Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the tips! I actually got to Meridian last time I played, a couple of months ago. I helped the drunk guy to look for his sister or something. How long until the sci-fi stuff starts to matter in the main quest? The present day story about Aloy fixing everyone's problems while rolling her eyes just isn't gripping me.

Maker's End is when the story takes a sharp sci-fi turn. Follow Olin's trail out of Meridian and you'll get to it very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the tips! I actually got to Meridian last time I played, a couple of months ago. I helped the drunk guy to look for his sister or something. How long until the sci-fi stuff starts to matter in the main quest? The present day story about Aloy fixing everyone's problems while rolling her eyes just isn't gripping me.

Follow the main story for that. I suggest finding the hunters guild and starting that. Do some main quest and that and it will take you all over the world pretty much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Side quests still good for getting experience/money/stuff so still do those but skip all the cutscenes

And don't just save them for the end, sometimes you get stuff from side quests that might be helpful, but only if you're doing the side quests early on when you're not totally overpowered yet. Just hop back and forth between side quests and main quest according to the level suggestions in the quest descriptions

There's an interesting world in the modern day, there's a lot of subtext about religion, patriarchy vs matriarchy, discrimination based on tribe rather than race, etc etc etc, but it's just the presentation of boring talking heads 90% of the time is so bad.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 22, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

exquisite tea posted:

Maker's End is when the story takes a sharp sci-fi turn. Follow Olin's trail out of Meridian and you'll get to it very soon.

Cool, thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the answers. I'm giving the game another shot. There have been plenty of games that took me a long time to warm up to that I ended up enjoying. Most notably tLoU which I first found to be a drag, until I left Bill's town. Now I've beaten it four times and it's in my top five. I bounced off Bloodborne hard in the first area and didn't play it for over a year. Then somehow it just clicked and I beat it and the DLC.

I guess that's a topic of conversation. Have you ever had a really hard time getting into a game until something just clicked?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 22, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

Going to Meridian opens up more of the game, like quests, points of interest, and better weapons. You'll probably want to do a healthy mix of story and side missions, though, but you can't really miss anything.

I absolutely hated the game before purple weapons. The weapon system is a big piece of poo poo in a good game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DrNutt posted:

:allears: Wow do tell us more about your weird projections and insecurities from college ten years ago.

Guess I hit a nerve :shrug:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Diablo-style loot grading does not need to be in every game and HZD and GoW are both worse for it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Renoistic posted:

I guess that's a topic of conversation. Have you ever had a really hard time getting into a game until something just clicked?

God of War is extremely frustrating if you're not used to the concept of timing-dependent parrying and dodging. That was a rough first few days.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Renoistic posted:

The Witness is mine. I'm loving it right now, but getting into that headspace, slowing down and letting my mind drift rather than just reacting all the time was hard.

Also knowing when to say when if I don't have the base for a certain set of puzzles yet, because my tendency is to just blast off and explore everything all at once.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Diablo-style loot grading does not need to be in every game and HZD and GoW are both worse for it

GoW especially. HZD is at least incorporating some Monster Hunter ideas for a good reason, but GoW just seems to smash genre ideas together haphazardly.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
people seem to always forget how much tighter the gameplay felt between Mass Effect 1 and ME2 when they refined/got rid of a lot of the tacked on RPG elements in what was ostensibly a dialogue heavy action game and we are all doomed to repeat it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Does ps4pro do 4k/hdr streaming of movies/tv? And does plex support that if so?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Cool, thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the answers. I'm giving the game another shot. There have been plenty of games that took me a long time to warm up to that I ended up enjoying. Most notably tLoU which I first found to be a drag, until I left Bill's town. Now I've beaten it four times and it's in my top five. I bounced off Bloodborne hard in the first area and didn't play it for over a year.somehow it just clicked and I beat it and the DLC.

Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 andPersona 4 Golden are two of my favorite games and took multiple years and playthroughs.

Witcher 3 is lost interest before the baron. I’ve now beat it twice.

Persona 4 G i played and lost saves twice. I’ve been in the epilogue for months but it is still one of my favorite games.

