Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CBJSprague24 posted:

William Byron has sponsorship from Hertz for four races. :ironicat:

would love to see Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Dounts join up as well so I can watch the Hertz Donut car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

William Byron has sponsorship from Hertz for four races. :ironicat:

What am I missing that makes that ironic

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

What am I missing that makes that ironic

He's too young to rent a car. Most places require you to be 25.

I should've explained that earlier but I thought it was more common knowledge. Some places let younger drivers rent cars, but at a huge upcharge.

e- I still get excited for The Winston even though it's gotten bad. You guys remember when driver intros for the All-Star Race were a huge production? Me too. :(

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 20, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, who strapped a rocket to the 4?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I caught the last five laps of this race and my main takeaway is please for the love of god force DW to retire

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

kidcoelacanth posted:

I caught the last five laps of this race and my main takeaway is please for the love of god force DW Kevin Harvick to retire

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I just like that they came up with this totally silly package to try to eliminate that exact finish and welp....

It was fun, it was weird, but at the end of the day it was NASCAR.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Race was fine but bad ending

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the crushing inevitability of Kevin loving Harvick

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If Harvick is anywhere in the top 10 with 20 laps to go at this point, he's going to be the first across the line when the checkered waves.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I like it when Harvick wins I hope he wins every race and loses the chase to a guy with no wins.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Elephanthead posted:

I like it when Harvick wins I hope he wins every race and loses the chase to a guy with no wins.

:same:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

mischief posted:

I just like that they came up with this totally silly package to try to eliminate that exact finish and welp....

It was fun, it was weird, but at the end of the day it was NASCAR.

I did appreciate the guys in the booth attempting to sell the end of the race like there was any chance in hell someone was going to catch the #4. Now, with this package the #19 should be able to suck right back up to the #4. Except they said that during the first stage as well and the #4 in clean air was untouchable then too.

But yes I agree that it was fun and weird and at the end it was the same ol' poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/998619396649226241

:ughh:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

See what you've done Spencer?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This timeline loving sucks

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That's a loving long time, if Chase is running Bristol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aw man, I have to pull for Chase now at Daytona?

Also, Truex and Sherry are being celebrated by Trump right now at the White House.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So we missed out on SRA in a hooters car...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Nah I think Hooters is one of Chase's sponsors.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You think villains in this sport and you think Brian France and Bruton Smith, but then Rob Kauffman reminds you exists while simultaneously saying "Hold my beer". (He's bitching about 41 cars on the entry list for Charlotte.)

https://twitter.com/kauffmanrob/status/998727647382396928

Another report about a NASCAR sale, with this one featuring a former NASCAR executive dumping on the sport and the Post indicating that a NASCAR buyer could be paying $25B on a gamble that the sport will reverse its trend (:lol:): https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.86282c6148d8

...and today is "Who gets to join Jeff Gordon in the HoF next year" day:
https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/998710342741118978

Gordon, Baker, Farmer, Gant, Stefanik.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

Another report about a NASCAR sale, with this one featuring a former NASCAR executive dumping on the sport and the Post indicating that a NASCAR buyer could be paying $25B on a gamble that the sport will reverse its trend (:lol:): https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.86282c6148d8

Interesting tidbit that Brian France sold all of his shares in NASCAR in 2004 or 2005.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

gret posted:

Interesting tidbit that Brian France sold all of his shares in NASCAR in 2004 or 2005.

Yeah, that was hinted in the WSJ article at the start of last year which went :killdozer: on NASCAR but now it's been referred to twice. Lesa and Jim keeping him in charge in spite of that is either complacency or ineptitude, especially as he ran the ship aground.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

You think villains in this sport and you think Brian France and Bruton Smith, but then Rob Kauffman reminds you exists while simultaneously saying "Hold my beer". (He's bitching about 41 cars on the entry list for Charlotte.)

https://twitter.com/kauffmanrob/status/998727647382396928

...and today is "Who gets to join Jeff Gordon in the HoF next year" day:
https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/998710342741118978

Gordon, Baker, Farmer, Gant, Stefanik.

Kulwicki is making it in :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

iospace posted:

Kulwicki is making it in :colbert:

It's getting hard to pick now because there aren't clear-cut favorites beyond Gordon as there would've been a few years ago. You could make a case for Kulwicki, Labonte, Rudd, Hyde, Shelmerdine and even McGriff who just ran a K&N West race at 90. I picked Stefanik because he won the Busch North and Mod titles in the same year (twice) (e- and this gem):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ety4xvApDfw

...and Farmer because he fits into the "put him in before he kicks it" notion. Putting the owners in feels too much like nepotism to me.

