Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
How many chars do you guys routinely level up? Should I stick with a core of 3 to 5 if I want to rip through as much content as fast as possible (those adventure maps holy poo poo) or is it worth leveling up more dudes?

Also any downsides to leveling up dudes with rupees? Seems like an awesome way to remove all tedium, anything to know about this mechanic?

I've only played two story missions and two adventure map levels but wow I think I like this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

KingSlime posted:

How many chars do you guys routinely level up? Should I stick with a core of 3 to 5 if I want to rip through as much content as fast as possible (those adventure maps holy poo poo) or is it worth leveling up more dudes?

Also any downsides to leveling up dudes with rupees? Seems like an awesome way to remove all tedium, anything to know about this mechanic?

I've only played two story missions and two adventure map levels but wow I think I like this game.

I regularly lead the charge with Zelda being my highest level, and I just use the training dojo to level anyone I feel like using to be around 6-10 levels lower than her. There's no downside, and you get more rupees than you will probably ever need just by playing the game and selling excess weapons you don't plan on fusing

To actually answer the question, Zelda, Link, Ganondorf, Toon Zelda, Tetra, and whenever I feel like someone else I'll level them up to match

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bongo Bill posted:

Keep the button held down after you do a combo that ends with X, and she'll charge up the bomb arrows.

Edit: am I the only one that went with the "Zelda" control scheme where the button layout is rotated so it's B for basic attacks and Y for finishers, instead of Y and X?

This was my first Warriors type game so for the Wii U and 3DS version I used the Zelda control scheme. Since then I've also played FEW, which obviously defaults to the "Warriors" control scheme. It felt like too much of a pain to swap the buttons around so I just got used to Y for regular attack, X for strong, B for dodge, etc.

Then for the Switch version I just kept it. It didn't take that long to adjust.

Oxyclean posted:

Probably not but it sounds like a lot of people went with the warriors setup. I chose it because I assumed it'd be better tailored.

For what it's worth I've seen some people use combo nomenclature that's button type neutral. Cx where I think x is the number of lights before a strong. C1 would be "YX" on warriors control, C2, YYX, etc.

That's the nomenclature but I can never remember which combo is which.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

KingSlime posted:

For adventure maps specifically just stick with a handful of dudes you like, but always have a good stock of rupee's nearby because you'll sometimes get gated into using a character you're not used to like Agitha or Tingle or something and when that happens you're going to want to buff them up to not be level 7-10 in level 30 areas.

For Legends mode you'll have:
Link - Impa - Midna - Darunia - Lana as your heroes that get used a lot. (Fi sometimes shows up too but it's rare).
Ganondorf gets most of his levels to himself.
Cia's story uses all 3 of that crew.
Linkle is obvious
Wind Waker story uses it's main cast of Link - Tetra - Daphnes - Lana (Cia stands around a lot but it's the AI version that has a set amount of health)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Where is the ball and chain in adventure mode?

I want to use that as link for as long as I can because it was my favorite Link weapon.

Unrelated I'm seeing how far I can get in the first map without getting anything but Bombs. It's a fun restriction. I've gotten Skull Kid and the Naginata so far!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Playing through Legend mode again and the ability to switch between characters mid-mission owns. I missed out on that due to skipping the 3DS version.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Playing through Legend mode again and the ability to switch between characters mid-mission owns. I missed out on that due to skipping the 3DS version.

This plus the owl statues make the game so much better.

I mean, I still stress out like mad when playing this game but oh god it was so much worse in the Wii U version when you had to run across the entire map all the time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your Computer posted:

I mean, I still stress out like mad when playing this game but oh god it was so much worse in the Wii U version when you had to run across the entire map all the time.

I still find myself doing it then get happy when I remember about those mechanics.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Your Computer posted:

Sadly not all maps have owl statues.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I input the game in a bad state. I reran the first campaign map, and it says to capture two keeps I already have captured. It won’t progress. :downs:

Edit: I captured the enemy base and killed Wizzro and still nothing :laffo:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten how long the story mode was... it just keeps going.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Pollyanna posted:

I think I input the game in a bad state. I reran the first campaign map, and it says to capture two keeps I already have captured. It won’t progress. :downs:

Edit: I captured the enemy base and killed Wizzro and still nothing :laffo:

I think you're supposed to go see the Great Fairy by that point.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your Computer posted:

I had forgotten how long the story mode was... it just keeps going.

It was a pretty cool surprise getting to play as Ganondorf then after I thought the game was over.

I never played the single player stuff added in Legends so I’m looking forward to that too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They really want you to know that Cia wants Link's dick real bad

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

They really want you to know that Cia wants Link's dick real bad

To be fair, so does a vast majority of the Zelda fanbase, especially after Breath of the Wild was released.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was a pretty cool surprise getting to play as Ganondorf then after I thought the game was over.

yeah, that part owns

this time I ended up playing as Ghirahim though. God drat he's amazing :stwoon:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

W.T. Fits posted:

To be fair, so does a vast majority of the Zelda fanbase, especially after Breath of the Wild was released.

