Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Wait, how did June get outside and how did Nick see her? Or did she jump and they were implying Nick heard the thud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My take is that Nick saw her fall out the window? I don't think she jumped.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I could see Aunt Lydia being like a twisted version of the schoolteacher in Children of Men. Maybe a spinster who couldn't have children and was really affected by the decreasing number of children in her classroom over time.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Yeah, there seem to be different levels to the grounds around the house, so if she did fall it wasn't very far. Also, I didn't think the windows in June's room could be opened, but Aunt Lydia's comment about improving ventilation explains​ that, I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Right, I think we're meant to infer that she sat down in the window, and then passed out from blood loss/shock and fell.

I'm more curious about how she's apparently still pregnant. I mean that was a lot of blood. Hell I was starting to think she was hallucinating the blood or something.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I've seen Aunt Lydia as someone who is trying to atone for something. Maybe she had a baby as a teenager, put it up for adoption, and never managed to forgive herself for having had pre-marital sex?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
For some reason Lydia's "your baby is the size of a papaya" comment to Waterford stuck out in my head. It just seems like an odd comparison to make, especially to someone like him, who probably has no idea what a papaya looks like.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The one bright spot was Nick coming out of the house with the cigarette and collar flipped looking like that famous picture of Kerouac :swoon:

I'm confused as to how Nick could be a bright spot for anyone at all. He made as well be made of glass he has so little presence.

Crow Jane posted:

For some reason Lydia's "your baby is the size of a papaya" comment to Waterford stuck out in my head. It just seems like an odd comparison to make, especially to someone like him, who probably has no idea what a papaya looks like.

I think it was meant to let you know that Lydia doesn't really know much. Gilead has probably purged a lot of the people who know stuff about prenatal health. Lydia's level of knowledge is about that of one of those pregnancy apps that give you facts about your fetus as it grows.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nice little bit of world building, and acting, as Aunt Lydia shows a nice mix of haughty pride and faux-humility as she explains her special dispensation to read and write to track prenatal stuff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm off base, but I'm trying to think of what advice Lydia's been giving and it's like bathe twice a day instead of once, drink this herbal tea, take walks, mrs waterford should talk so the baby can hear her voice, no smoking around the pregnant lady. It seems like wives' tales-level of expertise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

I'm confused as to how Nick could be a bright spot for anyone at all. He made as well be made of glass he has so little presence.

I think he's handsome in a weird way :shrug:

The little clue we got that Aunt Lydia used to smoke is surely building us up for an entire episode that's just her in flashbacks.

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe I'm off base, but I'm trying to think of what advice Lydia's been giving and it's like bathe twice a day instead of once, drink this herbal tea, take walks, mrs waterford should talk so the baby can hear her voice, no smoking around the pregnant lady. It seems like wives' tales-level of expertise.

Yeah, it's very "nanny ogg"

edit: loving hell, Dowd would make a great Nanny Ogg

mundane haircut
May 3, 2007

"I am a couch. I am a couch. I am a couch."
Ultra Carp

Crow Jane posted:

I had a baby last November and that comment made me laugh. All the pregnancy books/apps give you size estimations for your baby based on the week you're in and they seem obsessed with fruit. I was definitely carrying around a papaya for a week, and my kid was "apple-sized" like four times (different kinds of apples, I assume).

Also, June would be 25 weeks based on her fundal height measurement which is right on the cusp of viability outside the womb :eng101:.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
woah they are gonna cut it out of her.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

precision posted:

Right, I think we're meant to infer that she sat down in the window, and then passed out from blood loss/shock and fell.

I'm more curious about how she's apparently still pregnant. I mean that was a lot of blood. Hell I was starting to think she was hallucinating the blood or something.

There’s a few things that could be going on that would cause massive blood loss, but wouldn’t affect the fetus if managed. Placenta previa was the first one that came to mind, where the placenta attaches over or very close to the cervix. If that’s what’s going on she’ll be put on bed rest until the baby is born or the placenta moves away from the cervix as the uterus expands. That’s gonna be boring as poo poo for a tv show though....

