Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Found one bug:

Multi-stage anomalies keep failing silently on me. I'm guessing the game wants me to use the same scientist to research the next part in the chain? That isn't stated anywhere though, the only requirement listed for these quests is a crewed science ship. AllI get is a ping when the research project is done and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Found one bug:

Multi-stage anomalies keep failing silently on me. I'm guessing the game wants me to use the same scientist to research the next part in the chain? That isn't stated anywhere though, the only requirement listed for these quests is a crewed science ship. AllI get is a ping when the research project is done and nothing else.

Could I have some deets on this? Just the name of the projects that fail or the title of the anomalies that spawn them would help.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

You know you can just build all those tiles to whatever you want instead of just complaining about the sector AI. Like sure it looks like there is a bit of missing logic in there, but you have the tools to make it a non-issue.

I mean yeah, if I had infinite minerals and an unlimited core planet cap I could do that, but since I have to use sectors and building something on every tile of every planet in my entire empire would be both too expensive and also soul destroyingly tedious, this isn't really all that useful advice.

Since sector ai is going to spend all their resources building food on every tile, I'm probably going to restart with a less broken race.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I have a bug in one particular save where every time I establish communications with a new empire, I have to go through the greetings options dialogue at least three times before both it and the pop-up alert for away. Otherwise the patch and Distant Stars are good (but would be better without planet tiles)!

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Chalks posted:

I mean yeah, if I had infinite minerals and an unlimited core planet cap I could do that, but since I have to use sectors and building something on every tile of every planet in my entire empire would be both too expensive and also soul destroyingly tedious, this isn't really all that useful advice.

Since sector ai is going to spend all their resources building food on every tile, I'm probably going to restart with a less broken race.

Play Exterminators or Assimilators. Not being able to build food-producing buildings seems to unfuck the sector AI a bit.

Well, unless it decides to start forgetting to replace the capital buildings on conquered planets.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

Play Exterminators or Assimilators. Not being able to build food-producing buildings seems to unfuck the sector AI a bit.

Well, unless it decides to start forgetting to replace the capital buildings on conquered planets.

I find it usually remembers to replace it. But.

It's the deployment post instead of the Admin Array it should build.

And it plops it down in the dumbest spot possible, every time. Still, Assimilators for life. No food rules.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

is there a way to delete all my mods I've subscribed to that doesn't involve going to every single mod I've got and unsubscribing?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Whorelord posted:

is there a way to delete all my mods I've subscribed to that doesn't involve going to every single mod I've got and unsubscribing?

There's an Unsubscribe From All button in your 'subscribed items' list.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah, that's what I usually do but I hate the negative one million opinion you get when ever you conquer biological planets and slaughter the population. This was my first run as servitors, basically just being "robots that don't turn everyone into goop".

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

LordMune posted:

Could I have some deets on this? Just the name of the projects that fail or the title of the anomalies that spawn them would help.

In my current game, the Pulsating Stars project fails when I use a different scientist from the one mentioned in the mission text.

It's a bit misleading, as the requirements list only "scientist is present", and I happened to have a science ship in that system, so why not get it done more quickly :v:

Same thing happened in my previous game, but I can't remember the name of the anomaly unfortunately.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

In my current game, the Pulsating Stars project fails when I use a different scientist from the one mentioned in the mission text.

It's a bit misleading, as the requirements list only "scientist is present", and I happened to have a science ship in that system, so why not get it done more quickly :v:

Same thing happened in my previous game, but I can't remember the name of the anomaly unfortunately.

Makes me wonder what happens if they happen to meet an untimely demise. Cannot finish the mission chain? Or maybe you can just rename another scientist to have the same name? :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Does, uh, anyone know what happened to NSC? The website just went to this 'currently under construction' page and the Steam Workshop page has been straight-up deleted.

