Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

imweasel09 posted:

No 2.0 firmly planted it as corvette spam.

Corvettes are great generalists, but other classes have their place. There's several encounters where corvettes get one-shot so their biggest advantage (disengage) stops being relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To counter corvettes you need something to overcome their evasion, which is tracking, and that can mean either using smaller guns, or stacking +tracking modifiers such as better sensors and picket computers. You also benefit from +chance to hit modifiers too because generally your guns aren't going to be 100% accurate but bringing them closer to that makes the loss from evasion a smaller proportion of the whole. Because subtracting say, 60 evasion from 80% accuracy leaves you with 20%, but subtracting it from 100% leaves you with 40%, meaning adding 20% accuracy makes you twice as accurate in the final calculation. Though this depends on how all the numbers work out and I don't have the specific maths.

Basically though I think probably the best gun to use against a corvette is a medium mount gun with as much tracking as you can slap onto it, because medium guns are slightly more damage efficient than small ones but should have enough tracking with computers and such, to overcome most of the evasion any corvette is likely to have. Any tracking above that is wasted.

This is slightly complicated however when you consider that missiles are 100% accurate by default, can be put on corvettes, and do raw damage more akin to a large gun than anything else, while bypassing shields and doing extra hull damage...

So 4 corvettes are very competitive with an all-medium anti corvette cruiser in terms of gun-power-per-naval-cap, because guided weapons are extremely good against basically everything. While a medium mount gun might be individually good, guided mounts break the rules by being basically better than large mounts most of the time and you can get one per naval cap by putting them on corvettes.

So with that in mind the best anti corvette ship might be an all cloud lightning battleship :v: Because it'll occasionally roll very high initial damage while being 100% accurate and tracking and bypassing shields and armour, giving it the best chance to hit, and one shot a corvette, thus overruling its disengagement bonus.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Libluini posted:

Which is still spitting distance for space. (Space is rather large.)

The distances of Proxima Centauri's weird course around the two stars of Alpha Centauri are 0,204 light years at maximum and fall below 0,1 light years at their closest. That's uncomfortably close for a "stellar close neighbor". Even the blue giants inside the galactic core would make weird faces at this.
Yeah, but even .1 lightyears is very far for being part of the same system, as we'd normally think of it.

Now, of course it is a trinary system because they're gravitationally bound together. I'm just saying, they're not exactly squeezed in tight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smh if you don't think of the oort cloud as the interesting edge of the solar system.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

OwlFancier posted:

To counter corvettes you need something to overcome their evasion, which is tracking, and that can mean either using smaller guns, or stacking +tracking modifiers such as better sensors and picket computers. You also benefit from +chance to hit modifiers too because generally your guns aren't going to be 100% accurate but bringing them closer to that makes the loss from evasion a smaller proportion of the whole. Because subtracting say, 60 evasion from 80% accuracy leaves you with 20%, but subtracting it from 100% leaves you with 40%, meaning adding 20% accuracy makes you twice as accurate in the final calculation. Though this depends on how all the numbers work out and I don't have the specific maths.

Basically though I think probably the best gun to use against a corvette is a medium mount gun with as much tracking as you can slap onto it, because medium guns are slightly more damage efficient than small ones but should have enough tracking with computers and such, to overcome most of the evasion any corvette is likely to have. Any tracking above that is wasted.

This is slightly complicated however when you consider that missiles are 100% accurate by default, can be put on corvettes, and do raw damage more akin to a large gun than anything else, while bypassing shields and doing extra hull damage...

So 4 corvettes are very competitive with an all-medium anti corvette cruiser in terms of gun-power-per-naval-cap, because guided weapons are extremely good against basically everything. While a medium mount gun might be individually good, guided mounts break the rules by being basically better than large mounts most of the time and you can get one per naval cap by putting them on corvettes.

So with that in mind the best anti corvette ship might be an all cloud lightning battleship :v: Because it'll occasionally roll very high initial damage while being 100% accurate and tracking and bypassing shields and armour, giving it the best chance to hit, and one shot a corvette, thus overruling its disengagement bonus.

I've posted about similar things in the past, but the gist of it is that medium mounts can get like 85% accuracy on 90% evasion corvettes with advanced combat computers. If you've got like sentient AI you get +20 on top of that, and at that point you could load up kinetic artillery at like 75% accuracy (same for the XL mounts I believe). At lower tech levels the key is that they aren't going to have 90% evasion corvettes, so you can still achieve similar accuracy rates with worse computers/scanners.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McSpanky posted:

GRAVITY IS DESIRE

Memeing aside, yeah, I somehow got my achievement for Horizon Signal. I was so pleased to see that event pop up.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So...has anyone seen beyond the l-gate? I played a round and hyper focused on getting behind it and

There’s just some special resources and a couple other new systems. The nanite planets look cool, but there’s gotta be more right? If not, disappointment is a massive understatement as to what I feel.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Personally, I think a good strategy is to split up your forces into "main fleets" full of bigger ships that you use to assault the enemy directly, and separate "scout fleets" full of corvettes that can get around the map very quickly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Baronjutter posted:

* Fixed an issue where the AI would incorrectly allocate too much budget to navies when it could not support any more ships, resulting in underdeveloped empires

I'll believe it when I see it. Any sense yet that the AI is less cripplingly bad at development?

