Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

drunkill posted:

Yeah true, but snoke hologram was dumb anyway.

The red really stands out because the rest of the hologram is blue, so when he takes off the hood of his black robes (with blue highlights due to hologram) and you see his red face it stands out a bunch. Then the bright red lightsaber is even more contrast-y. Voice by Sam Witwer, like in Clone wars and Rebels. Ray Park is shown, but given it is a hologram with facemakeup and added cgi, it looks a bit weird and stands out. He is older and ugly.

Infact, here is a screencap I found on reddit of Maul: https://i.redd.it/g9lmt5u49lz01.jpg

There is a war scene in this, sorta Starship Troopers infantry-rush style war. Dark, very muddy, trench warfare-like, which I think some people were expecting RO to be, instead of a tropical and bright battle. This is muddy and gritty but basically 100% infantry focused and no enemy is really seen except as silhouettes.

AT-AT dropships, ISDs hanging around in-atmosphere in the far distance, imperial army assault on some random planet.

Wait, Maul pulls out his lightsaber? Is he, like, using it to intimidate someone over hologram?

This movie was almost the first Star Wars movie without a lightsaber showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep. Pulls out his staff saber (same design was Rebels, with it concealed as a walking stick) and lights it up in the hologram.

Turns out he runs a cartel. The very end is him threatening/ordering Qira to go to Dathomier to work 'even closer' with Maul in running the Crimson Dawn syndicate, after Qira kills the boss (can't remember his name, played by Paul Bettany) a few minutes earlier.

Bad dude also has saber-edged daggers, so technically there is kind of a lightsabers being used in the movie.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
GUZZOLINE HYPERFUEL!

Called Coaxium in-universe, someone might have called it hyperfuel once, can't remember.

The intro text (not a crawl) gives a bit of a setup, crimelords everywhere, empire trying to establish control over the galaxy. Just a little bit Mad Max-y.
The text is a few lines like above across 3-4 cards, coming right after 'A long, long time ago...' and the lucasfilm intro.

Anyway, sleep.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 23, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

Anyway, sleep.

That boring, huh?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Solo was kinda garbage. Didn't annoy me with lovely humour like Last Jedi did so there's that. It was a bland, agreeable till' the end, but after that I had to take a sanity check. I don't mind having watched it. Actors were surprisingly decent, and the lead didn't actually start ticking me off like he seemed he would judging by the trailers.

All the twists at the end were getting a little ridiculous, and one of the messages being about inclusiveness was so hamfisted I kept groaning. I didn't mind the previous films for casting or female leads or whatever lovely Internet people have been in uproar about but that twist was executed in a manner that took away from the film. I didn't mind the "droid rights" stuff that has even been thought over in the SW threads on SA before, but was kinda afraid of any backlash it may cause.

Maul. I don't know. Seems like such an unnecessary thing to do. I've watched Rebels and some clips of clone wars, so I guess he's somewhat interesting/cool a character. But average film goer just sees a large retcon, and even Star Wars fans like my friend who actually buys into Star Wars board games for example, but hasn't watched Rebels/Clone Wars got nothing out of it. What's the reasoning behind the twist? What would Maul even be doing? How the gently caress is he even alive after Kenobi? (twice)

Also was Corellia retconned into a poo poo hole now? I swear it has been portrayed as a decent place in SW fiction before, all things considered. I mean I get that a planet would/could have various standards of living, especially during times of Galactic unrest.

edit: And yeah the Hyperfuel was now suddenly something important which had some name starting with a C.

edit 2: Crime Syndicates being a thing was moderately cool and keeping in line with some decent parts of old EU.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 23, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hyperfuel, eh?

Is that what the Resistance didn't have enough of in TLJ?
Yet were still somehow able to fuel, what, over two dozen transport ships? (Whch admittedly didn't have that far to go, but still...)

Are the Anthology movies just being made to explain mechanics in the numbered films?

