Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Komi-san Can't Communicate is a story-based 4koma about Komi-san, a beautiful girl who has a communication disorder.

Mangadex link
Kissmanga link

But, it is, actually about her issues with talking to people, and being pressured into being the Perfect Goddess Of School by everyone else even though she just wants to live a normal daily life. This is a story about people's expectations. It's a story about archetypes cranked up to 11. It's a story about two goofballs who should just get together already, goddammit. It's a story where every character is at least fun if not fantastic(outside of one glaring exception), and as far as comedy goes, it tends to nail it far more often than it misses. It's one that makes you want to root for everyone.

Characters from the first couple "arcs"! Every single character is some sort of archetype but dialed way up until the dial snapped off, but most are still great!

Komi-san - the main character, who has severe trouble talking to people, often freezing up entirely or having to communicate almost exclusively via writing on a notebook. She is seen as an icon of beauty and perfection by other people, but she just wants to make friends and be normal. A good example of the "cool beauty" archetype. Fairly rarely seen in her beautiful "normal" form, most often seen as, well,

Tadano - The everyman. The one so normal and standard he's practically invisible. But he's pretty good at reading people, and helps Komi-san with her people trouble when he can. A good if a tad oblivious dude.

Najimi - Queen/king of best friends and is EVERYONE'S childhood friend. Also the chief mischief maker. Last name might as well be Shenanigans.

Yamai - Yandere stalker. Literally such a terrible and creepy character I almost stopped reading the series due to her but was encouraged to push past the few chapters early on that focused on her since she's mostly a bit character past her introduction. I'll say it too: make it past her poo poo, it's short and the rest of the series is worth it.

Yadano - competitive at EVERYTHING.

Agari - Socially inept(not as bad as komi) but switches into analytical genius mode when talking about food.

and many more. Komi wants a hundred friends, after all!

And now, the rest of the post is more cute komi pictures.

https://i.imgur.com/LHE4qtC.mp4

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I guess unicode doesn't work in thread titles, I suppose suggest some alternate titles that aren't the Komi-face I was trying to make ⦚⦚ ( ⬤) . ( ⬤) ⦚⦚

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPBmDptqlQ

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
no najimi romance no sale

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Najimi transcends romance.

Also put this in the OP it's important information.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

lol I guess unicode doesn't work in thread titles, I suppose suggest some alternate titles that aren't the Komi-face I was trying to make ⦚⦚ ( ⬤) . ( ⬤) ⦚⦚

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPBmDptqlQ

"Why do I grow cat ears?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DisDisDis posted:

Najimi is for everyone, no one man/woman can pin him/her down.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Najimi is for everyone, no one man/woman can pin him/her down.

Komi can do it I believe in her

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I am glad that this thread exists. Komi-san is a good girl, and so is Tadano-kun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also, new chapter

one of the funnier ones in a while, I like Manbagi a lot even though she's doomed to rejection hell

these two pages got me real good, A: because komi-mom rarely does the komi-face, B: it's a good followup gag, and C: I always laugh when Komi is generally fine but starts vibrating in the fourth panel

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Tadano - The everyman. The one so normal and standard he's practically invisible. But he's pretty good at reading people, and helps Komi-san with her people trouble when he can. A good if a tad oblivious dude.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I guess I should really try to get over the whole Yamai part huh

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's weird that Komi is almost as old as her mom, but that's how it is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

boredsatellite posted:

I guess I should really try to get over the whole Yamai part huh
If that's where you stopped then yes, please do. She super sucks and has maybe two decent appearances in the entire series, but she gets SIGNIFICANTLY toned down and backgrounded for the most part after the initial really loving creepy introduction for her. Author probably got told off by an editor about the whole literal kidnapping and threatened murder poo poo, it really didn't fit the tone of the rest of it. Shame she didn't get put on a bus or anything, but at least there's so many other good characters it drowns her out most of the time.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah that's where I stopped because I was like what the gently caress I do not like the direction the manga is going.

If she got toned down heavily then I should try picking it up again

I was so loving weirded out when the whole kidnapping poo poo happened

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll decide who to be friends with

except yamai kept fuckin' hanging around after that and kinda became komi's friend by default

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
komi is an anime girl moomin

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Came for the unicode.
Stayed for the

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Make it :catstare:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thanks for making this thread! I see this manga in bookstores all the time and the cover art is really pretty but I had no idea what the content would be like so I never looked into it any further. This looks super cute and funny and I am intrigued.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Manbagi is making a serious run at "best second-season character ever introduced."

