Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Goodsir was also a criminal who stole an identity but a big believer in nominative determinism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh, can I also say that the cannibalism scene where poor Crozier had to eat Goodsir was really hard to watch. I think feet are gross anyways, so gently caress me that was :barf:

Also watching Goodsir's suicide was super :smith: and his death scene was well done! I'm sad this one is over, but it was amazing and a perfect run at ten episodes!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Goodsir was also a criminal who stole an identity but a big believer in nominative determinism

Uh, you mean Hickey?

How exactly did tuunbaq die? Choked on the chain?

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Hasselblad posted:

Uh, you mean Hickey?

whoosh

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Goodsir was also a criminal who stole an identity

?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Phi230 posted:

It's a good thing the show is done after this season and that these dumb goon anthology ideas aren't coming to pass

Its adapting a book, not a pulp magazine, any future anthology would be poo poo, like game of thrones after they stopped adapting the books

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-terror-season-2-amc/

quote:

When AMC greenlit the show now almost three years ago, they greenlit it as an anthology show. Meaning Season 1 would be the story of the Franklin Expedition, and subsequent seasons would take on a new narrative that carried the DNA that we established in Season 2.

I honestly don't mind. It'll be "The Terror" in name only since absolutely no one will be returning. Showrunners/creators are out. If season 2 turns out to be stupid, it doesn't erase how incredible season 1 was.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

He stole the name Goodsir and thought he should act accordingly because he believed in nominative determinism.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

He stole the name Goodsir and thought he should act accordingly because he believed in nominative determinism.

I must have missed that in the bad dialogue audio. :psyduck:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Milo and POTUS posted:

What episode was this?

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think I missed this in the show....

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It was a last minute reveal in the book, and tbh I'm glad they didn't include it in the series.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
So basically the entire Royal Navy was just a bunch of dudes catfishing each other? :stonk:

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
loving hell goons are dense.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

One thing I learned last night, my man Goodsir was played by an actor named Paul Ready, who was perfect for the role both in talent and already being named after an adjective.

Also this show was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, cheap cgi and all

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Iodised QQ posted:

One thing I learned last night, my man Goodsir was played by an actor named Paul Ready, who was perfect for the role both in talent and already being named after an adjective.

Yeah, they really made mountains out of molehills with obviously limited budgets and sets.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Iodised QQ posted:

Paul Ready is great in whatever he shows up in. check out bbc's Utopia, and the few episodes of The Tunnel that he has a role in

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't like the ending. I figured they would go different from the book, but I thought they were setting Crozier up to become Tuunbaq, especially when they showed how human his face was (awesome creature design, btw).

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Interesting interview with the showrunner on BI today

http://www.businessinsider.com/amcs-the-terror-creator-talks-about-10-year-journey-to-make-it-2018-5

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So what happened with the other party? Insanity/ cannibalism? The chains were creepy. What did he say before he died?

Book Spoilers: My take on Hickey is that he had the second sight that Crozier had in the books and was being haunted by dreams of Tuunbaq. He accepts Tuunbaq as a god before it all goes wrong and cuts off his tongue, similarly to how Crozier eventually submits in the book.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Finished it. Good show.

I also had a very hard time identifying who was who. Thankfully no more Arby's ads in the final episode.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That last episode was amazing. From what I've read about the book, it seems like the changes they made were for the better.

Tuunbaq also managed to really creep me out as it was dying/dead, it reminded me way too much of Sloth from The Goonies before then.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you realized that Milo was making a joke, please take one step forward

Edit: not so fast, hassle bad

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Kinda sad how little Lady Silence was used compared to the book

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BlackJosh posted:

Kinda sad how little Lady Silence was used compared to the book

She did seem to just be there because she was in the book, without actually doing what she did in the book.

Dunno which Hickey death was less satisfying, book or TV. Book seemed to veer toward Stephen King than the abruptness of the show.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I enjoyed the book version in that he was a smug self proclaimed god that very quickly learned the wrath of a real god, but I also like my head-canon for his death in the show.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The cool thing about the book death is that it offers an explanation for why later searchers found an abandoned boat with two skeletons, one of them scattered/damaged and the other one in good condition.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

I enjoyed the book version in that he was a smug self proclaimed god that very quickly learned the wrath of a real god, but I also like my head-canon for his death in the show.

The whole "not comfortable with him staring at me, I'll just cut his eyes out. I can always fix him later" thing was pretty spooky.

It just occurred to me that they never again mentioned the small handful of guys who remained with the ships after they left them behind (in the show version).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Presumably they just went crazy-go-nuts like everyone else did.

