Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think many of the issues with the original season 4 come from it's slow start and it starting with some of the less interesting plots, like George Sr. and Michael's time in college. (Not to mention Lindsey's awful wig) You're also missing the presence of other characters as it's very solo focused in those first episodes.

The slow start comes to a great payoff however, and subsequent rewatches are always fantastic because you pick up on all the little clever details and can unravel the bizarre plotting. Season 4 is definitely up there with the early seasons in my eyes, but it can be different and jarring coming straight out of the syndicated series.

I very much enjoyed the remix, it was a great way to binge it in the background whilst doing work ahead of season 5. However I agree with the guy who created the video earlier, in that it was mostly unnecessary and a shame that it's presence effectively erases the first watch within Netflix, and feels like an attempted 'fix' to a problem with Season 4 that wasn't one of editing. It will be curious to see how people who have never watched Season 4 react to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm halfway through the season 4 remix and... the edit is not working, at all. It's still not properly chronological because it has to keep doubling back and recapping. The narration has to work so hard to be the connective tissue between scenes that are utterly disconnected. If the purpose was to express the overarching story more clearly, it's a failure, and the individual episodes are now much less focused as well.

A lot of the jokes are falling much flatter than I remember, and it makes me wonder if it's the new edit that's doing a worse job selling them or if I had just forgotten how bad they were.

I think season 4 has a couple of really amazing jokes (Fakeblock, a few things in the GOB/Tony Wonder plot), but it also has a gigantic amount of clunkers that rely on self-reference and simple wordplay, or sometimes simple slapstick. It's really noticeable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I hate the ANUSTART joke and thought it was trying too hard

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Season 4 has a lot of jokes that feel like they were "the best we can do" without being able to use more than one of the main cast at a time, which I think is what really drags it down more than the format itself. Virtually nothing involving George's sweat lodge buddies, DeBrie, etc. were worth more than a chuckle. And that was basically all there was for a few episodes. The face blind guy was pretty funny (I guess they do well with blind girlfriend/boyfriend humor) and Gob fared pretty well, but still, a lot of dead air.

Spacing that stuff out among more stuff with the main cast definitely helps, but it doesn't really fix it, ultimately. It's less painful at first, but it lasts longer.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

What are those pieces of Tobias' Thing suit that look like sticks of butter coming out of his shoulderblade? I just assumed the joke is that it's mismatched foam but I want to make sure I'm not missing some kind of butter joke because of Carl Weathers' Swappigans

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Isometric Bacon posted:

It will be curious to see how people who have never watched Season 4 react to it.

I have not watched season 4 since it debuted and have very little recollection of it, and 3 episodes into the remix and it seems almost incomprehensible. It feels like a giant recap that would only work for those who have a better recollection of the season. I can’t see it working as anything other than background filler for anyone who never watched the original cut.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I hate the ANUSTART joke and thought it was trying too hard

I thought the fact that it was his licence plate was a great gag, but half the cast repeating it 87 times per episode wore thin.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The best joke in season four is when George Michael almost does his chicken dance, only to be interrupted.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The ANUSTART gag definitely felt a wee bit forced, but it was great when Lucille called him that and the narrator said "And she hadn't even seen the license plate."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The sex offender thing was a classic example of one of my least favorite television tropes, where if anybody actually explained what was really going on, the plot couldn't happen.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Boy, this cast interview reflects really poorly on every dude on the show:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts/television/arrested-development-netflix-interview-jeffrey-tambor.html

Jessica Walter literally goes into tears recalling a time Tambor exploded at her on set, and all the male cast members try to downplay it and talk over her until she is sufficiently forgiving. Bateman is a particular piece of poo poo about it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Boy, this cast interview reflects really poorly on every dude on the show:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts/television/arrested-development-netflix-interview-jeffrey-tambor.html

Jessica Walter literally goes into tears recalling a time Tambor exploded at her on set, and all the male cast members try to downplay it and talk over her until she is sufficiently forgiving. Bateman is a particular piece of poo poo about it.

Holy poo poo, that audio is depressing. Poor Jessica.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LividLiquid posted:

The sex offender thing was a classic example of one of my least favorite television tropes, where if anybody actually explained what was really going on, the plot couldn't happen.

