Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This show just does that instant death from outer space so well. I remember Shed the medic just having his head disappear midsentence during the Donnager battle being one of the scenes that sold me on this show in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
What a god damned episode.

Again. This season is nuts.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Naomi code switching to a stronger Belter accent while she's among other Belters was a really nice little touch.

I also really enjoyed this.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i didn't know what to expect and it was a bit jarring to suddenly fast-forward 6 months but holy gently caress

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm consistently impressed by basically everything about this show and I don't even know where to start

I haven't read the books so I didn't know about the splat ahahahaha

e: where can I pledge my allegiance to the new belter nation

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

man david strathairn is an extremely good choice for this role and i'm very excited to see the rest of this season

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

seriously wasn't the pirate guy on the show before? i forget when

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Can I get a gif of the actual splat please?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Jesus loving Christ

There isn't a :stare: big enough

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tighclops posted:

I'm consistently impressed by basically everything about this show and I don't even know where to start

I haven't read the books so I didn't know about the splat ahahahaha

e: where can I pledge my allegiance to the new belter nation

You'll need to learn lang Belta first.

It's totally a thing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lang Belta was designed by an actual linguist to actually make sense, and yet Duolingo only has the dumb meme languages of Klingon and High Valyrian instead of it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
TVIV> The Expanse, Season 3: Belta lik pashang!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i like how 'welwalla' literally means 'guy who lives in a gravity well'

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh, and props to the costume department for Amos' holey, tattered undershirt. :golfclap:

They are really good at setting stuff up on this show and having it pay off way down the line: remember when they introduced these slingshot guys in what? Episode 2?

They really compressed a lot into this episode for the pace they've been going so far and it felt very natural to me. We got a time jump and a brace of new characters that look like they'll stick around for a bit. The show has been really great this season about fleshing out the world with secondary characters each episode!

And no one has even mentioned Melba doing the Horizontal Pile Driver on that dude...way to hulk out, lady. :pwn:

Anywho, the show continues to get better in my opinion, really hoping Bezos loves space enough to just buy ~all the things~... :homebrew:

theCalamity posted:

Can I get a gif of the actual splat please?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

What the gently caress did I just watch

I love this goddamned show.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

Crazycryodude posted:

Lang Belta was designed by an actual linguist to actually make sense, and yet Duolingo only has the dumb meme languages of Klingon and High Valyrian instead of it.

Memrise has a course! It's a fun little phrasebook that will teach you useful phrases like "Na gif fo mi na kaka, dzhemang (don't give me any poo poo, brokedick)"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought last episode was loving amazing but holy poo poo this one blew that right out of the goddamn well.

The loving pirate dude accent is goddamn ridiculous. Nobody fucks with Drummer dude, when you gonna learn. All the world building has been fantastic. And that ending... gently caress me, man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dude should have watched more sci-fi, I was positive that was a portal the first moment I saw the Ring.

That or a giant space hedgehog was going to come along.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
So the thing that never settled right was Miller chasing Julie Mao's ghost. It was like, wasn't she not really there? Miller sort of must have been hallucinating.

Now I think it's pretty clear it wasn't just artistic license, it was intentional how the hallucinations were done and there's some underlying mechanism for how they work.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Dude should have watched more sci-fi, I was positive that was a portal the first moment I saw the Ring.

That or a giant space hedgehog was going to come along.

I read the books, and like, that was done a million ways better than I could have possibly imagined. Dude got loving obliterated, holy poo poo

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

i like how 'welwalla' literally means 'guy who lives in a gravity well'

Oh it's more than that.

Wallah is a Hindu suffix that is used to indicate a persons doing something, usually a profession, for example a Chaiwalla (chia meaning tea) being a person who sells tea. It can also be used to refer to a persons hobby or even an obsession they have.

In Belter Creole, they appropriate the Wallah suffix with other languages - a psychiatrist is known as a Govawala, Gova being taken from the Polish word głowa which means head.

Pashangwala is another good one, taking the Mandarin word "to mount" which Belters use in lieu of gently caress.

Welwalla means person who is obsesed with the wel (aka inner plannets).

.... as a person who loves language and etymology this show tickles me in ways I never thought possible.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 24, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Taintrunner posted:

I read the books, and like, that was done a million ways better than I could have possibly imagined. Dude got loving obliterated, holy poo poo

Yea, I assume what happened is he was going insanely fast, then BAM came to a near stop, so part of him just kept going forwards.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I assume what happened is he was going insanely fast, then BAM came to a near stop, so part of him just kept going forwards.

Delta-:v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Am I supposed to know who Melba is, or is this just setting her up as a character?

Also, holy poo poo at that guy just stopping. When he first started talking about how everyone would remember him, I figured he was going to slam into the ring to try to destroy it or something. Then he got excited that his girlfriend wanted to bang him again, and I was wondering why if he was going to kill himself. Then I realized he was going to fly through the ring. Then that climax, god drat. Can't wait to see what the hell that ring is supposed to be.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cojawfee posted:

Am I supposed to know who Melba is, or is this just setting her up as a character?

New character.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Also, holy poo poo at that guy just stopping. When he first started talking about how everyone would remember him, I figured he was going to slam into the ring to try to destroy it or something. Then he got excited that his girlfriend wanted to bang him again, and I was wondering why if he was going to kill himself. Then I realized he was going to fly through the ring. Then that climax, god drat. Can't wait to see what the hell that ring is supposed to be.

