Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I really am impressed that the game has 3 weapons that all fill completely different niches and aren't samey at all and are all very satisfying and powerful-feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Mimir just told me to check my gear, that means I'm about to enter the final mission right? :smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shut up blegum posted:

Mimir just told me to check my gear, that means I'm about to enter the final mission right? :smith:

Yes, if you do that objective you won't be able to return to exploring/sidequests until you finish the campaign. After that you can return to doing whatever.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

haveblue posted:

Yes, if you do that objective you won't be able to return to exploring/sidequests until you finish the campaign. After that you can return to doing whatever.

Sad to see my journey is about to come to an end...

In the meantime, I decided to check out that one heim with all the arenas, can't remember the name right now. Anyway, the one challenge with the elite night elf is kicking my rear end. I've bee so close so many times, but in the end he suddenly summons 4 other elves and I'm totally in the dark and aaaargghhhh.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
^^^That'd be Muspelheim, the Realm of Fire, from whence all the stars and cosmos were formed :black101:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really am impressed that the game has 3 weapons that all fill completely different niches and aren't samey at all and are all very satisfying and powerful-feeling.

Best part is that I use them ALL.

In GoW3, I don't recall ever using the Claws of Hades or the Nemesis Whip after the tutorial sections, but the axe, the Blades of Chaos and bare fists/shield combat all feel incredibly satisfying in almost every situation. There's a very visceral feeling you get when you pound the crap out of an enemy with your fists, even late in the game, and that feeling was never present in any of the other games.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Actually you can continue your journey after the checking gear thing, it just leads into a boss fight. After that you can dick around if you want but the next objective will be the end of the game so you may as well just finish it and do the rest of your side stuff in the post game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

Actually you can continue your journey after the checking gear thing, it just leads into a boss fight. After that you can dick around if you want but the next objective will be the end of the game so you may as well just finish it and do the rest of your side stuff in the post game.

When do you get to do that? If you call Jormugandr at that point, you have to enter his mouth. And then you're locked into the final Baldur fight, and then you're forced to return to the Temple of Tyr, and then you're forced to go to Jotunheim. Which of that am I wrong about?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
If you have trouble killing enemies fast enough in Muspelheim, just switch to bare handed and punch them. The shoulder ram with the shield and the R2 concussion blast afterwards are so loving useful.

I had trouble doing some missions, but now I just punch them till they pop the R3 prompt. What else is really cool, throwing the axe, running up to them to punch them, do the R2 shield thing, press and hold L2 to summon the axe with R2 and do a really nice overhead swing. It is a thing of beauty.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

When do you get to do that? If you call Jormugandr at that point, you have to enter his mouth. And then you're locked into the final Baldur fight, and then you're forced to return to the Temple of Tyr, and then you're forced to go to Jotunheim. Which of that am I wrong about?

I seem to recall being able to do w/e I want between killing Baldur and going to Jotunheim but I could be misremembering how open that segment is since I just went to the end of the game right away, myself. But it didn't seem like it was forcing you to go anywhere?

idk I haven't played it since I beat it launch week lmao

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I didn't try to do anything much after killing Baldur but the game didn't indicate that I couldn't.

Anyway just beat it and decided that Muspelheim can gently caress off so the Valkyries won't get done, so I'm done now. Game was great. Could've done with at least one more giant enemy to kill though. I like killing giant enemies. I suppose that's the nature of Norse gods though - they're mostly just dudes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

I seem to recall being able to do w/e I want between killing Baldur and going to Jotunheim but I could be misremembering how open that segment is since I just went to the end of the game right away, myself. But it didn't seem like it was forcing you to go anywhere?

I thought I remembered something about the fast travel network being rigged so that going back to the hub was the only possible choice but I could be wrong about that. Maybe someone who loves the game so much that they're on 1.95 playthroughs right now can try this and report back.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I didn't try to do anything much after killing Baldur but the game didn't indicate that I couldn't.

Anyway just beat it and decided that Muspelheim can gently caress off so the Valkyries won't get done, so I'm done now. Game was great. Could've done with at least one more giant enemy to kill though. I like killing giant enemies. I suppose that's the nature of Norse gods though - they're mostly just dudes.

I don't remember specifically, but that would be funny.

