Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lurdiak posted:

Like apparently doing "Rocky but for wrestling" just isn't possible, even though everyone would go see that if it was done well.

Please don’t talk ill about ‘No Holds Barred’, which definitely wasn’t written in a hotel during a 2 day coke binge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please don’t talk ill about ‘No Holds Barred’, which definitely wasn’t written in a hotel during a 2 day coke binge.

THAT WAS REALITY IT BROUGHT US ZEUS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

TEENY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When watching old MST3Ks, do you skip the host segments

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

no i just watch them at 1.5x speed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Remember when they did that weird poo poo with Mike in old man makeup introducing old episodes?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Also wrestling is loving stupid.

It's so odd watching you poo poo talk wrestling in all these posts when all I can see when I look at your Av is an animated John Cena

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

let's check in on how Roseanne is doing in it's season finale!

quote:

In the final scenes of the Roseanne revival’s first season, the Conner house floods. A massive rainstorm hits much of Illinois, and in the midst of a family crisis about how to pay for Roseanne’s knee surgery and whether Dan should hire undocumented workers, they realize their house has sustained thousands of dollars of water damage. Dan wades through the knee-deep water, trying to convince Roseanne that everything will be okay — trying and failing, that is, because they both know there’s no way out. He sends her upstairs to reassure the rest of the family, and they give each other a look that says they both know it’s a lie. There will be no money for Roseanne’s knee. Dan has ruined his friendship with his long-time union partner, and simultaneously given up on his principles, all to maintain an already disastrous status quo.

It’s exactly the kind of painful, inescapable hole Roseanne described in the beginning of the season when she explained to her sister Jackie why she voted for Donald Trump. Things were really, really bad, and Trump promised to make things better. “He talked about jobs!” Roseanne says. And he did it in a way that resonated with Roseanne’s beliefs about government, budgeting, and handouts. She mocked Jackie for supporting the Affordable Care Act, which she implied was a terrible idea because the government could never pay for it. “You’re a good-hearted person who can’t do simple math,” she told Jackie.

For a moment in the finale, it seems as though the Roseanne will swerve into the skid, shifting gears from its frustratingly shallow approach to politics and finally connect Roseanne’s political jibes with some meaningful real-world implications. Yes, the setup for the Conner’s rock-and-a-hard-place catastrophe is concerning: It’s presented as Dan’s choice between sticking with his union partner and not having money for Roseanne’s surgery, or hiring undocumented workers so he can get Roseanne’s knee fixed. The not-so-buried implication is that the existence of illegal immigration makes things worse for the Conners. But the decision Dan is poised to make still has the potential to be frustrating and tragic in an illuminating way. He’s betraying his ideals and giving into economic pressure to hire cheaper labor so he can save his family. It could be a story about sadness and sacrifice, and the very hard, inescapable choices families have to make to survive.

wow, maybe we took Roseanne Barr's ability to make a show dealing with real issues that working class people will relate to in a way that isn't pandering or stupid. That's pretty co-

quote:

Instead, the widespread flooding across the state pushes Roseanne’s imagined President Trump to declare a federal emergency. Roseanne and the Conners immediately start celebrating because this means they’ll get “FEMA money.” Dan tells them that he’ll be able to fix up the basement himself with the government funds, meaning it’ll cost them less, and they can use the remainder to pay for Roseanne’s knee surgery. Their problems are solved, and the season ends with everyone joyously gathered around the dinner table. The Conners get an unlikely fairy-tale ending.

oh alright then

i hope every single person still without power in Puerto Rico sends Roseanne a letter that just says "GO gently caress YOURSELF YOU AWFUL WOMAN"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DC Murderverse posted:

“FEMA money”

Goddamn

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Remember when they did that weird poo poo with Mike in old man makeup introducing old episodes?

The "Mystery Science Theater Hour" which I believe was an attempt by Comedy Central to make the show syndication friendly since they were just an hour long (and half an episode.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just don't understand people who love MST3K but who hate the host segments. It's like saying "I love horror hosts but hate their lame sketches." The lame sketches are the main appeal. Without them it's just watching an audio commentary by some faceless snarky guys.

MST3K is a straight-up horror host show but swapping genres for sci-fi. Are the segments always funny? No. That's not the point. They're always incredibly charming, and their poorly thought out or poorly executed nature is a big part of the draw, as is their characterizations.

So, of course, the Joel episodes are much better because they're not trying nearly as hard.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 23, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sorry to tell you but people like MST3K for the snarky commentary, not the lame sketches.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The host segments are usually great especially in the later seasons

The host segments are kind of like extremely short episodes of a wacky sitcom about a guy who lives with robots

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DC Murderverse posted:

let's check in on how Roseanne is doing in it's season finale!

wow, maybe we took Roseanne Barr's ability to make a show dealing with real issues that working class people will relate to in a way that isn't pandering or stupid. That's pretty co-

oh alright then

i hope every single person still without power in Puerto Rico sends Roseanne a letter that just says "GO gently caress YOURSELF YOU AWFUL WOMAN"

This is a meta-commentary on how if a natural disaster happens to white people the government falls all over itself to help but when the victims are POC they don't give a poo poo, right, that's what this was going for, right?

