Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What is this?
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is basically the all in one package version of Hyrule Warriors(WiiU)/Hyrule Warriors: Legends(3DS), for the Nintendo Switch. Basically the MK8:D version of those games. If you've missed out on the Wii U or 3DS entries, this is a warriors/muso game but with Legend of Zelda. If you don't know what a muso/warriors game is, it's basically a "murder hordes of little enemies with flashy combos" game. You can pick from a huge variety of characters from the Zelda series ranging from the obvious (Link, Zelda), to the weird (Tingle), to the slightly obscure (Agitha from Twilight Princess, Marin from Link's Awakening)

What's new?
  • If you've only played the Wii U version: Likely a lot. The Wii U version had it's own wave of DLC before the 3DS version added its own content + another big wave of DLC. On top of new characters, weapons and adventure mode maps, Legends Mode added a few story missions related to Wind Waker, as well as some side story missions featuring Linkle. Some missions will now also allow you to select multiple warriors that you can switch between on the fly.
  • If you played the 3DS version: I skipped out on it, but I understand most of the content is the same, but a lot of character and weapon unlocks have been moved around in adventure mode to be better integrated.
  • Item cards in adventure mode can now just be purchased for rupees once you've seen them once.
  • Pretty much all the characters from Legend mode / the non DLC Wii U roster start out unlocked, as does Legend Mode, which no longer has progression gates related to Legends mode.

How do I unlock <x>?

Items:
  • The bow/bombs/etc. are all unlocked through Legends Mode, you might want to play through that first since those items are nearly critical for fighting giant bosses.
  • The Hammer comes from the Wind Waker arc at the end of legends mode.
Characters:
  • Most of the unlockable characters are on the first adventure map which isn't too tough and should be something you can work through without too much extra effort. Some of them are fairly deep into the map though, and will take a bit of time to get to.
  • Tetra, King Daphnes and Medli are all available on the Great Sea map fairly early in, the first two are also unlocked in Legends Mode if you play through the Wind Walker arc.
  • Marin is on the Koholint map and available like on the first or second mission there.
  • Ravio and Yuga are on the Lorule map, which is marked as the hardest adventure map, but the characters themselves are in fairly easy sections of the map. Ravio is only a few missions deep, and the section of the map Yuga is in can be accessed by a warp wall a mission or two after that. (Wait for the message about being able to use the warp wall before trying to use the item on it.)
  • Toon Zelda is on the Grand Travels map, similar to Ravio, not too deep in, and not through any particularly hard missions.
Weapons:
Alternate moveset weapons:
Link's Fire Rod, and Lana's Spear are unlocked in Legend's mode.
The remainder are on the first adventure mode map, with I think just Toon Link's Sand Wand being on the Grand Travels map. I haven't tried for that yet but it doesn't look to be too deep in the map.

Folt the Bolt made a detailed post with all the weapon upgrade unlock locations. But they follow a mostly logical path of rank 2s in Great Sea, and Rank 3s in Master Mode maps. Characters found in the later maps generally have their weapons also on those maps. (Ravio and Yuga both have fairly easy to access rank 2 weapons.)

Tips, Tricks, etc.

