Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.
So, is there a thread somewhere of just star citizen people so I can see what you guys are talking about? I've been cringing about this game since I first saw the money piling into his kickstarter, remembering keenly (as an adolescent) my immense disappointment with battlecruiser. It never occurred to me that so much could be happening in and around this game, which I just assumed would quietly end, Jonestown style, in a Ramada Inn conference room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

So, is there a thread somewhere of just star citizen people so I can see what you guys are talking about? I've been cringing about this game since I first saw the money piling into his kickstarter, remembering keenly (as an adolescent) my immense disappointment with battlecruiser. It never occurred to me that so much could be happening in and around this game, which I just assumed would quietly end, Jonestown style, in a Ramada Inn conference room.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=212

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Holy poo poo there is an entire forum?

edit: Oh, I see it has other things in there, it's just that it's *mostly* about Star Citizen

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Holy poo poo there is an entire forum?

edit: Oh, I see it has other things in there, it's just that it's *mostly* about Star Citizen

Yeah it was where Star Citizen chat got exiled to when Derek was mod, but then it was decided to also talk about other funny kickstarter messes in there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's bad

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

eonwe posted:

it's bad

:same:

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Sorry, I guess I remembered this

And just remembered that you were the goon that drove to his house, not that goons drove to his house to try and impress you and you were posting about it and are considered his official stalker on multiple forums. Sorry for the confusion.

And when Webdog lost interest in the mock threads it did indeed all fall apart. Goddamn I miss those days, they were what got me to shell out money for an internet forum.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's a whole subforum of goons obsessively stalking and tracking the people involved with a game.

They should probably just give up all electronics for their own, and their families, mental health.

Your username is very apt. These are people at the head of a 200+ million dollar company; who cares if some nerds are trying to dig up every last one of their past media appearances or analyze minute details of pictures of their offices for clues or whatever. I think they can handle it. Yeah, when it comes to trying to find their home addresses or harassing low-level devs and nobodies then that goes way, way too far, but I think only Derek Smart was doing much of that sort of thing, and Derek Smart is legitimately unhinged and was banned for good reason.

In other words shuddup, you're ruining my popcorn-munching.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

IDONTPOST posted:

Why are people buying in game poo poo for a game that will never come out? What am I missing here?

You know how some people will pay actual money for a game that hasn't been released and nobody knows is actually good? This is the next (il)logical step.

Wait no, I guess Early Access goes somewhere in between those steps but you see my point

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sucrose posted:

Your username is very apt. These are people at the head of a 200+ million dollar company; who cares if some nerds are trying to dig up every last one of their past media appearances or analyze minute details of pictures of their offices for clues or whatever. I think they can handle it. Yeah, when it comes to trying to find their home addresses or harassing low-level devs and nobodies then that goes way, way too far, but I think only Derek Smart was doing much of that sort of thing, and Derek Smart is legitimately unhinged and was banned for good reason.

In other words shuddup, you're ruining my popcorn-munching.

:laffo:

This is some comedy posting.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Just lol if you don't keep furniture catalogs handy for identifying and pricing furniture to update your 12 page starcitizen.xls

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

This was one of the first games I got with my own PC as a kid.
I never got it to launch, but the telephone directory-sized game manual kept me entertained for weeks. I used to read it and fantasise about how cool Battlecruiser 3000AD would be if I ever got it to work, and would make up stories and adventures in my imagination.
I don't think the actual game could have ever lived up to my imaginings, so it's probably for the best that that game was buggy as poo poo and never worked. So anyway about Star Citizen.....

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
internet spaceshits

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

There really isn't much at all going on. Dude lies about making a space sim, promises literally anything, sells hideously overpriced ingame poo poo, makes over 160 million dollars from idiot nerds. Other than that there is not much to see unless you want to watch threads of broken goons obsess over this poo poo.

The good poo poo is the dumb nerds who dream of owning slave ships and ultra-realistic rape in a video game that doesn't exist.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
have any huge whales been redpilled yet? and if so are there meltdowns to read?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
We're all interested in seeing Fortune turn her wheel so that Roberts goes from an idiot making bank off of dumb nerds dreaming of ultra-realistic rape slave games to a idiot getting relentlessly rear end-reamed by the long dick of the law.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Is that likely to happen though? How much, if anything, can they prove as straight up fraudulent in the eyes of the law? I assume they'll just keep putting out minor updates until the money completely runs out and then, well, here's your finished product nerds.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Is the 3rd Stimpire still going strong?