Sure, but tobias talking about "daddy's thing" and helping him "get his rocks off" might be the best thing written that the always oblivious doofus has ever said. I howled the first time I heard that bit. Yes, I'm childish.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Supercar Gautier posted:

Bateman is a particular piece of poo poo about it.

Look, he's just trying to helpfully explain how the industry works to a woman who was an accomplished actress before he was even born.

Christ, what a piece of poo poo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea......I don't think I like Jason Bateman anymore, that was a truly lovely interview.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So, I don't think theres gonna be a season 6 of Arrested Development, fellas.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That was disappointing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
Yeah, what little interest I had in watching season 5 just evaporated after reading that interview.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, what little interest I had in watching season 5 just evaporated after reading that interview.

I was looking forward to it, but I don't know if I can get over Bateman being almost as bad as Tambor and the idea that anything resembling season 6 would still have Tambor because of Bateman.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I was looking forward to it, but I don't know if I can get over Bateman being almost as bad as Tambor and the idea that anything resembling season 6 would still have Tambor because of Bateman.

It's particularly galling because they're going to be using the Bluths to make fun of Trump, and while normally I'd be totally on board for that, it's gonna feel more than just a tad hypocritical given Tambor's past issues on "Transparent" and the problems Bateman and Cross apparently have with mansplaining and just acting like jackasses when it comes to certain issues women have.

I'm glad to see Alia Shawkat wasn't having any of their poo poo, and I wouldn't be surprised if she opts of out of coming back for any potential Season 6. I also wonder if that wasn't at least part of the reason why Portia de Rossi finally said "gently caress acting" and decided to do something else.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's been a long time since an interview just completely killed my interest in a show or actor. These aren't off the cuff remarks by Bateman. It's clear he's thought about this and long justified it. Any apology is going to ring really hollow to me. Apologize to the crying woman next you and yeah sure but it's too late for that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's been a long time since an interview just completely killed my interest in a show or actor. These aren't off the cuff remarks by Bateman. It's clear he's thought about this and long justified it. Any apology is going to ring really hollow to me. Apologize to the crying woman next you and yeah sure but it's too late for that.

Thankfully, Bateman and Cross are apparently really getting raked over the coals on Twitter etc. for defending Tambor and brushing Jessica Walter aside during that interview. Their conduct during that interview really turned off a lot of people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's one of the more impressive examples of people refusing to get the point. It's especially bizarre in that Tambor barely even tries to defend himself - he just lets his cohort do it for him.

I expect I'll still watch the season but lol this'll definitely be the last.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 24, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Thankfully, Bateman and Cross are apparently really getting raked over the coals on Twitter etc. for defending Tambor and brushing Jessica Walter aside during that interview. Their conduct during that interview really turned off a lot of people.

I don't think anyone with a dick comes out of that interview well. Cross, at times, seemed to try and contextualise at least that this wasn't Tambor coming in one day and deciding to be a dick and that perhaps he and Walter had been butting heads for a while. But that's a pretty generous reading of what he's saying.

What's galling is the willingness they have to defend Tambor instantly, Bateman in particular. Like I have no doubt they're friends but you can still be friends and say you know what, what you did was a lovely thing and I hope you've learned from it.

What's sad is that mid-interview Walter realises she has no one's support (Apart from Shawcat) and just decides to drop it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595735212609536

Or, to summarise, “I’ve made a huge mistake...”

And I imagine he’s just as sincere as GOB generally is about fixing his fuckup :rolleyes:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I don’t know where I read it but supposedly Tambor went to bat for Bateman being cast in AD when he couldn’t get work for being a coke head which maybe explains his willingness to go to bat for Tambor.

Still lovely though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, Bateman is kind of a fucker. I'm not even gonna bother with the new season. I was on the fence about hopping back in, but hearing a bunch of assholes dogpile onto a veteran actress that's crying is just really kinda gross.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

PT6A posted:

https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595735212609536

Or, to summarise, “I’ve made a huge mistake...”

And I imagine he’s just as sincere as GOB generally is about fixing his fuckup :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's about as half-assed an apology as it gets. I wouldn't blame Jessica Walter one bit if she told him and the rest of those guys to go gently caress themselves.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Idk as far as celebrity apologies goes that's a million times better than most. He actually admits fault.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

What's really sad is listening to Jessica say "I've been in this business for 60 years" and imagining all the sexist poo poo she's had to deal with in that time, then her saying "It's never been like this" and still being completely dismissed because men are fragile.