• You should probably play through Legends Mode first the unlocks and levels you'll gain from it will give you a good leg up on adventure mode, plus the items are basically needed for taking down giant bosses, but adventure mode will prompt you when trying to start a mission that you don't have the item for.
  • Go into the menu and check Warrior Info->Check Combos whenever playing a new character/weapon - some characters have extra gimmicks to their weapons that are usually explained here.
  • Use the Command function if you have multiple playable characters New from the 3DS version, you can pause and go to the "Command" option to give orders to the other characters. Point them to a keep or a baddie and it'll prevent them from sitting around and doing nothing. This is also useful for...
  • Multiple heroes around a Giant Boss will give you advantages against it Having multiple playable warriors around a giant boss will give you a bunch of buffs that will make it easier to take down. Use the command function to get all your warriors to the boss. (This won't work until you've played a few legends mode levels and the game tells you about the feature.) One of the bonuses for teaming up is gaining a bunch of magic, which ties into...
  • Ending a Focus Spirit (Magic Gauge) early will force a weak point on bosses and warriors pressing A after starting you magic gauge will end it early, but cause anything hit by it to go into the weak point state.
  • Blocking (ZL) enemy warriors/captains makes them more likely to do a special and cause a weak point.
  • You don't need to kill everything. Generally speaking you can ignore small monsters - focus on enemies with names and health bars, particularly around keeps. Outposts aren't particularly important so don't go out of your way for them.
  • Pay attention to the map and warnings. You get a lot of warnings and updates on objectives, but you want to pay special attention to ones that sound particularly dire (x is about to flee, x is about to fall)
  • You can press and hold the dash button to immediately start running.
  • A-Rank requirements for kill counts have gone up a bit from the 3DS version. On the full battle style adventure mode maps, you'll occasionally need 1600+ KOs for an A-Rank so hit that if you want to be on the safe side.
  • You can sometimes get around character limitations/requirements Some missions will require you to select a specific character, or offer rewards for a specific character, but will also allow you to select an additional character. You can safely use the secondary character for the entire mission and still get all the rewards for the primary character.
  • You can only get one skulltula per mission most missions have two skulltulas in them, but you'll have replay the mission to get the second.
  • The "My Fairy" feature is unlocked through adventure mode. You'll need to do a mission that lists a fairy as a reward, be sure to break any pots in keeps on these missions and you should get one. Not to be mistaken for the elemental fairies that are in the centre of keeps in certain missions.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Additional info, tips, and strategy:
Elemental Weakness Chart from Reddit

Folt The Bolt posted:

There's a map in Lorule where you can grind upwards of 10000+ KOs in around 20 minutes (its the mission right below Ravio's Lv. 2 weapon mission). Said mission spawns 3 Summoners who will summon mooks for quite a while as you complete the first mission. If you have the Rupee effect added to the Ravio board (use a Bomb item), you can get upwards of 60000-80000 rupees per go battling the summoned mooks, or upwards of 90000-100000 rupees and more per go if you have the Rupee+ skill on your weapon, as well as 100+ Rock materials to use for any Apothecary items requiring bronze materials. On top of that, it's pretty doable with a Lv. 30 character and with the EXP+ skill, you can also get a decent amount of levels for a low-level character as you farm the other stuff.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 22, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The A-rank requirements is 16k, not 14, for the harder maps. Other than that good OP.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Game good but doesn’t run at a solid 60 docked. Mostly around 40 with it going into 60 when you look at a wall or a rock.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Linkle owns.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Overbite posted:

Game good but doesn’t run at a solid 60 docked. Mostly around 40 with it going into 60 when you look at a wall or a rock.

Were people expecting the game to run at a smooth 60? This game has way too much happening on screen to hope for that.

This game rules despite that by the way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is a cool and good thread for a cool and good game :yeah:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

^burtle posted:

Linkle owns.

I was kind of expecting her to be another Lana (okay but kind of annoying) but she just owns. Her crossbow moveset is absolutely great. Still need to try the boots.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

^burtle posted:

Linkle owns.

I want and need a spin-off series of lighthearted adventures.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

HPanda posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the plot of Hyrule Warriors: (kind of spoilers I guess?) http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/git-it-gurl

This needs to be in the thread.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Grabbed this yesterday and played through the first half dozen story missions. I feel like they're taking me way longer to finish than the game expects, though maybe it's just me learning to prioritize and learn the ropes in my first Warriors game. It was taking me 20-30 minutes to clear each level and 40 for the first spider. Maybe I should be giving orders more often (ie, constantly).

Also I did the first little area in Adventure, and the second area with the elemental (??) fairy stuff didn't make immediate sense and I failed, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Were people expecting the game to run at a smooth 60? This game has way too much happening on screen to hope for that.

This game rules despite that by the way.

It's hardly an unreasonable expectation since Fire Emblem Warriors had that performance mode which helped out a lot.

It'd be cool if they patched that in at some point.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oxyclean posted:

I was kind of expecting her to be another Lana (okay but kind of annoying) but she just owns. Her crossbow moveset is absolutely great. Still need to try the boots.

Lana would be 10x better if she would just shut up. Her voice is the worst. She's a fun character with cool weapons and movesets but THAT VOICE uuuuugh.