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
How will Serena Joy react if Nick's child bride gets pregnant? Also, did they say the child bride will isn't going to get to see her family again?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
I'm not sure they are going to keep her from her family as a rule, but she did say that they didn't have much time to say goodbye before she was given away. It's probably up to Nick now whether or not she gets to visit her family.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

I was kinda expecting it to be junes daughter. The lady of the house is the kind of person to do it

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

datajugend posted:

I was kinda expecting it to be junes daughter. The lady of the house is the kind of person to do it

I was going to say that was ridiculous based on the age of her daughter but then realized I'd have to argue the relative morality and effectiveness of marrying off 8 year olds vs. 12 year olds and yeah, so not a conversation I want to have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Since Serena explicitly says that sex in Gilead can be recreational, what are we to make of her implications in S1 that her and The Commander don't really get down and dirty anymore? Just a bad marriage?

I don't know how I'd feel if they try and do a face turn for Serena, because I think that's something that they've considered.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Though Serena doesn't make this distinction, I had the impression that it's only acceptable if a couple can produce children. Since Serena is supposedly sterile, it would be a sin of lust for the Waterfords to continue with 'the act'. Fred even blamed her for bringing lust into their house when she tried to rekindle their marriage. Just more hypocritical bullshit that the foundation of Gilead is built on. Countless probably fertile women are wasted because it's preposterous to consider that the husbands might be shooting blanks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, you're right. Had a minor brain lapse there.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

cocoavalley posted:

Though Serena doesn't make this distinction, I had the impression that it's only acceptable if a couple can produce children. Since Serena is supposedly sterile, it would be a sin of lust for the Waterfords to continue with 'the act'. Fred even blamed her for bringing lust into their house when she tried to rekindle their marriage. Just more hypocritical bullshit that the foundation of Gilead is built on. Countless probably fertile women are wasted because it's preposterous to consider that the husbands might be shooting blanks.

huh yeah that makes sense. at first i figured it was low key that he was in the closet, so i got confused for a bit when they went to the whore house

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Fragmented posted:

Thank you for making this thread. I was staring at gifs and source codes two nights ago trying to get my posting mojo on but i....didn't do anything. Unlike our hero! Cutting my ear off to own the chuds!

I'm only now catching up, but :holymoley: there has to be a better way to remove those things

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Well that was a :krad: cliffhanger

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
That cliffhanger :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
All I can say is gently caress yeah about time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Daaaaaaaaaaamn

I'm betting that guy that Nick told to reassign him is the secret leader of Mayday

E: xray specs at the end was great

precision fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 23, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:tviv:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

So, so far both Ofglens have now:
1. had parts removed
2. killed some motherfuckers

Gotta admit, I'm slightly curious about Glen, he seems to have a knack for inadvertently radicalizing Handmaids

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just watching now. Seeing the commanders wife get shouted off stage loving owned.

E: especially on the heels of seeing Tomi Lauren get shouted down and getting a drink thrown on her in public.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
That was an awesome episode.

Crow Jane posted:

So, so far both Ofglens have now:
1. had parts removed
2. killed some motherfuckers

Gotta admit, I'm slightly curious about Glen, he seems to have a knack for inadvertently radicalizing Handmaids
I'd love to see the show acknowledge this.

Oh - did we ever meet Glen's wife? She'd probably get blamed for it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Definitely starting to see some of the Iranian Revolution stuff Atwood drew from come to a head. That kicked rear end. I hope the commander is dead.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

What even happens to widows in Gilead? I assume the commanders' wives won't all be shipped off to the colonies, but I'm not sure they'll be allowed to keep living in their fancy houses and whatnot. Who's going to be in charge now that all the high ranking men are (hopefully) gone?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Holy gently caress that ending :stare: It'll be really interesting to see what will happen in the future

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I was shocked it went down but realistically its just going to make things shittier for June et al.

I will say this, i was just about done with watching this show (again) because it was just same ole same ole and then they go and make it exciting again. Hoping everyone important dies so we can't go back to status quo in 3 episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Bug Hug posted:

Oh - did we ever meet Glen's wife? She'd probably get blamed for it.

We did see her, she was the one who was really nervous and nice and she kept putting off the handmaid ritual by saying she had a headache or something. Emily wasn't lying when she said "a wife was kind to me once", she was referencing that.

Also, looks like the show has been renewed for Season 3 and coming up this season we're gonna see (super minor spoilers about upcoming guest stars):

Bradley Whitford as Commander Joseph Lawrence (season 2), the architect of Gilead’s economy, who is gruff and intimidating, with a disheveled mad genius vibe. His sly humor and flashes of kindness make him a confusing, mysterious presence for his newest Handmaid

Marisa Tomei as Mrs. O'Conner (season 2), a Commander's wife who is sent to the colonies as punishment for having sex with another man.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
so is season 2 still bad or

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It was never bad

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tomei already showed up and died.