Bateman was especially lovely but for Cross to come out and say "He's still learning!!" The dude is in his drat 70s but boys will boys, even when they're elderly.

Jessica is amazing (I actually just saw her on an episode of Columbo lol) she doesn't deserve this poo poo.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The line "there’s never any excuse for abuse, in any form, from any gender." in the apology seems like a weird thing to add in, like suggesting hey you don't realise how annoying Walters was being before the abuse.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's been a long time since an interview just completely killed my interest in a show or actor.

That interview is brutal.

Tambor was basically handed a second chance based on how beloved the show is and he squandered it entirely because he couldn't just say "I was an rear end in a top hat and I'm going to try and not be an rear end in a top hat anymore and I'm sorry Jessica".

And Bateman doubled down and made it worse. And Cross did his usual smug superiority thing when he talked about Trump and the audience probably not being smart enough to realize how prescient some of the jokes in the previous seasons were ... and then immediately acted like the stupidest of Trump supporters and jumped to the defence of an obvious monster.

gently caress these people and especially gently caress them for souring me on a great show.

At least Shawkat came across as a voice of reason. I hope she never works with these shitheads again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Annabel Pee posted:

The line "there’s never any excuse for abuse, in any form, from any gender." in the apology seems like a weird thing to add in, like suggesting hey you don't realise how annoying Walters was being before the abuse.

That kinda sat wrong with me, too. Along with his comments about rushing to support Tambor and claiming he didn't realize he was doing so at Jessica's expense. He (and the other men present) basically just took Tambor's side without a second thought, even as the woman Tambor verbally abused was sitting there crying right in front of them. So as far as I'm concerned it's less of a genuine apology, and more just an attempt at damage control once he realized people were outraged.

E: also, gently caress David Cross. He's always bern kind of unbearable in regards to considering himself intellectually superior to everyone else, but he's really disappeared up his own rear end about it in the last decade or so.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 24, 2018

Debonhare
Jan 15, 2004
I like rice.
I like that the actual first line of defense was ‘Hey hold on now lady, I’ve yelled at you too. FAMILY!’

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Sydney Bottocks posted:

E: also, gently caress David Cross. He's always bern kind of unbearable in regards to considering himself intellectually superior to everyone else, but he's really disappeared up his own rear end about it in the last decade or so.

Maybe he'll just use his "it was a meta-comedy bit when I was acting like a total douche you just didn't understand it because I work at such a higher level than most people" excuse again.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
This also means that Hurwitz had every reason to believe that the accusations against Tambor from the crew of Transparent were true, but decided to keep Tambor on anyway.

I don't follow this sort of thing closely and thought that Arrested Development was well into filming/post production when the accusations came to light and that cutting Tambor would have been nearly impossible at that point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hmm. I don't think Hurwitz and most of the cast would carry on if Tambor left. Even though his role feels less and less relevant each season.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Filming was complete by the time the accusations came out. They most certainly didn't have a reasonable way to edit Tambor out of the show at that point, but that doesn't mean they had to stand by him and try to wish away the elephant in the room. I think Netflix and Hurwitz gambled on the hope that the backlash would be minimal, and are only now realizing how toxic this situation is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S4 OG has some of the actual biggest laughs in the series and this recut doesn’t maintain that at all. Some of the new gags are good, nothing will ever top the Mongolian reveal at the end, and Gob’s roofie circle is too diminished.

The remix is fine, but I’m one of the people who thought S4 was brilliant.

As disappointing as all this Tambor clamour is, I still can’t wait for S5 to drop.

Also, apparently the cast didn’t get paid for the remix and they all think that’s bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Filming was complete by the time the accusations came out. They most certainly didn't have a reasonable way to edit Tambor out of the show at that point, but that doesn't mean they had to stand by him and try to wish away the elephant in the room. I think Netflix and Hurwitz gambled on the hope that the backlash would be minimal, and are only now realizing how toxic this situation is.

Ah, you're right. I looked it up and filming started in August.

• Locked thread