Edit: oh, I pulled up a cache of the workshop page and the author was talking about possibly retiring due to people in the comments asking things repeatedly. So I'm gonna assume they got tired of people wanting an update to 2.1 and removed it either to actually retire development or just to work on NSC2 Season 2.

Edit 2:

Cool thanks for that I hadn't at all written that in my post and definitely wasn't asking if anyone had more information or knew about the other thing in my post you apparently didn't read.
VVV

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 24, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Black Pants posted:

Does, uh, anyone know what happened to NSC? The website just went to this 'currently under construction' page and the Steam Workshop page has been straight-up deleted.

quote:

The new NSC2 website is currently under construction. We will return once it is complete. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

KingLemming posted:

So just a heads up, I have been keeping my mods up to date (I see they're not on the main post, guess they fell out of favor):

Stellar Expansion: Complete

The whole collection might not be for everyone (and I admit, the main module needs updated pictures/desc), but they're all pretty well functional.

For those of you who may have played them before, the Cloning module now allows you to clone *any* species on the planet, not just your founders. That's the biggest change offhand, other than adjusting different modules for the various rebalances to the core game that PDX keeps making.
this rules. thanks daddy-o

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

isndl posted:

Makes me wonder what happens if they happen to meet an untimely demise. Cannot finish the mission chain? Or maybe you can just rename another scientist to have the same name? :v:

Hah, if I had more spare time, I would try renaming the nearest scientist. See if it's just checking the string.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

You want distant stars for 20% off?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/stellaris-distant-stars-story-pack

(Fanatical is legit. They're owned by Focus Multimedia)

Deal's still good for five days, thanks!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Thanks! The Pulsating Stars thing seems to have been fixed already in our internal build, the fix should make its way into a patch sooner rather than later.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
There's a bug where if you click the arrow in the solar system view to move to the next system and then try to go back the camera will pan to the edge of the screen and keep bouncing off it and you can't do anything till you hit the map button at the bottom.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

There's a bug where if you click the arrow in the solar system view to move to the next system and then try to go back the camera will pan to the edge of the screen and keep bouncing off it and you can't do anything till you hit the map button at the bottom.

Jup. Got this bug since Apocalypse dropped.

Edit: Quoting this for myself to find it easier later

KingLemming posted:

So just a heads up, I have been keeping my mods up to date (I see they're not on the main post, guess they fell out of favor):

Stellar Expansion: Complete

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I've been taking a break from this once since before they fixed scaling difficulty, so I'm not sure precisely how it works: does the scaling bonus top out at whatever difficulty level you set, or is the "maximum" something else? I turned off Glavius this time around to take a look at the AI fixes and I'm actually surprised by how well they're keeping pace with me on a difficulty setting I used to steamroll (though from this I begin to realise that my early game needs refinement: my focus on locking down promising-looking chokes to backfill from means I'm shorthanded on actually colonizing, building infrastructure, and fleets, and that gets me into dangerous diplomatic/resource situations - and also swarmed by pirate spawns).

DamnDirtyCat
Dec 6, 2012
I don't know who decided to improve the AI, but wow, the changes are great and they kick my rear end. The binaries and trinaries are a nice touch, though I haven't really seen all that much of a difference in how they work compared to a regular system.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The AI is now much, much better. My first game on 2.1 I lowered the difficulty and still got my rear end kicked. The writing on the new anomalies is ace.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Very brief diary for this week - now that 2.1 is out they'll be focusing on support for bug fixes as new feature diaries take a back seat again pending their next announcement and a series of rolling beta updates will be coming as soon as next week (including the new peace type).

The full diary is just one paragraph long:

Wiz posted:

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! This one is just a short update to let you know what's going on in the development team and what you can expect in the coming weeks and months. As we just released Distant Stars this week, we will now be entering into an extended period of post-launch support with a rolling beta patch similar to what we did after the 2.0 release, both to sort out any issues with the 2.1 launch and to give us time to work on older bugs, QoL improvements and so on. We expect to have the first version of the rolling beta out early next week, with OOS fixes, a fix for starting planets sometimes spawning far away and some other priority issues sorted out.

