Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

Earlier in the show, they showed two copies of the knife on the table. After, they only showed the one. I think this means Deke was blinked out of existence.
There's really no point in endlessly debating this.

He said he was leaving. He was gone and all his stuff was gone. Either he blinked out of existence or he made good on his word. Either way, we won't know until next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LividLiquid posted:

There's really no point in endlessly debating this.

He said he was leaving. He was gone and all his stuff was gone. Either he blinked out of existence or he made good on his word. Either way, we won't know until next year.

Look, we have a year to debate this. How dare you be logical?!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GreenNight posted:

They better do it quick because season 7 is already going to be canceled :negative:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

GreenNight posted:

This is going to be a very long year.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't see how they could waste screen time having a character introduce the multiverse theory to just be like nah, actually he blinked out of existence. Either they find the budget and willpower to bring him back or we will never know what happened.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't see how they could waste screen time having a character introduce the multiverse theory to just be like nah, actually he blinked out of existence. Either they find the budget and willpower to bring him back or we will never know what happened.

Unless Jeff Ward was an utter chore to work with, I think they'll bring him back for exactly that reason. A Deke Shaw from some alternate timeline ends up in theirs via whatever multidimensional hoodoo they introduce next season.

homullus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 24, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... they still have the Fear dimension thingie sitting in the basement, right? Sooner or later that thing is going to fail and the rift will open again, preferably at the most plot-inconvenient time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Dekes probably just hanging out with Wards dog

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

double nine posted:

... they still have the Fear dimension thingie sitting in the basement, right? Sooner or later that thing is going to fail and the rift will open again, preferably at the most plot-inconvenient time.

Sealed up permanently by quaking compressing the gravitonium device technobabble but who knows, maybe

homullus posted:

Unless Jeff Ward was an utter chore to work with, I think they'll bring him back for exactly that reason. A Deke Shaw from some alternate timeline ends up in theirs via whatever multidimensional hoodoo they introduce next season.

I just want him to put his mouth on Daisy's mouth and move it around, but in a respectful manner

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If they draw on anything from this season, I think we'll be seeing more of Kasius Senior, particularly now that Daisy's told him that she goes on to kill both his children one day. Throw in Deke's star maps, and the search for Fitz taking them back to space at least temporarily, and I think that's the natural next step for the show to travel down.

double nine posted:

At the time I figured that the fear dimension would somehow collide with Phobos reappearing this season, but he got lost in the shuffle before he got to do anything like that. But if they don't go with Kassius, I reckon they should definitely draw on the dimension stuff for next season.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The fate of Deke was intentionally played both ways. Like he told Daisy "I won't be here when you guys get back because I want to see the world" and they were actively stocking areas of the Lighthouse in case they failed and the word was split again.
But then Gemma entered what was probably Deke's room and he was gone, his hoarded stuff was gone, and his multitool was gone.

"Clearly this means he vanished," you say. But if him being erased would erase the stuff he hoarded, it would also erase all the other things he did, like provide the initial gravitonium to slow down the fear portal, and fix the wiring that one time, and read the characters on the alien spaceship so they could use the space vibrator to teleport away.

But how could he have cleared out his room that fast? Well, he wasn't working alone and he could have realized that if he was leaving, hoarding supplies was a dick move. So they spread them out.

They left it open so they can go either way next season. We'll see.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Seems weird that people are complaining that the show isn’t connected to the MCU. As far as I can tell, the ending of this season, as well as the news that the next one won’t be until after Avengers 4, basically guarantees that the resolution to the end of Infinity War involves time travel, and the “snap” will be made never to have happened. They don’t want to have an entire season, or part of one, that ends up completely removed from history due to the events of a film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deke can't be gone, he has to come back and tell everyone about theme parks.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seems weird that people are complaining that the show isn’t connected to the MCU. As far as I can tell, the ending of this season, as well as the news that the next one won’t be until after Avengers 4, basically guarantees that the resolution to the end of Infinity War involves time travel, and the “snap” will be made never to have happened. They don’t want to have an entire season, or part of one, that ends up completely removed from history due to the events of a film.

Yeah but that’s “connected” in a meta way outside of the shows logic. I don’t think anyone is expecting Thor to rock up at this point but having a few coy references feels like the movies just didn’t inform the show at all. I agree the time travel aspect puts them in a hard place however.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
At least Arrow and Flash have the Train to Oblivion they put characters on when its time for them to depart.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

They are still going to be hosed for s6 and MCU continuity unless the movie people tell them what happens in Avengers 4(they won't).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They are still going to be hosed for s6 and MCU continuity unless the movie people tell them what happens in Avengers 4(they won't).

