Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cool, done with the OS war argument and now we can move on to the cloud equivalent. It's almost as if someone doesn't know the world doesn't revolve around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

Cool, done with the OS war argument and now we can move on to the cloud equivalent. It's almost as if someone doesn't know the world doesn't revolve around them.

spoilsport

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’m in AWS and GCP, so it doesn’t seem that compelling. Gcloud has a few features that are way ahead (global flat networks(I can route from Singapore to Frankfort to Ashburn in one VPC), better CI stuff and GKE is the best k8s) and AWS is the best all around cloud.

Azure has some interesting stuff but it doesn’t offer anything that compelling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

freeasinbeer posted:

I’m in AWS and GCP, so it doesn’t seem that compelling. Gcloud has a few features that are way ahead (global flat networks(I can route from Singapore to Frankfort to Ashburn in one VPC), better CI stuff and GKE is the best k8s) and AWS is the best all around cloud.

Doesn't offer anything that compelling for you.

Or maybe the world does revolve around you, who knows? How's getting your laptop to stop rebooting on you in the middle of the day going?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

The AWS thread in the Cavern of COBOL is sort of also an all public clouds thread

I always forget that place exists. I am certain that I have missed much!

E: "AWS is the best all around cloud" is a humdinger of a sentence.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

freeasinbeer posted:

Lol. :allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

Lmao it's you again

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
GCE is cool because it doesn't actively hate me the way a product built by amazon in 2004 to address amazon's internal needs does.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Doesn't offer anything that compelling for you.

Or maybe the world does revolve around you, who knows? How's getting your laptop to stop rebooting on you in the middle of the day going?

It wasn’t mine, it was a coworkers that got Jamf-ed as we dipped our toes back into allowing it on our laptops and he was the guinea pig. As a division we’ve avoided centralized management because of issues like that in the past. The point I was trying to make there is that there are a lot of user hostile stances that breed anger for little return. In this case it just means that we keep our poo poo off central management(if we have a half decent partner in IT we’d reconsider it makes us do more work).

And it was implied that I was talking from my perspective. ACS has some ok things and if I was a .net shop I’d be looking at it for managed k8s. Their virtual kublet has also beaten fargate/EKS to the market.

There is also a mongo wire compatible db engine that might be interesting if you are heavily into mongo.

As far as AWS, it’s the largest player in the cloud world, gets first class support for things like TF faster and is the default target for just about anyone going to the cloud. Does it have some narly limitations? Yes. Are there some really lovely offerings? Yes. But as far as breadth and depth it blows GCP and Azure out of the water.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I've had to deal with Azure classic for a while and getting it to migrate to ARM has been a pain, but once all that's done Azure is pretty great (insanely easier if you know PowerShell). Migrating a classic VNet to a new ARM ExpressRoute was only a 4-line script.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tailored Sauce posted:

I've had to deal with Azure classic for a while and getting it to migrate to ARM has been a pain, but once all that's done Azure is pretty great (insanely easier if you know PowerShell). Migrating a classic VNet to a new ARM ExpressRoute was only a 4-line script.

Azure Service Manager was god awful.

Azure Resource Manager is insanely awesome. And a worthy competitor towards AWS, GCP, etc.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

"We do all our testing in production" is an appropriate solution for an ever-increasing number of companies

This only "works" because management is still very willing to fire a low-level employee when something goes wrong in production.

The process is perfect, we just need to get rid of a person if an executive ever experiences an issue.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Methanar posted:

iperf3 wasn't part of the testing?

lol what the gently caress is that? it sounds expensive.
we just used a flashlight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm a huge powershell fan so to me, nothing. To anybody else in the industry we talk to, they look at us like we're insane.

I know people will take their preferred shell/scripting language to the grave, but caring what people use to SSH into stuff/interact with an API seems like a bit much.

Also today I used PowerShell and gShell to do what would have been days of work for me and my coworker in uhhhhhhh.... about 8 lines of code. (Plus an Excel macro and a gSheet script.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 24, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Can we do a ruby vs python fight soon?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Ruby's runtime overhead is bullshit

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I am a tech person at my first job for a startup, I know what I am talking about here.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

I am a tech person at my first job for a startup, I know what I am talking about here.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

This only "works" because management is still very willing to fire a low-level employee when something goes wrong in production.

The process is perfect, we just need to get rid of a person if an executive ever experiences an issue.

“Testing in production” is essentially a requirement once you’re building web apps at a certain scale. You simply can’t generate the requisite amount of variety of traffic and interactions to truly test internally. Canary releases and the like are you only real option. And many very successful companies do this very well.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Methanar posted:

Ruby's poo poo

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sickening posted:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

I am a tech person at my first job for a startup, I have no idea what I am talking about here.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 24, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“Testing in production” is essentially a requirement once you’re building web apps at a certain scale. You simply can’t generate the requisite amount of variety of traffic and interactions to truly test internally. Canary releases and the like are you only real option. And many very successful companies do this very well.

But then they aren't testing against all users at once, and there is an automated migration and a roll-back plan in place before deployment.
When people talk about testing in production, what I think of is an elite hacker editing their PHP scripts in Notepad++ on Windows, over a live FTP connection to the server.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

nielsm posted:

But then they aren't testing against all users at once, and there is an automated migration and a roll-back plan in place before deployment.

ha

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like power-shell

I wish i was good enough at it to not be copying scripts and editing them slightly all the time and instead i'd like to just write them myself.

Thanks that's my hot take.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Powershell is fun

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

That's the stuff right there. :schlick:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dogstile posted:

I like power-shell

I wish i was good enough at it to not be copying scripts and editing them slightly all the time and instead i'd like to just write them myself.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

dogstile posted:

I like power-shell

You aren’t as far away from writing them
Yourself as you believe. Buy the power shell in a month of lunches and you will be well on your way in no time.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah well I work exclusively on a type writer so all this networking, cloud, scripting and OS crap you dumbos are talking about is actually trash for dumb idiots sorry

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
maybe I'll quit and become a typewriter janitor.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sometimes I look at the jobs the warehouse guys get sent out on and figure i'd be happier moving stuff, then i realise how abysmally they get paid and I continue pressing buttons

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tailored Sauce posted:

maybe I'll quit and become a typewriter janitor.

Being Tom Hanks' typewriter maintainer would be a sweet job

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
What's the best antivirus?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Microsofts built in AV.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sepist posted:

This is like saying "What is the best STD?"

Seconding that the built in AV is going to work as good as any other IMHO.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Sepist posted:

Being on Linux.

(Non-joke answer: Windows Defender if you're on Windows. For Mac I have no clue.)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Ugh come on guys I was obviously gaslighting I dont give a gently caress about AV

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Trend micro agentless manager running on your Linux desktop, all your work done on Microsoft virtual machines :smug:

Reduce your overhead by increasing your overhead. Can't fail.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sepist posted:

A hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
Powershell owns, *esp* compared to the garbage fire that is bash. If I have to do anything in bash longer than like 3 lines I'm going to python.

Re: Azure:
I found out that you can use Azure AD + a yubikey as a way of authing to windows hello (or at least can in the near future) which means I might move my homelab and infra bullshit over from AWS to play with it for a while. Yubikey auth would be Very Fun.