Guess they didn't have the time or budget to just show another scene where the ship guys tell the Eskimos to buzz off.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

Presumably they just went crazy-go-nuts like everyone else did.

Guess they didn't have the time or budget to just show another scene where the ship guys tell the Eskimos to buzz off.

Why even have them stay at the ships? They all went in the book. :shrug:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Hasselblad posted:

They found the ships with remains a couple years ago.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I know it'll be difficult, but if you know you're going to die of starvation or freezing, try to leave either a mysterious or humorous skeleton.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hasselblad posted:

It was strange, because even as they were leaving, Crozier was looking over the ship like they were abandoning it and I was thinking "people are staying, right?"

I'm guessing that's why he didn't want to leave anyone else behind on the march...poor Dobson... :smith:

I can't wait to give this another watch through on bluray. Good interview with the showrunner/writer from TVGuide:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-terror-season-1-finale-review-ending-tuunbaq/?ftag=twtrsoshares

quote:

The Terror was horrifying on so many levels, but what was unique about the show was its ability to create a sense of horror throughout all the episodes despite vast changes in scenery and situation. Was there a common baseline you established to make the show's sense of horror consistent throughout the 10 episodes?
David Kajganich
: Well yeah, the first rule being no jump scares, and I think once you embrace the idea that you can give the audience a frightening experience or a tense experience without needing to startle them, I think so many options open up. I think people have been trained over the last couple of decades with horror to confuse being startled with being frightened, and they're two completely different things. We never wanted to be a show that trafficked in those easy jump scares, we wanted to earn everything. And you earn it the hard way, by working out character and working out the psychological insights.
Soo Hugh: Horror is one of those things that means something different to everyone, it's the most flexible genre because it's so undefinable. Everyone is scared of their own unique things. What was interesting to explore in the show was, in addition to what Dave was saying about having specific rules of what not to do, but once we got that off the ground we really wanted to explore all the ways horror could be surprising, especially what Dave was saying from a character's point of view, each person is in a different type of horror show.
Kajganich: We also wanted to embrace all the different kinds of horror out there. We have some great love of some fantastic B-movies, and we have some great love of some very sophisticated literary horror and everything in between, and we wanted the show to be a sort of sampler of all the different ways people have transmitted horror.
Hugh: We watched so many movies in the writers room, but we didn't watch any horror movies.
Kajganich: Yeah, we watched Westerns and war films and documentaries, and tried to learn some lessons and take tension and maintain it and release it at the right moment.

I'd love to talk about the ending, and how it differs from the book. What went into the decision to take what was arguably a happy ending in the book — Francis Crozier is accepted by the Inuits and he and Lady Silence end up together and have children as a couple — and make it more solemn, where Lady Silence was banished and Francis lived alone with the natives?
Kajganich
: There's a version of the ending of the story that would be very reassuring, which is that Crozier, this character we've come to love, is able to jump from his own culture to this native culture and thrive. There's a danger to that ending, at least there's a danger to misunderstand that ending. By taking Silna as his wife and them having children, it just feels like it was a kind of reassurance that we weren't sure the show was going to earn. In trying to build a different character for Silna, one that exists on her own terms, with her own arc, her own concerns, with her own methods for dealing with them, a big part of that when we started to do some research on our own in terms of shamanism and Netsilik culture and all of that, we understood that the inevitable conclusion here was that, in the same way that Crozier as captain of the expedition loses his ships and has a steep price to pay for that, she as a second-in-command shaman who loses her Tunnbaq also should pay a price if we're really going to be honest about what the consequences of this story are. So to have the pay the full bill for what happened, to the disruption of the equilibrium that these ships bring with them when they enter this territory. We knew it was the right ending and it would leave Crozier in his own different ending from the book, which is that he decides not to go back to Britain, but instead he's chosen what's going to be a very difficult life, but at least it's a life with people who are more honest about their motivations and have more of a sense of community than he'd go back to if he went back to London.
Hugh: Nor does he want to go back to London after all that he's been through. He can't go back to that place any more. We hope that at the end of our show the audience understands that as well.

Visually, The Terror was also a treat, and one of the ways you subtly increased the idea of horror in the early episodes was when we could see the Erebus and The Terror were tilted as the ice formed beneath the ships, which added to the claustrophobia. I always wondered this: were the sets crooked or did you just turn the camera for that effect?
Kajganich
: The sets were crooked, they were on huge gimbals that we cranked at whatever angle we needed, so they were able to cant to the point where actors were sliding around. [Laughs.]
Hugh: But I remember at one point someone did suggest canting the camera, and we were like, "That's not going to work." That would have really helped set production along though.

