Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GargleBlaster posted:

Holy moly... I was just looking at whether I want to upgrade from the GTX760 I bought for £185 exactly 4 years ago (funny enough I was thinking "must've been about 4 years ago since I did my last build" and dug out my receipt. 23rd May 2014.)

I'm pretty sure this was the recommended high quality 1080p card in the parts picking thread back in the day.

Nowadays the recommendation at that level is a 1070 which starts at £400. As I dabble with Linux a lot (dual boot) really I'd want AMD for the non-terrible support and the equivalent would be a Vega56 to the tune of an eye watering £550! I did my entire build for not much more than that!

I.... think I'll stick with the 760.

Console gaming from now on if prices continue on like this

For high (highest) quality 1080p gaming in new AAA titles the 1060 6GB is perfectly fine and you might also be able to get away with a 1060 3GB if you're willing to compromise a bit on texture quality. The 1070 can do 1440p at 60fps at highest quality settings, the 1070Ti and 1080 are for 1440p at high refresh rates (>100 Hz) and the 1080Ti is for 4K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Fair point on console game prices!

TBH I don't tend to immediately play the latest AAA titles anyway, I wait for the bug fixes and price drops. So probably don't need the latest and greatest card. I've not really had issues with the 760 but was thinking it's coming to around the time to look at upgrades. Could be the worst time with all the crypto BS though

Equivalent level RX 580 goes for about £300 which is still a leap from last time but at least a bit more palatable than the high end currently is.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

eames posted:

That's a good solution, just make sure you never try a modern high refresh rate monitor with variable sync.

Xbox One (X?) supports 120hz and freesync now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
And still runs all your games at 28 fps.

Freesync helps tons there, sure, but it's a far cry from the 120hz thing eames is talking about :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If you're looking for value for money in a hobby, you can do a lot better than PC gaming. It's a horribly expensive pasttime. A 1060 6GB on its own is still £250~, may as well save another 50 and get a PS4 pro instead.

When my hardware becomes obsolete in a couple of years I probably won't be sticking around for much longer than that unless hardware prices go back to sane levels.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
haha what? pc gaming is literally the cheapest loving hobby in the world, unless you're a dumbass like the people in this thread (hi) and keep buying expensive gpus and expensive games over and over

i have friends playing games with me on cheap 5 year old laptops they need for basic 2018 things anyway and they're having just as much fun. unless a ps4 can run office and/or eclipse, i don't see how you can go cheaper than a thing you already have. most good games run on wooden pcs anyway

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 23, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
People who live in U.S complaining about PC gaming prices deserves to get their teeth kicked in. China/Russia/Brazil poor peeps would kill to pay just $170 for a full refurb i5-4590 + 8GB + 500GB HDD PC minus the addon used GPU.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If you're looking for value for money in a hobby, you can do a lot better than PC gaming. It's a horribly expensive pasttime. A 1060 6GB on its own is still £250~, may as well save another 50 and get a PS4 pro instead.

When my hardware becomes obsolete in a couple of years I probably won't be sticking around for much longer than that unless hardware prices go back to sane levels.

How many games does 50 quid buy you on the ps4 platform? Compare that to the number of games you could get for the same money from steam sales, humble bundle, gog.. etc.

Not to mention the insanely large back catalogue on pc.

Console gaming is fine for what it is, and there are a number of interesting exclusives, but it's hard to see it being better value than PC gaming. You can whack all the settings down in games and play reasonably new titles on a lovely old PC. Difference is, people are often unsatisfied with 30fps and 720p, so they think one *has* to spend way more. That's fair enough, but let's not confuse barrier to entry (low) with "ideal experience" (somewhat higher).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

How many games does 50 quid buy you on the ps4 platform? Compare that to the number of games you could get for the same money from steam sales, humble bundle, gog.. etc.
[...]

