Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Probably just the end of a three season contract.

Several writers implied they were on from 3-5 in their tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like hydroponics coup lady is full on board with Juancru now. The system works, even if the leader is insanely stubborn and only ordered the retreat after getting owned badly by the sandstorm.

lmao Octavia. "Love no one and no one can hurt you" :emo:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the valley is definitely an alien experiment that leads into next season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I don't know if Octavia's coming back from cannibalism here. I do not care for that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Weekly 'I loving love this show' post.

I loving love this show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I don't know if Octavia's coming back from cannibalism here. I do not care for that.

The Dark Year was them realizing that they had a supply of long pig and it is delicious. :chef:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

esperterra posted:

Weekly 'I loving love this show' post.

I loving love this show.

I did have a giggle at those xenomorph worms, though. The killer death wave wiped out every living thing except for the loving parasitic worms living at the bottom of the ocean floor, eh?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vermain posted:

I did have a giggle at those xenomorph worms, though. The killer death wave wiped out every living thing except for the loving parasitic worms living at the bottom of the ocean floor, eh?

oh i think it's far worse than that

those worms could just be the larval stage of that gigantic carnivorous lamprey that attacked Murphy and Jaha's boat on the first trip to ALIE's island. which may now be warped into a shark-sized sand lamprey, given how this show treats nuclear apocalypse like a wild and lethal sort of magic

there could be all manner of terrible creatures already warped by a hundred years of life and reproduction after the first nuclear war, mutated even further by praimfaya

speaking of weird monsters, last season when the nightblood serum crew ventured to ALIE's island and was set upon by those gun drones, Emori said some vague stuff about there being far worse things than the drones lurking around the island, the same things the drones were actually intended to defend against. i wonder if we're going to find out what she meant by that, since post-praimfaya mutant weirdness is now definitely on the table

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Worm silliness aside, that was another good episode. Diyoza is definitely the best capital-V Villain the show's had. She gets just the right balance between casual bemusement and raw intensity. She's intimidating just by being there, which is a hard note to hit. I'm surprisingly warming up to McCreary, too, mostly because he's a plain and simple no-nonsense thug - I can easily imagine that worse writers would've made that scene with him and Raven unbearable.

I'm especially pleased to see that Octavia's character development remains intact. I was a little worried that, as soon as big brother Bellamy showed up, she'd turn back into a goopy mess, but, nope, she's taking this Blodreina thing seriously. I get the impression Indra's getting more and more worried over the monster she's helped create; wonder if there's gonna be any friction between the two as the series goes on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Looks like hydroponics coup lady is full on board with Juancru now.

This was actually revealed in a real blink-and-you-miss-it moment during episode 2. After the final skip back to the present day, there's a lingering shot of the woman's wounded hand that then pans up to her face, standing next to Octavia in full Wonkru garb. You're supposed to make the connection between the wound and the knife Octavia chucked through her palm when they broke the siege.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Plus you see her face.

i shoulda read that closer....

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
There's being on board, and there's being an asslicker. Judging from Indra's comment when hydro lady agrees with Octavia, she's more an asslicker than anything.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Looks like someone is doing a cannibal play through....

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think I missed the cannibal thing. Did Octavia eat someone?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
When they eat they say some weird poo poo about all of us to me, then at the end Octavia tells someone to leave the bodies and that person is surprised. It isn't shown or stated outright, just alluded to. We'll probably get some exposition next week.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

I think I missed the cannibal thing. Did Octavia eat someone?

I think it's just speculation based on 'the Dark Year' and Octavia leaving bodies behind.

I could see it maybe being a thing that happened during the dark year, assuming that means power was down in the bunker in places like mb the hydro farm, but otherwise idk. I assumed the shock at leaving the bodies was less 'why aren't we eating them' and more 'why aren't we burning/honouring them in some way'.

Wonkru takes people dying to let the rest of Wonkru keep going very seriously.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Apprentice Dick posted:

When they eat they say some weird poo poo about all of us to me, then at the end Octavia tells someone to leave the bodies and that person is surprised. It isn't shown or stated outright, just alluded to. We'll probably get some exposition next week.

They also didn't want Clarke to look at the sick guy's rations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Flatscan posted:

I've been wondering if the botanist lady is up to some shady poo poo with the rations, also.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Apprentice Dick posted:

We'll probably get some exposition next week.