It might have been a fluke but I just got absolutely rolled by a Determined Exterminate in my first 2.1 game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Corvettes have a higher chance to disengage every time they're hit when they're already under 50% hull, but bigger ships take more hits to go from 50% to 0% hull, so the difference in how often they actually disengage doesn't seem to be that big. In fact I did some testing soon after 2.0 dropped with attackallfleets and bigger ships that weren't designed to counter corvettes generally still traded favorably against corvettes due to disengagement, though they were the ones who ended up emergency jumping out. However if I was using No Retreat, the bigger ships lost decisively. A big part of that might be Neutron Launchers in particular though, since one hit from those is likely to take down a corvette with shields down, even if they have 100% hull and armor, let alone no armor and 50% hull. So the corvettes often don't get to roll for disengagement at all.

The real advantage corvettes have is evasion. Prior to 2.0 small ships had (meaningful amounts of) evasion as a multiplicative defensive stat, and bigger ships had (likewise meaningful) armor. The 2.0 armor change took that advantage away from bigger ships, and their lower sublight speed also became far more important in 2.0. Their only real advantage now is access to L and XL slot weapons.

(Also, I can't believe people are seriously complaining about spoilers in a strategy game.)

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I just started my very first game (pre distant worlds). Within eight jumps of my starting planet, there are four perfectly habitable worlds, one of which is a gaia world.

I take it that's pretty good...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Staltran posted:

(Also, I can't believe people are seriously complaining about spoilers in a strategy game.)

The game's ethos from day one has been that "the galaxy is ancient and full of wonders", the exploration game has widely been praised as the best aspect of Stellaris, and this is a story pack devoted to cool new mysteries to discover. It's not a shooting offense or anything but it's not insane to want to stay unspoiled?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

really queer Christmas posted:

So...has anyone seen beyond the l-gate? I played a round and hyper focused on getting behind it and

There’s just some special resources and a couple other new systems. The nanite planets look cool, but there’s gotta be more right? If not, disappointment is a massive understatement as to what I feel.

THere's more than one possible outcome to an L-Cluster. Not sure if yours has run its course, but there's definitely more possibilities.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ms Adequate posted:

The game's ethos from day one has been that "the galaxy is ancient and full of wonders", the exploration game has widely been praised as the best aspect of Stellaris, and this is a story pack devoted to cool new mysteries to discover. It's not a shooting offense or anything but it's not insane to want to stay unspoiled?

No one's forcing people to read the thread on release day, and I don't think spoiler tags have been used more than very occasionally in the thread before. But I suppose I'm likely in the minority on this one - I've never really seen the appeal of the exploration side of the game, and I'm genuinely not sure if I've ever read the full flavour text of any anomaly in the 600+ hours I've played Stellaris. Except the individualism/collectivism tomb world one, but that was from a screenshot someone posted in the thread.

(I probably have but I generally don't even glance at it, just checking the tooltips for any options the event has.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Can't believe people are complaining about spoilers for something called a Story Pack, what is this a game with a story?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
You don't have to care about spoilers one way or another, I don't, but it's nice to show a little respect for those who do. :shobon:

/Ethos: Fanatic Polite

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

THere's more than one possible outcome to an L-Cluster. Not sure if yours has run its course, but there's definitely more possibilities.

well i really hope there is more. there's been some cool events so far, but i was really looking forward to l-gates.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I'm not sure I really like the new hyperlane generation system. This is with the slider turned all the way up. There are too many long, snaking gaps and systems that are right next to each other that aren't connected.

Edit: loving hell, did imgur make their image compression even worse lately? That poo poo looks more .jpg artifacted than a boomer facebook meme.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Here's an an M-class star that's larger than a G-class star for some reason.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just one of the mysteries of space.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VirtualStranger posted:

I'm not sure I really like the new hyperlane generation system. This is with the slider turned all the way up. There are too many long, snaking gaps and systems that are right next to each other that aren't connected.

Edit: loving hell, did imgur make their image compression even worse lately? That poo poo looks more .jpg artifacted than a boomer facebook meme.

