Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But keep in mind, even bad shows represent a tremendous amount of blood and sweat on behalf of the artists working on it. And I'm sure in private, animators are more than frank with each other about the shows they work on-but that's in private, and that's with inside working knowledge of the industry and of the circumstances animators work under. By contrast, when some idiot on twitter goes out in public saying 'gently caress this show it looks like hot garbage,' or 'gently caress this show for not having more representation', that's a direct insult to a lot of people who don't have any control over those circumstances-so is it any surprise that a lot of animators are going to take those insults personally, even when they're not the ones working on those shows?

No disagreeing at all, (those particular opinions make more factors) the salient point I'm trying to make it that there are shows that are almost universally disliked and if your response to people disliking them is anything more then 'yeah that annoying orange show kept me fed for awhile.' Your kind of the weirdo, remember when the emoji movie writer went full supervillain 'you'll regret this' when people pointed out it was the loving emoji movie? I'm sure he was feeling a lot of stress at the time (because again, loving emoji movie destroying his good name), but imagine he was a suit with real power quietly stewing until CartoonReviewerxXx420 grew up to try and get a job in the industry they love. That's the real dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

And it's stupid and lovely, hence the "This is hosed up" stuff. The original point brought up was "Great, so how many POC and LGBT people will get shut out because they had strong critiques of this or that" even.

I don't think anybody will get blocked for opinions. I think people will get shut out for trolling and directly shittalking other creators, and I don't see why POCs or LGBT people should be exempt from that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm of two minds on this. Types like Mr. Enter and John K are a bunch of pretentious know nothing know it all's and you can feel the smugness from every word they put down. Their general obnoxiousness besides, they're absolutely close-minded and rigid, and I imagine would be an absolute pain to work with, to say nothing about the limits of their "visions." Funnily enough, John K was really bad at working with others despite his arrogance, as he was constantly late with his submissions and from what I've heard at his team, wasn't even there most of the time.

But I think it would suck if someone put down an honest to god critique of Steven Universe, not out of spite like some of the more dyed in the wool SJW stereotypes I've seen some people do (like that weird Riley person or some blogger that was posted who said the whole premise of the Bismuth episode was full-blown racist and refusing to shatter Gems is like refusing to punch Nazis even though Rose et al were willing to fight), but a serious rundown of things, yet would still get shitcanned for simply disagreeing with the status quo. It would be eerily reminiscent of someone badmouthing Miyazaki and similarly getting the boot over in Japan, as they are hardcore about working to the bone while also being conformist as all hell when it comes to the top dogs of any industry. I'd hate for creators I respect to actually be like that behind the scenes. I'd like to think Zuke parted ways with the crewniverse on amicable terms, but man those rumors still bug me no matter how much I want to tell myself that they're just unverified gossip, and then there was that parting note on Tumblr.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Also, encouraging artists to never speak out has a impact on things like anti-union overtime slave wage bullshit that was sausage party. Seriously. Seth Rogen of all people is a godamn Pinkerton and people were afraid to speak up due to getting black-listed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TwoPair posted:

I think people will get shut out for directly shittalking other creators, and I don't see why POCs or LGBT people should be exempt from that.

Some people deserve to get shittalked and a bunch of material badmouthed, especially from LGBT points of view these days.

And I mean a lot of the time even our super mild opinions in media and elsewhere already get turned into "The big mean queers tore into us", so I'm not gonna be all that sold on us getting fair shakes in this sorta stuff. :shrug:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 23, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fellbat posted:

Seriously. Seth Rogen of all people is a godamn Pinkerton and people were afraid to speak up due to getting black-listed.

I googled that word and I'm sure he's not a spy or something? What are you referring to exactly?

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

I googled that word and I'm sure he's not a spy or something? What are you referring to exactly?

Oh a sorry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_strike

Basically the guys you are looking up did America's anti-union nonsense back in the day.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pinkertons were union-busting thugs. Spying against labor movements was one of the things they did, but they were mostly known for violent repression of unions.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Someone at the WB must be feeling rather put out given they had to author that video that caused all this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's a difference between making blanket statements or subtweeting, or giving honest critique.... versus shittalking. A clear difference. If you have ideas on how a show you like could be better and you voice those thoughts, you're not going to be in any trouble in the industry. If you dislike a show and explain yourself politely and without malice, you aren't going to be in trouble -- the younger generation helming modern cartoons are not going to carry grudges against nice people.