Enough if you wait for the PSN/XBL sales which are pretty frequent, and occasionally even include DLC that you can't get on PC with a discount at all because the publisher is stubborn/greedy. Prices don't get quite as low, but you don't have to spend $60 on every console game just like people can wait a few months/years and buy PC games in sales/bundles.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Also, you only really need a new, high end graphics card if you want to play new AAA titles. Many of the most-played PC games really don't demand much in the way of graphics. If you're playing Overwatch at 1080p you'll do just fine with a $200 GTX 1050Ti, and even with that kind of card you can get fully playable framerates in recent AAA titles even at relatively high settings. If you want a stable 60fps you might have to turn down the eye candy a bit though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I still play games on an AM1with a 750ti that's only 20% faster than a q6600 and don't play games on my actual pc with a 1070 for reasons I cannot quite fathom

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GargleBlaster posted:

Holy moly... I was just looking at whether I want to upgrade from the GTX760 I bought for £185 exactly 4 years ago (funny enough I was thinking "must've been about 4 years ago since I did my last build" and dug out my receipt. 23rd May 2014.)

I'm pretty sure this was the recommended high quality 1080p card in the parts picking thread back in the day.

Nowadays the recommendation at that level is a 1070 which starts at £400. As I dabble with Linux a lot (dual boot) really I'd want AMD for the non-terrible support and the equivalent would be a Vega56 to the tune of an eye watering £550! I did my entire build for not much more than that!

GPU prices have actually come down a lot from the insane prices they were commanding a few months ago, but they're still kinda hosed. Right now I'm wondering why 1070s on Newegg are priced like 1070 Tis.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

GargleBlaster posted:

Using a 1070 for 1080p is getting into "max everything out on every game and don't think about it" territory. I have a 1060 and can play a lot of games at 4K no problem especially if I'm OK with medium instead of high detail, it's just the ones that are recent and particularly intensive that demand a lower resolution. I would assume an RX580 is in a similar area.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 23, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My 1070 doesn't manage 60fps on most intensive things with 2560x1080. It's paired with a 2600k @ 4.3ghz though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My 1070 can do 60-70fps at 4k in Doom ultra everything. Probably best case scenario. I had a RX480 that did 30-50fps in the same rig/settings.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I can average 60 on 4k Doom with a mix of medium and high with a 390 and that's with a (by now) measly 2500k @ 4.5. Even ultra everything is tolerable around 45 with the rare hard stutter (cpu bottlenecked to poo poo lol).

Game engines done right are a hell of a drug.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The 560 Ti I still haven't upgraded from when I built this computer 7 years ago plays Fallout 4 and Shadow of Mordor tolerably well on medium settings.

This hobby's expensive only if you've dragged your standards up enormously, not because it's actually expensive.

If it weren't for idiots, a plain 1050 (like 60% faster than my old card) would probably be under $100 by now. I'll grant things are still stupid, but it looks like the "burn up the planet to launder money on the internet" crowd is on its way to using ASICs exclusively, even for supposedly "asic-resistant" poo poo. So hopefully the GPU market won't suffer again.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

redeyes posted:

My 1070 can do 60-70fps at 4k in Doom ultra everything.

Ah see you got one of them rare special edition 1070's

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I got the rare special edition where you pay $10 less than MSRP near release.

I wouldn't pay much more than that for a 1070 and would just wait until the next gen. Now is not a good time to buy a video card unless you really need one. Usually, waiting is pointless and bad. Right now, waiting for 2019 CPUs/next gen GPUs/RAM prices is actually good and smart. Even MSRP isn't worth it at this point in their life cycle for current gen GPUs unless MSRP is going to jump a ton next gen.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The 980Ti I have still does well on most everything I throw at it as well. (Since it is technically close to a 1070). But when most games I am playing right now are Battletech, Deep Rock Galactic, and some Destiny 2, all at 1440P Korean Special still, it isn't too easy to justify a replacement yet even if the new cards drop.

VR can require more if I jump back into Project Cars 2 or Elite again, but with my lack of time, my main VR right now is Beat Saber.

I am wondering how bad off I can be in the long run considering I am still on an X79, 6 core E1660 V1 at 4.6Ghz, to get a 1180Ti to replace the 980Ti, or should I finally do a new build on top of that? Outside of power savings I just haven't seen the performance improvement until just recently with Ryzen/Threadripper and Intel finally throwing more cores at its Consumer line. Lol at the HEDT line pretty much being a nerfed joke unless you buy the $1000+ CPU. I really am eyeballing a TR 2 for the sake of all those cores going to my Encoding and whatever VM I Feel like running. Editing 4K video has to be a nice improvement going from 6 to 16 cores (and 32 threads).