What's next, Hyperspace Ramming Missiles in Solo 2: Lando Strikes Back?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I thought it was fine, if a bit uneven. The characters were the strongest part of it, and I liked most of them. My girlfriend had a lot of fun with all the silly Star Wars aliens at the poker game, so that's good at least.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dessel posted:

Maul. I don't know. Seems like such an unnecessary thing to do. I've watched Rebels and some clips of clone wars, so I guess he's somewhat interesting/cool a character. But average film goer just sees a large retcon, and even Star Wars fans like my friend who actually buys into Star Wars board games for example, but hasn't watched Rebels/Clone Wars got nothing out of it. What's the reasoning behind the twist? What would Maul even be doing? How the gently caress is he even alive after Kenobi? (twice)

This apparently takes place before the second fight with Kenobi.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dessel posted:

Also was Corellia retconned into a poo poo hole now? I swear it has been portrayed as a decent place in SW fiction before, all things considered. I mean I get that a planet would/could have various standards of living, especially during times of Galactic unrest.

It's never been portrayed in the films before, as far as I remember. Maybe it has in one of the TV shows, but books or other media don't really count.

Vinylshadow posted:

Hyperfuel, eh?

Yet were still somehow able to fuel, what, over two dozen transport ships? (Whch admittedly didn't have that far to go, but still...)

Presumably the fuel that lets you fly in space and the fuel that lets you jump to hyperspeed are different.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this is the only canon depiction of corellia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWgkYTajKA

source: this is the only star wars EU material I'm actually familiar with

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, they should really bring back Rogue Squadron.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was just kind of an earth like planet from what I remember. It had some big cities with smuggler stuff but it wasn't a grimy criminal city planet or anything

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

Man, they should really bring back Rogue Squadron.

Fingers crossed that Star Wars Resistance takes all the notes from the RS series

May as well set myself up for disappointment early, right?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Not sure which of the two threads this belongs in, but here's an interview where Emilia Clarke trashes Lord & Miller and praises Kathleen Kennedy and Ron Howard:

quote:

"I struggled with Qi’ra quite a lot. I was like: ‘Y’all need to stop telling me that she’s “film noir,” because that ain’t a note.’ ” Frustrated by the lack of direction, she turned to Solo’s father-and-son screenwriters, Lawrence and Jon Kasdan, for support."

quote:

Clarke says Howard’s arrival “saved” the movie: “All hail to [Lucasfilm president] Kathy [Kennedy] for hiring Ron.” Slipping into a mocking impression of herself, Clarke re-enacts a self-pitying therapy session with Howard over a private meal they shared before resuming production. “He even feigned enthusiasm!” she says. “I know for a fact he had that discussion with everybody. I think we all came to set feeling like his favorite. It makes for a really happy load of actors, with our egos.”

quote:

Clarke wasn’t privy to everything that led up to the director swap, but she wasn’t entirely surprised, either. “When it comes to that amount of money, you’re almost waiting for that to happen. Money fucks us all up, doesn’t it? There’s so much pressure. Han Solo is a really beloved character. This is a really important movie for the franchise as a whole. It’s a poo poo ton of money. A poo poo ton of people. A poo poo ton of expectations.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/emilia-clarke-cover-story

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
“I was like: ‘Y’all need to stop telling me that she’s “film noir,” because that ain’t a note.’ ”

Lol where is she from again?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Emilia is probably the only actor who brought me out of the movie. She was a bit awkward in some scenes but maybe that was just some dodgy characterization/direction/reshoot changes. Alden was... fine? Great? I don't really like Woody in most movies, but I liked him in this. There wasn't much chemistry between the ensemble though.

There is about 30% of this movie that feels like it was made by, say, the people who made the Lego movie. Or at least a sub-plot and I was glad it was in it.

I have to say that the Wookies that were freed were loving weird.

This could easily have been a movie produced by George Lucas. In a way Maul is there to remind you that, yes, this a Disney Star Wars movie and dumb poo poo needs to be added. The whole "set up for a sequel" bit at the end was a bit disappointing, as was the "Let's go to Tatooine".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wank posted:

Emilia is probably the only actor who brought me out of the movie. She was a bit awkward in some scenes but maybe that was just some dodgy characterization/direction/reshoot changes.