No I know that's not it. I feel like a lot more could be said about the Roseanne revival and what all its weird mixed messages and Roseanne seemingly getting right up to The Point then just taking a hard turn into delusion.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Sorry to tell you but people like MST3K for the snarky commentary, not the lame sketches.

I love both tbh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The invention exchange is *prop comedy* people! Joel was a prop comic!

There's only one sketch I won't skip and it's the The United Servo Academy Men's Chorus Hymn, directed by Thomas "Bullhead" Servo

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Zaphod42 posted:

I just saw the trailer for Reverie and this is extremely my poo poo. I hope they don't gently caress it up.

Thanks for bringing it up, I was just coming here to ask about a show and this was it. A coworker who is a huge Magicians fan was going nuts trying to remember a commercial for a new show she saw about a woman who "goes some place like Fillory to try to bring back people who are stuck there".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bagrada posted:

Thanks for bringing it up, I was just coming here to ask about a show and this was it. A coworker who is a huge Magicians fan was going nuts trying to remember a commercial for a new show she saw about a woman who "goes some place like Fillory to try to bring back people who are stuck there".

Its not Fillory though, its The Matrix.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zaphod42 posted:

It's San Junipero.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zaphod42 posted:

Filory is just not-Narnia anyhow, unless they changed the tv show a ton.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bobjinx/status/999318438832234496

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

Filory is just not-Narnia anyhow, unless they changed the tv show a ton.

Nah its straight Narnia even in the show.

Lycus posted:

It's San Junipero.

Correct, but San Junipero is basically The Matrix.

I also wrote a short story in high school about a guy who entered the virtual worlds that comatose patients were living inside of in order to help them return to reality, which is basically exactly what this sounds like.

Course its also Vanilla sky and Existenz and Total Recall and The Thirteenth Floor and bunch of other sci-fi poo poo too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Penny Arcade made a comic about zoux

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a real honor

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah its straight Narnia even in the show.

Correct, but San Junipero is basically The Matrix.

I also wrote a short story in high school about a guy who entered the virtual worlds that comatose patients were living inside of in order to help them return to reality, which is basically exactly what this sounds like.

Course its also Vanilla sky and Existenz and Total Recall and The Thirteenth Floor and bunch of other sci-fi poo poo too.

It wasn't a virtual world, but in the 90's there was a Canadian show about how all these kids in comas lived in a collective fantasy world that I remember being enjoyable.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Iron Crowned posted:

It wasn't a virtual world, but in the '90s there was a Canadian show about how all these kids in comas lived in a collective fantasy world that I remember being enjoyable.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103504/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That's the one

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah grimes is an insanely loving awful person, always has been, and this situation should be surprising to literally nobody

she's, in a nutshell, why manufactured pop stars are the loving worst

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How is Grimes a manufactured pop star? She produces all her own albums.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

How is Grimes a manufactured pop star

She was made in a factory

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Grimes is a robot, sorry to disappoint you

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i should note that when i say "manufactured," i'm not really talking about the same techniques that produced poo poo like The Monkees, even if it's being done to the same end.

but did you ever notice that she completely blew the gently caress up out of nowhere when Visions came out, with literally every music critic lining up to say she's the New Hot poo poo and her suddenly appearing on movie soundtracks and doing music for Girls and touring with Diplo and Skrillex and etc?

does that honestly strike you as a coincidence, or does it strike you as a whole lot of money getting thrown around to make Grimes the New Hot poo poo? because it seems pretty loving obvious to me that it's the latter. people blow up naturally, but they don't blow up naturally that goddamn fast, and when someone blows up that fast you should be suspecting shenanigans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh it's a conspiracy theory

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She's been doing this for a long time. It doesn't surprise me that she blows up when her latest album is more conventional pop.

Her first album, Geidi Primes, came out over 8 years ago.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Isn't "seemingly coming out of nowhere" kind of how the whole pop sensation thing works like 99.9% of the time? I don't see why this needs to be .a weird conspiracy theory by the illuminati to clone Elon Musk a girlfriend.

And it's quite easy to still have no idea who she is other than that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't know who she was until yesterday.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had literally never heard of Grimes until the news she was dating Musk broke.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:same:

I just kinda feel like if an artist I've never heard of is suddenly everywhere that they're really popular with teenagers :shrug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Can I call her "Grimey"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just like to imagine that she's Frank Grimes