Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
So what’s the state of encrypted messaging these days, then? Is there anything trustworthy anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

personally I use Something Awful Forums Private Messages for all my secure communication needs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

personally I use Something Awful Forums Private Messages for all my secure communication needs

the old security through obscurity and outdated and gay technology

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Wasn’t there something about al-qaeda or some other group communicating using comments on google drive files going undetected for years?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

andrew smash posted:

Wasn’t there something about al-qaeda or some other group communicating using comments on google drive files going undetected for years?

I thought it was draft's in gmail.

Like, write the message but don't send it. Then the person you're communicating with logs in to the same account, writes a response.

Both things have probably happened.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

So what’s the state of encrypted messaging these days, then? Is there anything trustworthy anymore?

Signal's mobile clients are still okay. It's just the desktop clients you want to avoid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ozymandOS posted:

Signal's mobile clients are still okay. It's just the desktop clients you want to avoid.

This is correct. I only ever use the phone client. If secure communication is the goal, I’ve never understood having multiple clients attached to the same account.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

The Fool posted:

Both things have probably happened.
Indeed, to great scandal. Ask David Petraeus how being Director of the CIA is working out for him.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Proteus Jones posted:

This is correct. I only ever use the phone client. If secure communication is the goal, I’ve never understood having multiple clients attached to the same account.

I haven't used their new desktop client, but iirc the old chrome-extension one required the phone to be up and running, and your desktop talked securely to your phone, which then talked securely to the other party as normal.

I once had to find a fallback app when Signal wasn't an option (the other party had a bricked phone). After about five minutes of research I landed on Wickr, for which you don't need a working phone number, so you can it going on a tablet or something, even for voice calls. I'm not 100% certain if their security is up to snuff (recall the total five minutes of research this choice was based on), but we weren't actually discussing national security level secrets, so hey.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/tqbf/status/997645099323424769

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Was the PoC using Spectre variant 1 to get information out of x86 SMM mode ever linked?

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

PBS posted:

Anyone used Phantom, Swimlane, or some other security automation tool?

Trying to sign up for the phantom community edition, but they're insisting on me providing my work address, which I'm not looking to do.

Had a decent play with Phantom before they were acquired by Splunk and it was amazing for automating stuff out of our SIEM. To be honest I didn't get alot of spam from them, dunno if Splunk are spammy or not.

However we never got past the play/evaluation stage as the pricing was horrendously expensive. Splunk have mentioned the pricing moving to a per Casebook from a per Action model but I'm not confident that it'll be reasonable.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I really, really like Phantom, it’s pretty amazing. I hope Splunk doesn’t gently caress it up.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Martytoof posted:

Phyeah, I learned this the hard way.

I loving loathe QRadar.

Our senior recently left and our Qradar implementation is up for review/renewal and I am building my case to sink this fucker and move to Splunk. I am right there with you on loathing Qradar.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I hope you have a gigantic wheelbarrow of money.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I hope you have a gigantic wheelbarrow of money.

I've got 2 things going for me:
1. C's are scared and ready to listen from the good book of security because two different companies we work with got hacked recently so the checkbook is open. One got hit by ransomware so bad they had to slash and burn their entire IT infrastructure. Not having backups must be a bitch.
2. Qradar is stupid expensive, so after doing the sizing with Splunk and checking numbers we are actually going to be saving some money in the long run I just gotta get them to buy in for the initial spend.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 21, 2018

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Splunk may be expensive as hell but it beats the poo poo out of maintaining ArcSight. I'll be so happy when I can finally offline the rest of our logger boxes and never gently caress with another connector again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Diametunim posted:

Splunk...never gently caress with another connector again.

They're called add-ons

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Splunk has its own share of bullshit. It's all an exercise in determining which technology is going to annoy you most on any given day.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
I really extremely like Splunk (and to lesser extents, ELK / Graylog). But whatever you do, do not loving get the the Cloud offering. Do not let finance shout you down about capex vs opex. Get on prem if you value sanity, and quick turn arounds on support tickets.

It absolutely has its cons, but i'll take it over the other two things i've used:
McAfee (was powerful, just an absolute pain in the rear end to do anything.)
InsightIDR (not even a SEIM, just marketed as one. It was much better as UserInsight if you had a completely different SEIM system)

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

McAfee has a siem? Oh my god I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 foot pole

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

geonetix posted:

McAfee has a siem? Oh my god I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 foot pole

I was once forced to use McAfee Vulnerability Scanner aka Foundstone at a job. I hated that poo poo with a passion. I was not when it was disconnected.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Martytoof posted:

Splunk has its own share of bullshit. It's all an exercise in determining which technology is going to annoy you most on any given day.

After all the Qradar bullshit I am ready for a different flavor, and thankfully our new Senior has worked with it for close to a decade so he will be doing all the heavy lifting and dashboard creation.

Jowj posted:

I really extremely like Splunk (and to lesser extents, ELK / Graylog). But whatever you do, do not loving get the the Cloud offering. Do not let finance shout you down about capex vs opex. Get on prem if you value sanity, and quick turn arounds on support tickets.