Talking about PSU usage earlier I am still on my 2011 Cooler Master 1000W that was non modular but drat good back in its day (great reviews then) and considering my PC setup, I have watched the power usage hit the 900W range when I ran SLI 780Ti's back in the day. (Not sure if I got even higher back in the Q9550 + Crossfire 4870X2's for a few days lol) Still works good but I think it may be time to replace at least the PSU as I believe that may be getting close to its limit.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
All this talk of PSUs made me go check on when the warranty for my Corsair HX850 expires. Got it in 2011.

Turns out it's this October.

Not a bad warranty at all. I'll probably pick up another Corsair in November.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Guess I may as well link this over here too:

We are definitely looking at Zen for new consoles, it seems. This timeline also allows Sony to sidestep whatever abortion comes out of RTG in the next few years, as well.

Next PlayStation Is Three Years Off, Sony Says

quote:

By Takashi Mochizuki
May 23, 2018 5:30 a.m. ET
TOKYO—Don’t hold your breath for the fifth-generation PlayStation.

Sony Corp. wants to spend three more years readying its next videogame move, the head of the PlayStation business said Wednesday. That would mark a slight slowdown in the six-to-seven-year update cycle for the console since the first one in 1994. The PlayStation 4 went on sale in 2013 and has sold more than 79 million units.

“We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future,” said Tsuyoshi “John” Kodera, who took over last October.

Mr. Kodera spoke a day after Sony’s new chief executive, Kenichiro Yoshida, released his first three-year business plan. It included a conservative forecast for the videogame business, seeing operating profit in the final fiscal year of the plan, ending March 2021, slightly lower than the $1.6 billion it made in the year ended March 2018.

Sony has been shifting its PlayStation focus from hardware to online subscription services, including a $60 annual package that includes games and multiplayer features. That service, PlayStation Plus, had 34 million users as of March, fitting the new CEO’s goal of adding revenue sources that are more stable than volatile hardware and software sales.

Speaking to a small group of reporters, Mr. Kodera said the network-services side of PlayStation is changing the way Sony thinks about product introductions.

“We need to depart from the traditional way of looking at the console life cycle,” he said. “We’re no longer in a time when you can think just about the console or just about the network like they’re two different things.”

Mr. Kodera said the company is looking at ways to better incorporate mobility into the PlayStation, traditionally a living-room console. Nintendo Co.’s popular Switch machine can be used both in the home and as a portable device.

Sony sells the hand-held PlayStation Vita, but Mr. Kodera said that when it comes to mobility, the company doesn’t want to limit itself to a single dedicated device. “We need a broader perspective than that because so many things are now connected via the internet,” he said.

One challenge for Sony is competing against companies with broader subscription offerings in entertainment, such as Amazon.com Inc. and Netflix Inc.

Mr. Yoshida, the CEO, said in a separate group interview that PlayStation’s subscription services provide valuable consumer-spending data. He said PlayStation Vue, an internet television service in the U.S. that has struggled to match Amazon and Netflix, is bringing in useful user data and Sony had no plans to shut it down

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

What?! That is normal Vulkan performance for those right now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Weird YMMV price matching deals for cheap 1080s are back! It's like 2017 all over again! I paid $590 for my EVGA 1080 in January before they became unobtainable but I'm still happy to see some weird deals making them close to $450 again.
https://slickdeals.net/f/11627395-gpu-pny-geforce-gtx-1080-graphic-card-460?src=pdw

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

You just have to know how to tune it. Coax out that last 25% of power.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ItBurns posted:

You just have to know how to tune it. Coax out that last 25% of power.

Yeah as a matter of fact, all you need to do is cool the poo poo out of it. Pascal scales well with better cooling.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

Yeah as a matter of fact, all you need to do is cool the poo poo out of it. Pascal scales well with better cooling.

I should do benchmarks again, I put mine under water and it hits 37c

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hello, I have a silly question.

I currently have an AMD Sapphire 7870 XT that is basically a 7950 with some disabled cores and stuff, and since it's getting a bit old and inadequate for my gaming needs (newer titles of any kind, even not really graphics-intensive, tend to send it on full spin drawing a ton of power and making a lot of noise, it sucks) I'm starting to look for a possible replacement.

