Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then again they've also done DOTA 2 which is absurdly popular so maybe Half-Life just ran its course. :shrug:

I mean the only reason Dota gets updates is because icefrog, one of (the?) original dev(s) for the original Warcraft 3 mod still works on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Icefrog arrived to dota in 2005, about the same time/slightly after guinsoo and company had royally hosed the game. He was on their team, then they left, and so he got the keys to the kingdom and made dota a good game again.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I wonder what is going to happen to Campo Santo now that they've been bought by Valve. I do believe they will release Valley of the Gods after a reasonable dev cycle, but after that it's going to be interesting.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
In Soviet Russia, 3 matches you!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/857060/CCCP_CALLS/
-
E: I have no idea. I think you're an exorcist: https://store.steampowered.com/app/857480/Seirei/

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 22, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anime titties and Communism? Two great tastes that taste great together! :unsmigghh:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Parenthesis posted:

I wonder what is going to happen to Campo Santo now that they've been bought by Valve. I do believe they will release Valley of the Gods after a reasonable dev cycle, but after that it's going to be interesting.

Their artists will produce DOTA 2 items. Their writers will end up working on Artifact as quite a few game writers have.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Gromit posted:

Wasn't the conclusion posted by the writer as a text file, but with the names changed to protect the innocent IP?

Yes: Gordon and co find the Borealis which has become unstuck in time thanks to the experimental Aperture portal tech onboard, he fights across a bunch of set pieces on the ship as it jumps around, and then finally takes control of it and uses it as a bomb to destroy the Combine home world and end their invasion of earth. Time freezes and the G-Man shows up and says he doesn't need Gordon anymore and rescues Alyx while leaving him to die, the end. Even if it wasn't the end of the series it was the end of Gordon and any future games would have probably had Alyx as the protagonist and be completely different.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
You’ve got the ending bit wrong, in a big way.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Apparently hashtag waifu holocaust is over.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I was told thirdhand that chan denizens came to the conclusion that this "scandal" was prearranged by people who were migrating to one of the competing platforms that specializes in adult games. Giant block of salt on that though, given its source. I'm still waiting to hear word from Valve.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the waifu holocaust never happened

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Discendo Vox posted:

I was told thirdhand that chan denizens came to the conclusion that this "scandal" was prearranged by people who were migrating to one of the competing platforms that specializes in adult games. Giant block of salt on that though, given its source. I'm still waiting to hear word from Valve.

I've just checked Lewdgamer, the most trusted source in news, and they mentioned nothing of the sort :colbert:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
For a somewhat more in-depth(and unasked for) history of DotA, it was originally made by Eulogy(Eul) who was in turn cribbing it off of a Starcraft map called Aeon of Strife. When the WC3 expansion launched, he and the community seriously dragged their heels on porting it over, and by the time they actually got around to giving it a go Guinsoo had long since stolen the map and mixed it with a bunch of assets he'd pinched from other sources to make Allstars. Eul later, in an attept to head off any drama, simply declared that DotA was now open source and washed his hands of it.

After a while Guinsoo farted off and left further development to Icefrog, who, actually knowing how to make scripts, proceeded to fix most of the bugs and desynch issues, as well as cutting loading times to a small fraction of what they'd previously been.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Neltharak posted:

Icefrog arrived to dota in 2005, about the same time/slightly after guinsoo and company had royally hosed the game. He was on their team, then they left, and so he got the keys to the kingdom and made dota a good game again.

Unoriginal One posted:

For a somewhat more in-depth(and unasked for) history of DotA, it was originally made by Eulogy(Eul) who was in turn cribbing it off of a Starcraft map called Aeon of Strife. When the WC3 expansion launched, he and the community seriously dragged their heels on porting it over, and by the time they actually got around to giving it a go Guinsoo had long since stolen the map and mixed it with a bunch of assets he'd pinched from other sources to make Allstars. Eul later, in an attept to head off any drama, simply declared that DotA was now open source and washed his hands of it.