Whew, good to know we're going the right direction with on prem.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

since this thread is now discussing monitoring, I was wondering if there was anything good to recommend for monitoring websites in AWS. Not looking for anything intensive, just something that will let me see usage trends(and if I need to enlarge the instance size) and maybe alert me to potential compromises. No more than 20-30 systems hosting sites unless someone is getting so much traffic I need to set them up for autoscaling instead of just increasing instance size.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What do you want that cloudwatch doesn't give you? Cloudwatch isn't that in depth, but I you have it already. My next go to suggestion is datadog.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Guy Axlerod posted:

What do you want that cloudwatch doesn't give you? Cloudwatch isn't that in depth, but I you have it already. My next go to suggestion is datadog.

I've actually not looked into cloudwatch, tbh. :v: I'm having trouble believing that Amazon is providing every solution i need with no effort so just keep ignoring their offerings

time to go read up on it, thanks

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I recommend outsourcing your monitoring to an incompetent MSSP and just assuming everything is okay.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Martytoof posted:

I recommend outsourcing your monitoring to an incompetent MSSP and just assuming everything is okay.

I run a reputable company here, not a F500

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I've actually not looked into cloudwatch, tbh. :v: I'm having trouble believing that Amazon is providing every solution i need with no effort so just keep ignoring their offerings

time to go read up on it, thanks

The graphs you get on the EC2 console are basically what you'll get out of cloudwatch out of the box.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I run a reputable company here, not a F500

Someone's not living on the edge :clint:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 23, 2018

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Speaking of incompetent MSSPs and the SIEMs they run, thoughts on AlienVault?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Speaking of incompetent MSSPs and the SIEMs they run, thoughts on AlienVault?

I have thoughts on AlienVault

None of them are good

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
If you were designing your own password manager from the ground up, what would be your most critical feature(s)?

My company has an annual program where you/your team can take a week to work on any project your heart desires, so long as you present the project at the end. One of my security developer colleagues wants to write a password manager for said project and the more input the better, naturally. I've already given my list, but I would appreciate any useful, professional opinions and I will deliver them as community input -- via PM if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

Yes, I know this largely goes against the very name of the thread, but there would be a proper SDLC review team if it looks promising enough to take out of incubation.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled QRadar grousing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

keseph posted:

If you were designing your own password manager from the ground up, what would be your most critical feature(s)?

My company has an annual program where you/your team can take a week to work on any project your heart desires, so long as you present the project at the end. One of my security developer colleagues wants to write a password manager for said project and the more input the better, naturally. I've already given my list, but I would appreciate any useful, professional opinions and I will deliver them as community input -- via PM if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

Yes, I know this largely goes against the very name of the thread, but there would be a proper SDLC review team if it looks promising enough to take out of incubation.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled QRadar grousing.

don't roll your own crypto

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
So got something I could use some sanity checking on, On a scale of 1 to Equifax how bad is this situation:

An application vendor is demanding that Octopus deployment system "Tentcle" is installed on our client's server, It's set up in listening mode on its default port and uses a cert to verify the vendor before giving it LocalSystem access, The cert that it uses to verify is SHA1 based, Valid for 100 years and is self-issued, It's also only using the thumbprint of the cert, not any full CA chain etc.

They want this so they can auto-update their software remotely rather than gaining supervised access from our helpdesk, I'm primarily concerned about handing over LocalSystem level access on a PDC to a remote party using authentication that I feel is pretty dicy being SHA1 only and the version of the Octopus software is nearly 1 year behind current. I think the level of access and autonomy is overkill for the reason they want it but i'm getting considerable pressure to just sign off on it to make the issue go away

edit:// This is all taking place over the internet too not a vpn link etc etc

Beccara fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 23, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The application vendor should at least be able to give you an IP range of their office locations that they might be connecting from so you can ensure the service isn't listening to the world - you have no guarantees that the authentication is implemented in a sane way and you don't want your logs filled up with random noise.

What environment are they auto-updating? I'd be less concerned about some stuff running relatively isolated from the rest of the network than I would be if the deployment system had the ability to nuke and pave an unrelated critical service.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

The application vendor should at least be able to give you an IP range of their office locations that they might be connecting from so you can ensure the service isn't listening to the world - you have no guarantees that the authentication is implemented in a sane way and you don't want your logs filled up with random noise.

What environment are they auto-updating? I'd be less concerned about some stuff running relatively isolated from the rest of the network than I would be if the deployment system had the ability to nuke and pave an unrelated critical service.

Even with an IP lock, The vendor would have powershell ability via Octopus with LocalSystem privileges on a AD PDC. They could remove applications, take data out of our environment, delete files etc etc without any real trace, All without us knowing they even did anything :/ We're effectively handing over the same level of access we have to a vendor

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think that you would worry about it literally every day, and your heart knows what that means. You deserve better.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Beccara posted:

Even with an IP lock, The vendor would have powershell ability via Octopus with LocalSystem privileges on a AD PDC. They could remove applications, take data out of our environment, delete files etc etc without any real trace, All without us knowing they even did anything :/ We're effectively handing over the same level of access we have to a vendor

I mean, you shouldn't even have level of access. Even if you can do the things, audit logs should be getting generated and getting sent to a log server so that there is always record of who did the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah definitely not on a domain controller. I can't imagine your clients obligations to their customers/suppliers regarding data protection can be met with that sort of unrestricted 3rd-party access either.