Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for addressing the 69 issue, something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018
Just wanted to pop in really quick and say great job with the beards, cube and the new zone something. The game is great.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Thanks for all the goon love.

For a quick sneak peak of .384 I'm mainly going back and addressing like 50 minor little issues that have built up over the last weeks. Things like bugs, fixing miscommunication in-game on how things work, stuff like that. I also made a server side update checker that's run every hour and alert you with a popup if there's a new build you can refresh for. And 18 new achievements to get.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

something posted:

Thanks for all the goon love.

For a quick sneak peak of .384 I'm mainly going back and addressing like 50 minor little issues that have built up over the last weeks. Things like bugs, fixing miscommunication in-game on how things work, stuff like that. I also made a server side update checker that's run every hour and alert you with a popup if there's a new build you can refresh for. And 18 new achievements to get.
Speaking of bugs, are you aware that the stat breakdown for wandoos does not compute?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Do NGU Respawn and NGU Adventure change things significantly or are they more of a very late game upgrade? So far I'm focusing on Power > Augments > Gold

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samuringa posted:

Do NGU Respawn and NGU Adventure change things significantly or are they more of a very late game upgrade? So far I'm focusing on Power > Augments > Gold

Respawn is just a loot multiplier for non-Titan loot. It's up to you how much value you place on multiplying drops of non-Titan loot while farming on-line.

Adventure is a very small multiplier, so don't value it highly.

Augment is basically worth 1/5 of Power, so level it accordingly.

Gold has a very variable value because you are either gold limited or not (in which case you are stat limited).

Wandoos is good, but the multiplier is low.

My personal preference is Power > Respawn (to cap) > Augments > Wandoos > Adventure (to soft cap) > Gold

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Toshimo posted:

Respawn is just a loot multiplier for non-Titan loot. It's up to you how much value you place on multiplying drops of non-Titan loot while farming on-line.

Adventure is a very small multiplier, so don't value it highly.

Augment is basically worth 1/5 of Power, so level it accordingly.

Gold has a very variable value because you are either gold limited or not (in which case you are stat limited).

Wandoos is good, but the multiplier is low.

My personal preference is Power > Respawn (to cap) > Augments > Wandoos > Adventure (to soft cap) > Gold

Some of these are foul lies. Adventure is probably the most valuable NGU because it lets you push into zones faster. Higher zone = more stats, more gold (and more gold means better augs and more blood) I've almost got mine to the soft cap and it's pretty much the only way you can take down UGG and get beards. Beards are AMAZINGLY GOOD.

There's basically no such thing as gold-limited or stat-limited. You are always gold-limited unless you already have enough gold production to invest all your magic in the highest blood magic ritual. Which you won't, because time machine doesn't scale up well enough past a certain point and if you've got the stats to get the time machine high enough, you've also got the stats to spend that gold faster in blood magic. More gold = always good.

Augments are a multiplier to your attack and defense, which means it multiplies your gains from the Power NGU as well! It's not that it's 1/5 as good as Power it's that they feed into each other and should be kept up together. As an example, going from 400 to 500 NGU Power is a 25% increase. Going from 100 to 300 Augments (which is actually about the same time investment) is a 100% increase in power (going from 2x to 4x).

Wandoos is only good much later when you have 50m+ energy. There's a cap to Wandoos speed just like everything else, and eventually you want it fast enough that you either cap it with a fraction of your E/M caps, or switch to Wandoos MEH when it comes time in your run to level it.

Respawn is only useful when it's cheap to get. It's actually not great if you can only barely idle-farm a zone because it's actually less regen time! That's an edge case though. Fortunately, it caps at 400 which is pretty easy to do down the line.

From the look of the screenshot, you're not super deep into NGU territory. Eventually you'll be getting these numbers into the hundreds and they make a huge difference. For now it's more of a "leave it on overnight" thing because it's better than getting maybe one more boss from running augs or wandoos all night.

Eventually, the XP from rebirthing isn't that great compared to just auto-farming titans, so a good run becomes one where you push to your boss limit and chill for a day to level beards and NGU.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I appear to be having an issue with ngu that I can't get to repeat, but I've bought 10k magic twice now and am still only at 20k...I saved last night, and just went in this morning, back down to 10k...reloaded my save and it's 20k again. Is it me (since idle games seem to hate me right now) or is there something else going on? I often come on and think 'didn't I already buy that?' happy to send over a save but I guess I need to make a note of what I have before saving each time so I can compare the next day >.<

(I've also generally lost progress - there've been times when I haven't done a manual save and I've switched off my pc, when I've come back I'm not as far up as I remember being (like, adv.training's disappeared despite me knowing I put loads into it etc) wish I had a couple of saves where it was obvious so I could send them through >.<)

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 21, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Trimps:

Just hit tier 4 mastery, is hyperspeed, blacksmithery, or headstart 3 the best first pick? All three of them sound super sweet. I imagine it's probably headstart 3 since corruption is such a large amount of my helium at this point.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hyperspeed is the biggest speed boost, while blacksmithery significantly reduces the amount of micromanaging you have to do each run. headstart should be third regardless of which you pick first

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

For now it's more of a "leave it on overnight" thing because it's better than getting maybe one more boss from running augs or wandoos all night.

