Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Helianthus Annuus posted:

do you have a band playing your wedding?

Hahaha, God no. The closest thing may be having people over to the house for drunken acoustic punk singalongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
get a side job at a print shop, liquor store, or restaurant. places total degenerates tend to congregate

but if you're over 30 and have a house payment and don't want to be the weird old guy in the band like that one guy in the offspring, your only other option is to start attending one of those stupid churches with a full band setup

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It's 10x easier to find a band if you can do decent-ish demo recordings on your own and send them to people. Having material ready prevents a lot of auditions where you turn up and just kinda look at each other awkwardly.

I've had so many poo poo auditioning-band-member rehearsals that I just won't meet anyone now who can't provide some recording of themselves beforehand in some format, phone recording, webcam vid whatever. I mean if you can't or won't record your own playing in 2018 wtf are you doing.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 22, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Muppets On PCP posted:

but if you're over 30 and have a house payment and don't want to be the weird old guy in the band like that one guy in the offspring, your only other option is to start attending one of those stupid churches with a full band setup

Well I'm hosed

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

One man bands til death

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One death mans till band

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
At least it’s never been easier to do it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

I mean if you can't or won't record your own playing in 2018 wtf are you doing.

posting

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i'm real glad i decided to spend money on a proper microphone and audio interface instead of yet another gimmick guitar

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

i'm real glad i decided to spend money on a proper microphone and audio interface instead of yet another gimmick guitar

Outsider! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

e: what did you get?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I found a guy on craigslist trying to get rid of a bunch of recording equipment, picked up a sm57 and a huge boom for it for like 50 bux.

My audio interface is this, and I do not recommend it at all: https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/alpha

I should have spent more money on the audio interface. There's bleed between the mic channel and the instrument channel. It gets noisy sometimes and picks up Spanish-language Christian AM radio, and I have to rattle it until it stops.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I had a lexicon alpha, it was garbage and customer support was non-existentn when it kept stopping working. I know their reverbs etc are highly rated but on the basis of my experience with that I'm a bit leery of them.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yes but how will you sound better without yet another guitar? If you don’t regularly buy new guitars you’ll never sound good.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Yes but how will you sound better without yet another guitar? If you don’t regularly buy new guitars you’ll never sound good.

playing synths instead :smugdog:

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
Guitar modding question: Can anyone confirm that modern Stratocaster necks can fit in the neck pocket of a modern Mustang?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Nebraska Tim posted:

Guitar modding question: Can anyone confirm that modern Stratocaster necks can fit in the neck pocket of a modern Mustang?

Those are two different scale lengths (unless Fender released a 25.5" scale Mustang at some point), so even if the neck did fit, it wouldn't ever be in tune when fretted.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

monolithburger posted:

Those are two different scale lengths (unless Fender released a 25.5" scale Mustang at some point), so even if the neck did fit, it wouldn't ever be in tune when fretted.

I wish they would, but I'm aware of the issue and planning to move the bridge and the bridge pickup accordingly.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Gripen5 posted:

I just had the weirdest issue with what I assume was a bad string. Guitar had been strung for probably two or three months, but I hadn't touched or tuned up the guitar in a month. Tuned the guitar up to E Standard. Played a few licks that included a bend on the high e string, when suddenly the string kind felt like it popped and went out of tune. Except everything was still connected. So I tried to tune up about a half dozen times and every time I got just past D# the string would detune by at least a step to step and a half, sometimes more. Right around the time I was figuring that the tuner was messed up, the ball end of the string pops right off. Seems the winding on the ball end came loose with no actual snapping of the string.

I guess its good that it wasn't something that required me to buy a new tuning machine, but that is a first in my 6 plus years of playing.
I had something similar to this happen repeatedly on my J Mascis Jazzmaster where the winding would unravel, but the ball end didn’t pop off. It happened with different strings, different brands, different gauges, everything. No one I talked to had even heard of this happening, including my guitar teacher, the shop, and this thread! As best as I can tell, there was a tiny burr in one of the holes in the tailpiece that the strings go through that needed to be sanded down a little, and it’s just fine now, but it was a weird few weeks trying to figure that out.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

The Leck posted:

I had something similar to this happen repeatedly on my J Mascis Jazzmaster where the winding would unravel, but the ball end didn’t pop off. It happened with different strings, different brands, different gauges, everything. No one I talked to had even heard of this happening, including my guitar teacher, the shop, and this thread! As best as I can tell, there was a tiny burr in one of the holes in the tailpiece that the strings go through that needed to be sanded down a little, and it’s just fine now, but it was a weird few weeks trying to figure that out.

Hmm. I haven't restrung the guitar yet, but I will take a look before I do, and keep it in mind if it ever happens again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If a string keeps breaking in the same place, that's a sign that a gremlin lives there. Or there's something wearing at the string, one or the other

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
How much is a tone gremlin?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If you have to ask...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

It’s getting hard not to get discouraged and frustrated with my playing. I started in a February and I still can’t switch to G accurately or quickly. I’ve been working on a learning song per my guitar teacher, but forget moving through it with any semblance of fluidity. Even just practicing is pissing me off.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skooma512 posted:

It’s getting hard not to get discouraged and frustrated with my playing. I started in a February and I still can’t switch to G accurately or quickly. I’ve been working on a learning song per my guitar teacher, but forget moving through it with any semblance of fluidity. Even just practicing is pissing me off.

Stop worrying just keep playing. That little frustration will mean nothing a year or two down the line. It sucks but it’s completely normal and will pass.

