Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who wants to see Arrested Development season 5 not age well before it even airs? From the TVIV thread:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Boy, this cast interview reflects really poorly on every dude on the show:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts/television/arrested-development-netflix-interview-jeffrey-tambor.html

Jessica Walter literally goes into tears recalling a time Tambor exploded at her on set, and all the male cast members try to downplay it and talk over her until she is sufficiently forgiving. Bateman is a particular piece of poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also when he got the Foreigner Belt.

Carl works because in a show about surreal black comedy nonsense he's a completely different flavour of mundane black comedy nonsense, and the constant collision just makes it all the funnier. Though I enjoyed watching him rant about American football. While the Aqua Teens have frequent amusing and often unsettling reminders that they're inhuman beings who don't really grasp human concepts (most of the time) while Carl is very recognisably human.

Thing about ATHF in my opinion is that Carl would be a thoroughly loathesome person in any situation but as the sole human member of the cast he becomes relateable. But he's still a gross, sexist, xenophobic idiot, so you don't mind so much when the food monsters mulch his body in a hi-tech toilet and attach his still-living head to a toy dump truck.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who wants to see Arrested Development season 5 not age well before it even airs? From the TVIV thread:

Woof. The woman who plays Maeby is the only one even coming close to holding him accountable. That's a hosed up read.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crossposting because I actually meant to post it here:

What's really sad is listening to Jessica say "I've been in this business for 60 years" and imagining all the sexist poo poo she's had to deal with in that time, then her saying "It's never been like this" and still being completely dismissed because men are fragile.

Bateman was especially lovely but for Cross to come out and say "He's still learning!!" The dude is in his drat 70s but boys will boys, even when they're elderly.

Jessica is amazing (I actually just saw her on an episode of Columbo lol) she doesn't deserve this poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

purple death ray posted:

Thing about ATHF in my opinion is that Carl would be a thoroughly loathesome person in any situation but as the sole human member of the cast he becomes relateable. But he's still a gross, sexist, xenophobic idiot, so you don't mind so much when the food monsters mulch his body in a hi-tech toilet and attach his still-living head to a toy dump truck.

Alright, JUICE!

You guys want some juice?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Crossposting because I actually meant to post it here:

What's really sad is listening to Jessica say "I've been in this business for 60 years" and imagining all the sexist poo poo she's had to deal with in that time, then her saying "It's never been like this" and still being completely dismissed because men are fragile.

Bateman was especially lovely but for Cross to come out and say "He's still learning!!" The dude is in his drat 70s but boys will boys, even when they're elderly.

Jessica is amazing (I actually just saw her on an episode of Columbo lol) she doesn't deserve this poo poo.

Yeah, being in the business 60 years and saying "this was the worst" really says it all. "That's just how it is" says a guy that hasn't even been alive as long as her career.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've never looked into it but Cross, Arnett, and Bateman all gave me "secret rear end in a top hat" vibes and I guess this vindicates that

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know, given the nudie ladies and general misogynistic titillation of their shows, this may seem off. But I always thought Benny Hill was gay.

Much like Kenny Everett, who, (I am imagining), flamed as hard as a flaming homosexual could flame.

Benny Hill was sort of a weirdly asexual loner by the sounds of it. He’s one of those people who lived alone and was really frugal, despite making millions.

I watched some Benny Hill a while ago and a lot of it is pretty odd. He seems to embrace any excuse to wear a maid’s costume.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've never looked into it but Cross, Arnett, and Bateman all gave me "secret rear end in a top hat" vibes and I guess this vindicates that

Cross wanted Tobias to be secretly black or something (they almost went with it but the storyline wasn mercifully dropped) so I've been giving him the side eye for awhile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Benny Hill was sort of a weirdly asexual loner by the sounds of it. He’s one of those people who lived alone and was really frugal, despite making millions.

I watched some Benny Hill a while ago and a lot of it is pretty odd. He seems to embrace any excuse to wear a maid’s costume.