I wondered if they actually canted the sets or the camera...what a great show!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

quote:

she as a second-in-command shaman who loses her Tunnbaq

Uh, I don't think these guys read the book very closely toward it's end. It was not "her Tuunbaq". It was a literal god (there was only one) that the shamans kept at bay with offerings so it would not come and devour their peoples souls. They did not control it and it wasn't their pet. The reason it was not nice with the white sailors is that the Shaman's agreement was that Tuunbaq could have the entire arctic for itself and only the Shaman would venture there.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 24, 2018

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Hasselblad posted:

Uh, I don't think these guys read the book very closely toward it's end. It was not "her Tuunbaq". It was a literal god (there was only one) that the shamans kept at bay with offerings so it would not come and devour their peoples souls. They did not control it and it wasn't their pet. The reason it was not nice with the white sailors is that the Shaman's agreement was that Tuunbaq could have the entire arctic for itself and only the Shaman would venture there.

I took "loses her Tuunbaq" to mean that she's the priestess to a dead god. The show never implies that she has actual control over it. In general I'm not particularly concerned with what's in the book because everything I've heard sounds as if it was improved in the adaptation, and also that Dan Simmons is off his loving rocker.

As for the crew left on the ships I thought it was communicated pretty clearly in their dialogue with Crozier that it was always considered a long shot for the ships to sail again and that the men primarily volunteered to die in familiar surroundings rather than leave.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

15,000-25,000 calories per man per day versus extended rationing waiting for the ice to thaw.

Speaking as someone who has pulled an akio for days on end up and down mountains in Alaska, that is unlikely. Granted an akio is not a boat sledge but they could never have burned that many calories and lived more than a week unless they were athletes in prime physical condition. Sailors with scurvy and lead poisoning, suffering from malnutrition and probably dehydration; no loving way.

edit; to be clear, I'm not calling you a liar or anything I'm sure someone broke out their calculator and put a lot of thought into coming up with those numbers but in reality there is no way they could sustain that amount of effort and live. They might do it once, or twice, but they would need days between to recover physically.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 24, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think the show does a good job of basically portraying them as totally hosed from episode 3 onwards. as soon as they lose franklin, and crozier's still a drunk, they're doomed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

wormil posted:

Speaking as someone who has pulled an akio for days on end up and down mountains in Alaska, that is unlikely. Granted an akio is not a boat sledge but they could never have burned that many calories and lived more than a week unless they were athletes in prime physical condition. Sailors with scurvy and lead poisoning, suffering from malnutrition and probably dehydration; no loving way.

edit; to be clear, I'm not calling you a liar or anything I'm sure someone broke out their calculator and put a lot of thought into coming up with those numbers but in reality there is no way they could sustain that amount of effort and live. They might do it once, or twice, but they would need days between to recover physically.

Yeah, I'll defer to experience on that one. And to be fair, the dudes were running around and being a bunch of cadets about it, and they definitely weren't doing the synchronized walking trick they did in the show, so there was a lot of wasted energy.

I suppose the point is that it took enormous effort to pull the sledges, and would have been difficult/impossible to completely replace the calories they were using. Add in scurvy and lead poisoning and their strength waned even more quickly. Each man that becomes too weak to pull weighs down the sledge further, creating a ~cascade failure~ where you either get stuck or are forced to leave people behind. It's why the decision to try to walk out was so hard to come to and they only finally gave in to it when it was "walk out now or lose the chance to make even an attempt" time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I took "loses her Tuunbaq" to mean that she's the priestess to a dead god. The show never implies that she has actual control over it. In general I'm not particularly concerned with what's in the book because everything I've heard sounds as if it was improved in the adaptation, and also that Dan Simmons is off his loving rocker.

It isn't high art, but I wouldn't dismiss it as off-the-rocker garbage. I thought of it more of a Stephen King+1 horror novel with a good dose of Patrick O'Brian style description. I think that the strongest parts of the show were when they stuck closely to the novel and that things progressively got worse the further they veered away from the source material.

Certainly the Tuunbaq stuff was cooler in the books, with an entire chapter devoted to the mythology behind it, which I know some people didn't enjoy but I found to be increasingly horrific as I realized that the ships had sailed into a monsters den and that they were doomed from the beginning IIRC they even imply that Tuunbaq would have chased the men down even if they'd made it to the river, with the waters always freezing ahead of them.

I also enjoy the ending much more, with Crozier becoming a servant to Tuunbaq after having haunted dreams of submitting to the eucharist as a child, with the priest becoming more and more monstrous.

I know TV/IV doesn't read books and all, but check it out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

The arrangement didn't mention the Shawoman though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

a smug self proclaimed god that very quickly learned the wrath of a real god

Enough with the virgin Tuunbaq vs chad Blanky memes already.