I've highlighted the part I'm most interested in. Hopefully that will help make starting a new game less of a slog.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vengarr posted:

The Horizon Signal event chain is some real-rear end poo poo :eyepop:

What will be, was.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

iospace posted:

What will be, was.

What was, will be.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

LordMune posted:

Thanks! The Pulsating Stars thing seems to have been fixed already in our internal build, the fix should make its way into a patch sooner rather than later.

Please swap the hotkey for move to survey. Or give survey a hotkey of it's own. We need to hit survey constantly (to queue up survey commands without endless right click -> survey) and you basically never need to give a dedicated move order where a simple right click wouldn't do.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

goon rookersh fired up his first game of stellaris

14 hours later, he's still in there, I dunno if he went afk at any point or if he's still battling slaving despots and federationed hiveminds, he might have gazed too far into the abyss...

also
fear me

That 14 hours felt like maybe 3. The gently caress happened to my entire Saturday. I grabbed lunch at a certain point because I started to starve, and left the game running for maybe 20 minutes while I did but ahhh.

My galaxy is hosed. I have 4! Hive Minds that basically run the entire northern half, and they are all Defensive Allies. Everyone on the south end is a loving mess of various cultures that are not ready for the Hive Mind menace. Including this dick rear end Slaving Despots that live right next to me. Thankfully I'm slowly but surely uniting the south into my new Federation which will hopefully help against future incursions.

Got lucky, and my space samurai blue bird friends that spawned next to me had a government change right as I started building into them and became Fanatical Egalitarians who were super down to join my new Federation.

Kinda worried about the L Gate mystery stuff. Like I've so far seen the First League and Old Gods as my two big story moments for this run, and it looks like that'll be it with my current rate of expansion/turning to focus on the actual galactic map. And I'd guess that if I played the game the next 5-10 times I'd probably not see the First League/Old Gods again because there are so many anomalies/story chains now. But every game going forward will still have the L Gate. Maybe it'll get better with future story packs, and they can do the Battle Brothers thing of "we will choose a random BIG story ending crescendo for your galaxy." so sometimes it'll pull the L Gate, sometimes it'll pull the Reapers, sometimes it'll pull actual God showing up.

Also I get why tiles have to go, but gotta say I do appreciate them for a singular reason. I've tried to get into CK2 hundreds of times because it seems like it's always been something that'd be my jam, and I think Stellaris is really helpful at being the gateway drug to CK2 as it's got a lot of the same features/designs around it. I loaded up a CK2 game today to dink around in it and test this, and yeah I now know how to play CK2, something I spent years looking at guides to try and figure out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Eeeheeheeheehee.

Someone hasn't made it to the actual crescendo yet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rookersh posted:

That 14 hours felt like maybe 3. The gently caress happened to my entire Saturday. I grabbed lunch at a certain point because I started to starve, and left the game running for maybe 20 minutes while I did but ahhh.

My galaxy is hosed. I have 4! Hive Minds that basically run the entire northern half, and they are all Defensive Allies. Everyone on the south end is a loving mess of various cultures that are not ready for the Hive Mind menace. Including this dick rear end Slaving Despots that live right next to me. Thankfully I'm slowly but surely uniting the south into my new Federation which will hopefully help against future incursions.

Got lucky, and my space samurai blue bird friends that spawned next to me had a government change right as I started building into them and became Fanatical Egalitarians who were super down to join my new Federation.

Kinda worried about the L Gate mystery stuff. Like I've so far seen the First League and Old Gods as my two big story moments for this run, and it looks like that'll be it with my current rate of expansion/turning to focus on the actual galactic map. And I'd guess that if I played the game the next 5-10 times I'd probably not see the First League/Old Gods again because there are so many anomalies/story chains now. But every game going forward will still have the L Gate. Maybe it'll get better with future story packs, and they can do the Battle Brothers thing of "we will choose a random BIG story ending crescendo for your galaxy." so sometimes it'll pull the L Gate, sometimes it'll pull the Reapers, sometimes it'll pull actual God showing up.