2 weeks 🙁

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flatscan posted:

And there's a moment at the start where Indra -- who seems the least happy with Octavia's regime -- suggests that Clarke check out the rations, which I read as her subtly trying to tell Clarke that something's going on.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

And there's a moment at the start where Indra -- who seems the least happy with Octavia's regime -- suggests that Clarke check out the rations, which I read as her subtly trying to tell Clarke that something's going on.

Nice catch.

Every Juancrew member seems to have and air of shame/guilt/weird attachment to the group. Its not obvious at first but becomes so on a re watch.

The fact they are all super loyal and Octavia now has a iron rod of crazy within her, makes me think they bonded over something... Long porky.

Loving Indra this season, she out of all of Juancrew seems to be sanest, yet you do notice that at times even she knows poo poo is hosed up.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Nice catch.

Every Juancrew member seems to have and air of shame/guilt/weird attachment to the group. Its not obvious at first but becomes so on a re watch.

The fact they are all super loyal and Octavia now has a iron rod of crazy within her, makes me think they bonded over something... Long porky.

Loving Indra this season, she out of all of Juancrew seems to be sanest, yet you do notice that at times even she knows poo poo is hosed up.

Indra seems to know that if she steps out of line she loses what little influence she has left. Gaia also seems to be a huge player with Octavia now, I hope Cain's discussion gives us information on the dark year and what happened after Octavia got everyone under control.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Apprentice Dick posted:

Indra seems to know that if she steps out of line she loses what little influence she has left. Gaia also seems to be a huge player with Octavia now, I hope Cain's discussion gives us information on the dark year and what happened after Octavia got everyone under control.

I think Indra's genuinely concerned over the health and sanity of Octavia (who, by this point, is practically like a second daughter to her), but she's well aware that things have progressed to where speaking out of turn will get her dumped in a canyon. If even big brother Bellamy is getting threatened with death if he dares question Juankru, she's in no better position to do so. It doesn't help that she's always had a hard time with wearing her feelings on her sleeve.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

When at the start did Indra tell Clarke and Bellamy to check out the rations, btw? I must have missed that, because I only remember her telling them to pick up the backpacks that have their share of rations in them.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

esperterra posted:

When at the start did Indra tell Clarke and Bellamy to check out the rations, btw? I must have missed that, because I only remember her telling them to pick up the backpacks that have their share of rations in them.

When the guy came back to the camp initially, she says check the rations and Octavia shuts it down.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

esperterra posted:

I love how when Bellamy comes down into the Bunker we see Octavia's reaction. When Clarke does we see the reaction of HER PEOPLE!!!!

If the show misses out on the opportunity to split Wonkru down the middle the moment Clarke starts to buck against Octavia's leadership w/r/t this war they're entering, then it will be a huge missed opportunity. Surviving Primfaiya like that will surely rocket Wanheda to god tier status.

Rocksicles posted:

Don't forgot Clarke and her Robin are the last nightbloods.

I'm going for this... end season with 300 going to Eligius 3 and becoming skycru 3.0. New canadian forest set, twin suns cgi... rinse repeat death toll.

I'm sure the nightblood drama is about to start. They spent a lot of time having Gaia refuse to support Octavia because she wasn't a nightblood and repeatedly stated that their society follows nightbloods and only nightbloods before she finally gave in and supported Octavia.

Octavia is a little intense right now and could probably use replacing but I'm worried they would use Madi then kill her off to create drama between Clarke and Octavia.

Also yeah, "The Dark Year" sounds like a mass crop die off or something leaving them without any food suddenly. By the time they can re-start the massive hydroponics farm they are 100% dependent on they would have to do something.

Also

"We honor those who died so we might live."
"Omon gon oson."
"All of me for all of us."
"It's kind of beautiful."

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 3, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Colonel Diyoza owns real hard. Creating dissension with food is brilliant. Hearts and minds :911:

A bit surprised that Octavia didn't kill Madi.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Echo doesn't get enough props.

that was some MI6 poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Really good episode, in a really good season. I love the dynamics we've got going on right now -- Marie Angelopoulos has always been good, but she's giving a series best performance right now. She's paranoid as hell and has turned Azgeda into a fascist dictatorship with a terrifying conformist philosophy, but she's continually grounded the material.

