Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
at this point I'm too far into Cipher/Ranger to really back down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lean on the ranger then.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

chaosapiant posted:

What is so good about Frost Seeker? The base damage was like 7-9 or some weird/low crap.

3 projectiles that can each trigger "on-crit" effects

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I’m really enjoying this nature godlike Nalpazca & vanilla Barb character I have. Beats the piss out of everything that it stands next to.

Next run will be a ranged Bleakwalker & ghost heart with a variant of the ‘everything bad’ history. Equally as excited for this build, and it will be hard to not make it another nature godlike for their racial, but thematically it should be a death godlike, I think.

Rope kid thank you for all you’re doing and posting. Keep up the great work!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
what's a good class option for the matched gun/saber unique pair? I feel like that's the only proper weapon for a principi run.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you want to go gun/sabre for optimal pirateness, then the only possible class option is Swashbuckler(Fighter|Rogue).

Fortunately, Swashbuckler is awesome. It tanks like a fighter while doing more damage than a rogue.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Frostseeker is the best Cipher weapon since I can go from 0 to 100+ Focus in one good shot. It also looks dope as hell.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Like an on-demand and unlimited bouncy wizard missiles.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You get some nice niche armor if you kill both the feuding families in Queens Berth. +2 power level electric attacks with the ability to cast relentless storm and the other is deflection gained from intimidate.

Already foresee doing a druid fury tank just to use the armor.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 23, 2018

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I just beat Yseyr and I thought he was supposed to be guarding some amazing magic sword that he took from Rivan? All I got from him was his flail. Am I dumb?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

johnny park posted:

I just beat Yseyr and I thought he was supposed to be guarding some amazing magic sword that he took from Rivan? All I got from him was his flail. Am I dumb?

The sword is a quest item. And you won't be able to use it until later in the quest line.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Cipher :words:

ProfessorCirno posted:

My argument against "Ciphers are fine" is that the most popular Cipher build overwhelmingly is a Soul Blade / Anything Else multiclass that proceeds to use absolutely none of the Cipher powers. It's also, incidentally, incredibly dull mechanically.
Popularity is not an argument and if it was it could just as well mean that all Ciphers are actually extremely good but Soul Blades are even better than the rest.

quote:

Cipher's got three main problems as I see it. First, as has been mentioned, a LOT of their powers are mediocre at best, and they have much fewer powers then the other spellcasters, meaning almost all Cipher builds are going to be using the same poo poo forever (contrast with the general wealth of wizard builds).
I agree that it's a problem but that's almost every class in the game right now. I'd only exclude Wizards and maybe Druids, and Druids at least have some dud Power Levels. Chanters potentially but they are limited by how few abilities they actually get to pick.
It's also PoE1 Ciphers and I don't think they're really struggling all that badly.

quote:

Two, focus is a slow build, which is fine in Pillars 1 when the flipside is that you don't have to worry about resting to use them, but in Pillars 2, when that's no longer a fact, you now have a build up into, well, the aforementioned mediocrity.
I've never had an issue with Focus being slow to build. Not in the beta and not in the full game. Even when I was overleveled and crushing everything Serafen still built enough Focus to throw some actives around.

quote:

But there's a third problem (at least in my opinion), which is that cipher natively needs to make weapon attacks, and then proceeds to have nothing related to weapon attacks. Outside of Soul Blade, there's no active Cipher abilities even remotely connected to being in melee. Their defenses are the absolute pits, and unlike wizards, they have no immediate buffs then can fire to take care of that. It's a weapons class that vaguely punishes you for using weapons.
Ciphers have a lot of passives for that. They also have Psychovampiric Shield, Borrowed Instinct, Body Attunement and I guess Wild Leech technically exists as well.
Also, if buffing the Cipher was the primary role of their actives, how would you design/balance it considering potential issues like escalating Focus gain rates etc.? Would Ciphers just start out extremely lovely and then progressively buff themselves? Then they'd possibly never get to do anything but cast more and more buffs. Which I'm not sure would be desirable to you considering you're saying Soul Blade is boring.

quote:

To put it another way, focus is all stick, no carrot. BUILDING focus isn't cool, or fun, or interesting - it's literally just auto-attacking until you get to have fun. And then it's not all that fun, because your powers are real boring compared to everyone else. I get that Cipher is meant to be the cool subtle psionic, but you have to spend time vaguely watching the screen before you can do that, which isn't "subtle" in the slightest. So I guess I've turned on them having a decent chassis that just needs better powers - unless those powers include things to make focus building interesting, it's still not going to fix ciphers being dull.
So which class is cool, then? The one that you need to watch get punched to punch back a little better? The one that has a cooldown system dressed up as singing? Or the ones without resource systems?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wizard Styles posted:

I agree that it's a problem but that's almost every class in the game right now. I'd only exclude Wizards and maybe Druids, and Druids at least have some dud Power Levels. Chanters potentially but they are limited by how few abilities they actually get to pick.
It's also PoE1 Ciphers and I don't think they're really struggling all that badly.

What's funny is that wizards are gonna pick the best spells (usually just the damage ones) and just use those exclusively anyways, so they're also doing basically the same thing every engagement.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

jokes posted:

What's funny is that wizards are gonna pick the best spells (usually just the damage ones) and just use those exclusively anyways, so they're also doing basically the same thing every engagement.
Yeah, pretty much. I do think Wizards and Druids have more viable choices than other classes, though.
They also just have more actives to choose from than almost every other class, of course, and since ability balancing just hasn't really happened yet it's kinda not that surprising that they end up enjoying a greater variety of good options.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 23, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay I think I'm just not going to do any non-RDC faction quests for the rest of this playthrough so I can experience them all fresh when I go with the other routes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jokes posted:

Eh, this isn't really true. My wizards do a lot of different stuff depending on scripting. I have them set to use the nukes on enemy casters and then use their debuffs to counter whatever buffs the hostiles have up, so it all depends. Plus I swap out grimoires a fair bit and that changes what they have available.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

johnny park posted:

It's a pretty solid Estoc if that's your deal, it has some interesting upgrades. Like by default it hungers FOR SOULS so you take a penalty to Might, Constitution and Dexterity of 1. Kill something and it jumps to a bonus. You can upgrade that to either be a flat 1 bonus no question, or a 3 penalty that changes to a 3 bonus after you kill something. Most fights have *something* you can instantly blow up to get the bonus. It can also do 20% Raw, which is nice on a big two-hander. And as a bonus it also casts Ghost Blades when you kill something, just for a little flash. Really the only downside is you are going to get it pretty late in most plays. Hey, it comes with a free ghost ship though. That's always nice.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

chaosapiant posted:

What is so good about Frost Seeker? The base damage was like 7-9 or some weird/low crap.

It fires multiple projectiles that explode and deal Frost Damage in an area when you crit something with them. Accuracy for each projectile is rolled independently, so you can wind up with three frost explosions in a single attack. Things get even worse when you add in the Ranger's Driving Flight because the bounce projectiles are still completely eligible for that explosion effect, meaning you can get up to six frost explosions from one shot. And of course because Frostseeker is a Bow instead of something reasonable like a Blunderbuss, it has a middling-high Attack Speed, so these frost explosions are going to be happening constantly if you've got high accuracy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Devil of Caroc is just a armor piece now, poor devil.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

snoremac posted:

I never realized ‘til now the usefulness of spamming all your summons at once to swarm an enemy. Even if they’re weak they’re at least absorbing blows meant for you.

That's how I beat my first ship boardings when there's like 25 people to fight. Summons are great, I give everybody at least one just in case.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

DoC will always be close to my heart because that armor has really good stats and imma wear her corpse

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Is this: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2 the mod people were recommending for turning on level scaling post starting a game/changing around talents on your various companions? Searched back in the thread some but wasn't sure if this one was correct.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tenzarin posted:

I'm sure she would be proud a Bleak Walker would use her like that to murder a lot of people

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm glad the game eventually stops her jabbering during combat. It's amusing at first but it's a relief not to hear it every fight.