Hey Dad. Mom's ashes aren't going anywhere, and Baldur's dead. He won't bother us anymore. Why don't we explore?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I have beaten the entire main story and am on the last Valkyrie and literally just figured out the R3 lock-on. Don't know how I missed it or somehow managed to never even do it by accident until now but it does help on the Valkyries when they're the only enemy you need to target. You lose it when they fly off-screen for certain attacks but generally it helps a lot, especially when you're in rage mode and swinging around wildly, since it will drag you toward them.

There is a tutorial for the hard lock on right at the start, I think it's the first fight against Draugr where there are more than one at a time. That said, I found it super frustrating and much easier to ignore lock on all together which made the game a lot easier in my opinion. Even the guide for GMGOW says to not use the lock on because learning the weapon distances properly, as well as aiming between enemies to hit more than one at a time are key skills needed to get better at the game. Lock on removes your ability to fine tune where your attacks land.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just finished it. I enjoyed every minute of it. Felt like there’s a lot of content left out there though.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

There is a tutorial for the hard lock on right at the start, I think it's the first fight against Draugr where there are more than one at a time. That said, I found it super frustrating and much easier to ignore lock on all together which made the game a lot easier in my opinion. Even the guide for GMGOW says to not use the lock on because learning the weapon distances properly, as well as aiming between enemies to hit more than one at a time are key skills needed to get better at the game. Lock on removes your ability to fine tune where your attacks land.

this...has made an immediate effect on my GMGOW file's progress this evening. I don't know why I didn't turn it off sooner once I got a handle on the controls. I feel stupid for the amount of time I spent dying in that elevator portion while ascending the mountain playing on my original playthrough

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

this...has made an immediate effect on my GMGOW file's progress this evening. I don't know why I didn't turn it off sooner once I got a handle on the controls. I feel stupid for the amount of time I spent dying in that elevator portion while ascending the mountain playing on my original playthrough

Leviathans Wake

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
...aaaaaaaaaaaaand for the little fart?

Never change, Brok.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Playing Nilfheim now, gently caress it is annoying. Not only do you have to keep an eye out for the mist, but the Revenants are so, so annoying. Is the Ivaldi armour worth it?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Playing Nilfheim now, gently caress it is annoying. Not only do you have to keep an eye out for the mist, but the Revenants are so, so annoying. Is the Ivaldi armour worth it?

Yes, unless you're real good at killing valkyries and even then you need nifl stuff to upgrade.

You can just run to the next room if you don't like an encounter btw.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of the cheaper chests in the Niflheim room gives out a charm that greatly increases your resistance to the mist, enough to make a full run of the four rooms without dying even with just 1-2 pieces of Ivaldi armor.

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010
Are the already discovered hidden doors (the ones opened with the chisel) somehow visible on the map ? I could swear I've got a "location added to the map" notification every time I approached a new one...

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Can someone give me some tips to defeat dark elfs? They evade most of my ground attacks, no idea if they're more vulnerable to fire or to frost damage, should boy shoot light arrows or shock arrows? Basically, how do I destroy them the fastest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Use light arrows, punch them in the face and R3.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh yeah they're dark elves. Makes sense that light arrows gently caress them up :downsgun:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

light arrows gently caress everything up. don't underestimate the power of stun in this game

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

Can someone give me some tips to defeat dark elfs? They evade most of my ground attacks, no idea if they're more vulnerable to fire or to frost damage, should boy shoot light arrows or shock arrows? Basically, how do I destroy them the fastest.

When they go in the air, have Atreu shoot them with arrows. I saw someone do that, I always thought I needed the axe to break up this attack.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

As I'd only ever played Chains of Olympus on PSP I'm currently working my way through the series before playing the new one. Finished the first game, am about to start GOW2 and have GOW3 remaster queued up on my PS4.

Want to know if it's worth picking up Ascension or not? It's got its defenders but the critical reaction seems pretty muted.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

esperterra posted:

haveblue posted:

I thought I remembered something about the fast travel network being rigged so that going back to the hub was the only possible choice but I could be wrong about that. Maybe someone who loves the game so much that they're on 1.95 playthroughs right now can try this and report back.