That's exactly what I'm doing :v:

DarkRaziel420
Jul 5, 2008
Realm Grinder:

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Depending on what reincarnation you're up to, it might be an issue with the most recent update adding more Dragon stuff in A2, so it thinks you haven't gotten everything that you need.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
NGU: I can now automatically kill GRB without Adv. Training or stats Accessories :stoked:

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

Kluliss posted:

I appear to be having an issue with ngu that I can't get to repeat, but I've bought 10k magic twice now and am still only at 20k...I saved last night, and just went in this morning, back down to 10k...reloaded my save and it's 20k again. Is it me (since idle games seem to hate me right now) or is there something else going on? I often come on and think 'didn't I already buy that?' happy to send over a save but I guess I need to make a note of what I have before saving each time so I can compare the next day >.<

(I've also generally lost progress - there've been times when I haven't done a manual save and I've switched off my pc, when I've come back I'm not as far up as I remember being (like, adv.training's disappeared despite me knowing I put loads into it etc) wish I had a couple of saves where it was obvious so I could send them through >.<)

If you are playing on multiple computers, the game will load the local file before the online save.

So basically make sure you do an online save every time you stop playing, and an online load every time you start playing.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

peepsalot posted:

Speaking of bugs, are you aware that the stat breakdown for wandoos does not compute?

Yep, that's fixed. I forgot that the formula for the OS level bonus had a /25 divider in it. Oops.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I don't know what feels worse, the spell tier wall in RG or glass ceilings in Sandcastle Builder. At least I'm done with both now. (At least I assume I'm done with spell tiers, I left if offline for like two weeks)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Nibble posted:

I don't know what feels worse, the spell tier wall in RG or glass ceilings in Sandcastle Builder. At least I'm done with both now. (At least I assume I'm done with spell tiers, I left if offline for like two weeks)

I kind of liked the ceilings, and the game explodes for a while shortly after.

I'm now stuck in the post-castle slog that is slowly grinding up AA/PC and have backburnered most of my playtime for NGU.

Spell tiers were stupid. They weren't even around the last time I took a break so I got gem grinder/faceless for free but essentially taking a few weeks off to max them all was suuuuuuper boring and bad.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
RG is fun at first but at some point - around the time you begin using the Mercenaries - it turns into a "Ok, now you're going to do this exact build until you unlock this Achievement that'll make you 0.0001% more gold then rebirth" and then you unlock Research at it gets worse

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Samuringa posted:

RG is fun at first but at some point - around the time you begin using the Mercenaries - it turns into a "Ok, now you're going to do this exact build until you unlock this Achievement that'll make you 0.0001% more gold then rebirth" and then you unlock Research at it gets worse

RG is such a pain to goddamn play. The optimal way to play it is to use short-term builds that last for maybe 10 minutes. One build from 0 gems to like, 33, one build from 33 gems to like, 90, then another build past that. Every abdication consists of the exact same thing as the previous one - picking your faction, picking your lineage, picking your research build, setting up autocasting for spells and spell tiers, picking your mercenary build.. and if you misclick on any of those, you might as well just abdicate again and restart.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
It definitely shows the age it came from. The "build a list of buildings and get upgrades like cookie clicker" style game is pretty dated in the genre, but it is the best at what it does. It probably helps that I've been pretty close to endgame for most of the development cycle now, where long builds really shine. 3-4 setup runs per R, then 3-4 day+ runs gets me to the next one.

They're dropping the ball with A2 though. 3 major patches out and you get like 15 Rs worth of "content", most of which is garbage savescumming for artifacts and waiting for ss7

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Numberwang posted:

If you are playing on multiple computers, the game will load the local file before the online save.

So basically make sure you do an online save every time you stop playing, and an online load every time you start playing.

sadly I'm only on one pc so it's not that...It seems happier in its own window, perhaps chrome's just being a pain.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Eldercain posted:

They're dropping the ball with A2 though. 3 major patches out and you get like 15 Rs worth of "content", most of which is garbage savescumming for artifacts and waiting for ss7

I'm at R111 and it's a huge slog. It's incredibly boring and I can't even muster thinking about getting the rest of the artifact sets. Maybe I'll wait until proper builds are up on NAW, or maybe I'll close the tab and start playing SwarmSim again. At least that's got numbers getting satisfyingly huge very fast.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah I'm really digging how hands off NGU can be. I don't like short runs and my shortest NGU runs tend to be 30 minutes, of which very little is clicking and I don't even beat myself up if I don't actively manage it.