We naturally need BOTW DLC that involves Cia wanting to gently caress Prince Sidon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

We naturally need BOTW DLC that involves Cia Link wanting to gently caress Prince Sidon.

get it right

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your Computer posted:

get it right

They could compete for his affections.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I was so happy I was able to ride my dudebro's back. Totally not gay.

Also my god is Wizzro the most annoying thing to fight and not get hit. I swear his attacks are like a straight 180 degree cone in front of him.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are character unlocks spoilers? Gonna do it anyway for people like me who didn't play on WiiU/3DS. I had no idea that Twili Midna was a character and her moveset is baller as gently caress.

Also does every character have two different weapons or just a few?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

For the My Fairy stuff, what does it mean when clothing decreases elemental costs? Is it like defense against those elements or is it something else?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pierson posted:

Are character unlocks spoilers? Gonna do it anyway for people like me who didn't play on WiiU/3DS. I had no idea that Twili Midna was a character and her moveset is baller as gently caress.

Some have one, some two and some have even more than that. Link has like 5 or 6 weapon sets.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pierson posted:

Just a few. Link (6), Zelda (3), Impa (2), Lana (3), Ganondorf (2), Linkle (2) and Toon Link (2) all have multiple weapon types, the rest of the cast are limited to a single weapon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In the options menu, there is a toggle to turn 8-bit weapons on and off.

If you turn that off, do you lose out on the weapons entirely or are they given some kind of special modern graphics or something?

edit: or is it mostly just a joke option that skin-swaps some weapons into being blocky, NES colored versions of themselves?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 24, 2018

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

AfroGunsou posted:

Hyrule warriors

Whats the deal with fairy food? Does it drop from enemies or what? I am almost done with the first adventure map and i have 4 pieces of food total from pots in the adventure maps with food as a reward. I have used weapons with the food+ skill too but nothin

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FPzero posted:

For the My Fairy stuff, what does it mean when clothing decreases elemental costs? Is it like defense against those elements or is it something else?

It’s the cost for using the R3 attack. 1 piece of clothing brings it down to 80% of the special bar, 2 is 60%. It only works if the clothing matches the type of attack you have.

You find them in specific adventure mode squares to unlock it and then it’ll drop from enemies. Try to unlock as many types of food as you can.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Food that's shown as an unlockable is hidden in a brown pot in an enemy keep on that stage, usually (but not always) the enemy home base. After that it'll drop rarely and randomly from officers.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Is there a clear way of knowing when the A Rank requirements are 1600 KOs instead of the typical 1200?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo Wizzro sucks to play as.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

He plays completely differently then most characters. His regular Y attack, the grab and smash, is insanely powerful relative to what you'd expect.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pollyanna posted:

Spam the bullet hell (second or third combo iirc?) attack. You are now in a bullet hell game and you are the bad guy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Or against, instant AOEs and if you try to keep away so you can dodge those attacks you'll be too far away to hit him before his weak point gauge drops. If it isn't jacking your health rating its constantly interrupting you.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
How does search work in Adventure Mode? I'm on a square whose A rank reward says search required, so I spend money on both candles and bombs and light/bomb every object on the screen and get nothing, having spent like 100k rupees.

Do objects that can be searched glow or something?
Do you really just have to hunt and peck on every single thing in on the stage, spending 10 grand per click?
Does the square tell you exactly what object you need to use to complete the "search?"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

How does search work in Adventure Mode? I'm on a square whose A rank reward says search required, so I spend money on both candles and bombs and light/bomb every object on the screen and get nothing, having spent like 100k rupees. Do objects that can be searched glow or something? Or do you really just have to hunt and peck on every single thing in on the stage, spending 10 grand per click?

Just uh... use a compass? :stare:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Just uh... use a compass? :stare:

So how does that work? I don't have a compass yet and they don't show up in the item shop. I don't really remember the game telling me this stuff.

When you get a compass, do you just use it on an arena which then... what? Does it tell you what item you need to use on what square to reveal the prize?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GreatGreen posted:

So how does that work? I don't have a compass yet and they don't show up in the item shop. I don't really remember the game telling me this stuff.

When you get a compass, do you just use it on an arena which then... what? Does it tell you what item you need to use on what square to reveal the prize?

Yes it tells you which square has the prize. Which item you use depends on the square.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

On the "Adventure Map" the bomb/candle/bracelet spots mostly all align with the locations of secrets in the original Zelda 1, so you can maybe get by without using a compass every time if you look up a map of Zelda 1's overworld secrets. Otherwise, use a compass on any tile requiring a search to make a spot shine. That spot is where you use the corresponding item (bomb for walls, candle for trees, bracelet for rocks, etc.) Other items have more obvious tells, like the Harp being needed for the Butterflies that sometimes show up in squares. There might be a tutorial that tells you what each item does on each type of search spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

There should be a compass on one of the first squares of the first map. You just use it like you would use any other item and it will reveal which tile needs an item used on it (it will sparkle).