and energetic live. Would recommend.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
those peanut butter vibes, man

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Last night, I saw Chvrches on a stage that was way too small for them. Having a drummer on stage didn't help the spacing much (they have a drummer touring with them now, by the way!). BUT it was a really fun show and the new material sounded great. I can't wait to hear the new album in full in a few days.

Looking back, I've seen a lot of great shows this month. Courtney Barnett, White Reaper, Wye Oak, Florence + the Machine, Margaret Glaspy, Maren Morris, Arctic Monkeys, Car Seat Headrest, HAIM, Middle Kids...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BadSamaritan posted:

Glass Animals was very good and energetic live. Would recommend.
I really wanted to see them last time they came through here but the tickets were like loving $50 before fees. I didn't want to see them that badly.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Glass Animals rule live, would also recommend.

interpunct posted:

Last night, I saw Chvrches on a stage that was way too small for them. Having a drummer on stage didn't help the spacing much (they have a drummer touring with them now, by the way!). BUT it was a really fun show and the new material sounded great. I can't wait to hear the new album in full in a few days.

Looking back, I've seen a lot of great shows this month. Courtney Barnett, White Reaper, Wye Oak, Florence + the Machine, Margaret Glaspy, Maren Morris, Arctic Monkeys, Car Seat Headrest, HAIM, Middle Kids...

Jealous. Forever sounds like a cool track. I'm glad they're closing with Clearest Blue now, such a great live song. It will definitely be interesting to see them play with a drummer, excited to see them this fall.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

interpunct posted:

Nice. I am hoping they add more stops on their tour, they aren't coming even close to my area.

Did the drums really add much? Feels like their music can just back track it to better effect.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Dude, this is a great photo. It looks like she's looking right at you!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://www.thefader.com/2018/05/22/grimes-elon-musk-union-busting-fake-news-tesla

grimes is actually cancelled

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Tesla choker permanently rewired her brain

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Slandible posted:

Nice. I am hoping they add more stops on their tour, they aren't coming even close to my area.

Did the drums really add much? Feels like their music can just back track it to better effect.

I hope you’ll get to see them this album cycle!

To answer your question: I, personally, feel like the live drums add a new dimension to their live show which got kind of repetitive after repeat viewings.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Dude, this is a great photo. It looks like she's looking right at you!

Thanks! Hahah, I felt kind of bad just taking a few photos because it looked like half the front row was just holding their phones up all night.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Do I want to see Courtney Barnett here next week? I really like her new album.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

britishbornandbread posted:

Do I want to see Courtney Barnett here next week? I really like her new album.

Assuming it’s not already sold out, yes, you should absolutely go especially if you really like her new album because (setlist spoiler) she performs the entire album from beginning to end.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I can attest to Barnett from her last album tour. She's very meek addressing the crowd, but is completely different when she's playing. She is very much into her music and it shows.

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I remember when I saw panda bear the show was mostly ok, but there was a girl next to me who yelled “I LOVE ACID” in between songs

I love AnCo's and most of Panda Bear's music, but holy poo poo their fans are the most retarded things ever. It's the absolute zenith of the type of person who thinks they're super smart and/or enlightened because of the type of music they listen to while actually being a tremendous dickhead. I like seeing them live, but just tend to stick to myself.

Speaking of, I actually just saw Panda a couple of weeks ago, and he did a bunch of new stuff which sounded alright. I also overall liked his new EP.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

The new Chvrches is very good. I was a little concerned with some of the singles they released but I am pleasantly surprised how this turned out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
the new parquet courts album is super good, and this is coming from a guy whose reaction to each previous parquet courts album is to yell "why?? why are these guys namedropped so much??" into my monitor while shrugging violently.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Shoshie posted:

I love AnCo's and most of Panda Bear's music, but holy poo poo their fans are the most retarded things ever. It's the absolute zenith of the type of person who thinks they're super smart and/or enlightened because of the type of music they listen to while actually being a tremendous dickhead. I like seeing them live, but just tend to stick to myself.

Speaking of, I actually just saw Panda a couple of weeks ago, and he did a bunch of new stuff which sounded alright. I also overall liked his new EP.

I loved "A Day With The Homies"

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

the new parquet courts album is super good, and this is coming from a guy whose reaction to each previous parquet courts album is to yell "why?? why are these guys namedropped so much??" into my monitor while shrugging violently.

I like Human Performance way more, but Wide Awake is good too. They played with Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever earlier this month, that would have been a hell of a show.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah freebird 2 is one of my favorite songs this year so far

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I can't tell casual indie fans that I'm an Animal Collective fan without also having to internally cringe.

Also Panda Bear's last three LPs are their best overall work in my opinion. I think I am a bigger fan of his than them as a collective, and nothing very memorable has come from any of the others solo output.

I still have liked some of those releases enough, but never really went back to them after the few month new hype train.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I saw that Courtney Barnett has Waxahatchee opening for her in Paris... at the Bataclan.

I wonder how eerie that venue must be now. I went there a year after the attack and it was still closed.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I had to go look it up and saw they reopened it only a year after the attack. Holy hell, I figured that place would have been condemned.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I just discovered White Lies and holy gently caress is Friends ever an amazing album and how was I under such a rock ~!

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
seriously do not sleep on that parquet courts album i’ve been playing it so much, definitely their best album

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

DasNeonLicht posted:

Outstanding lighting and a great live performance. The percussionists and keyboardist did a lot of heavy lifting for the live sound, and Karin and her backup singers were truly outlandish. A one-of-a-kind experience, and still great for someone like me doesn't really care for the new album. The way the old songs were reinterpreted was pretty surprising, and it was so good to hear songs like "When I Grow Up" and "Concrete Walls" live.

Fever Ray and The Knife have been fairly good to Chicago with tour dates in the past, but this was the first time (I think?) she visited DC, and I don't know if she'll ever come back, so I couldn't miss the opportunity, and I'm glad I didn't.

I saw Fever Ray in DC as well (front row what what) and was kind of disappointed. The theatrics wore off after five songs, and I didn't like the reinterpretation of the old songs, such as all the percussion on Triangle Walks. The tour for the first album in 2009 was so much more memorable.

Also, a big gently caress you to the insufferable belligerent gay couple at the front. You didn't ruin my night, but you may very well have done so to others.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

For whatever reason new Chvrches just isn't working for me and it's kinda a bummer. In better news, Peach Kelli Pop released a new album the same day and so far I'm a big fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW31uyNVRFU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I like a few songs just like the last one.. but they are so big now they will still have tons of fans showing up even with something very mediocre.

It's telling I saw Chvrches set list still has most songs from any of the three LPs being the first one.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Like personally I liked Every Open Eye just as much if not more than the first album. On paper them going even further in a pop direction works for me. I'm all about pop music, or at least stuff that's catchy and hook driven. But this isn't what I wanted and with me being kinda bad at articulating why I do or don't like a particular album all I can say is that the chorus of Miracle sounds like it came from a Imagine Dragons song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I don't think I dislike it, but it does feel weaker than either Bones & EoE. Still, it's better they try to expand in someway then continue making the same stuff.