Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

CelticPredator posted:

humans are pretty stupid people tbh.

checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

Well, I mean, Cross was already outed as a shitbag, so that's not surprising for him, but for Bateman, Hale and Arnett to basically triple-team Walter and say, "Dude, whatever, shut up and get over it" is something that you don't exactly expect to see every day.

gently caress, what did Cross do? I know he's more than a little arrogant, but...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, what did Cross do? I know he's more than a little arrogant, but...

Harassed the poo poo out of a young Charlyne Li with "ching chong" language, then when she released her story, he suggested that she was mis-remembering what really happened, finishing it with a #Rashomon hashtag.

gently caress him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Timby posted:

Harassed the poo poo out of a young Charlyne Li with "ching chong" language, then when she released her story, he suggested that she was mis-remembering what really happened, finishing it with a #Rashomon hashtag.

gently caress him.

It got really interesting though, when his wife (Amber Tamblyn) got on twitter and said she believed Charlene.

I imagine poo poo was cold for a while in their household.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It got really interesting though, when his wife (Amber Tamblyn) got on twitter and said she believed Charlene.

What got me, I think, was that it was the same gaslighting bullshit that Dan Harmon pulled when Megan Ganz publicly said that he had made her life hell while working on Community; Harmon's initial response was along the lines of, "Well, I'll apologize, but you have to say precisely what I did," basically daring her to re-live the experience in exchange for him graciously deigning to deliver an apology. They latter reached something of a rapprochement--to an extent, anyway, with Ganz saying she forgave him--but it was still manipulative bullshit, and Cross ending that post with "#Rashomon" was some new level of bullshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harmon talked about that whole thing on his podcast, and gave out a 7 minute apology for his actions. That’s why she forgave him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, at least with Harmon you get the impression that he's ultra damaged and he was adult enough to own what he did. Cross was a defiant prick about it. I was so disappointed, Cross's standup albums are amongst my favorite ever. And I love Mr.Show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Harmon talked about that whole thing on his podcast, and gave out a 7 minute apology for his actions. That’s why she forgave him.

... okay, but his initial response was still supremely manipulative gaslighting bullshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fair but I just felt you left out a big gap.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Timby posted:

It's not sexual assault, but this interview with the Arrested Development cast is pretty horrifying, particularly Jason Bateman repeatedly talking over Jessica Walter, who was in tears recalling Jeffrey Tambor berating the poo poo out of her, telling her that it's just Hollywood and she should just deal with it.

That was so uncomfortable to read; she clearly wanted to talk about her experience but then you just had Bateman hissing "context" as many times as possible.
Awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

the escape goat posted:

That was so uncomfortable to read; she clearly wanted to talk about her experience but then you just had Bateman hissing "context" as many times as possible.
Awful.

Yeah, Bateman in particular comes across as a complete horse's rear end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m sure he’s right but he’s also a dick.

I have a weird love hate relationship with actors. They kinda creep me out sometimes while watching them work. I appreciate the dedication to the craft but holy hell are some of these people just so off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of Cross...

https://www.avclub.com/i-didn-t-do-myself-any-favors-david-cross-talks-raci-1826079181

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yikes.

Speaking of Cross, I remember that time he blew up because people were calling him on his tirades about lovely movies and TV, but then he appears in Alvin and the Chipmunks. That was fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of Cross, I remember that time he blew up because people were calling him on his tirades about lovely movies and TV, but then he appears in Alvin and the Chipmunks. That was fun.

I'll freely admit I've never been a fan of Cross--I think my first exposure to him was the original Men in Black, and then his bit in MiB2 was just intolerable--and I think both his attitude and his comedy style in general are incredibly smarmy and insincere (although, I think most comics will tell you that you have to be a broken person in order to be a comic), but that Charlyne Yi thing just soured me completely on him. He has such a ridiculously elevated sense of himself and "oh, I'm saying something stupid because it's ironic or I'm doing a bit" has never flown with me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like a full 50% of Cross' standup is him doing a funny "gay" voice.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
There's a really good part in the behind-the-scenes of Netflix's W/ Bob & David in the writer's room. Cross has a sketch idea about a kid who dies and comes back and writes a book about going to heaven. Cross seems more focused on talking about Jesus having a boyfriend and Odenkirk rightfully steers it to the funnier idea of everyone (Hitler, John Wayne Gacy) being allowed in Heaven.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Timby posted:

(although, I think most comics will tell you that you have to be a broken person in order to be a comic)

As someone who has met a lot of comedians, it's this. Comedy attracts broken people because if you're mostly normal your brain doesn't try to make fun of everything.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Man, I think a lot of these people don’t get that “I’m not a racist” is not some magic incantation that prevents you from saying or doing racist poo poo. I don’t think David Cross is a racist but boy fuckin’ howdy he said a racist thing and instead of apologizing and saying like, “hey, Charlene is right, I did a dumb thing that I did not intend to hurt people, but it did. I am sorry, I will do better”, and instead just asked us to trust that he was not a racist which in his mind excludes him from criticism.