Uncharted 4 I redboxed and wasn’t able to beat. I’ve borrowed the disc for months from a friend but just beat it recently on a new playthrough. So good.

I tend to do that with a lot of games actually. Watch Dogs 2 is in that zone right now.

If i

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I first got Demon's Souls because everyone was talking about how amazing it was, jumped in without reading anything, and promptly got stuck on first Tower Knight and then Armor Spider. I put it down for several months, picked it back up, and blew straight through the early game and both bosses with little trouble. The same thing happened with Dark Souls, although I don't remember exactly what I got stuck on that time (it must have been very early since I didn't reach the Capra Demon until the second attempt). All the subsequent Souls games I bought at launch and played to completion.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I loved HZD but one of the best parts of the game was crafting everything and realizing I never had to hunt a turkey or a rat ever again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I loved HZD but one of the best parts of the game was crafting everything and realizing I never had to hunt a turkey or a rat ever again

It's very important that you get a rat skin for this bomb pouch, racoon skin just doesn't hold bombs as well

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The flat box frame of a tv screen carries with it implications of previous art/media forms over hundreds of years that are compelling in their own ways. The history of television, film, painting, photography, literature, block print, etc. all play within borders of a sort. The implications of a frame make the art work as much about what is left out as what is included. One absolutely can paint on a circular frame, or use no frame at all, or paint on a vase, a body, or a sidewalk, but the history of painting and other art forms is littered with a tacit acknowledgement that the rectangular frame is both a utilitarian and symbolic reference point for the viewer. It doesn't matter that the reference point is somewhat arbitrary because it is socially consistent and valuable, just as the arbitrary 12cm diameter of a Compact Disc is socially consistent and valuable.

I think it's profoundly naive to assert that VR supplants the aims, methods, and intrinsic value of classic televisual communication and its predecessors, especially since VR is currently almost exclusively involved in the reproduction and iteration of said televisual content. The strengths of VR have more in common with instalation and performance art at this point than they do with fine art forms or media of prominence since the advent of mechanical reproduction. For one, the frame of reference, and hence the implied narrative involvement are profoundly altered by the act of 'being there' rather than 'viewing that', and televisual conceits such as voyeurism, perspective, agency, the edit, montage, sense of time, passivity/activity etc are all altered in distinct ways when the jump is made away from the frame.

VR is not the next videogame, the next cinema, painting, photography, television, etc. It stands decidedly removed from the strengths of those mediums and cannot accurately convey their strengths no matter the effort. It is something new and as yet undefined, no better and no worse, and it does not invalidate the mediums that precede it, just as the novelty of the camera obscura did not invalidate the oil painting, but only furthered the development of human relationships with visual representation.

I think we agree, I don't mean to suggest that VR can outright replace a traditional screen. When you play RE7 in VR, you sacrifice all the visual cues that make it look like a found-footage movie. My point is just that VR Is Real. It's not a gimmick, it's capable of delivering something completely novel and compelling that a TV can't, and people are willing to pay for that, so it's probably here to stay, especially considering the rate at which the tech is improving. There are clear cases of it delivering on experiences that TV has struggled to provide, and these more traditional games that have full-featured VR modes alongside TV are perfect for exploring that. Wipeout is IMO totally elevated by VR, and I and some others in the PSVR thread came away from Rez VR astounded that a Dreamcast game feels so perfect for the format. It's probably not a coincidence that those two games aren't very cinematic in their presentation.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It's very important that you get a rat skin for this bomb pouch, racoon skin just doesn't hold bombs as well

Far Cry 3 and 4 were the best/worst with this. I'm pretty sure the final wallet upgrade in 4 required four rhinoceros skins.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Guess I hit a nerve :shrug:

