Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The room restrictions are a neat idea but gently caress making a 100-block-interior building for a goddamn sieve. I wound up merging the required blocks with my Forge building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

McFrugal posted:

The room restrictions are a neat idea but gently caress making a 100-block-interior building for a goddamn sieve. I wound up merging the required blocks with my Forge building.

Isn't that just a 5x5x5 room though? I could be wrong.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Update the pack to 1.0.2. It got fixed.

Sweet!

Krakatoah posted:

Isn't that just a 5x5x5 room though? I could be wrong.

5x5x4, unless it counts air blocks rather than measuring walls.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I finally got Crafting Stations and (real) Chests in Exoria. Never have I been so grateful for basic, vanilla Minecraft tech.

The real magic of the pack, imo, is that it actually succeeded at putting me in a spot that was worse than vanilla tech without it being a horrendous grind to get through and made basic vanilla tech feel amazing, which is pretty neat. The steady drip feed of QoL upgrades is very well done.

E: Just finally finished all the Bane tools, MAKE THE PICK FIRST. The Axe and Scythe are both nice but they just let you gather wood/leaves a bit faster and without burning tool durability, the Pick lets you just straight mine cobble without it breaking into stones, which is really nice for repaving your area and generally just having cobble for crafting without having to constantly generate clay for it is really nice.

E2: Actually the pick getting you whole cobble is only true if it's a cobblegen, I guess?? Still really nice though

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 22, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
^^^
I don't like the bane of leaves because it doesn't drop saplings, unlike shears.

Fenrisulfr posted:

5x5x4, unless it counts air blocks rather than measuring walls.

It's air blocks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

exoria - any way to turn off the poison rain? it adds nothing but bordeom

The rain also drops your hp so you can eat the different foods to get the buffs.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Magres posted:

I finally got Crafting Stations and (real) Chests in Exoria. Never have I been so grateful for basic, vanilla Minecraft tech.

All these 'immersive' things are a pain in the rear end, agreed. Holy poo poo. :xd:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

The rain also drops your hp so you can eat the different foods to get the buffs.

yeah but so does headbutting a cactus or dropping off a ledge or being within about sixty metres of lava

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

or by swimming in a pool of acid, which is what i did

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

The rain isn't directly lethal however, any damage afterwards though....

Kind of wish the Bane tools weren't locked behind double layered RNG however, having to wait and see if the strainers manage to spit out sapphires is draining.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krakatoah posted:

The rain isn't directly lethal however, any damage afterwards though....

Kind of wish the Bane tools weren't locked behind double layered RNG however, having to wait and see if the strainers manage to spit out sapphires is draining.

Make more of them. Parallelize that poo poo. Strainers are your only source of metals in the early game. I have four of the metal ore ones going at once, and I load them up with 8 strainer meshes and use buildcraft pipes to extract and sort their outputs.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Speaking of strainers, what's the deal with the efficiency boost? The quest book talks about it like there's some optimal setup with falling water but it seems like the only boost I get is 10% by keeping them at least 4 blocks away from other strainers, with the water source next to each one. Is that all there is to it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Speaking of strainers, what's the deal with the efficiency boost? The quest book talks about it like there's some optimal setup with falling water but it seems like the only boost I get is 10% by keeping them at least 4 blocks away from other strainers, with the water source next to each one. Is that all there is to it?

10% is the maximum. As long as it is flowing water 1 square away from the source, and there are no other strainers in a 1-block radius (including diagonals) you are at maximum bonus efficiency from layout.

The improved strainers made out of iron or diamonds and poo poo also add some extra efficiency.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
So what's the consensus on Exoria? Different enough to be worth it? Good, bad, so-so?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

redleader posted:

So what's the consensus on Exoria? Different enough to be worth it? Good, bad, so-so?

It's got that Regrowth vibe where you're on hellblasted terrain trying to survive, rather than fighting for buildable terrain like a skyblock. It has low amounts of combat (so far at least) and it uses a lot of lesser-known mods. There's no agricraft, but there are bees and it's another primalcore modpack. I'm enjoying it so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it has some vaguely annoying aspects in terms of things like primalcore, which has been said, but overall it's actually fairly chill and it's not concerned with kicking you in the groin wherever you go. i'd say try it out.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

redleader posted:

I have some grind-based problems with it, but I do like that it isn't kicking my rear end with combat and stupid mob mods that don't fit. It's pretty chill so far.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Make more of them. Parallelize that poo poo. Strainers are your only source of metals in the early game. I have four of the metal ore ones going at once, and I load them up with 8 strainer meshes and use buildcraft pipes to extract and sort their outputs.

