Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I was playing around with a randomizer to choose 4 random classes for the original FF1, and it gave me Black Belt, Black Belt, Black Belt, and Back Mage. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

There are some other minor changes, but these are the biggest ones you'll most likely encounter

And the one I learned last year that drove me and my Berserkers completely insane: Liquid Flame is in the back row. For no loving reason. She just is.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I was playing around with a randomizer to choose 4 random classes for the original FF1, and it gave me Black Belt, Black Belt, Black Belt, and Back Mage. :black101:

So the Back Mage does the heavy lifting?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It's almost time again, eh.
Can't wait to get quad zerkers again. :shepface:

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Last time I got a Monk, Magic Knight, Ranger and Dancer for my first run and proceeded to triple crown it with the power of the almighty cock-shank. I wonder if I'll end up being able to triple crown it a second time?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So the Back Mage does the heavy lifting?

Eh, get one of those BBs to 42 and you're golden.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

And the one I learned last year that drove me and my Berserkers completely insane: Liquid Flame is in the back row. For no loving reason. She just is.

It might have something to do with the way that they coded the form-switching? That's the only reason I can think for it, but I don't know if that impacts any other form-switch bosses like Archeoaevis or Sandworm. It's worth checking.

Otherwise I can't think of a design reason behind it beyond "hey, just wanted to let you know, your Mystic Knight doesn't totally obsolete your Black Mage!" Which... it kind of does? That or it wants you to get acclimated to rod-breaking. I dunno, Liquid Flame is already a bit of a puzzle boss as it is.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have a better theory: Matrix bad

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
But like... you don't make a change like that without some kind of intention. Even if said intention is a horrible, horrible idea.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

agradine posted:

It might have something to do with the way that they coded the form-switching? That's the only reason I can think for it, but I don't know if that impacts any other form-switch bosses like Archeoaevis or Sandworm. It's worth checking.

mechanically, neither of those actually switch forms :eng101:

sandworm is actually three sandworms, which share an hp pool, but two of them are hidden and untargetable at any given time. this is why berserker has so much trouble in this fight, because its random targeting can and will target the hidden sandworms/hole and trigger a counter

archeoaevis is 5 different boss monsters all stacked on top of each other, and switches form by dying and unhiding the next version of it with a react:death script. killing any of them in a way that skips its react script (like using sap) skips all remaining parts of it

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

fits posted:

archeoaevis is 5 different boss monsters all stacked on top of each other, and switches form by dying and unhiding the next version of it with a react:death script. killing any of them in a way that skips its react script (like using sap) skips all remaining parts of it

Most form-switching bosses use the Archeoaevis method in this game, at that - Alte Roite/Jura Aevis and Melusine both come to mind. It's just unhiding battle entities that were already loaded into the battle.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Einwand posted:

It's almost time again, eh.
Can't wait to get quad zerkers again. :shepface:

You and me both :shepface: :hf: :shepface:

Also gently caress YES FIESTA THREAD IS BACK :black101:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

KataraniSword posted:

Most form-switching bosses use the Archeoaevis method in this game, at that - Alte Roite/Jura Aevis and Melusine both come to mind. It's just unhiding battle entities that were already loaded into the battle.

I think the back row thing must be related to the form switching then. The only other monster I’m aware of that has the same “Always in Back Row” property in this version are Metamorphs.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sneaky Wombat posted:

The yearly reminder not to do practice runs and burn myself out waiting for this crap to start.

You still have plenty of time to grind up to lvl. 99 before the first crystal, that should keep you occupied.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Woo let's do this

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Usually I try to do 4 runs every year but last summer I drew 3 berserkers and a monk and gave up because I wasn't having fun. This year just gonna stick to chaos and try to get my usual 4 runs done.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Friends don't let friends choose zerker risk.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
If you hate your jobs or get too many Berserkers, for the love of Greg just Job Fair out of it.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Pneub posted:

You still have plenty of time to grind up to lvl. 99 before the first crystal, that should keep you occupied.

No, this time is better spent getting as many saves to the wind shrine as possible, with terrible names for Butz. Such as, Buttz, BartzA, Fartz, NIPPLE, Dear, and #00000N+1

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
2016 I chaos'd into a four knight run, so I ran with it and job faired a four time mage run last year. Gotta decide what my single-class one will be this time.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Poque posted:

2016 I chaos'd into a four knight run, so I ran with it and job faired a four time mage run last year. Gotta decide what my single-class one will be this time.

4 geo's :getin:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I might've actually rolled the dice to decide on Time Mage :thunk:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't be cruel
:smith:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Even I, the resident Advocatus Geomanti, would not wish a 4 Geo run on anyone.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Archenteron posted:

Even I, the resident Advocatus Geomanti, would not wish a 4 Geo run on anyone.

I had a four Geo run two years ago (at least until Earth Crystal) and it was brutal but not un-doable. I can't imagine going into World 2 or beyond with that setup though.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My hottest FJF take: Natural runs can be fun! They make you think outside the box a lot and can give you some appreciation for really under-appreciated jobs like Dragoon and, yes, Red Mage. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the only real big problem with a Natural run is getting a party that has no way to take a few Almagests, thus necessitating a lot of endgame grinding for HP. But that's only been one of my four Natural runs so far (the party was Black / Red / Summoner / Berserker).