Makes me half seriously wonder if he was trans.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
David Cross is an upfront rear end in a top hat in everything but Arrested Development.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SEX BURRITO posted:

Benny Hill came out of the old music hall/seaside pier entertainment circuit. Drag was something of a tradition, everyone did it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

purple death ray posted:

I didn't think anyone actually liked Carl as a person. Like, the extent of his likability is entirely in the fact that he's made out to be an incredibly gross weirdo so you don't feel bad for him when incredibly bizarre and awful things happen to him. It'd be harder to laugh at the awful poo poo he goes through if he wasn't a complete garbage person.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595574306459648

https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595735212609536

https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595973553852416

https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999596036451717122

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Meanwhile Brooklyn 99 tells people to cut the poo poo.

quote:

It may come as no surprise that “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” actress Stephanie Beatriz has no trouble speaking up when a man’s behavior crosses a line. In a recent interview with Vulture, the actress and LGBTQ advocate shared an anecdote that will sound all too familiar to many women in Hollywood, about an older male actor who was calling everyone “honey,” “babe,” and “baby” on set. (Beatriz did not share the actor’s name). Observing him interacting with the other women on set, Beatriz remembers wishing he would call her a name just so she would have a chance to respond.

“Sure enough once we hit set, he did speak to me that way, and I said, ‘I’d really prefer it if you called me by my name.’ And he was like, ‘All right, sweetie.’ And then I stopped and said, ‘No. I am actually serious. I am not sweetie. My name is Stephanie, and I’d like you to call me by my actual name.’ And he was a little bit of an older guy, and I don’t think he was used to anybody talking to him that way, especially not a young woman.”

It’s the kind of assertive statement many actresses might not feel comfortable making, but after many seasons on the show, Beatriz knew her “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” team would have her back. She went on:

“But that was our show. It’s our house, and I wasn’t going to let him come into our house and disrespect the crew, the other actors, myself. It was really great that I felt really supported in that. Everyone around me, the director that day, the crew, our creators, rallied around me and said, ‘Yeah. You did the right thing. Thank you for speaking up and making sure that you felt comfortable in your work environment.'”

Beatriz plays Detective Rosa Diaz on “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” which was recently canceled by Fox before NBC picked it up for a sixth season. Beatriz is bisexual, which inspired the writers on the show to dedicate two full episodes to Rosa’s coming out as bisexual. Gina Rodriguez played Rosa’s love interest in the fifth season finale, which aired on Sunday. Read the full interview with Beatriz here.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Just don't read the comments on that B99 story.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Brooklyn 99 made the tough girl cop like girls in the end? Way to buck stereotypes, I guess.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

sassassin posted:

Brooklyn 99 made the tough girl cop like girls in the end? Way to buck stereotypes, I guess.

Except it was the actress herself who is Bi, and they decided to make the character Bi because they don't have much representation on TV to begin with?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just don't read the comments on that B99 story.

I dunno, this one's pretty good.

"I don't know who this woman is, but I bet this woman who is a popular character from a show that was just saved by a fan outpouring is never going to work again for being rude to a man."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bunnyofdoom posted:

Except it was the actress herself who is Bi, and they decided to make the character Bi because they don't have much representation on TV to begin with?

So they didn't make the tough girl cop like girls in the end?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

So they didn't make the tough girl cop like girls in the end?

Wait, which of the "girl cops" did you think wasn't tough?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SiKboy posted:

Wait, which of the "girl cops" did you think wasn't tough?

Rosa Diaz is the tough one. Abrasive, rides a motorcycle, destroys computers when frustrated. Had trouble with intimacy.

Amy Santiago isn't the tough one. Bullied by coworkers and authority figures, bookish and nerdy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

Rosa Diaz is the tough one. Abrasive, rides a motorcycle, destroys computers when frustrated. Had trouble with intimacy.

Amy Santiago isn't the tough one. Bullied by coworkers and authority figures, bookish and nerdy.

The hypercompetitive cop with the precincts second best arrest record who takes people down during a wedding dress fitting isnt tough to you?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SiKboy posted:

The hypercompetitive cop with the precincts second best arrest record who takes people down during a wedding dress fitting isnt tough to you?