Trimps is also aces but at this point I'm addicted to auto trimps and I don't think I'd want to play without it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Pylons posted:

RG is such a pain to goddamn play. The optimal way to play it is to use short-term builds that last for maybe 10 minutes. One build from 0 gems to like, 33, one build from 33 gems to like, 90, then another build past that. Every abdication consists of the exact same thing as the previous one - picking your faction, picking your lineage, picking your research build, setting up autocasting for spells and spell tiers, picking your mercenary build.. and if you misclick on any of those, you might as well just abdicate again and restart.

I might be weird, but I actually kind of like the groove you get into with short-run builds. It's a nice feeling of progression when some mechanic that used to be the Hot New Thing you had to work towards is now just part of your routine.

Where it falls down is when you're forced to do the same routine for too long. The game is at its best when it introduces new mechanics that recontextualize what came before it, making new choices be optimal or at least viable.

The loop of discovering a new mechanic -> slowly unlocking pieces of that mechanic -> mastering that mechanic and getting comfortable with it -> unlocking another new mechanic is very satisfying, but too long between new mechanics and it starts feeling like a slog. Looking ahead, from R61 to R76 it's the same formula of Dragtan to Dragless ad nauseam, and that just sounds awfully boring to me.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
And post a2 it's druid -> druid -> druid with a lineage swap essentially until you do some 3+ week grinds that require ~r115 to even have the money for the build. An r takes like a week or more for me and I'm at 112 and thought maybe there would be any relevant content, but there's nothing to help this slog so I'm about to close it again and wait until the next patch.

Added more set artifacts my rear end, take down the hourglass price

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Trimps:

Does headstart actually do anything at all if you're doing a corruption challenge? Since it corrupts everything post 60 anyway.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

In RG, absolutely everyone hates artifacts and they keep making them more and more obnoxious to get. I just don't understand the rationale.

You literally need to use tools made by other players to get them because they require you to micromanage RNG values that the game doesn't even surface. It's just so baffling.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zokari posted:

In RG, absolutely everyone hates artifacts and they keep making them more and more obnoxious to get. I just don't understand the rationale.

You literally need to use tools made by other players to get them because they require you to micromanage RNG values that the game doesn't even surface. It's just so baffling.

I quit shortly after they were added since I got zero and the only way to get them is basically save scumming.

Just the wrong direction entirely. It's a bit like making a game assuming people are going to use an auto clicker and balancing around that. So glad idle games dropped spamming click for the most part.

Only in RG it's more obnoxious since you need to use a third party roll when auto clicking is so simple to make on your own.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Remember when the devs were banning him and people who advocated his tool from chat?

How in the everloving gently caress else are you supposed to be able to get something that with a weeklong buildup still has a .0001% chance of happening other than scumming your pseudorandom generator? Let people game the way you code because it's gonna happen, and if they break one thing just make something past it for them to gently caress with instead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Eldercain posted:

Remember when the devs were banning him and people who advocated his tool from chat?

How in the everloving gently caress else are you supposed to be able to get something that with a weeklong buildup still has a .0001% chance of happening other than scumming your pseudorandom generator?

Buy lots of rubies for excavation resets. :pcgaming:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol if you buy rubies, that is what save editors are for.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
RG is also kind of... idk rubies feel a lot scummier than NGU AP does. Like one of the things I honestly adore about NGU is that I legitimately feel like I have a reasonable means to, over time, unlock everything that's in the AP shop without spending a dime. Hilariously, it's part of the reason I dropped :10bux: on the game.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Buy lots of rubies for excavation resets. :pcgaming:

Except then they went and added an artifact whose discovery is based on excavation resets without counting resets by ruby. That was the most insane thing about the latest set in my mind.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Agent355 posted:

Trimps:

Does headstart actually do anything at all if you're doing a corruption challenge? Since it corrupts everything post 60 anyway.

Nope. It's only good for accumulating more helium on non-corruption runs.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Agent355 posted:

Trimps:

The Corrupted challenge makes Corrupted cells start appearing at 61, but the "Improbabilities are worth x2 Helium" effect of the corruption still doesn't kick in until 181. The Headstart masteries make the x2 Helium apply at lower zones.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

nessin posted:

Except then they went and added an artifact whose discovery is based on excavation resets without counting resets by ruby. That was the most insane thing about the latest set in my mind.

I think I'm just going to cheat in all the artifact sets next monday. I'm so sick of this.

Meanwhile, SwarmSim is picking up nicely. Is the crystal->energy mechanic new or was that added a while back?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Swarmsim:

How much mutagen should I aim for having before my first ascension?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Klungar posted:

Swarmsim:

How much mutagen should I aim for having before my first ascension?

Go till ascending costs less than 50k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

dis astranagant posted:

Go till ascending costs less than 50k

I’m not sure what you mean by that.

I don’t see any cost here besides the Rocket Fuel I had to acquire.