Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's still the life sized Cham doll even though she's Chum now! This is bullshit!! I'm taking this to my local member of parliament! Terada you will regret this. The only way to make it up to me is OGs 4.

edit: and whats the TacP, money and Travel Charm for? Did one of the bonus things not work right?

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, this first route split in SRW X... It's a bummer because all of my good units with the exception of G-Self so far are on the Super Robot side. But I did decide to play both and while I appreciate the game's attempt to make Buddy Complex somewhat compelling, the other route has Simon literally scream "SPIN TO WIN!" as a way of taking care of a giant gravity dragon.

gently caress, why are there so many secrets in the Real Robot route splits anyway in this game?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Most of the secrets are point based. Otherwise just completing the objectives you can on the combined routes will get you all but two I think.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah I got almost all the real secrets and I did all the Super route splits. The only ones I missed were some of thr G-Reco ones that only show up on the real routes and I barely care about them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaX posted:

Man, this first route split in SRW X... It's a bummer because all of my good units with the exception of G-Self so far are on the Super Robot side. But I did decide to play both and while I appreciate the game's attempt to make Buddy Complex somewhat compelling, the other route has Simon literally scream "SPIN TO WIN!" as a way of taking care of a giant gravity dragon.

gently caress, why are there so many secrets in the Real Robot route splits anyway in this game?

Because pretty much all of the secrets are Gundam related.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Only because most of the secrets that should be non-Gundam just... aren't secrets. Black Might Gaine joins by himself, Toraoh joins by himself (I don't know how on model this is to Wataru but it feels like the kind of thing that might be), Jill joins by herself, Code Geass does whatever it wants, I think the only real super secret in the game is Kaiser Nova/Emperor Booster.

Also even the Gundam secrets don't seem that secret. Mashmyre and Mask Crew just sort of happened for me and I took zero Gundam routes.

Oh yeah, I finally finished the game yesterday. I just got busy partway through the final stage and lagged out, so last night I just sat down and bashed through the last 200k HP. (Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann + Nemo's broke-rear end 40 SP Awaken is absolute bullshit.) Good game, Hopes best bird. Did really weird stuff with story and I hope that's an ongoing trend.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish they did more with the originals.

Dude, at least recolour your Deenbells and have them shoot fire and ice as well. Do something with all the magic.

Also give Amari an attack upgrade path that isn't blatantly Iori's martial arts based upgrades.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, the second thing I thought when Denkosekka came out (after "that is such a cool attack") is that it's blatantly not an attack Amari would have come up with.

Praying for a full Land/Setsuko split again next game. It'd be interesting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=srwg

It's here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hell yes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

How does SRWG play compared to other SNES SRWs?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Masoukishin games are broadly similar to normal SRW games, but have a few key differences. First, flanking is very important. Hitting someone from the sides or rear is always preferable, and avoiding being hit from the sides or rear is important. Second, there's a new resource in play called Prana; Prana is used to power a lot of attacks, but is also used as a general stat booster for your unit, which means that spamming Prana attacks will negatively affect your unit's stats and attack power. Third, weapons are upgraded individually like in the OG games, which means that it's important to pick efficient and useful attacks to upgrade; this is complicated by the fact that many units can unlock superior, upgraded attacks by upgrading their existing attacks to a sufficient degree, like Cybuster unlocking the Vanity Ripper by upgrading Discutter sufficiently.

The general rule of SRW Gaiden is that if it's a Masoukishin or the Valsione, it kicks rear end. Other units are more mixed.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I wish someone would pick up SRW W for translation, it’s still my favorite after all these years.

And speaking of translations I think A Portable will be finished soon as well! This is a pretty good year for english SRW.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've seen Zenki work on Masoukishin and A Portable for years now, and he never ceases to amaze me with his dedication and his exhaustive levels of research. I hope you guys enjoy the writing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I wish someone would pick up SRW W for translation, it’s still my favorite after all these years.

I wonder if DS roms are generally more difficult to modify than gba roms, since I haven't noticed very many DS hacks in general.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just played through the first stage. Translation seems good so far, and it's great to finally play this game.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tribladeofchaos posted:

On /m/ a few years back, someone from the Romhacking Aerie (the guys that did SRWJ) (I think it was kingcom, but I'm not positive) got in touch with a translator to get working on SRWW, but I don't think the project ever took off.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

W getting translated would be very good. It's still the only non-OG SRW I've 100% completed, just because it's a lot of fun and because I could follow the plot thanks to Brunom's LP of it.

Honestly though I still want a remake of it, as good as it is, it does feel incomplete without voice acting for Guy, you know? It isn't the same without screaming about COURAGE.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I am nearing a month between when my copy of X shipped and still not receiving it. I've been distracted with other games while waiting, but still I would actually like to get it and play.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I fell behind on X (Haven't been able to be around my PS4 as much as I'd like the past few weeks), and now the Gaiden translation is out.

There's just too much SRW in English now!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

That's really cool, I'd thought this project was long dead

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Raxivace posted:

There's just too much SRW in English now!

As Alpha is still at 65%, I'll have to disagree with you.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Hellioning posted:

As Alpha is still at 65%, I'll have to disagree with you.

I thought the Alpha patch was just dead. Again.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I thought the Alpha patch was just dead. Again.