(I'm Team Diyoza. Is it even a question at this point? She's a good leader, she's reasonable and smart, and she's genuinely personable. I'd follow her anywhere.)

The new revelations about Gaia puts the strained relationship between her and Indra in a new light. I always got the sense that Indra had fingered Gaia as the architect of Blood Reina's Woncrew insanity, but it turns out that she was never loyal and just really good at playing the long game. Meanwhile Indra is legitimately loyal, but has become so disillusioned at everything that she's close to giving up hope for both of them.

Also, I guess this means that Jaha's responsible for creating two entirely different, but equally hosed up, evil religions. And one after he died. gently caress you Jaha!

Really worried about Emori and Murphy. McCreary is a starscream, which is a character type they're both intimately familiar with, but he's also larger than the two of them put together, and a very scary intelligent psychopath in the style the show has never done before. I find him genuinely scary, and I fully expect him to end up as the season's main villain.

Rocksicles posted:

Echo doesn't get enough props.

that was some MI6 poo poo.

I did wonder about the long term viability of the USB following that decision, but Echo rules. I've always had a fondness for actors who go from being bit players to becoming show regulars, but Tasya Teles is very deserving of her new status on the show. She's a great actor. And I love that the character has gone from being a villainous foil for Octavia's character to being an ideal version of what Octavia could have been. (Lets ignore the potential for incest that parallel creates.)

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I question anyone that is shocked at a potential cannibal reveal with how hard they are telegraphing it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Really worried about Emori and Murphy. McCreary is a starscream, which is a character type they're both intimately familiar with, but he's also larger than the two of them put together, and a very scary intelligent psychopath in the style the show has never done before. I find him genuinely scary, and I fully expect him to end up as the season's main villain.

I love McCreary's scenes and the way he talks. William Miller apparently has been living and acting in Spain for a very long time and his English now sounds so cool.

When they got to the cave with the collar I hoped the prisoners would go 'They got the collar off ? In a few hours, in a cave ? It took us 10 years !'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I question anyone that is shocked at a potential cannibal reveal with how hard they are telegraphing it.

Yeah, after this I'm thinking the The Dark Year definitely meant crops were hosed. If they do go the cannibalism route I'm curious how it will have been handled. Surely there won't be enough criminals in one year to feed all of Wonkru. A lottery? Maybe one where the randos fight for one of them to not become food? Fanatical loyalists volunteering? After the year passed, did everyone just go 'well gently caress it we've been eating eachother this whole time, may as well put those criminal bodies to use whenever we have an arena bloodbath'?

The possibilities!!!

e: also seconding McCreary being great and loving Diyoza. This season is great!

I loving love this show !!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I caught up with the season and I have to say that this one is a pretty big improvement over the last two. Who would have guessed that burning down the setting and starting over from scratch would actually work this time?

I third Diyoza and McCreary being great. The whole prison ship plotline has turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

As someone who has criticized this show's handling of artificial gravity several times before, I have to give it props for giving the prison mothership not just centrifuges, but counter-rotating centrifuges to conserve angular momentum. Not even many "realistic" Sci-Fi shows/movies think of that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys are doing tv right. I went to reddit to read the 100 sub...

Lots of shippers in there. I left the sub and deleted my history.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Madi made the right call, everybody is underestimating Octavia. And Octavia was right to have death botanist shoot the people who would desert Wonkru for the neo sky bitch imperialists

Kane becoming a straight up traitor to his people, becoming Diyoza's Kissinger and hapless sexual conquest, is pretty hilarious

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea, it's better than Juancru starves to death united by fear of their crazy incompetent leader.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kane's priority is the survival of as many people as possible, he doesn't give a gently caress about which "nation" is on top.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rocksicles posted:

You guys are doing tv right. I went to reddit to read the 100 sub...

Lots of shippers in there. I left the sub and deleted my history.

What’s the worse one?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s the worse one?

Anything with shippers should be nuked from orbit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

people who enjoy media in a different way than I do deserve to burn, this is a reasonable position to hold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

people who enjoy media in a different way than I do deserve to burn, this is a reasonable position to hold

Are you taking the side of shipper scum?

• Locked thread