I just leveled her up completely and did not once notice she spoke at all!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Has anyone found godlike crewmembers? I'm seeing at least two in the wiki and I'm curious where they show up.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Kith posted:

It fires multiple projectiles that explode and deal Frost Damage in an area when you crit something with them. Accuracy for each projectile is rolled independently, so you can wind up with three frost explosions in a single attack. Things get even worse when you add in the Ranger's Driving Flight because the bounce projectiles are still completely eligible for that explosion effect, meaning you can get up to six frost explosions from one shot. And of course because Frostseeker is a Bow instead of something reasonable like a Blunderbuss, it has a middling-high Attack Speed, so these frost explosions are going to be happening constantly if you've got high accuracy.

If you really want to break the poo poo out of Frostseeker, or any multihit weapon: Swift Flurry. A Monk/Ranger wielding Frostseeker with Swift Flurry + Accurate Wounding Shot or Stunning Surge + Driving Flight is one of the most broken things you can currently do in a game full of very broken things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
God drat I can't stop laughing at Concelhaut hanging out with all my cats, pigs, etc in my menagerie on the ship. He's floating around over there right now bitching about the quality of my mead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cheston posted:

Has anyone found godlike crewmembers? I'm seeing at least two in the wiki and I'm curious where they show up.

One thing I haven't seen is a list of the crewmembers you can recruit through interactions other than just hiring them in the supply window.

1) Chitupec of course
2) the cannibal island cook guy
3) the cannoneer lady in Brass Citadel
4) the ogre in the kitchen in the gullet inn
5) the xaurip from the xaurip island
6) oathbinder's sanctum dude

who else?

I kinda want to hire more orlans.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cheston posted:

One of them is the Death Godlike slave that's being auctioned off in Crookspur Island, if you pick the Cruel option after you save him, or buy him you can say "yes, you're my slave, now get on the ship and get to working". There's also a Benevolent option but I don't know if you get him if you pick that

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I don't know if this is a Linux build-specific bug, but I can't see how to leave Crookspur by foot to reach the locations at the top of the island, not accessible by the landing at the bottom, is there a quest-related requirement?

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Is there any unique dialog with the gods if you're a godlike?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ginette Reno posted:

God drat I can't stop laughing at Concelhaut hanging out with all my cats, pigs, etc in my menagerie on the ship. He's floating around over there right now bitching about the quality of my mead.

Isn’t it the best :allears:

I hope we keep trashing him in every Pillars game. I found an uncharted island with a Lich on it and names the island Concelnot.

I live to spite this idiot Lich

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Khanstant posted:

I just leveled her up completely and did not once notice she spoke at all!

She cackles and says things in an erotic tone of voice like "that's it, just like that!" It was pretty prominent for me - whole fights could go by with her not pausing. It got old quickly.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I haven't seen is a list of the crewmembers you can recruit through interactions other than just hiring them in the supply window.

1) Chitupec of course

who else?

Worthless Idiot and that dude in Port Maje's prison comes to mind.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Most my crew die to my actions as a captain and failed mutiny attempts.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

frajaq posted:

One of them is the Death Godlike slave that's being auctioned off in Crookspur Island, if you pick the Cruel option after you save him, or buy him you can say "yes, you're my slave, now get on the ship and get to working". There's also a Benevolent option but I don't know if you get him if you pick that

Benevolent let's you either direct him towards capitol city's Berath temple or join your crew as a paid member.;

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Isn’t it the best :allears:

I hope we keep trashing him in every Pillars game. I found an uncharted island with a Lich on it and names the island Concelnot.

I live to spite this idiot Lich

I can't decide if I want him to a party member if there's a Poe3 or if I wanna spite him again somehow.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

frajaq posted:

The Benevolent option has a thing where you can hire him as a regular crewmember.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

1) Chitupec of course

who else?

The zombie at the shattered reef who helps you can be recruited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gently caress off Batman posted:

Worthless Idiot and that dude in Port Maje's prison comes to mind.

The dwarf on Tikiwara if you end the quest in a non-favorable way to the VTC