Speaking of nepotism, I forgot the Landmark Award was a thing. I'd say Barney Hall or Janet Guthrie, though it probably goes to Jim Hunter having worked for NASCAR.

e2- Junyer with some deep thinkin':
https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/999309065762299905

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 23, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

If Kulwicki doesn't get in I'm gonna whip Brian France's rear end.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Good to know Junyer still blazes even as a father

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gordon, Davey Allison, Kulwicki, Penske, Roush.

Which member of the France family did Buddy Baker assault or sodomize in some way that he keeps getting passed over?

E-
https://twitter.com/NASCARHall/status/999405442932592641?s=19

Hall of Famer Jack Rousch. So nice, they misspelled it twice.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 23, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://racer.com/2018/05/23/davey-allison-jeff-gordon-alan-kulwicki-roger-penske-and-jack-roush-elected-to-nascar-hall-of-fame/

Dave Allison, Alan Kulwicki, Jeff Gordon, Roger Penske and Jack Roush for the HoF this year.

After that Dinner with Racers special, I’m glad Kulwicki made it in this season. Allison too, thinking about the timing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Yeah I knew you were a pussy Brian.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Gordon, Davey Allison, Kulwicki, Penske, Roush.

Which member of the France family did Buddy Baker assault or sodomize in some way that he keeps getting passed over?

He once shook Smokey Yunick's hand in public

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hope ISC is not bundled in with NASCAR. A good way that maybe we could go to some new tracks rather than just make a everything a roval if we have to. And maybe ISC goes after a few more Indycar races like California or Michigan would be cool. Speaking of this and the HoF, with the sale, Smokey Yunick won't be shunned from the sport, hopefully.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BMB5150 posted:

I hope ISC is not bundled in with NASCAR. A good way that maybe we could go to some new tracks rather than just make a everything a roval if we have to. And maybe ISC goes after a few more Indycar races like California or Michigan would be cool. Speaking of this and the HoF, with the sale, Smokey Yunick won't be shunned from the sport, hopefully.

I'm wondering if there's a potential buyer who would be less worried about shoving ticket revenue right back into its own pockets as NASCAR/ISC are and might be willing to drop a Kansas race for an Iowa. I laugh when I hear "the track owners are worried about losing ticket sales" when, in reality, you could just swap in "NASCAR" for "the track owners" for the majority of the tracks on the schedule.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Whoops.

quote:

Kevin Harvick, winner of five of 12 races this season and the pole-sitter for last year’s Coca-Cola 600, did not turn a qualifying lap when his No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford failed pre-qualifying inspection three times. His car chief, Robert Smith, has been ejected, Harvick will serve a 30-minute practice hold Saturday, and most notably, he will start Sunday’s race from the rear of the field.

NASCAR mentioned last week that they were going to crack the whip on some of the rear window shenanigans...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

NASCAR just desperately trying to make the race more interesting

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

kidcoelacanth posted:

NASCAR just desperately trying to make the race more interesting

I think that's a fire that they're not putting out anytime soon.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
The 600 has been a dumpster fire for... poo poo... a decade now? It's one of the few races I actually recommend people don't attend in person. It's just not fun at all.

I got to see David Reutimann win one though, that was a thing.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

mischief posted:

The 600 has been a dumpster fire for... poo poo... a decade now? It's one of the few races I actually recommend people don't attend in person. It's just not fun at all.

I got to see David Reutimann win one though, that was a thing.

I went once and it was the Casey Mears fuel mileage race. I thought it was awesome though because the guys I went with had a niece or something that worked for NASCAR in some capacity and we got to meet a bunch of drivers, watch the Cup race from the infield, watch the Busch race from the pits, plus the races over on the dirt track too.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

bigbillystyle posted:

I went once and it was the Casey Mears fuel mileage race. I thought it was awesome though because the guys I went with had a niece or something that worked for NASCAR in some capacity and we got to meet a bunch of drivers, watch the Cup race from the infield, watch the Busch race from the pits, plus the races over on the dirt track too.

I checked the top 3 of that race jesus its amazing

1. Casey Mears
2. J. J. Yeley
3. Kyle Petty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

mischief posted:

The 600 has been a dumpster fire for... poo poo... a decade now?

I think it got this rep after '05 was such a clown show and it never really got better apparently