The people who get themselves into trouble are the kind of people who never graduated out of the kind of shitposting that made the old webcomic threads here at SA awful to read. If you're an art student and you're making pointed statements specifically aimed at the people working on the show, or if you make Youtube videos called "THE FIVE WORST CARTOONS ON CARTOON NETWORK" or if you, I dunno, make threats at people, or sling insults at specific people on the show.... they're not going to want to hire you and create a potentially toxic work environment.

I do not think that showrunners will still feel the sting about what some teen said to them 10 years ago, but if you're presently looking for work and you're shittalking, I don't know what to tell you.

Yardbomb posted:

Some people deserve to get shittalked and a bunch of material badmouthed, especially from LGBT points of view these days.
From my experience of watching fandom shitstorms, a lot of the TV/comic artists who get placed in the crosshairs are queer themselves, like Lauren Zuke with SU. Also I think there are perfectly fine ways of communicating criticisms of these issues that won't get people in trouble.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 23, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

all of the ones that have this similar style with more human characters always remind me of the same thing:

although looking at them side by side like this reveals the many differences

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DC Murderverse posted:

all of the ones that have this similar style with more human characters always remind me of the same thing:

Bryan Lee O’Malley’s style is deceptive in that while it looks very simple, it’s fairly hard work.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shittalking people in a field that you want to potentially work in is a really, really good way to NOT get yourself a job in said field. A lot of jobs, especially in media, are all about networking and who you know and who they know. If you want to work in animation, but have a Twitter account where you constantly bitched about how terrible Uncle Grandpa was, well, guess what. No matter how much the animation director at the Disney show you’re submitting your portfolio to likes your board work, they’re friends with the people who made Uncle Grandpa, and have already hired a couple former Uncle Grandpa alum for their new show, and as soon as they see your posts they’re gonna throw your portfolio in the shredder because they don’t want to create a potentially hostile work environment or piss off their friends.

Tangentially related story: sophomore year of college, there was a kid who lived on the the same floor as me. I’ll call him George because I can’t remember his real name. I went to Emerson, which is a liberal arts school. George was a Republican. Now, no one gave a poo poo about that, and I knew a few other students who were fiscally and politically conservative or even full on, voted-for-Bush’s-second-term Republicans. What people did give a poo poo about was George putting unapproved inflammatory posters up on the hallways, interrupting classes attempting to correct the professors perceived “liberal bias”, and then bitching publicly that he was being treated unfairly and being punished for his actions because he was the “only republican in a sea of liberals”. No, George, you were getting poo poo on because you were acting like an rear end in a top hat.

If you poo poo in your bed, you have no right to be surprised when you wake up covered in poo poo.

[Edit: here’s one of the current Ben 10 storyboard artist’s thoughts WRT Thundercats. She also draws “Manly Guys Doing Manly Things” which is a webcomic about video games but with a lot of commentary on masculinity.

https://twitter.com/coelasquid/status/999262362015182848?s=21
]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 23, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

With the Pinkertons they call them "private detectives" because if they called them a mercenary army people would get more upset about deploying them against civilians for attempting to organize against their masters.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

Why was there never a Scott Pilgrim cartoon? God damnit now I’m going to be mad about this all day.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

readingatwork posted:

Why was there never a Scott Pilgrim cartoon? God damnit now I’m going to be mad about this all day.

You can’t even buy the Scott Pilgrim game anymore

For like the last 6 years or so

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

readingatwork posted:

There was this short tie-in promo that aired on Adult Swim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmimK80duA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah after watching that cartoon back when it aired I kept thinking "Man I'd watch a whole series of that for sure"

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I honestly thought Michael Cera gave a better performance in the cartoon than the movie itself.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Hell, given how awful the production process is, the mere fact that some cartoons have any artistic vision left at all is really impressive.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Whiz Palace posted:

Hell, given how awful the production process is, the mere fact that some cartoons have any artistic vision left at all is really impressive.