I paid 220€ for it and it looked like a decent bargain back in 2013 for a mid-range card. Of course back then a high-end card would be like 400€+ and everybody would say how that was too expensive :v:

Now, in a similar price bracket I see the 1050 Ti (190-220€), and the 1060 3GB (250-280€). Am I correct in thinking that for 50-60€ more, it's a no-brainer to pick the 1060 3GB out of the two? I game at 1080p. Also, would it be worth it waiting for a new generation? I can live a few more months with it, probably even into 2019.

It's just that I feel that for this price I should get a much bigger improvement over a 5 years old card, the 1060 3GB is indeed a decent card but it's firmly into the low end of things. Will there come again the day when a good, solid mid-range card will cost around 200-250€, or are we forever stuck with mid-range cards costing 350-400€+ and top end costing 600-700€+ ?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 24, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A 1060 6GB for about 300 USD (255 EUR according to Google) is about what you really want to look for at the moment. That said, it's going to cost you more than 255 EUR because of VAT.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wait. GPU prices have just come down to MSRP, rather than the EOL discount you'd expect by now. New cards are coming eventually but mid-range are most likely a while out.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Craptacular! posted:

A 1060 6GB for about 300 USD (255 EUR according to Google) is about what you really want to look for at the moment. That said, it's going to cost you more than 255 EUR because of VAT.

yeah cheapest price I see with VAT and all for a 6GB (that is not a mini version or a totally unknown silly sounding brand) from a reputable shop is around 330€, I could probably find a better deal if I kept looking but I'm still not sure if it's worth it, because

ItBreathes posted:

Wait. GPU prices have just come down to MSRP, rather than the EOL discount you'd expect by now. New cards are coming eventually but mid-range are most likely a while out.

I guess this is sound advice right now. Hopefully a new generation will be coming soon and prices will be back to not-insane... I can definitely wait a few months.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 24, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at this time in the cycle, 1060/580 should be costing about 180-200 after discounts, not 250+. There's more and more articles popping up for a new nvidia card in june? july?

If miners buy the new generation up, there'll be 1070s for $150 to get 2nd hand probably, and if they don't, well, get a 1170 for what 1070 costs today.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
That seems optimistic. At best you might see 390s or 480s at that price, but 1070s are powerful cards and the secondhand market is nowhere close to saturation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GargleBlaster posted:

As I dabble with Linux a lot (dual boot) really I'd want AMD

Nvidia is very well supported on Linux if you're willing to use proprietary drivers and aren't fixated on running Wayland.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

future ghost posted:

That seems optimistic. At best you might see 390s or 480s at that price, but 1070s are powerful cards and the secondhand market is nowhere close to saturation.

It's nowhere close to saturated right now because the 1070 is still a decent card for mining. If the 11x0 is notably more efficient (and there's little reason to assume it won't be), there's a good case to make that miners will start dumping mass quantities of 1070's on the market in a race to upgrade. I agree that $150 might be a little low, but you can already nab a used 1070 for $350 if you're patient, so a $200 price point doesn't seem unreasonable to expect during the inevitable firesales.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

It's nowhere close to saturated right now because the 1070 is still a decent card for mining. If the 11x0 is notably more efficient (and there's little reason to assume it won't be), there's a good case to make that miners will start dumping mass quantities of 1070's on the market in a race to upgrade. I agree that $150 might be a little low, but you can already nab a used 1070 for $350 if you're patient, so a $200 price point doesn't seem unreasonable to expect during the inevitable firesales.

spoken like a non believer.

No they will keep mining on the 1070 and make new rigs for the 11xx gpus

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:china:: hold on we forgot someone

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/china-micron-samsung-dram-shortage,37119.html

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I'm currently using a 2 gig gtx 760, buddy gave me a 2 gig 1050 to borrow until the next generation releases. How do they compare?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nur_Neerg posted:

I'm currently using a 2 gig gtx 760, buddy gave me a 2 gig 1050 to borrow until the next generation releases. How do they compare?

2GB GTX 1050? It's probably about even with the 760, and if it's faster it's probably by like 5-10%. Uses like half the power of a 760 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Nur_Neerg posted:

It uses less power but is basically the same performance level.