I can 100% confirm that you are not locked at that point. After Killing Baldur, I didn't feel it was the end-boss, so I went and did a bunch of gearing up in Muspelheim/Niflheim and other preparation for what I felt would be the final boss fight before going into Jotenheim. It was a bit of a letdown for me that there wasn't one, but that's kind of my own fault. My co-worker apparently felt the same way, too. The fast travel gates are largely not working, correct, however you can still manually go anywhere and they work in Muspelheim.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Alright. Defeated the elf.
Next trial is killing enemies inside a golden ring. That's annoying too. I should probably wrap up the story before I burn myself out on these challenges.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The ring challenge is pretty easy, and fun. Boars are great for it because they keep all the bad guys in the ring long enough to land a full duration Frost Giant Frenzy. Also if you grab a dude for the kill it doesn't count where you initiated it, only if they were inside the ring when they died.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

exquisite tea posted:

The ring challenge is pretty easy, and fun. Boars are great for it because they keep all the bad guys in the ring long enough to land a full duration Frost Giant Frenzy. Also if you grab a dude for the kill it doesn't count where you initiated it, only if they were inside the ring when they died.

Sure about that last part? Because I grabbed a couple of elves and impaled them and chucked them far away and it didn't seem to register as killed inside the circle.
Will try boars though, so far I've only used the ravens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah that's what I said!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh yeah I read the opposite thing :downs:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The important thing for the ring is to freeze enemies with the axe if you can and also keep the ring in between you and the enemy

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

glad she is dead posted:

As I'd only ever played Chains of Olympus on PSP I'm currently working my way through the series before playing the new one. Finished the first game, am about to start GOW2 and have GOW3 remaster queued up on my PS4.

Want to know if it's worth picking up Ascension or not? It's got its defenders but the critical reaction seems pretty muted.

Ascension is a solid title. It looks good (for the time) and I think it plays pretty good. The thing is it wasn't a game that really needed to exist. No one was clamoring for yet another prequel and it didn't really add anything to the series. It also had multiplayer that no one played. Entirely forgettable, but if you get it for like 10 bucks you could do worse.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate that I nitpick the game because it's easily my game of the year (so far anyway) and half the time it sounds like I hate it or think down on it or something.

Honestly for the sequel my wishlist is
-Do away with enemy levels and your gear levels. They really didn't add anything and since lower areas always scale to you I didn't really see a point to it other than to be mildly frustrating

-Lower the amount of runic stuff/chests. A lot of them felt like the same thing with a slightly different flavor and from what I've seen from my own time and the various LPs or videos nobody really cycles them. It's usually one of the axe tosses or the big aoe slam. I'd also prefer if the unique monsters had the runics on them so you'd see it get used on you, and would
A) Cut down on the 10 million chests in the game
B) Give me a reason to fight the same generic zombos that are everywhere

-Better bosses. I only really liked the opening one and the fight to get the ice pick was alright I guess.

-Pull the camera back further so I don't have to resort to hearing the boy or mimir screaming to know that something is coming or some vague as hell arrows. Getting killed by stuff off screen will never, never feel fair no matter how many warning lights you tape to a screen.

-More enemy types and R3 variety would be nice.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sounds like you want god of war 3

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have never been one of those “I want to play as a bare-fisted monk in an RPG” guys but I have to say I was really impressed to see a bare-fisted fighting style be legitimately competitive with weapons in a game for once. Feels good to beat the crap out of fools with your hands while also knowing that you’re not wasting your time being inefficient.

Let this be a lesson for other developers. Turns out literally all you need to do is increase the damage output of “fists.” Who knew!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hate that I nitpick the game because it's easily my game of the year (so far anyway) and half the time it sounds like I hate it or think down on it or something.

Honestly for the sequel my wishlist is
-Do away with enemy levels and your gear levels. They really didn't add anything and since lower areas always scale to you I didn't really see a point to it other than to be mildly frustrating

-Lower the amount of runic stuff/chests. A lot of them felt like the same thing with a slightly different flavor and from what I've seen from my own time and the various LPs or videos nobody really cycles them. It's usually one of the axe tosses or the big aoe slam. I'd also prefer if the unique monsters had the runics on them so you'd see it get used on you, and would
A) Cut down on the 10 million chests in the game
B) Give me a reason to fight the same generic zombos that are everywhere

-Better bosses. I only really liked the opening one and the fight to get the ice pick was alright I guess.

-Pull the camera back further so I don't have to resort to hearing the boy or mimir screaming to know that something is coming or some vague as hell arrows. Getting killed by stuff off screen will never, never feel fair no matter how many warning lights you tape to a screen.

-More enemy types and R3 variety would be nice.

The Valkyries are pretty cool boss fights. I like when you are up against someone your own size and you just need to do better than them. Huge rear end bosses just confuse things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For how little boss fights there are in this game, I'm reminded of GoW1 ... didn't it only have like 3 or so boss fights? I wonder if that was on purpose. I expect it to ramp up more as the series goes on.