Just loving LOL at kids today griping about how corporate cartoons are. Back in my day 95% of them were little more than glorified toy commercials conceived of by cynical marketing firms to be as cheap to make as possible. In fact I distinctly remember Sailor Moon blowing people’s minds at the time because they actually killed off Queen Beryl and moved on to a different overarching villain. It was like if He-Man killed Skeletor or something. It just wasn’t done because it ruined the magic plot formula that made kids want to buy poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Whiz Palace posted:

I think this for TV in general tbh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Yeah after watching that cartoon back when it aired I kept thinking "Man I'd watch a whole series of that for sure"
:agreed:

That and Bad Machinery are my two dream cartoon adaptions.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://io9.gizmodo.com/dcs-super-hero-girls-are-getting-some-kickass-new-desi-1826223946

So is this like a complete reboot? Because I watched bits and pieces of the original DC Super Hero Guuuuurls and it seemed kind of terrible.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yvonmukluk posted:

That and Bad Machinery are my two dream cartoon adaptions.

I've actually put probably way more thought into this than anyone who isn't actually a showrunner should and I'm not sure that any part of the Bobbinsverse could really be adapted besides Giant Days. The Bad Machinery cases are too long to be fit into a two part episode (which networks hate anyway because it doesn't work for reruns) and they're too short to take up an entire season/half season. Part of its charm is how British it is, which would likely be adapted out (at least if Cartoon Network or Disney made it).

And then Scary-Go-Round isn't kid friendly enough to get an animated adaptation.

[Edit: I guess if you just borrowed the characters and the setting, then you could make an animated series that's just a mystery of the week with cases that have nothing to do with the original comics, but it'd still end up being set in, like, some random american town]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 23, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Thompsons posted:

I honestly thought Michael Cera gave a better performance in the cartoon than the movie itself.

It's kind of weird to hear his voice coming out of the cartoon design, because the cartoon Scott and movie Scott are fairly different characters.

(Alternately, cartoon Scott is a lot better at getting the artist to draw him like the cool and funny dude than he thinks he is, while the movie Scott is much more obvious about being a manipulative bottom-feeder.

...giving it some thought, I think the comics version of the character genuinely is more successful; there are several references to him being a ladykiller who manages not to look like one, and his battening on to Knives is more about wanting an easy relationship than it is about getting her to pay for arcade games.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lelandjs posted:

I've actually put probably way more thought into this than anyone who isn't actually a showrunner should and I'm not sure that any part of the Bobbinsverse could really be adapted besides Giant Days. The Bad Machinery cases are too long to be fit into a two part episode (which networks hate anyway because it doesn't work for reruns) and they're too short to take up an entire season/half season. Part of its charm is how British it is, which would likely be adapted out (at least if Cartoon Network or Disney made it).

And then Scary-Go-Round isn't kid friendly enough to get an animated adaptation.

[Edit: I guess if you just borrowed the characters and the setting, then you could make an animated series that's just a mystery of the week with cases that have nothing to do with the original comics, but it'd still end up being set in, like, some random american town]
I think the 'americanised Bad Machinery' you speak of already exists and is called Gravity Falls. Considering we have the BBC over here, I could see them allowing multi-part stories, or at least an appropriately British adaption. Honestly, The Sarah Jane Adventures is probably the closest thing to a live-action Bad Machinery.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's kind of weird to hear his voice coming out of the cartoon design, because the cartoon Scott and movie Scott are fairly different characters.

(Alternately, cartoon Scott is a lot better at getting the artist to draw him like the cool and funny dude than he thinks he is, while the movie Scott is much more obvious about being a manipulative bottom-feeder.

...giving it some thought, I think the comics version of the character genuinely is more successful; there are several references to him being a ladykiller who manages not to look like one, and his battening on to Knives is more about wanting an easy relationship than it is about getting her to pay for arcade games.)