That poo poo was loving nuts.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Maybe? I'm sure they're burning through cash given that they keep inventing poo poo to sell. If the Crytech suit forces them into insolvency, it might convince the true believers to stop throwing money away on a lost cause.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Avalanche posted:

Is the 3rd Stimpire still going strong?

That poo poo was loving nuts.

Nah. And the fourth seems to be having a lot of problems. I'm guessing we'll have a fifth stimpire pretty soon.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

21st Cherry boy posted:

Is that likely to happen though? How much, if anything, can they prove as straight up fraudulent in the eyes of the law? I assume they'll just keep putting out minor updates until the money completely runs out and then, well, here's your finished product nerds.

IANAL but I'm guessing it would be extremely difficult to prove outright fraud. MAYBE if you had emails from a year or two ago from crobberts saying that if they don't ramp up the sleazy sales tactics they're going to run out of money and deliver essentially nothing?

Otherwise you're just looking at your typical failed KS where idiot promises the moon and fails to deliver due to being immensely incompetent, which happens all the time. Yeah the dollar amounts are 100x larger here but I don't think that matters that much from a legal standpoint.

There's all kinds of poo poo that's insanely sleazy (their lovely sales tactics, hiring your wife to a principal position and pretending she's not your wife, their going back on numerous promises, saying yes to absolutely every "is it gonna be in the game" question (procedural fuckin birbs), crobberts insistence that 1 dollar to him is equal to 5 dollars to a publisher, etc).

There's likely MASSIVE amounts of poo poo that simply would not fly (and be totally illegal) if this were a public company, but it's not a public company, it's a private company funded with public money. Which is why, on average, funding kickstarters is a real bad idea.

At this point I think crobberts and sandi have probably personally banked literal millions off the project and there's likely to be zero (legal) repercussions even if they scaled back development to 1 dude and called their current shitpile the "minimum viable product."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that it's entirely possible that CRoberts has dug a hole that he knows has no escape and is just flailing around trying to keep people throwing metaphorical food and drink into the hole because he knows he's never, ever getting out of it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

precision posted:

I think that it's entirely possible that CRoberts has dug a hole that he knows has no escape and is just flailing around trying to keep people throwing metaphorical food and drink into the hole because he knows he's never, ever getting out of it.

I'd say it isn't just likely, it's practically guaranteed. The biggest thing to me is the fact that SQ42 has been so delayed. He's smart enough to know that if he releases the single player game and it's a steaming pile of poo poo the whole loving show is just over, so conveniently SQ42 is around 3 years late. Shitizens can talk about how SC has been massively expanded in scope and the shitizens themselves majority approved of it taking much longer to do it much better, but to my knowledge there was no such consensus on SQ42 which really should have just been a series of Arena Commander (launched June 4 2014) combats interspersed with some Mark Hammill containing cutscenes.

This is still one of my all time favorite shitizen quotes:

quote:

Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen itself) was announced Oct 10th 2012. 36 months ago. Chris Roberts expects SQ42 to be ready by Christmas 2015. That's three months from now. Add an extra 1 month for Chris Roberts perfectionist tax, and that makes 40 months of time since announcement for SQ42 to be ready. With 4 months until the 40 month date, that equals a nice 90% done.

Another year for the full game to be out of beta, 4th quarter of 2016, and the math supports 70% or so.

There you go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah he is 100% regretting SQ42 by now. For it to work, it would have to be better than CoD and Battlefield combined or nobody but Citizens will care

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

:laffo:

This is some comedy posting.

how much you in for commando

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As of 2015, a cool zero dollars.

Also :lol: at a played out meme from 2016 being used in earnest.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
My favorite goon is the one that got a refund to the tune of like $5k+, then they released the baby pu or whatever and immediately bought back in at like $2k and then tried to refund again

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did that actually happen? Because if so that explains a lot about everything to do with Star Citizen.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I won't name names, but yea ;]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also :lol: at a played out meme from 2016 being used in earnest.

You obviously know nothing about meme development. We'll use new memes when they're ready.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

precision posted:

Does Croberts even need to care though? For every year this shitshow shambles on, he pays himself (and his wife, and his brother) a presumably enormous salary. And as others have said, there's probably nothing that can be pinned on him legally. It doesn't matter how obvious it gets that Star Citizen and CIG is going to crash and burn; for every month that the company hasn't crashed and burned yet, he can keep cutting himself those paychecks and making more and more bank.

That's just one of the dozens of reasons why this entire kickstarted idea is so dumb. If you've given the creators that much of an incredibly large pile of money, what incentive is there for them to hurry up and burn through that money producing a game? What incentive was there for Croberts to hurry up and releases the game rather than dawdle and pay himself for his time? Nobody can fire him and the company already gets all their revenue before the game even ships. Effectively, the longer he dawdles, the more money he personally can make, and there's especially no reason to release the game if they secretly suspect that it's going to bring in less revenue post-release than it's bringing in pre-release.