You can have the best intentions in the world and still do something racist. Your intentions matter very little because we don’t know them and you could very well not be honest with us. Show us with actions and words that you are apologetic, it shouldn’t be that loving hard.

Also Amber Tamblyn is an angel. Both for doing what she does for #metoo and women more generally, and for putting up with Cross. He seems like a really bright, witty guy, but also totally unpleasant to be around.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's quite a prose poem you wrote up to confidently assert what's essentially a tall tale about Hitler having only one testicle.

I'm sure the man who has murdered people in cold blood, had people tortured, and locked up anyone who disagreed with him---I'm sure this man was the very model of an admirable feminist who always asked for consent.

No, you are wrong. And you are wrong (so blatantly wrong) and not being challenged for it in this thread which is overflowing with passion about this topic. Of course it's political. Just like when the despicably raped Paula Jones was "a bimbo" when it was politically convenient for some. Ansari is guilty of all sorts of things for having a power disparity because of the fact he's a not-that-widely known half-assed comic talent. And that's true to some extent. And what of the man who controls your life? What of the the glorious leader? There can be no consent, he was a violent rapist. Name one dictator who hasn't ended up being a rapist, I would be curious to hear your list.

Take your values and apply them or stand a hypocrite.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Barto posted:

I'm sure the man who has murdered people in cold blood, had people tortured, and locked up anyone who disagreed with him---I'm sure this man was the very model of an admirable feminist who always asked for consent.

No, you are wrong. And you are wrong (so blatantly wrong) and not being challenged for it in this thread which is overflowing with passion about this topic. Of course it's political. Just like when the despicably raped Paula Jones was "a bimbo" when it was politically convenient for some. Ansari is guilty of all sorts of things for having a power disparity because of the fact he's a not-that-widely known half-assed comic talent. And that's true to some extent. And what of the man who controls your life? What of the the glorious leader? There can be no consent, he was a violent rapist. Name one dictator who hasn't ended up being a rapist, I would be curious to hear your list.

Take your values and apply them or stand a hypocrite.

What on earth is going on in this post, I can make neither head nor tails of what you're talking about

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

What on earth is going on in this post, I can make neither head nor tails of what you're talking about

Fidel Castro was a violent rapist.
Could any woman he targeted give consent?
By the nature of consent as discussed many times in this thread no. No dictator can have consensual sex with their own subjects, that is the nature of being a dictator: a total power disparity. He fathered numerous children out of wedlock with his own ruled subjects and they, till this day, have no freedom to comment on it. An utter lack of consent. Earlier in the thread, someone suggested that Fidel Castro does not belong to a list of bad things associated with Errol Flynn. His human rights violations aside, since this is the sexual assault thread, the man was obviously, by definition, a violent rapist.

Trying to brush that aside is simply rape apologia.

You don't have to play stupid just because you're afraid of defending him directly, it's not fooling anyone at all.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm pretty sure that's James Comey posting.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

I'm pretty sure that's James Comey posting.

How do you define consent?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LesterGroans posted:

There's a really good part in the behind-the-scenes of Netflix's W/ Bob & David in the writer's room. Cross has a sketch idea about a kid who dies and comes back and writes a book about going to heaven. Cross seems more focused on talking about Jesus having a boyfriend and Odenkirk rightfully steers it to the funnier idea of everyone (Hitler, John Wayne Gacy) being allowed in Heaven.

that part stuck with me, too. odenkirk seems like a really great guy (knock wood) and the way he steered the sketch back to something that was actually funny instead of just shocking (and correctly criticizing cross' idea on those grounds) tells you a lot about their relative instincts and talent

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

It's not sexual assault, but this interview with the Arrested Development cast is pretty horrifying, particularly Jason Bateman repeatedly talking over Jessica Walter, who was in tears recalling Jeffrey Tambor berating the poo poo out of her, telling her that it's just Hollywood and she should just deal with it.

It's a little hard to judge this properly when you haven't seen or heard the actual incident of Tambor yelling at Walter. But goddamn, if your castmate is practically crying in the group interview recalling it, why don't you just turn to her and say "I didn't realize I hurt you so much and I'm really sorry, you obviously want to have a talk about this and get things off your chest, so let's do just that."

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s audio of that arrested development cast interview. It’s really loving brutal what happens. I can not believe how all four of the men in the room could collectively manage to be so hosed up. One hopes Michael cera, who wasn’t in the room, has a better head on his shoulders.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's Canadian so odds are kinda in his favour!