Of course, cartoon Scott is based on a flashback that the final volume of the comic established was not actually how those things went down, which of course the people making the cartoon/movie didn't have any way of knowing at the time, hence the disconnect between him & movie Scott.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I always found that really interesting considering how both of those ended.

In the comic, Scott ends up getting the Power of Understanding, because frankly he's kind of a dick and needs a reality check. It isn't enough for him to be in love. He needs to know what that properly entails, and how to find the give-and-take he's missing. In addition, Nega Scott and Scott merge, because Scott is finally confronting all he's done wrong and letting himself grow as a person.

In the movie, where Scott is a lot more pathetic, it's the Power of Self-Respect he ends up getting. He was a Michael Cera esque Nice Guy at his most bottom fever levels, to the point where he was mooching off of a high schooler for arcade game coins. He needs Self-Respect to worm out of this funk and finally grow, whereas the comic Scott may have loved himself too much. In this version he befriends Nega Scott, concluding that Nega Scott (and by extension himself) really isn't that bad.

In the game, you punch out Nega Scott, defeat Gideon clean with the Power of Love, and walk right into the game's bad ending. You literally cannot get the good ending unless you're playing as Ramona, which is a nice way of acknowledging a retro style beat-em-up can't really portray Scott's character growth properly.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Since it's a WB animation, what are the odds that Cartoon Network fucks over Thundercats Roar regardless of it's actual quality or any of the dumb controversy surrounding it? They seem to hate any show not made by them on their network except Teen Titans Go(and I think that's only because they get a big cut of the merch profits?).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think they'll give it a fair shot (after all if they really didn't want to air any WB content they wouldn't have licensed it) when it premieres but if it doesn't get ratings fast then it'll sink like a stone.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 24, 2018

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kX16v-jdOM

Uncanny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Teen Titans Go kicks rear end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

I think they'll give it a fair shot (after all if they really didn't want to air any WB content they wouldn't have licensed it) when it premieres but if it doesn't get ratings fast then it'll sink like a stone.

They license it because their Time-Warner overlords make them, and then they sabotage it because said overlords are incompetent

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Also Unikitty's seemed to have gotten a somewhat fair shake from CN

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Since it's a WB animation, what are the odds that Cartoon Network fucks over Thundercats Roar regardless of it's actual quality or any of the dumb controversy surrounding it? They seem to hate any show not made by them on their network except Teen Titans Go(and I think that's only because they get a big cut of the merch profits?).

0.000000001% of Thundercats Roar getting much of anything beyond it's initial release baring everyone kneeling to Sod on this one.

drrockso20 posted:

They license it because their Time-Warner overlords make them, and then they sabotage it because said overlords are incompetent

Dumb idea; maybe CN gave WB Animation just enough rope to hang themselves on this one?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 24, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
[Sorry, quote isn't edit.]

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just finished watching through the final season of Rocko's Modern Life. I felt the last season had a few episodes that didn't feel as strong as the earlier ones, but also had some really great episodes mixed in, so overall the quality maintained. I liked the episode Rocko on Wheels because it seemed the writers knew how the audience would react - initially the premise had me skeptical because it seemed odd that Rocko would have trouble with Skates due to his proficiency on a jackhammer (although I later realised that it does make sense because they require very different approaches) but then the episode remembered that when Rocko saves Heffer by switching to a Jackhammer to catch up with him when he loses control of his skates due to a concussion. That was pretty funny.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Captain N, it's a swamp adventure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just caught up with Miraculous and thought it was pretty good so far. Does the show have a thread? I couldn't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

I just caught up with Miraculous and thought it was pretty good so far. Does the show have a thread? I couldn't find it.
Afraid this is effectively the Miraculous thread. It's funny; I've spent almost two years travelling around mainland Europe where the show is huge (measured by merchandising and associated junk - having a young kid means I've been in a lot of toy departments, and the biggies are Marvel, Paw Patrol, Cars, Frozen and... Miraculous), but coming back to the UK it's relatively obscure, and it seems the same is true in the US. Ironic, considering it's made with English-speaking markets in mind!

Anyway, welcome to the global Easter egg hunt that is finding out which country gets to debut each new episode.