You aren't supposed to know who she is yet but pretty chekovs gun that her introduction is people talking poo poo about Mao and asking what she thinks about the guy that put him away

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The *splat* was really cool. Between this and the lab tech it's impressive how well they're pulling off gore effects despite the show not having them before.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It was cool to see them clean up and reuse the Agatha King set for the fancy UNN flag this week. Come on, Amazon, look at how efficient this production is!

VV Fair enough. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 24, 2018

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:cb:

There is another thread for stuff like this and the mods aren't playing this week...may want to edit that. :shrug:

Well that spoiler is completely based on the tonight's episode so gently caress off ding dong.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Camera dude and hulk-drug lady and maybe interview lady are up to something and I don't like it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was so Metal.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 24, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also belter 1st officer guy is pretty cool and he's 100% right that they need to create a civil society but he's also 100% up to no good.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
People are gonna squee about a lot that happened.

Can we get a moment--just a moment--to appreciate the guy who steps in on his brother's girl, and walks in on the Dear John VLOG wearing a banana hammock to say whats up? Just suspending completely for a second the idea that Belters are tallish skinny waifs and going straight for the FCC safe dickcentric cuckoldry sight gag? Because that whole story sequence was a hilarious departure in tone, and that particular bit was the cherry on top.

e;

Cojawfee posted:

I could swear I've seen someone who looks just like her.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 24, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It took me way too long to realize that was Straithairn. I like that he's going to the Sam Elliott school of aging ruggedly.

I have to say, this season started a bit slow for me, but the last 3 episodes have shifted it into overdrive like :piss:

splat

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This video is good for Lang belta, this bartender geezer has got it down. I hope he gets a gig in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eupcy0lIjsk&t=379s

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So what was the big surprise from the crew stream

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

StashAugustine posted:

I like the OPA uniforms, and how the more radical faction is the one trying to establish more of a rule of law

It'll be interesting to see how far he's willing to take that notion, and how long this Dawes-Johnson alliance can last before Dawes or his guys (in particular his head guy first officer on the Behemoth) see an opportunity that's worth burning the alliance for.

I wish the show had given a better explanation for what the Behemoth is doing out there, if they ever said it I missed it. I know from context clues and there really only being one notable thing to be out there doing in space right now (at least on the government ship/giant Belter legit salvage poo poo level), but it seems like there should be a line or two about it. Right now I'm more inclined to think I just missed it, unless they're saving it for a reveal later for some reason.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

drat that was crazy

I haven't read the books, this is all speculation based off of the show, but the last time i did this the post got spaced :rip: so i'll spoiler tag this: i'm thinking the ring might be a gate. It could be that the protomolecule was created by aliens for finding habitable systems (among other things) and then collecting the materials necessary to build some kind of hyperspace/wormhole gate so that the aliens themselves could travel there. But maybe something went wrong with the probe carrying this protomolecule sample, and it crashed and never activated...until it was discovered 2 billion years later by humans who fed it with lasers and people and radiation, and then it grew and fed itself everything, and completed its job of building the gate that now links our solar system to a gate in a habitable system a long way away, with a long dead (or maybe not?) civilization in it and a bunch of weird crazy hosed up and cool poo poo to explore and colonize and get killed by.

As for the guy getting turned into meat goop by the ring, here's what i think might have happened: the gate activated. oops lol. Maybe any ship passing through the ring activates it, or maybe there's some some invisible technobabble energy field inside the ring (im thinking the ring needs enough energy or a magic quantum space signal from home to activate the gate), and passing through that field at high speed can activate it (we see a ship pass through the ring at slow speeds earlier in the episode with no effect, though maybe that was a protomolecule drone thing, not a human ship). But unfortunately for racer dude, the act of passing through the activated gate into the warp dimension or whatever, is a slow process, so it slowed him down really fast. Not so fast that his ship was destroyed, but fast enough to rip his body apart.

or maybe you need some protomolecule with you in order to pass through the gate safely...and doesn't the Rocinante have some rogue protomolecule stowed away in the bulkheads? :vince:

or maybe its just a giant space goatse

:awesome:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 24, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Book spoilers about the ring: It is indeed an interstellar transportation system, but in order to use it, you have to travel at realllllllllllllly slow speeds. Eventually, that changes, but at the start, it takes quite some time to navigate the gate system.

EDIT:

quote:

The Slow Zone, the Dandelion Sky or the Hub is the location on the other side of the Ring. It's a black, starless space approximately one million kilometers across, with 1373 individual Ring wormholes[Citation needed] in an enormous sphere around it. Ring Station sits in the middle of the slow zone. The actual location of the slow zone in space, or whether it is connected to the universe other than through wormholes, is unknown.

The slow zone was named for its absolute speed limit of six hundred meters per second. Any object with non-zero invariant mass moving faster than this limit is locked down by an inertial dampening field, and then begins to move towards the central Ring Station, forming a ring around it. Light still acts normally and adheres to the speed of light, but radiation made up of larger particles like alpha and beta radiation does not exist inside the slow zone.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 24, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those covers are bad

I rather listen to Martian music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Belter rap is where's it at koyo.