I'll probably try that soon now that I have the means to store whatever they dredge up again. Maybe I could use storage drawers for this?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Weird question, but can anyone think of a mod that adds aesthetic alternatives to the crafting table? Like, functions exactly the same, just looks different. I would specifically like one that looks like it’s made of brick, as that’s the material I want to gate crafting behind in this personal mod pack.

Artisan Worktables would be great if it didn’t require adding every crafting recipe manually.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krakatoah posted:

I'll probably try that soon now that I have the means to store whatever they dredge up again. Maybe I could use storage drawers for this?

You could indeed!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I seem to remember someone in this thread making an anti-grind version of an existing terrafirmacraft pack, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Goon Danton posted:

I seem to remember someone in this thread making an anti-grind version of an existing terrafirmacraft pack, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
You might mean TechnodeFirmaCraft EZ!

Initial post is here.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

That's exactly what I meant, thanks!

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You could indeed!

I'm nowhere near as familiar with minecraft mods in the 1.10+ era as I was back when it was all 1.7.10 and I was playing hours of Blightfall a day, nor did I ever get into Buildcraft before then. So I think I'll just steal your nice setup.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man after seeing things like EnderIO that can smart-route to available containers by means of both priority and current inventory, watching these BC pipes where items will just randomly try every option in order is almost painful.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

Man after seeing things like EnderIO that can smart-route to available containers by means of both priority and current inventory, watching these BC pipes where items will just randomly try every option in order is almost painful.

I'm just happy there's not a redstone engine pumping away on each pipe start

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

The pipes on the drawers are clay pipes. They will always try to insert into an inventory before moving to another pipe. It ends up sorting the items perfectly with no bouncing back and forth or spillage. There is an overflow chest at the end just in case, but all that ever ends up there is the odd sapling that the strainer picked up from the world after I chop down a tree.

Devor posted:

I'm just happy there's not a redstone engine pumping away on each pipe start

That's due to the awesome gravity pipes! They extract from the bottom of an inventory with no redstone engine required.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Oh man.

things i knew but didnt know.

I never thought to stack the nets. I can go back to the plain nets rather than the reinforced.

clay pipes.... how far away is redstone?
ATM i have my pipes end in a chest inside my base that i manually put into drawers as im waiting on the controller, but i need redstone for that.

I may just make some clay pipes.

I didnt know it was gravity though. I have wooden engines pumping of all 4 of my strainer bases ><

I see you already have power though.

I just built my bee attractor, and have the parts for the life infusion thing but havent put it up anywhere yet.

The compacting drawers? Do i need to put a rock in one, then it will just pull rocks from the drawers as long as it touches the line?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Okay, earlier I put two blue slime crystals into a part builder with the bow limb pattern, I got a blue slime shard back. Now I've got another blue slime crystal, and I put it into the part builder with the bow limb pattern and the slime shard. Nothing. That's 1.5 materials, that should work! What am I doing wrong?

[Bow Limb Pattern][Blue Slime Crystal]
[----------Nothing------][Blue Slime Shard]

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

Okay, earlier I put two blue slime crystals into a part builder with the bow limb pattern, I got a blue slime shard back. Now I've got another blue slime crystal, and I put it into the part builder with the bow limb pattern and the slime shard. Nothing. That's 1.5 materials, that should work! What am I doing wrong?

[Bow Limb Pattern][Blue Slime Crystal]
[----------Nothing------][Blue Slime Shard]

Pretty sure it only pulls from 1 slot.

And most recent Tinkers only uses full numbers, its rare to get shards?

What version of minecraft are you on?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It’s Blightfall, so probably quite an old one. If it only uses one slot, how do I make use of this shard?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ariong posted:

It’s Blightfall, so probably quite an old one. If it only uses one slot, how do I make use of this shard?

You'd have to use it on something that needs .5 of a material. Like a tool rod. Or you could get more than one of them?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You could indeed!