I really like it, but I like chokepoints and 'geography' to space.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Fintilgin posted:

I really like it, but I like chokepoints and 'geography' to space.

I'd prefer the ability to generate more clusters that are interconnected within each other but with a limited number of connections out to neighboring clusters.

Variety is nice too, but most of the maps I've generated today have unwieldy clusters where one or two more "spokes" in the wheel would've drastically sped up flow through the cluster.

Edit:
Ninja option: ascension perk or tech to blaze a new hyperlane.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

If you turn the slider all the way to the maximum setting, then these giant, impassible walls shouldn't exist.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

This is awesome.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Anyone else getting way too many popups for meeting a new empire? More importantly, getting two or sometimes even three influence bumps per empire from the popups. I mean, it's given me like a thousand influence in my current game so I can finish backfilling from REXing to the good choke points a hundred years faster so I'm not gonna say no, but it's pretty clearly a bug.

Also gently caress off with the precursor systems spawning in other empires, I have like 50 systems under my control and it still spawns inside the borders of my furthest neighbor. Luckily it was a rival in sad shape so I could change my war policy and rush it but it still needed three systems to secure hyperlane access. If I knew it was gonna be there I would've just ignored the anomaly entirely.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VirtualStranger posted:

Here's an an M-class star that's larger than a G-class star for some reason.

Red Giants are M-Class, for what it's worth.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

isndl posted:

Anyone else getting way too many popups for meeting a new empire? More importantly, getting two or sometimes even three influence bumps per empire from the popups. I mean, it's given me like a thousand influence in my current game so I can finish backfilling from REXing to the good choke points a hundred years faster so I'm not gonna say no, but it's pretty clearly a bug.

Also gently caress off with the precursor systems spawning in other empires, I have like 50 systems under my control and it still spawns inside the borders of my furthest neighbor. Luckily it was a rival in sad shape so I could change my war policy and rush it but it still needed three systems to secure hyperlane access. If I knew it was gonna be there I would've just ignored the anomaly entirely.

Isn't there a new option for science ships to basically warp in to any system, even a closed border system, albeit very slowly?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tomn posted:

Isn't there a new option for science ships to basically warp in to any system, even a closed border system, albeit very slowly?

With a tech you don't have at start, yes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tomn posted:

Haven't hit the tech required for that yet, and I'd rather not hand a rival a free system with 50+ resources.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uh... I think they did a lot of bug fixes...

One of my planets just had a machine uprising :stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Spoilers for a new event chain, not a headlining one like L-Clusters though:

The Nivlac are insanely OP holy crap, they have a trait that gives them +100% habitability and +50% pop growth. I should be fine integrating them due to how the event turned out but lmao if it can go differently they're going to be insanely outbreeding every other race.

e; Holy poo poo guys they might have sorted out the AI :staredog: I just formed a federation with these pals I met and I poked around their worlds to see how badly they were doing

Homeworld:

Several colonies:

I'm playing on Ensign

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 23, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ms Adequate posted:

Spoilers for a new event chain, not a headlining one like L-Clusters though:

The Nivlac are insanely OP holy crap, they have a trait that gives them +100% habitability and +50% pop growth. I should be fine integrating them due to how the event turned out but lmao if it can go differently they're going to be insanely outbreeding every other race.

e; Holy poo poo guys they might have sorted out the AI :staredog: I just formed a federation with these pals I met and I poked around their worlds to see how badly they were doing

Homeworld:

Several colonies:

I'm playing on Ensign

wow, i might be able to actually allow sectors to build their own poo poo now

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AI planets with.... building?!

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I just found some Brain Slugs and now all my population has friendly symbiotic brain slugs! :3:

I hope they're not secretly evil :ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mama space whale is totally a Moby Dick reference :v:

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 23, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

iospace posted:

Mama space whale is totally a Moby Dick reference :v:

does your species have lungs, and did you split them with blood and thunder?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Ark posted:

does your species have lungs, and did you split them with blood and thunder?

When you kill her, a ship called the AH4B spawns. The admiral with it has the "Hell's Heart" trait.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That said, the patch and DLC have really, really improved the game in my mind. There's a lot of QoL changes, like anoms no longer failing (though the text sometimes hints at it) and special projects no longer requiring a scientist level. Also having the level on the outliner helps a lot for them.

Now that colony events seem to be properly triggering, the mid-game feels fuller now.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Dunno if this is a new bug but if you disband a construction vessel after you've ordered it to make something but before it starts making the thing you lose all the minerals it reserved. RIP my 10k for a habitat.

e: Also my precursor event chain just started in 2295.

uPen fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I really like playing on Ironman and was having a great time running into all these cute and fluffy stories where I was certain that things would go horribly wrong but they turned out fine.

Then I opened Pandora's Box.

GG Martin et al.