Anyway being able to buy item cards alone is worth the price of admission, I think. That'll make getting through Adventure mode soooooooooo much less tedious when I don't have to clear this map to get a compass so I can get a bomb so I can get an ice arrow so I can get a hookshot to use on that map to get a weapon unlock. :suicide:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Lana would be 10x better if she would just shut up. Her voice is the worst. She's a fun character with cool weapons and movesets but THAT VOICE uuuuugh.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with what I was getting at. Also the Deku Spear is almost downright awful because not only does it suck, it sucks slowly. The one thing I really wish I had in this game was some kind of animation skip for special attacks and weak point attacks. Some of them are just obnoxiously drawn out.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Anyone know the easiest route to get Toon Zelda? I tried it a while ago and got dunked (though, admittedly, I was exceedingly low level) and was looking to give it another try but this being the first time I really played the game navigating the adventure map is a logistical nightmare of a puzzle

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Mostly good OP. It should probably also be noted that Medli, Marin, and Toon Zelda also have their Lv. 2 weapons be relatively early and easy to get on the MWW, Koholint, and GT maps. (Basically, if you can get a Rank 2 weapon relatively easily on the latter missions of the Great Sea Map, you should be able to get it on the other maps with Rank 2 Weapons.)

I'd also note that the Imprisoned you see on the elemental weakness chart refers to the mini-Imprisoned you occasionally need to fight as they're treated like regular officers in terms of power. You will also note how Lightning and Water are very good for hitting some of the most dangerous enemy officers in the game (Lightning gets Dinolfos, Aeralfos, and Shield Moblins, Water gets Lizalfos and Fiery Aeralfos and, for this game only, Redead Knights). Light and Dark hit a lot of characters for supereffective damage with the tradeoff that the regular enemies they hit are the weakest and rarest regular enemy officers. Fire... kinda blows in terms of effective damage, which would have made it the least preferred primary element if it wasn't for the fact that the effect on Water element attacks is loving garbo.

Also, elemental damage is determined by the weapon you use, not the moveset's various elemental attacks, which means that all of Sheik's attacks, from her normal string to her water tornado to her fire meteor, etc. etc. will always deal more damage to characters/enemies weak against Lightning like Ruto or Dinolfos (which leads to the funny image of Ruto taking increased damage to a loving water tornado of all things) while Ganondorf with his Lv. 4+ weapon would now deal increased damage to characters like Midna, Ghirahim, and Zant in addition to who he normally hits for supereffective damage like Link and Zelda, with all of his attacks due to the addition of the Light attribute to that weapon.

Now, I'll finish up my elemental weakness stuff and talk about giant bosses. Unlike regular characters/enemies, giant bosses take neutral damage from any element. Unlike regular characters/enemies, their WPGs are emptied quicker by the correct elemental attack: these elemental attacks usually apply the corresponding elemental effect to regular enemies which give you a good hint as to what will be effective against which boss's WPG when all is said and done. As for which boss's WPG is emptied faster by which elemental attack is as follows:

King Dodongo's WPG is emptied out further by Water-elemental attacks.
Gohma's WPG is emptied out further by Dark-elemental attacks.
Manhandla's WPG is emptied out further by Fire-elemental attacks.
Argorok's WPG is emptied out further by Lightning-elemental attacks.
The Imprisoned's WPG is emptied out further by Light-elemental attacks.
Ganon's WPG is emptied out further by Light-elemental attacks.
Helmaroc King's WPG is emptied out further by Fire-elemental attacks.
Phantom Ganon's WPG is emptied out further by Light-elemental attacks.

What stumps most people is that elemental damage and elemental attacks are not the same thing in this game. elemental damage is determined by weapon and is what affects character and officer enemy weaknesses. Elemental attacks are assigned to each individual attack in a moveset (an attack is either neutral which doesn't affect anything or of one of the five elements which typically comes with the corresponding elemental effect) and is what determines if the attack can down a particular Giant Boss's WPG faster than any other.

And as some people know, certain bosses recover from their particular downed state faster than others which means that Light elemental attacks are extremely useful to have for a boss killer, then comes Fire, Dark, and Lightning-elemental attacks in that order. Water-elemental attacks is the least useful elemental attack to have because King Dodongo, the only one whose WPG takes more damage from Water-element attacks is also the boss that recovers the slowest which means that the majority of the characters can easily take his WPG down in one go with the right attacks. This is why Sheik, whose C3 is Fire-elemental will empty Manhandla's WPG faster than it would against, say, Argorok.