After a while Guinsoo farted off and left further development to Icefrog, who, actually knowing how to make scripts, proceeded to fix most of the bugs and desynch issues, as well as cutting loading times to a small fraction of what they'd previously been.

I knew there was more to it but I can never remember how it goes. The point was that he's the only guy workin on Dota 2 since the rest of Valve is worthless. gently caress look at TF2 if you want to see Valve in action.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

You’ve got the ending bit wrong, in a big way.

Well, don't hold out on us.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not sure how that would even work. Is the idea meant to be that a bunch of different devs and a couple of pretty big publishers came up with a plan to lie about receiving emails from Valve, or that they organized a mass reporting campaign against their own games? Either way it seems like it'd be a high-risk, low-reward kind of thing to do.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 22, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Well, don't hold out on us.

Sorry, was and am phoneposting. Short version is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnmT82yGpk

Vortigaunts.

Thuryl posted:

I'm not sure how that would even work. Is the idea meant to be that a bunch of different devs and a couple of pretty big publishers came up with a plan to lie about receiving emails from Valve, or that they organized a mass reporting campaign against their own games? Either way it seems like it'd be a high-risk, low-reward kind of thing to do.

Yeah, idk. Coordinated lying about platform oppression, apparently is the theory. It’d explain the odd selection of companies involved, and the million games not involved , but it’s still super weird as a tactic. Like I said, chan, salt, etc

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Really Pants posted:

the waifu holocaust never happened

Gaben did nothing wrong!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, idk. Coordinated lying about platform oppression, apparently is the theory. It’d explain the odd selection of companies involved, and the million games not involved , but it’s still super weird as a tactic. Like I said, chan, salt, etc

it really holds up when you consider valve's normally extremely competent & considered management of steam, and how this was a one-off outlier that was totally unlike any of their previous actions

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, was and am phoneposting. Short version is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnmT82yGpk

Vortigaunts.

Weird and arbitrary is kind of par for the course with censorship of sex stuff historically, and with everything valve has ever done

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
AAA game sextime = ok

low budget anime sextime = NOT OK

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DisDisDis posted:

Weird and arbitrary is kind of par for the course with censorship of sex stuff historically, and with everything valve has ever done

Like Ladykiller in a Bind getting on Steam with no issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Apparently hashtag waifu holocaust is over.

Yay Hunie Dev is saved yay

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I dunno guys, this might not be the thoughtful, nuanced approach to the subject we need right now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Oh, Jack. If only you'd known. :smith:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I dunno guys, this might not be the thoughtful, nuanced approach to the subject we need right now.

From that screenshot, I wonder which way the developer prefers

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

Oh, Jack. If only you'd known. :smith:

The man was truly a visionary.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hey, Steam? Do you want to take a look at this instead of the furry dickgirls- no? Oh. Okay.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
to be honest all we need are dickgirls

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i think you meant to say dirigibles

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
i'm going to kickstart the kantai collection dirigible edition now

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

From that screenshot, I wonder which way the developer prefers

Well, considering the shooter in the title card is wearing khakis and not SWAT gear or a badge, I'm guessing he's on the pro side of the argument.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

i'm going to kickstart the kantai collection dirigible edition now

I legit have no idea what this means but I can tell there's someone with an inflation fetish getting a chubby thinking about it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They're an underrepresented and underserved market.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
good

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Nature and capitalism both abhor vacuums, it would seem.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Serious question, did Valve ever plan to make a Half-Life 3? I always thought HL2, Episode 3 was going to be the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

Serious question, did Valve ever plan to make a Half-Life 3? I always thought HL2, Episode 3 was going to be the finale.

It's all hearsay, but supposedly as the development cycle on Half Life 2 Episode 3 got longer and longer, the idea of just pivoting to making Half Life 3 instead was put on the table. But whether or not there was ever anything beyond discussions, nobody knows. Considering the most concrete thing that came out of Half Life 2 Episode 3 is an initial draft I highly doubt there was ever a playable version of Half Life 3.