But he's from Ontario so maybe not ...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I wish I was more surprised by this, Arrested Development is a really mean-spirited show with a lot of mean-spirited comedians. Bateman's point about the cast becoming a "family" is interesting and of course true, and Shawkat directly abutting it with "but it's not right" is so great. At some point the industry (and other industries) will have to grapple directly with the fact that putting a bunch of people together to do one thing is going to cause problems because everyone's bringing all their fuckups to the table. There has to be some kind of systemic empathy and support happening and it'll be really interesting to see how that's approached.

new thread title: WALTER [THROUGH TEARS]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

davidspackage posted:

It's a little hard to judge this properly when you haven't seen or heard the actual incident of Tambor yelling at Walter. But goddamn, if your castmate is practically crying in the group interview recalling it, why don't you just turn to her and say "I didn't realize I hurt you so much and I'm really sorry, you obviously want to have a talk about this and get things off your chest, so let's do just that."

It's the audio that gets me. She is in tears, saying that she's never been treated like that by another person in nearly six decades of acting, and just doing pure victim mentality saying that she needs to get over it and realize that it happens, and you've got Bateman and Arnett and Hale egging her on, and Tambor's saying "you're right" like he accidentally bumped her in the hallway and made her spill her coffee.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Timby posted:

What got me, I think, was that it was the same gaslighting bullshit that Dan Harmon pulled when Megan Ganz publicly said that he had made her life hell while working on Community; Harmon's initial response was along the lines of, "Well, I'll apologize, but you have to say precisely what I did," basically daring her to re-live the experience in exchange for him graciously deigning to deliver an apology. They latter reached something of a rapprochement--to an extent, anyway, with Ganz saying she forgave him--but it was still manipulative bullshit, and Cross ending that post with "#Rashomon" was some new level of bullshit.

Eh... from what I remember, Harmon wanted her to lead the conversation because he didn't want to make anything public that she might not want public, and he didn't want to put any words in her mouth. Dude hosed up along the way but it seemed like he was genuinely trying to respect her right to tell the story her way, and he never denied or tried to equivocate any of what she said. As far as public apologies for being a shithead go, his was one of the better ones.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't particularly like Dan Harmon in general, but tbh with how much of a drunk mess he has a reputation of being, the way he handled the Ganz stuff I think was really well done overall. You would almost expect him to just make a mess of it, but he definitely did try to make sure she was leading the conversation and from what I listened to of his apology he sounded hella sincere.

If I were him I would be so drat ashamed of myself for being such a thirsty angry idiot. I get the feeling he feels pretty lovely about it, too. And that's the most important thing imho is showing remorse for lovely deeds.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

still in awe of jason bateman handwaving what happened with "what we do is incredibly complicated" to jessica walter, who has been on movie sets since 1964

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

That AD audio is really brutal, and really, really disappointing. Good work rallying the wagons around Tambor, idiots. That’s like making sure the silverware is polished on the Titanic.

Kind of want an interview with just Walter and Shawkat now, to be honest.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Bateman apologises (kind of): http://variety.com/2018/tv/global/jason-bateman-apology-jeffrey-tambor-jessica-walter-arrested-development-1202820825/

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Moses Farrow wrote an extremely long essay about Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, and the accusations.

http://mosesfarrow.blogspot.com.es/2018/05/a-son-speaks-out-by-moses-farrow.html

He'd made these kinds of statements before, but with little detail.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I actually like the words he used here, but I just wish he'd have said them somewhere like out in public and not just in a Twitter post. There's just something very shallow and artificial about a Twitter apology.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Basebf555 posted:

I actually like the words he used here, but I just wish he'd have said them somewhere like out in public and not just in a Twitter post. There's just something very shallow and artificial about a Twitter apology.

"I sound like I’m condoning yelling at work. I do not.
It sounds like I’m excusing Jeffery. I do not.
It sounds like I’m insensitive to Jessica. I am not."

I mean... he did do those things. You can't just say "it might SOUND like I'm doing this thing but I wasn't!!" to deflect criticism, just like Cross can't say "I'm not racist" to magically absolve himself from saying racist poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How many classic comedies have been tainted by the lovely people involved? Of all my favorite stuff: Arrested Development (Tambor and these jerkoffs), 30 Rock (Baldwin), Community (Harmon) and Seinfeld (Kramer). The Office is probably one of the only clean ones left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Simpsons and Futurama still seem safe from shittiness? I mean, along these dimensions I guess. It's Always Sunny also seems pretty low key, which is kinda weird considering the material.

Add Parks and Rec to the RIP list, too, although I guess that started by hiring Rob Lowe. The Office is half-tainted since one of their biggest moments (Jim and Pam's wedding) uses a Chris Brown song very prominently. I believe this was even after the Rihanna stuff.