Bonus Lesson: So some might wonder why people say water is the worst element in HW when clearly Fire isn't hitting very many (hard) enemies for supereffective damage? Well, that is all because of it's elemental effect. See, Water applies a damage-over-time effect to the enemy which sounds good. What is not so good is that said effect makes the enemies flinch whenever that damage applies which is very bad if you're doing a combo on them as the flinch makes them fall out of your combos and tanks your character's combo potential (and damage output by proxy). In contrast, Fire's effect is not good, but not bad either, Light is fine when you can apply it which you can't really plan around (but when you can take advantage of it, it works very well), Lightning applies a very useful increased damage output to launched enemies which increases damage output, and Dark vastly increases (and continues to increase to a very good max) damage against a single enemy which is actually incredibly useful since most strong enemies are dispatched through 1v1. One of the best water-element users: King Daphnes, avoids the Water effect entirely for his combos since the ones that do apply it (C4, C6) are his crowdclearers while the attacks used for his actual combos (C2, C3, C5) are neutral.

By contrast, Water as a secondary element on a Lv. 4+ weapon is actually very good because of the difference between elemental damage and elemental attacks outlined above. Weapons without Water-element attacks gain all the benefits of dealing supereffective damage to regular enemies without the horrible Water effect tanking their combo potential. The element that is the worst secondary element is of course Fire because you get the smallest (and least useful) supereffective pool of enemies and won't empty Manhandla and Helmaroc King's WPGs faster than normal.

Also, if you're wondering which characters are the best of their respective elements when given to the hands of an experienced player, here's the generally agreed upon list:

Fire: Volga
Water: Ruto & King Daphnes
Lightning: Yuga
Light: Master Sword!Link
Dark: Great Sword!Ganondorf, Young Link, & Skull Kid

Whereas if you want to know which characters of each element that is the best to use when you're just starting out and learning the game, here's another list:

Fire: Magic Rod!Link, Volga, Linkle
Water: Giant Blade!Impa, Marin
Lightning: Sheik, Book of Sorcery!Lana, Trident!Ganondorf
Light: Hylian Sword!Link, Master Sword!Link
Dark: Great Sword!Ganondorf, Cia, Twili Midna, Skull Kid

Jade Mage posted:

Anyone know the easiest route to get Toon Zelda? I tried it a while ago and got dunked (though, admittedly, I was exceedingly low level) and was looking to give it another try but this being the first time I really played the game navigating the adventure map is a logistical nightmare of a puzzle

Get your character to lv. 10-15 and a decent Rank 1 weapon. Remember to pick up a Cannon item card because you need it to bomb a rock on her square (one is gotten easily on the Spirit Tracks side).

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 22, 2018

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

I'll have to go look at my game when I get home to see what I did but by the time I finished Legend mode I want to say my link was around level 40-50 with the master sword, which made getting through any mission where I could use him fairly easy.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Get your character to lv. 10-15 and a decent Rank 1 weapon. Remember to pick up a Cannon item card because you need it to bomb a rock on her square (one is gotten easily on the Spirit Tracks side).

Oxyclean posted:

I'll have to go look at my game when I get home to see what I did but by the time I finished Legend mode I want to say my link was around level 40-50 with the master sword, which made getting through any mission where I could use him fairly easy.

Thank you both, I'll take a look when I get off work, I just was looking around for a cannon and the only even relatively close I could find was limited to Toon Zelda :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Thank you both, I'll take a look when I get off work, I just was looking around for a cannon and the only even relatively close I could find was limited to Toon Zelda :v:

Also, for the actual mission itself, it's a divisive plan mission which means you'll be fighting a Dark version of a character that split themselves upon losing enough health. I recommend going in with a dark user (preferably Ganondorf with Great Sword since his C1 when fully charged makes you immune to damage as he's rising for the ground punch).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i like to find the enemies and then hit them

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Also, lmao: I was doing Zelda's Dominion Rod mission with Ganondorf as the second playable character and the battle intro for Ganondorf when I finally went to face him showed him riding his steed and levitating using the Wind Waker attire since that was the costume I had on him at the time. :allears:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Does anyone have updated information on where the best place to get materials and such are?

Back in the OG HW you had to hunt all over the place but i think you can get everything easily and more quickly in the challenge modes now?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/Folt99/status/999054463137546240

Gonna experiment with this once I get more costumes/recolors for Ganondorf.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fire Emblem Musou was disappointing in some respects, but I seriously hope they patch some of the QOL stuff back into this one because I love the gently caress out of this game.