Maybe they think being Bi doesn't qualify as actually "liking girls"?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

And you know, it's just them stereotyping, even though the actress herself is bi?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

The actress came out as bisexual first, then the producers approached her and said “we’ve been working really hard on positive representation in the show and we’d also like to represent your character as bi if that’s okay with you.” The actress agreed and collaborated to create two episodes about that. It’s completely positive and not negative stereotyping you dolt.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't really care about the behind the scenes stuff. It's disappointing to me that the stereotypical tough chick in the precinct ended up leaning even harder into the ancient stereotype/cliche.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 17:33 on May 24, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You don't care about any the stuff, you just want to complain.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm pretty sure that sassassin was making the same stink in the B99 S04 thread. If not them, then someone else with the same weird gimmick.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Samuringa posted:

You don't care about any the stuff, you just want to complain.

I don't care about how the sausage got made, I only care about the experience of eating it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

I don't care about how the sausage got made, I only care about the experience of eating it.

No you don't. If you did you wouldn't be complaining because Rosa being bi fits the character and the show to a T and is presumably hilarious to boot (haven't made it that far yet).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sassassin posted:

very wise

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

sassassin posted:

I think you’re just a miserable poo poo who only wants others to be as miserable as you are at all times.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

No you don't. If you did you wouldn't be complaining because Rosa being bi fits the character and the show to a T and is presumably hilarious to boot (haven't made it that far yet).

I disagree. The best Rosa episodes are where she's forced out of her macho comfort zone with friends/boyfriends, having to confront conventionally girly situations (like sending romantic texts).

The whole show is built around really simple reverses of classic stereotypes (Terry the man mountain as soft & caring father, Holt gay, Boyle straight, Peralta as idiot manchild/best detective/genius) and the show is always funniest when it uses those conflicts to the fullest (and when Gina is off screen).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've been rewatching some early Adult Swim stuff recently (Harvey Birdman, ATHF, Sealab) and there's a part of me that thinks that had they launched some 10-15 years later, other than the anime side of things and reruns, the whole platform of original programming would have crashed and burned pretty quick. Not really due to the animation or absurdity, but how frequently comedy would to to a place that people would probably find very problematic these days.

Harvey Birdman, especially, but perhaps that's just due to the nature of the series using legal and social issues and stereotypes as a basis for the comedy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of Harvey Birdman, they're ressurecting him for in a half hour special. Harvey Birdman, Attorney General.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/harvey-birdmans-coming-back-to-adult-swim-and-hes-got-a-1826013977

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

I disagree. The best Rosa episodes are where she's forced out of her macho comfort zone with friends/boyfriends, having to confront conventionally girly situations (like sending romantic texts).

So she cant be "forced out of her macho comfort zone" with a girlfriend? She wouldnt send them romantic texts?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

oldpainless posted:

Also every bajoran on the show was thoroughly unlikable while dukat did a fantastic reasonable hitler routine
I want to emptyquote this because I am incredibly Space Racist against Bajorans. Every single Bajoran that ever appeared on Star Trek was the worst part of whatever episode they were in (and that's quite an accomplishment considering Ensign Ro is in the episode where people de-age into child actors).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

NorgLyle posted:

I want to emptyquote this because I am incredibly Space Racist against Bajorans. Every single Bajoran that ever appeared on Star Trek was the worst part of whatever episode they were in (and that's quite an accomplishment considering Ensign Ro is in the episode where people de-age into child actors).

The only good Bajoran was Seska and SURPRISE, it's because she was a Cardassian all-along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SiKboy posted:

So she cant be "forced out of her macho comfort zone" with a girlfriend? She wouldnt send them romantic texts?

Thanks to Boyle she can send romantic texts to anyone.

I haven't seen the season so I don't know where they go with it. Hopefully they had some good ideas and were at least able to do the cliche well. Thinking about it some more I'm not surprised they wanted to pivot on the character after the weird romance she had going with crazy bearded guy in the the last episodes I watched. That was pretty bad.