Also, I'unno if I'm misinterpreting, but it seems sometimes like Najimi actually likes Tadano and is passive-aggressively trying to torpedo his deepening relationship with Komi. Or maybe s/he's just the human avatar of chaos. Either or.

e: Incidentally, if you got the the Yamai bit and stopped before, you can actually skip chapters 23-26 (the kidnapping arc) and not really miss anything. Just know that she only goes that far once, actually seems to learn her lesson, and becomes a benign insane creepy stalker afterward.

Mirage fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 24, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

die, fool boy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't get the joke with Najimi at the physical exam why can't their scores be calculated

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DisDisDis posted:

I don't get the joke with Najimi at the physical exam why can't their scores be calculated

Boys and girls have different scoring standards. A 10 for girls might just be an 8 for boys.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mirage posted:

Manbagi is making a serious run at "best second-season character ever introduced."

Also, I'unno if I'm misinterpreting, but it seems sometimes like Najimi actually likes Tadano and is passive-aggressively trying to torpedo his deepening relationship with Komi. Or maybe s/he's just the human avatar of chaos. Either or.

e: Incidentally, if you got the the Yamai bit and stopped before, you can actually skip chapters 23-26 (the kidnapping arc) and not really miss anything. Just know that she only goes that far once, actually seems to learn her lesson, and becomes a benign insane creepy stalker afterward.

komi is very careful to never be alone with yamai

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mirage posted:

Boys and girls have different scoring standards. A 10 for girls might just be an 8 for boys.

I really like the fact that the manga just completely refuses to define Najimi's gender. Opinions on the whole "he/she" stylistic choice aside (and that one isolated "he/she/it" which was loving weird and thankfully never repeated) I'm glad that the writer hasn't done a "Oh, but Najimi's really a $gender" arc, even in situations like this where IRL it would probably get given away by the school. Leaving it entirely unspecified feels really loving validating, and that makes me happy. :hai:

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Can we please use they/them pronouns for Najimi, at least in this thread? The he/she thing is just... not good.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The translator may not get that they can use they/them, unfortunately (or didn't get it at the time I don't remember how they've been handled in the past few chapters)

I wonder if they just don't use pronouns at all in the japanese.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Astro Ambulance posted:

Can we please use they/them pronouns for Najimi, at least in this thread? The he/she thing is just... not good.

Agreed. Its just lame and stupid.

Everyone who did this in the thread should apologize to Najimi RIGHT NOW or I am going to kick your rear end!!1

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

havenwaters posted:

The translator may not get that they can use they/them, unfortunately (or didn't get it at the time I don't remember how they've been handled in the past few chapters)

I wonder if they just don't use pronouns at all in the japanese.

Afaik third person pronouns in japanese are not gendered.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I like the thread title how it is

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah after I PM'd you I realized it kinda fits :v:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Someone linked a couple pages of this in the pretty anon IRC channel were I used to lurk waiting for new Jitsu wa Watashi wa chapters and I ended up reading it all over a couple weeks.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Between this, Mousou Telepathy and Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To we're in a golden age of "idiots teens can't interact properly".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And tomochan

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Considering the fact that some progress has been made in Mousou Telepathy and Komi has been able to forge a good number of meaningful friendships, Tomo-chan is just kinda sad at this point

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There has been plenty of progress in tomochan.

Just not for tomo.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Otome Danshi is so far the fastest moving and also only good daily romcom

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

I didn't expect to like Narcissist dude, but this entire scene was amazing. It helps that he's also paired up with one of the funniest background characters, Narration Box dude.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tadano was once Narration Box Dude, until the Actual Narration Box Dude got introduced.

Katai is surprisingly way more fun than he initially seemed, which was just Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4 without the sewing prowess. But he's since been a great background character, and now that he's literally right there amongst tadano, komi and manbagi, I expect much more shenanigans from him.

I also like how the author is setting up future characters, such as the girl who's wearing knight armor, she's been appearing for like a hundred chapters in the background of a lot of scenes but you never see her face.