Everyone here talks about these people like they're idiots, but from the perspective of "How much money can be legally deposited in Chris Roberts' and Sandi Gardener's and Ortwin Freyermuth's personal bank accounts," their business strategy seems to be working just fine. CIG the company might be headed for an inevitable crash and burn, but the people at the top of it will still make out like bandits.

It just shocks me that nobody seemed to see these conflicts of interest before they forked over all this money. Kickstarter economics just seem so drat backward.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sucrose posted:

Does Croberts even need to care though?

Nah, probably not. If he doesn't care at all about his legacy or image he certainly has the option of just loving off to some island and being rich. I don't think Sandi would be happy doing that though, she seems to really care a lot about making... well, let's call it art.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Evil Agita posted:

have any huge whales been redpilled yet? and if so are there meltdowns to read?

That's pretty much the entire SCAM forum.

IIRC, isn't Croberts' management utter hell to work under from all accounts, constantly demanding everything be done or redone even when he said it was acceptable earlier and basically ensuring no actual progress with that special combination of micromanagement and neglect? Wouldn't be surprised if most of the remaining staff are either having massive churn or entirely checked out and doing the bare minimum.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

The thing that blows my mind about Star Citizen is that if they had cut some reasonable corners I think it'd be out already. The CONCEPT of it is well within the realm of possibility, far easier than creating a GTA style juggernaut.

But no. They HAVE to let you see people in ships from outside of ships, so you can't instance the ships as individual peer to peer servers, which means every single character in space has to be tracked. Their individual-location segmentation wouldn't be too bad to help reduce that some but it's loving hard to pull off the way they want to pull it off (though solid in theory) and ultimately won't do poo poo if you have a ship with like 5 people in the cockpit in a space fight.

i know this for a fact. if they were good developers and cut reasonable corners it would already be done, because there is a game that already exists that implements all of Star Citizens promises: Emptrion: Galactic Survival. it took them about 2 years to get to the stage they are now. its a fully functional and playable space survival game with space ships, space ship interiors (not even instanced, you can blow a hole in the side and fly into space!), planets, ground combat, etc. they accomplished this by working on gameplay instead of spending all of their money on high end graphics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkmj3DuDgw

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 24, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Can't wait til Roberts shifts all development to a secret enclave deep within the Bolivian jungle, before going radio silent for several years, heart of darkness
style

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I think I'm over Star Citizen. I went into that Star Citizen forum, and I'm all about Ashes of Creation now.

Because Ashes of Creation isn't an accidental scam. It's being made by professional scam artists and hucksters with years of MLM experience, and they're all set to take these suckers by storm.

They made a bunch of generic "perfect organic sandbox mmo" promises in-development MMOs have been making for decades. They released a goddamn nonsensical "64 possible class/subclass combinations!" grid that only looks like a good idea to someone who never played an MMO and dealt with class balance problems (standout names: Tellsword - yes, Tell, not spell, Spellmancer, Nightspell). They said they're going to do it all with the Unreal engine and SOMEHOW make it work for an MMO. But somehow, people are still eating it up.

This is the horse to watch. Star Citizen isn't planning to take the money and run. These guys are clearly going to.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Convex posted:

Can't wait til Roberts shifts all development to a secret enclave deep within the Bolivian jungle, before going radio silent for several years, heart of darkness
style

"They told me that you had gone totally insane, that your business plan was unsound."
"Is my business plan unsound?"
"I don't see any business plan at all, sir."

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
STAR CITIZEN OFFERS THE LEGATUS PACK FOR $27,000 USD, REQUIRES HAVING SPENT $1,000+ JUST TO VIEW

quote:

Star Citizen, the highest crowd-funded MMO in record is offering a new bundle pack called The Legatus Pack for $27,000 USD. The pack includes almost every ship you could possibly desire making a total of 117 ships. On top of that, there are 163 total extra items like Supercolliders, Service Equipment, Fuel Pods and various skins.

The Legatus Pack is purchasable on this page, but to do so or even just to view its contents, you’ll need to have already paid $1,000 USD. Without that, you’ll need to take it up with Star Citizen’s Customer Service.

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just learned that in Game Dev Tycoon there's an achievement for successfully releasing a game called Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just learned that in Game Dev Tycoon there's an achievement for successfully releasing a game called Star Citizen.

That's an exploit. It allows you unlimited cash without ever doing anything.