Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i go to a theater to watch the trailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this on the other hand is crazy, Dark Souls has a free camera and fine-grained directional movement and that's exactly the kind of thing that benefits from a stick / mouse

internet kraken has claimed that he plays the game exclusively on the keyboard without a mouse though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cowcaster posted:

internet kraken has claimed that he plays the game exclusively on the keyboard without a mouse though

yes i know, that's what i'm responding to

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The best part of E3 is the trailers

The best part of a sunburn is peeling off the skin

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I always thought the trailer for Prince of Persia 2008 was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ilkAyDDvOs

This one is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZT6HIwoU4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
iirc, what happened with SK and Epic was that SK did license the Unreal engine and then when Too Human turned out so bad and Epic released GoW looking so good, SK sued Epic claiming that Epic had kept the best parts of the Unreal engine for themselves. SK got laughed out of court and Epic counter sued which resulted in the Unreal license getting pulled from SK and making them need to recall all the games they had made using it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

There was this one PS3 game that I remember nothing about except that the trailer was just a cutscene of...I wanna say it was a gas station and there was a shootout and some explosions, then partway in they just obviously edited in some crosshairs to try to make it look like this was gameplay footage but it was still just explosions and shootouts in a cutscene.

I don't think that game every actually came out. If it did, well, idk what it was even called so eh. Anybody know what game I'm thinking of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDOZvKWXDP4

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

speaking of trailers, anyone remember LMNO, the Spielberg alien woman project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT35UsSYqS8

It got cancelled by EA after a year but the funny thing was, a pre-Harvey Smith Arkane Studios was hours away from accepting a deal to work on it before they said no, in a kind of epic foresight.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Also good, I forgot about this one.

Also kill me how the gently caress has a decade passed since this trailer, I distinctly remember watching it back then and oh god I've wasted a third of my life.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hey i can make you feel better, i've wasted a whole 3 decades

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do what we all do, pretend that time enjoyed isn’t wasted

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Some days I legit go '2006 wasn't that long ago' and then I realize it was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I wasted my time then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Some days I legit go '2006 wasn't that long ago' and then I realize it was.

oblivion released a century ago

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

DLC Inc posted:

I owned every Nintendo system except Gamecube, but now I have a Gamecube with some games so I figured I'd play catchup. Right now I'm playing through Thousand Year Door, which is also my first paper Mario ever--I heard this one is the best one? Anyway I also have XMen Legends 2, Baiten Katos, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Caliber 2, and Bloody Roar--is there anything else worth playing that I can't play elsewhere?

Gotcha Force

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

The Colonel posted:

oblivion released a century ago

It's going to be the year 2020 in 17 months and I don't have a single flying car.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you weren't going to use that time productively anyway

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LawfulWaffle posted:

Gotcha Force
Good luck trying to find a copy that's not nearly $100. (I was drat lucky I got mine for $20 at GameStop years ago, its one of the most valuable games I own now.)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I never do anything productively, which is probably the bigger thing I should worry about.

Bird update: still stuck inside, still chirping away. If she's still here by Friday I'm going to have to set a bird trap up or something, I don't want the poor thing to starve to death (and also stink up the place)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We got a bird in our workplace a couple of days ago, the managers just called the exterminators :/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

oh i thought you were calling those who were calling kraken crazy, crazy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

We got a bird in our workplace a couple of days ago, the managers just called the exterminators :/

exterminate the managers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

time spent feeding the capitalist machine is time wasted almost by definition

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bahahahahaha yeah this was it. This fuckin thing, oh man, that poo poo is hilarious

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm shocked that was cancelled

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I'm shocked that was cancelled

Wikipedia posted:

On 4 June 2008 Sony Computer Entertainment announced that Eight Days, along with The Getaway, had been cancelled.[9] Sony released a statement on the cancellation: "This decision was made following an internal review of all games and it was deemed that with the incredibly strong list of exclusive first party titles coming up both this year and in the near future, resource should be reallocated to enhance those projects closer to completion".[9] Two weeks after the cancellation of Eight Days, President of Sony Computer Entertainment, Shuhei Yoshida, stated that the lack of an online mode in Eight Days was "part of the consideration" to cancel the game.[10] He also stated that the cancellation of Eight Days was not because it was not failing in production, but because Sony is increasingly moving towards online-supported games, and Eight Days did not fit that overall strategy.[10] However, on October 2009, it was confirmed that the game had not been cancelled, but merely put 'on hold'.[11] The game was implied to have been cancelled according to an Ex-developer of London Studio, but he also says that Eight Days was still in the pre-production phase at the time and hadn't reached full production.[12]

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't think any game company has ever gotten owned quite as badly as SK did by Epic. The only thing close I can think of is EA just absolutely crushing that patent troll that had been suing every game that used the word "Edge" in their title for years.

he's a priest now

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
people in the olden days played doom and quake with keyboard and those are way faster games than dark souls

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What is a valuable use of time

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you want the capitalist answer, the elitist answer, or the nihilist answer?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I want all the answers

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Help Im Alive posted:

chumbler posted:

Do you want the capitalist answer, the elitist answer, or the nihilist answer?

Help Im Alive posted:

I want all the answers

Playing video games

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
classic Runescape is shutting down, RIP my childhood

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

people in the olden days played doom and quake with keyboard and those are way faster games than dark souls

The creators of those games also intended you to play them with a mouse and keyboard. Mouse and keyboard in Dark Souls works, but I can't imagine it ever being the design team's intended input device. At least not until Dark Souls 2 when the PC version was being developed simultaneously.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dark Souls on keyboard and mouse is a trade-off, you lose a little bit of fine control over e.g. roll direction and so on but on the other hand it's a million times better for aiming ranged weapons and quick-swapping rings.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

playing doom and quake with just a keyboard is even more miserable than playing dark souls that way

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dark Souls on keyboard and mouse is a trade-off, you lose a little bit of fine control over e.g. roll direction and so on but on the other hand it's a million times better for aiming ranged weapons and quick-swapping rings.

ranged weapons are more for cheesing stuff than for actual combat purposes though, you rarely ever need to do quick precision aiming and any situation where you'd be using aiming for combat you're going to be locked on probably

it's a good argument for dragon's dogma cause at least in that bows are meant for crazy action stuff and you could arguably need to aim quickly with them, plus dd gives you a lot of keyboard shortcuts for stuff like toggling the lantern, but none of this really applies to ds

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 23, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DisDisDis posted:

no they didn't

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

ranged weapons are more for cheesing stuff than for actual combat purposes though, you rarely ever need to do quick precision aiming and any situation where you'd be using aiming for combat you're going to be locked on probably

I use them in PvP fairly often.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

no they didn't
yeah, we used gravis gamepads instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This reminds me: didn't the original Wolfenstein 3D have a weird-rear end mouse-based control scheme where you could move forward and backward by moving your mouse forward and backward? I remember my dad playing that game and just slamming the mouse forward over and over to move around. Maybe I'm making that up because it seems extremely uncomfortable but it's a very clear memory.

• Locked thread