What's the mechanics for fairies in this game? in the 3ds version they worked off Magic meter and it looks like they have their own meter now? how do you build it? and are double shadow fairies still the default best?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really wanna try Adventure maps besides the first one, but apparently I’m barred from the Wind Waker map until I get the hammer. I finished the Epilogue, where was the hammer supposed to show up?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Complete Cia and Linkle's story. It's in the first map of the wind waker epilogue that comes after,

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh blah, fine...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's unbelievably hosed up that the item card vendor on the Great Sea adventure map isn't Beedle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Okay, so one of the keeps in this adventure mode map has a fairy in it. I captured the keep, I got the fairy, and I even broke all the jars in the keep just to make sure, but no new fairy showed up in fairy mode. What did I miss?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

the fairy was pissed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bongo Bill posted:

Okay, so one of the keeps in this adventure mode map has a fairy in it. I captured the keep, I got the fairy, and I even broke all the jars in the keep just to make sure, but no new fairy showed up in fairy mode. What did I miss?

I think the assistant fairy collectibles are different from the ones you pick up to dispel a barrier, like they might be in oot-style fairy jars

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Bongo Bill posted:

Your princess was in another castle.

That is to say, the fairy on the minimap is the elemental fairy used to neutralize another keep's field effect. The fairy you want to collect was in a jar in a DIFFERENT keep on the map, most likely. Go back and smash literally every brown pot on the map. Yes, this is a big stupid thing. Also, the audiovisual cue for picking up the fairy is the same as picking up low-relevance items like crafting materials, so its easy to miss when you do get it. But it's there, in a brown pot somewhere on the map.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Alrighty folks you ready for a riddle? I'm playing the Termina Map, the world ended and I started adventuring east because I see a sweet Zelda weapon I'm hoping is my beloved baton. Get to area 4 down 13 across (the one with the goron face). "Sup, the enemies are hidden and need to be revealed"

Okay... So where are the Zora masks to reveal them? There's one right there, but I can't get past 4d-13a to get to it. I check to the south, nada. I check to the north, nada. Okay they must be west... There they are! I start mapping the route and lo and behold, 4d6a has hidden loving enemies that need to be revealed.

How the gently caress does this work, can someone who knows what they're doing explain to me what the hell is happening here?

My map for reference

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Robotic Accolade posted:

Your princess was in another castle.

That is to say, the fairy on the minimap is the elemental fairy used to neutralize another keep's field effect. The fairy you want to collect was in a jar in a DIFFERENT keep on the map, most likely. Go back and smash literally every brown pot on the map. Yes, this is a big stupid thing. Also, the audiovisual cue for picking up the fairy is the same as picking up low-relevance items like crafting materials, so its easy to miss when you do get it. But it's there, in a brown pot somewhere on the map.

Thanks. Features with similar names to each other aren't always explained clearly, I'm discovering.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Alrighty folks you ready for a riddle? I'm playing the Termina Map, the world ended and I started adventuring east because I see a sweet Zelda weapon I'm hoping is my beloved baton. Get to area 4 down 13 across (the one with the goron face). "Sup, the enemies are hidden and need to be revealed"

Okay... So where are the Zora masks to reveal them? There's one right there, but I can't get past 4d-13a to get to it. I check to the south, nada. I check to the north, nada. Okay they must be west... There they are! I start mapping the route and lo and behold, 4d6a has hidden loving enemies that need to be revealed.

How the gently caress does this work, can someone who knows what they're doing explain to me what the hell is happening here?

My map for reference

Go north and to the right: You need the Goron Mask to reveal the hidden enemies.

(BTW you are right in that the Zelda weapon down in the east there is the Baton.)

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Go north and to the right: You need the Goron Mask to reveal the hidden enemies.

(BTW you are right in that the Zelda weapon down in the east there is the Baton.)

Aw hell you're right. Thanks a million!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
No Breath of the Wild additions? Aw. (Maybe fresh DLC? Though they didn't do that for MK8...)

Anyway I never got the 3DS edition due to the tech problems so this will be another re-bought game!

They kind of have to, since all Nintendo has for new character fighters since the WiiU/3DS version are her, the Inklings/Octolings, the Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 cast, and maybe some Pokemon. (The Animal Crossing cast never gets to be fighters.) Even if Smash on Switch is just a port of that one they gotta add something new besides including the DLC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They literally put out a game of people punching each other with arms.

And they'll have another 3 fire emblem characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Is there any particular reason other than sheer completion to get an A rank on a mission if there aren't any A rank rewards or adjacent map unlocks?