Don’t be afraid to step away. If you practice angry you’ll be tense in your mind and body and won’t get as far as you will by relaxing, doing something else and then coming back to the instrument.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I feel u

Here's one way you can sort out that G chord. "Minute changes"

Set the timer for a minute, and practice going between two different chords. Break down the song into its chord changes, and spend a minute on each one each day. The chords have to sound good, so go slow at first.

Even if the rest of that day's practice is a bust, that couple minutes each day will eventually get you through the changes at tempo.

e: crediting justin for the idea https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

This is going to sound stupid, but try switching from G to G. Strum some G for a bit, lift up all the fingers, put them right back down where they go, keep playing. I did this with C, which was the chord that made me want to quit. It helped eventually.

Also, if I'm doing some fast-moving rock thing that just uses open chords, I use a different fingering, with the first three fingers, than if I was going to G7 next, when I'd have to use fingers 2, 3 and 4 so I could more easily get to G7. Whether you want to take such shortcuts is of course up to you.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That really helped me.

I'm about to start doing his counting 16ths video from the intermediate funk branch.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
learn some creedence you'll be an expert at chord switching in no time

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So lately I'm noticing my guitar has a few intonation issues. If I adjust the scale length so that the 12th frets are perfectly in tune with the open strings/1st harmonics, then notes played toward the head get progressively sharper, and notes above 12th fret get flat; by fret 19 some of them are over 20 cents flat.

In addition, I can't do whole-step bends on my high E string, 19th fret; the string vibrates against the higher frets and mutes itself. I'm trying to learn "Crazy Train" right now, and the solo climaxes on that exact bend, which is a pain in the rear end.

I'm playing on an Ibanez Gio, which has a pretty simple bridge; I can adjust individual saddle length and spring tension, that's it. Is there anything I can do to fix these issues, or am I just suffering from cheap guitar syndrome? Is this something a truss rod adjustment would fix? I've had a ton of springs on the tremolo so it permanently sits flat on the body, but the bridge sits at a slight angle, maybe 2-3 degrees, could that be contributing?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Enourmo posted:

So lately I'm noticing my guitar has a few intonation issues. If I adjust the scale length so that the 12th frets are perfectly in tune with the open strings/1st harmonics, then notes played toward the head get progressively sharper, and notes above 12th fret get flat; by fret 19 some of them are over 20 cents flat.

In addition, I can't do whole-step bends on my high E string, 19th fret; the string vibrates against the higher frets and mutes itself. I'm trying to learn "Crazy Train" right now, and the solo climaxes on that exact bend, which is a pain in the rear end.

I'm playing on an Ibanez Gio, which has a pretty simple bridge; I can adjust individual saddle length and spring tension, that's it. Is there anything I can do to fix these issues, or am I just suffering from cheap guitar syndrome? Is this something a truss rod adjustment would fix? I've had a ton of springs on the tremolo so it permanently sits flat on the body, but the bridge sits at a slight angle, maybe 2-3 degrees, could that be contributing?

Strings fretting sharp at the headstock end is a sign of a badly cut nut. From the amount of issues you're experiencing I would suggest taking it to a decent tech to check it and maybe walk you through some of the issues so you know what to look for next time.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

skooma512 posted:

See if you can do the lazy G, which is my main G now, especially on electric guitar. Just the two E strings, and you mute the A string by being lazy with the index finger. You'll of course want to get to the point where you can do a regular G but maybe this can help get over the frustration and get into playing songs.

It's the second one on this list.
https://www.tomasmichaud.com/right-way-play-g-chord/

Are you having this problem just with this chord or are there other open chords that are giving you problems?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

See if you can do the lazy G, which is my main G now, especially on electric guitar. Just the two E strings, and you mute the A string by being lazy with the index finger. You'll of course want to get to the point where you can do a regular G but maybe this can help get over the frustration and get into playing songs.

It's the second one on this list.
https://www.tomasmichaud.com/right-way-play-g-chord/

Are you having this problem just with this chord or are there other open chords that are giving you problems?

Yeah the first G I learned to play was that second one, I actually learned it with my thumb fretting the 3rd fret on the G string. Not sure I would recommend that cause it took me quite awhile to get used to playing the full G with my fingers but just fretting the Low E and High E 3rd fret is good enough to get through a song.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks guys, I’ll work on chilling and doing the quick changes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

One man bands til death
Truth.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

skooma512 posted:

While I think there's something to be said for taking short breaks, you really just have to power through this stuff. It took me probably 30 hours of work before I could nail my first sweep arpeggio even sometimes, and roughly that long again before I could do so consistently. All this poo poo is just muscle memory and if you practice at controllable low speeds with a metronome and gradually speed up, you WILL get there eventually. Slow it down and then work up to speed, even if you have to play it at 30bpm or something.* poo poo even if I'm learning something that's easy for me, I'll still start practicing it at 50% tempo.

*There are a few things that are way harder to play slow than fast (thinking mainly of 5- and 7-tuplets, which are basically impossible at a low BPM), but you probably don't need to worry about that now.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I've always wanted a Gretsch so I impulse bought this on sale today.

What an amazing upgrade from a Squier Bullet. Sucks about the little imperfection on the fingerboard (cosmetic only) but I got a few more bucks off and I still think it's gorgeous. Now I just need to learn how to restring a Bigsby. Also the shorter scale length is perfect for my manlet hands.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 24, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The inventor of the fuzz pedal has died so let's all hammer out some loud woolly noise tonight :rip:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Shugojin posted:

The inventor of the fuzz pedal has died so let's all hammer out some loud woolly noise tonight :rip:
Yeah, definitely going to fire up my Big Muffs and the Super Fuzz!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I really need to dig into gypsy more; Bossa Dorado is a gem I didn't know existed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cherry burst, thoughts?