Still literally the only thing I'd do to rebalance the game: swap Muddle / Confuse and Shell in White levels, making Shell level 3. That's it!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The entire point of FFV and the job system is mixing and matching what you have and Natural rips that out.

It's antithetical to the entire point of the game, and adds pointless tedium if you get stuck with poo poo jobs.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

The entire point of FFV and the job system is mixing and matching what you have and Natural rips that out.

It's antithetical to the entire point of the game, and adds pointless tedium if you get stuck with poo poo jobs.

I mean, if you're going to make the argument that the point of the game is to mix and match, it is sort of hard to suggest that the Four Job Fiesta, which limits you to mixing and matching only four jobs, is in line with the point of the game. But video games are for fun and you can have fun playing it any way you want!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think Natural is ok in Classic Mode, which has a pretty high chance of giving you black or white mages (getting neither should happen roughly 20% of the time), and thus a workable setup.

While mixing and matching abilities from different jobs is cool, it's also an interesting constraint to have only 1 white magic or black magic caster, rather than the usual fiesta setup where if you get a mage class for your Wind Crystal then you'll generally have that kind of magic accessible on pretty much every party member. Getting a magic-using class in normal fiestas tends to lead to 'now everyone can cast white magic' (you only really need level 4 white magic for most of the really critical buffs), which homogenizes the overall experience rather than refining it. (You can make a similar point about some of the really busted jobs like samurai or chemist).

I would say the point of the Fiesta is 'gameplay variety via simple job constraints', and Natural fits within this mold despite lacking job mix-and-matching.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I just did this because I want the discord bot to send this (or else just cast the asker into the Void) but it is as relevant today as it was when it was written (also today)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I don't think I'll RISK this year. I can't remember if I had a quadzerker and then job fair'd it out last year or what. There's just this hazy memory of holding the fast forward button on Sandworm.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

W.T. Fits posted:

Man, I don't think I even finished my initial run last year. I dunno what it is, but I keep losing motivation to play through this and it kinda bums me out because this is legitimately one of my favorite FFs and I really do enjoy the challenge run itself. :smith:

Yeah, I feel the same way. After four years of Fiesta, I've had just about any job combination imaginable, so the last few runs I did felt more like going through the motions than genuinely enjoying a challenge. :(

Maybe I should try a randomiser mod. There must be a decent one for FFV, right?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. After four years of Fiesta, I've had just about any job combination imaginable, so the last few runs I did felt more like going through the motions than genuinely enjoying a challenge. :(

Maybe I should try a randomiser mod. There must be a decent one for FFV, right?
*crawls up from under the floorboards of the 2017 Fiesta thread*

Try the extra spicy randomizer, which I quickly cooked up for last year's Fiesta! Drag a GBA ROM onto the randomizer.exe program to get two randomized roms; a Mild randomized ROM and an Extra Spicy randomized ROM. The Mild randomization shuffles each job's skill tree and base skill so you can theoretically get a White Mage with !Rapid Fire, or a Beastmaster with !Call. The Extra Spicy randomization is... a bit more intense. Not only does it randomize skill trees and base skills, it randomizes them per character. You might end up with a Bartz Knight with !Flirt who learns !Chakra, while a Lenna Knight could have !Calm and learn !Summon 5. Spoiler files are provided by the program to help deal with this insanity. Source code here.

Here's an example of an extra spicy ROM I used for playtesting (party of Knight, Samurai, Berserker, Bard.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How'd I miss this thread until now.

Anyway I've got a new host for my FF5 stuff and I'm tweaking it whenever I have time and energy. Includes a boss guide, a comprehensive status effect guide that shows which job can inflict what, a guide that lists every enemy drop and steal available in the game, and a way-too-comprehensive Blue Magic guide that lists every possible source you can find Blue Magic from. And since I'm crazy I'm always adding more stuff to it.

Fiesta hype.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
It's the most! Wonderful time, of the year!

Are there any naming pledges going on yet?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Is the FFVA balance mod compatible with the music restoration hack?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Probably not, unfortunately. I'll look into making it compatible when I release an update (which will be happening because I just added some neat stuff!!!)

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

Mega64 posted:

and a way-too-comprehensive Blue Magic guide that lists every possible source you can find Blue Magic from.

I read that guide. It's good. Props my dude.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Can Of Worms posted:

Try the extra spicy randomizer, which I quickly cooked up for last year's Fiesta! Drag a GBA ROM onto the randomizer.exe program to get two randomized roms; a Mild randomized ROM and an Extra Spicy randomized ROM. The Mild randomization shuffles each job's skill tree and base skill so you can theoretically get a White Mage with !Rapid Fire, or a Beastmaster with !Call. The Extra Spicy randomization is... a bit more intense. Not only does it randomize skill trees and base skills, it randomizes them per character. You might end up with a Bartz Knight with !Flirt who learns !Chakra, while a Lenna Knight could have !Calm and learn !Summon 5. Spoiler files are provided by the program to help deal with this insanity. Source code here.

That sounds pretty amazing, thanks. I'll definitely give it a shot this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is the FFVA balance mod compatible with the music restoration hack?

I got it working last year, assuming nothing new has changed. I don't remember what order you have to apply them though. I didn't have to do any additional hacking.