It may as well be. There's a reason 65% is a meme on /m/.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm not going to comment one way or another on Alpha except to say that it's kind of snarky to make remarks about that when Gideon literally just put out 6 SRW-related titles this year alone, with a 7th on the way (Hero Senki). It's not like he's sitting on his thumbs.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
I finally got X! ...and immediately on impulse bought the DLC despite telling myself I wasn't going to do it. :bang:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Stage 33 on the Doakdar Route, the wiki says there are TacP for having Shibaraku fight Shogun Mifune. I can't seem to get it to happen? I had him fight Mifune before the Dunbine Event as well as after after and he says the exact same dialogue either way and Spero has no special discussion in the vault and no mention of TacP getting awarded. Does anyone have the Bible thingy to give reading it in Japanese a go to see if that says its something different?

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

a Japanese wiki says it's both Shibaraku and Genryusai that need to fight Shogun Mifune for the factory scenario.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Nice, thanks!

Apparently Cyber-Newtype doesn't boost the damage of mechs with the "+damage per level of Newtype" bonus thing in X? I am 99% sure it did in Z3 cos Kshatriya had it as a bonus and Marida boosted it I'm pretty certain

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
gently caress, I hope not. Threw Mashymere into the Hi-nu without a second thought.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I tested it and indeed it does not. Mashymere has Sazabi's move at 5400 with L6 Cybernewtype and Roux at L2 Newtype has it at 5500. Same damage boost as previous games, but only Newtype activates it. Piss.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Just started X and I see people in this thread saying Iori is the better protagonist. Why is that because, design wise he seems kinda generic?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just started X and I see people in this thread saying Iori is the better protagonist. Why is that because, design wise he seems kinda generic?

Well, for one thing the bird isn't constantly hitting on him.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Iori has the better theme.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Iori has a lot of entertaining back-and-forth banter with Spero. It's a somewhat different dynamic from Amari's. It still depends on what you like, of course.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

Spero's relationship with Iori is good and fun. His relationship with Amari is...less so. Given that Spero is an enormous and integral part of the plot, this is pretty important.

Inferno-sama posted:

Iori has the better theme.

Hard disagree. The intro to Iori's first theme is heinous repetitive blaring trumpets leading into wailing buttrock guitar. It's not a horrible song aside from the intro but it's pretty low on my list of recent SRW songs. His upgrade theme is...I can't even remember the tune of it without going for another listen on Youtube, and Iori was my protagonist.

Amari's two themes have a great "This is a magical adventure" vibe to them and are just nice to listen to because they don't lean quite as hard on hard-edged wailing guitars trying to sound badass and actiony. Amari's second theme in particular suits the Xelguard's final attack about a billion times better than Iori's because her second theme basically screams "magical power is being unleashed".

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
The first of Amari's themes has the most boring first 30 seconds in a SRW original song in recent years and that's a big sin. I much prefer Iori's first.

Amari's second is 200000% better though. -

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Ended up getting to the first Earth/Space Route split in X and while I would like to see more Char given how he was absent in V, the series split seems lopsided as gently caress to me.

I know "just have everything Gundam related and Buddy Complex on one end" makes some story sense, but at least V had the sense to kinda balance Supers and Reals on their splits.

If I stay on Earth, I get all the Supers like Gurren Lagann, Daitarn, Mightgaine, Wataru, and a decent amount of very good reals to fill out the roster (Ange, Dunbine units, Code Geass). In Space, all I really could work with was ZZ, Wing Zero, and G-Self. Duo, Quatre, and Trowa are cool but I don't really see them making the endgame, and gently caress Wufei. Outside of that, you only have Seabook who was hella nerfed compared to Kincade, the Gundam Team, and Aida who is still kinda underwhelming. Haven't really been able to make the Buddy Complex folks work all that well considering you're always going to need both of them on the field to really make full use of the two.

They could have thrown Space a bone and thrown Daitarn or something up there. It's not like Banjo really has a preference on where he kicks rear end it seems.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MechaX posted:

Ended up getting to the first Earth/Space Route split in X and while I would like to see more Char given how he was absent in V, the series split seems lopsided as gently caress to me.

I know "just have everything Gundam related and Buddy Complex on one end" makes some story sense, but at least V had the sense to kinda balance Supers and Reals on their splits.

If I stay on Earth, I get all the Supers like Gurren Lagann, Daitarn, Mightgaine, Wataru, and a decent amount of very good reals to fill out the roster (Ange, Dunbine units, Code Geass). In Space, all I really could work with was ZZ, Wing Zero, and G-Self. Duo, Quatre, and Trowa are cool but I don't really see them making the endgame, and gently caress Wufei. Outside of that, you only have Seabook who was hella nerfed compared to Kincade, the Gundam Team, and Aida who is still kinda underwhelming. Haven't really been able to make the Buddy Complex folks work all that well considering you're always going to need both of them on the field to really make full use of the two.

They could have thrown Space a bone and thrown Daitarn or something up there. It's not like Banjo really has a preference on where he kicks rear end it seems.

Duo and Quatre really get the shaft by virtue of only even having three attacks. At least Trowa has the perfectly named 'Fire Everything'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember the horrible days when Alpha 2 introduced group attacks, and the Gundams were limited to Vulcans for some reason

• Locked thread