No they won't. Talbot's motivation could have easily been anything else for the last three episodes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Well, regarding the ending of the season, they've claimed it simply ends before the events of Infinity War. But I do think you're likely correct - the snap will be undone, and the team will continue in the new timeline never having known what Thanos did.

What I wonder is, if this is indeed how it goes, would we ever get an Agents of S.N.A.P. comic that shows what happens to the team in the initial timeline? It could make for a cool alternate story, even if it was kinda doomed to just suddenly end with the events not mattering.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, regarding the ending of the season, they've claimed it simply ends before the events of Infinity War. But I do think you're likely correct - the snap will be undone, and the team will continue in the new timeline never having known what Thanos did.

What I wonder is, if this is indeed how it goes, would we ever get an Agents of S.N.A.P. comic that shows what happens to the team in the initial timeline? It could make for a cool alternate story, even if it was kinda doomed to just suddenly end with the events not mattering.

I guess that depends on if the marketing or finance guys’s algorithms tell them if it’ll be profitable or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They already tried a show inspired book. I think it lasted 8 issues.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Twenty-two issues actually, between the pre and post Secret Wars versions. I liked Waid's run, though it did have the issue with Daisy Johnson where they came up with a clunky reason for Coulson to call her Skye.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That's... not her name, though?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Of course it's not, that's why it's her nickname , like I said it was very clunky.

Using Kyle MacLachlan as the model for Zabo was a nice touch. Coulson winds up taking the Hyde formula and Fitz talks him down. It was a nice little series.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I feel like waiting out Infinity War is a bit silly. Statistically speaking it's entirely possible - probable, even! - that nobody from SHIELD gets hit by the snap, which in the meantime gives them plenty of things to do even if they're not relevant to the movies.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m going out on a limb and say they don’t even mention it. They have barely been a part of the MCU since like civil war.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
13 episodes doesn't leave them a lot of room for stuff that will be over and done with in the films. The Quest for Fitz is easily the first three episodes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m going out on a limb and say they don’t even mention it. They have barely been a part of the MCU since like civil war.
Uh, but they mentioned Thanos. Like, they could have just as easily not stuck their foot in it at all and claim that the finale was a month before IW, but they wrote it in there.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They mentioned Sokovia too and didn’t do anything with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

They mentioned Sokovia too and didn’t do anything with it.

Exactly.

I don’t know why people think that, other than an off handed comment or two, there will ever be any meaningful links to the MCU. It’s baffling and it will never happen. The Winter Soldier/Hydra intersection was it.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
This bunch of C-tier heroes staying off the radar of the Avengers and other world-killers is perfect theming when they're also actually doing a more efficient job of saving the world every year by being a low budget government agency. That aspect probably held up better a couple years ago but it still fits into this world better than Quake showing up to mildly annoy Thanos.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It would be nice to get a cameo or two for some movies but they seem to hate the TV division for some reason. Least Coulson will be in the Captain Marvel movie and maybe more but that’s only cause he was a movie actor before the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got Sif.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

R-Type posted:

At least Arrow and Flash have the Train to Oblivion they put characters on when its time for them to depart.

Excuse me but that "Train to Oblivion" is called DC's Legends of Tomorrow and it's the greatest show on television :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Excuse me but that "Train to Oblivion" is called DC's Legends of Tomorrow and it's the greatest show on television :colbert:

Patty got on the wrong train.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I'll never forgive The Flash for that one

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Patty got a job on Shooter and became a Instagram babe. She aiight

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So is it just me or is the front of the alien ship that Talbot crashed into Chicago lifted directly from Star Trek Voyager?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

We got Sif.

Skrull.

ANOTHER ONE WAY MOVIE TIE-IN, THANKS MARVEL.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bio347 posted:

I feel like waiting out Infinity War is a bit silly. Statistically speaking it's entirely possible - probable, even! - that nobody from SHIELD gets hit by the snap, which in the meantime gives them plenty of things to do even if they're not relevant to the movies.

That doesn't make any sense. Possible yes, probable? Of course not.

They mentioned Sokovia too and didn't do anything with it.

Yes they did. Inhumans signed the accords and got officially recognized by the government again and they even put an "Inhuman" in charge of a nationally recognized SHIELD again. Briefly. They already talked about Thanos happening. It's gonna be really awkward to open up next season with "Man, i'm glad that Thanos guy we mentioned several times left earth and nothing ever happened with that huh? That potentially could have been trouble, but it's not now, everything is perfectly okay! I guess Talbot died for nothing, oh well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Beyond a conversation or two, at most, there will be zero tangible impact of movie events. Just like all the other times except the Hydra reveal in season 1.

Even the episodes involving the government were all about *inhumans* and not any of the superheroes from the movies beyond oblique conversational references.