She's just a pretty bad actress.

lol @ the fuel thing. gotta try and make it seem like fuel was a thing because people got super mad at it in TLJ

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

drunkill posted:

Infact, here is a screencap I found on reddit of Maul: https://i.redd.it/g9lmt5u49lz01.jpg

:pwn:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Vinylshadow posted:

Hyperfuel, eh?

Are the Anthology movies just being made to explain mechanics in the numbered films?

What's next, Hyperspace Ramming Missiles in Solo 2: Lando Strikes Back?

It's pretty obvious that the fuel used in those bombers / transports would barely make a drop into the tank on that massive loving flagship. Plus they might not even use the same type of fuel. But for all its majesty and technological knowledge, how the galaxy hasn't invented nuclear powered engines for their bigass flagships is beyond me.

thrawn527 posted:

This apparently takes place before the second fight with Kenobi.

uhm, I might be mistaken, but isn't Clone Wars the TV show not cannon anymore? Only Rebels is correct? Or was Darth Maul in Rebels? I've seen neither, but I know he's in Clone Wars and the story about his brother and him running a syndicate and all that poo poo with robot legs and fml so dumb.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

She's just a pretty bad actress.

lol @ the fuel thing. gotta try and make it seem like fuel was a thing because people got super mad at it in TLJ

Well those people are pretty loving dumb, so if this movie is made for them then I seriously might skip it. I was already thinking about it just because this story didn't need to be told at all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Clone Wars and Rebels are both canon, and Maul appears in both.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

The fuel stuff gets a bit Star Trek. Though, actually it also has a touch of Fury Road. Quite a few sections in this movie felt a bit Fury Road to be honest.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Are both clone wars cartoons canon or just the cgi one

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Are both clone wars cartoons canon or just the cgi one

Just the CGI one. I think the first one was semi-canon even in the old continuity.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Maul got fat.
https://giant.gfycat.com/CreamyBronzeGuanaco.webm

Compared to his skinny appearance in Rebels, when Obiwan kills him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wasn’t he a space hobo on the sith planet at the start of rebels? When does Solo take place?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I always assumed fuel was a thing in the star war. Theres always some mustached guy unhooking a big hose from the X-wings in ANH and R1 before they take off. My interpretation was it was supposed to be space gas.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

uh why does Maul look so loving weird and different in that screen cap. it’s the same loving actor and he hasn’t exactly aged a ton, the makeup looks substantially different. what the gently caress?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What a spooky man. I hope han solo will be ok

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it better when he was Spider Maul

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Well i just want to say I like the han shoots first moment at the end and they didn't even beat you head with it like hey everyone look han shot first!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The best thing about Solo is that I read a review dubbing it "a Wikipedia page committed to film" or similar, which is just fuckin' brutal.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Well i just want to say I like the han shoots first moment at the end and they didn't even beat you head with it like hey everyone look han shot first!!!

I also liked the "I know" moment. It felt organic.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Solo was alright, I didn’t feel like it was outstanding or anything but it was a pretty safe but solid film. Lots of cool little bits. Some pretty cliched moments

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I guess I shouldn't ever be surprised what dorks complain about in TLJ but for real "we need fuel" is a concept people don't like?

Also can anyone name a worse Actor/Actress then Emilia Clarke who has risen to prominence in the last 15 years? She is not and has never been good in anything, we're just kind of used to a stilted and weird dragon queen in GOT

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Also can anyone name a worse Actor/Actress then Emilia Clarke who has risen to prominence in the last 15 years? She is not and has never been good in anything, we're just kind of used to a stilted and weird dragon queen in GOT

Sam Worthington was the lead actor in the biggest movie of all time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hey, he was good in Sabotage. But that's about 80% costuming.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor Spaceman posted:

he was just bland and capable of fading into the background

clarke is just bad

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney are the real life version of every default Create-A-Character videogame slate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Calico Heart posted:

taylor lautner