Wait so are Buildcraft pipes not a complete mess anymore? I remember it doing the dumbest stuff if you ever had a T-intersection (or, god forbid, a 4-way)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
No, they're still a complete mess. However some modpacks will force you to use clunky-rear end BC pipes for a while before they'll allow you to use ducts and conduits from TE/EnderIO.
There are at least some directional/sorting pipes but other than being expensive and still pretty awkward, they've been in for as long as I can remember.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm mostly mystified how Gwyneth's setup isn't just vomiting items in random directions

E: Oooh you can make the chalk pipes send things in a particular direction. This changes a lot

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 23, 2018

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Buildcraft pipes are and always have been fine, as long as you understand how they work. All you have to do is to have used them since the original FTB and have fully internalised their quirks to the point where you don't even have to think about them any more. Simple.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd consider just powering past them to the point where you can get something else. i'm just starting Sky Resources and i've got sieves so i can do Embers pipes now

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Wait so are Buildcraft pipes not a complete mess anymore? I remember it doing the dumbest stuff if you ever had a T-intersection (or, god forbid, a 4-way)

They're basically the same as always. I can make them work because of

Wolfsbane posted:

Buildcraft pipes are and always have been fine, as long as you understand how they work. All you have to do is to have used them since the original FTB and have fully internalised their quirks to the point where you don't even have to think about them any more. Simple.

this. I've been using Buildcraft since version 1.1 of Minecraft (before FTB was a thing :smugdog:), so I am well-versed in its quirks. I know that my setup will always route items properly and never spill because I've chosen the correct pipes for the job. Sure, other pipes from other mods are a lot more user-friendly (like Embers' item pipes) but you get buildcraft pipes almost at the start of Exoria, and the recipes are super cheap, so I used what I had at the time.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I've been using Buildcraft since version 1.1 of Minecraft (before FTB was a thing :smugdog:), so I am well-versed in its quirks. I know that my setup will always route items properly and never spill because I've chosen the correct pipes for the job. Sure, other pipes from other mods are a lot more user-friendly (like Embers' item pipes) but you get buildcraft pipes almost at the start of Exoria, and the recipes are super cheap, so I used what I had at the time.

I'm still learning how to wrangle those pipes over here myself, I'm guessing the chest at the end of the pipeline is the final stop for items that can't find a place to go into?

Meskhenet posted:

I never thought to stack the nets. I can go back to the plain nets rather than the reinforced.

You'll want to use the reinforced ones anyways, not only do they last far longer than the survivalist nets but they also come with a 10% efficiency bonus just for using the better nets.

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krakatoah posted:

I'm still learning how to wrangle those pipes over here myself, I'm guessing the chest at the end of the pipeline is the final stop for items that can't find a place to go into?

Yeah.

Partial Buildcraft pipe summary, for any of you who were curious (none of you:)

Wooden pipe: extracts from an inventory. Does not connect to other wooden pipes. Needs to be powered by a redstone engine.
Cobblestone pipe: basic transport pipe. Does not route intelligently, so do not use in junctions.
Smoothstone pipe: same thing as a cobblestone pipe, but does not connect to cobblestone pipes. You can use pipe plugs to separate two adjacent pipes too so these are not that useful any more.
Iron pipe: Is a chalk pipe in Exoria. Used in junctions to funnel items towards a single path. Use a buildcraft wrench on the connection between the iron pipe and another pipe to turn that connection clear, which indicates that the items go in that direction.
Gold pipe: Cobblestone pipe, but it accelerates items that pass through it.
Diamond pipe: Has a GUI that lets you pick specific items to go in specific directions.
Clay pipe: Inserter pipe. Will always try to insert into inventories it is connected to before passing items to other pipes. This is what I use on the drawers.
Sandstone pipe: Will not connect to inventories at all. Useful for running pipes in tight areas.
Emerald pipe: Wooden pipe, but with a GUI to let you pull specific items only. Extracts faster. Needs a redstone engine.
Structure pipe: Does not pass items. Used to connect pipe wire over two different lengths of pipe without affecting item transport.

The gravity pipes that I mentioned aren't core buildcraft. They extract from the bottom of an inventory with no redstone engine needed.