The Guitar Hero/Rock Band backlash was a really weird thing to witness because apparently there were a lot of people upset about, uh, people having fun playing party games, at parties, or something?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone try Wizard of Legend yet? It seems fun and I always love games like TBoI/Gungeon.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I think they said in the conference that the focus on PS4 will last until 2021 which is fine by me. Also I was looking up stuff about E3 and saw the stuff about some Sucker Punch Japanese history Samurai game and now I'm really intruiged.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Westworld just reignited my fierce inner weaboo so my hype for that game is gonna get nuclear once I see more of it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I think we agree, I don't mean to suggest that VR can outright replace a traditional screen. When you play RE7 in VR, you sacrifice all the visual cues that make it look like a found-footage movie. My point is just that VR Is Real. It's not a gimmick, it's capable of delivering something completely novel and compelling that a TV can't, and people are willing to pay for that, so it's probably here to stay, especially considering the rate at which the tech is improving. There are clear cases of it delivering on experiences that TV has struggled to provide, and these more traditional games that have full-featured VR modes alongside TV are perfect for exploring that. Wipeout is IMO totally elevated by VR, and I and some others in the PSVR thread came away from Rez VR astounded that a Dreamcast game feels so perfect for the format. It's probably not a coincidence that those two games aren't very cinematic in their presentation.

Agreed. Sorry if I came off as condescending, I was typing at 4am. I appreciate your response and I think your point about games that stray from cinematic elements working well is really interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

I think they said in the conference that the focus on PS4 will last until 2021 which is fine by me. Also I was looking up stuff about E3 and saw the stuff about some Sucker Punch Japanese history Samurai game and now I'm really intruiged.

That game is my most anticipated title aside from 2LoU and whatever Miyazaki is working on. I think Sucker Punch has reached a certain level of maturity as a studio that they really could deliver something special.

Here's hoping it has subtitles.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'm so mad I played through twice and never knew about setting hunting objectives on the map to make it essier.

I'm pretty hyped for the library to get yakuza in, 7 games in one series I've never touched is my mental equivalent of playing mgs 1-5+peace walker+ revengeance. this is gonna be awesome

I thought horizon was amazing and even better than Witcher 3, another amazing open world game. The only PS4 game I've really bounced off was last guardian, and my save got corrupted and I can't face restarting

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
After 0 and Kiwami I am loving ecstatic over owning a console that has the entire Yakuza catalog in it, I honestly don't remember the last time I got so hype for a series.

The Ps4 is good.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Anyone ever had to deal with sony's warranty service before? My PS4 pro bricked itself after a whopping 3 months of moderate use.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Best console ever. Let me play Demon’s Souls on it and I’ll die happy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Finding out th is t Yakuza exists and is amazing at this point is so so good. you have tons of content and a drip feed schedule. Its awesome.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
so my just out of warranty ps4 controller has a slight dead zone on the left analog stick at about 2:00, anyone dealt with fixing this kind of thing before

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KodiakRS posted:

Anyone ever had to deal with sony's warranty service before? My PS4 pro bricked itself after a whopping 3 months of moderate use.

Yeah i sent in a malfuntioning launch unit and a drifting new ds4

Have a copy of your receipt, the serial number on your console, and file a claim with sony.

They ship you a box to mail your console in (back up and deactivate first), you spend 2 weeks sad, they ship a refurb unit back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

For the love of god deactivate your console from the console.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The real winner of the console wars....is us.....the gamers.......

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

The real winner of the console wars....is us.....the gamers.......

Its actually the youtube clickbaiters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Best console ever. Let me play Demon’s Souls on it and I’ll die happy.

This but SOTN

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

been playing tales of bersaria recently, and by that I mean letting the game idle in a menu for 20+ hours for that menu maven title. going directly from god of war to this was a huge mistake in terms of expectations (it looks and plays like a ps3 game), but I've been enjoying it after I got over how old it felt. pretty cool game

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Bombadilillo posted:

Any way to do this without being able to boot the console?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

Any way to do this without being able to boot the console?

https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/get-help/help-library/my-account/device-activation-deactivation/remote-deactivation/

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm not sure what this post means can someone explain it to a me like i am an idiot child who hasn't even played bloodborne (I have played bloodborne 6+ times but treat me like I am so profoundly stupid that I haven't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Terak404/status/998816119971549184