Also I get why tiles have to go, but gotta say I do appreciate them for a singular reason. I've tried to get into CK2 hundreds of times because it seems like it's always been something that'd be my jam, and I think Stellaris is really helpful at being the gateway drug to CK2 as it's got a lot of the same features/designs around it. I loaded up a CK2 game today to dink around in it and test this, and yeah I now know how to play CK2, something I spent years looking at guides to try and figure out.

This is good; keep playing, keep posting.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CitizenKain posted:

I like those ideas.

Maybe another thing they need to look at is missiles being only a single slot size, and corvettes being able to use torpedoes at all. Like destroyers should be the smallest hull that can carry torps, with cruisers being able to carry a bunch. As for missiles, maybe have a M and L size mounts that have multiple launchers per spot. Like a cruiser should really be able to lay down a wall of missiles for its size.

Or maybe smaller ships can keep the launchers, but limit their number of shots in an engagement. Like, a corvette gets 2 torps, you get an early burst of damage, but then you have a ship flying around with a puny S weapon. Destroyers have more launches possible. This way you could decide between burst/sustained damage, and how heavy you think someone went in on point defense.

Totally. Well I think there's certainly some promise in looking at missiles and torpedoes as being medium and large slots. I mean the sections for corvettes and cruisers are even called Missile and Torpedo sections respectively. I think that even if the devs didn't want to upend the existing system, they could improve it by limiting corvettes to missiles, and then varying the slots available to each section (I.e. the missile guidance system takes up the space of one of the defense slots) to help balance. I think that adding an ammo mechanic might be overly opaque, but certainly reducing the recharge rate more so that missiles don't out-DPS most other weapons would be a good start.

Of course rebalancing the weapons brings in many other elements, which is why they've struggled with it. The combat computers are wildly unbalanced and encourage dumb tactics like firing torpedoes point-blank. The weapons ranges are all over the place and don't really seem to impact the fight because the computer generally favors getting in as close as possible. There's apparently some targeting issues that make it very difficult to screen your artillery, because the frontline is simply ignored. Basically the combat issues are kind of egregious, particularly if you compare it to the fairly well-considered systems of Sins of a Solar Empire or Eve Online. It's all stuff that probably made sense in isolation, but collectively has led to the uninteresting monofleets that dominate the game. Fortunately combat is really only a quarter of the game.

Hopefully in the aftermath of Niven they'll be able to take a breath and see what they can do to encourage the use of more mixed and balanced fleets.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 24, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combat is much better than it used to be both balance and composition wise, so while it could be improved I want to point out that it already has been, massively.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ze Pollack posted:

Eeeheeheeheehee.

Someone hasn't made it to the actual crescendo yet.

156 hours in and I have even gotten Horizon Signal.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

BrandorKP posted:

156 hours in and I have even gotten Horizon Signal.

Feels like I get it every game.

God I love the Worm. And the Worm loves me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilliman is it your mod that's adding the version of the defence platform sections with guns on both the top and the bottom? Because if so that's a really really neat way to do the extra guns thing, most mods just put two guns in the same place.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

Guilliman is it your mod that's adding the version of the defence platform sections with guns on both the top and the bottom? Because if so that's a really really neat way to do the extra guns thing, most mods just put two guns in the same place.

Most likely not. I haven't done anything with defense stations other than offer medium and large ones in my component mod

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Clanpot Shake posted:

Feels like I get it every game.

God I love the Worm. And the Worm loves me.

I got Horizon Signal immediately my very first game with that installed.

However, I have never seen a War in Heaven or a crisis other than the Unbidden. I would really, really like some variety there in a game some day please.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I got the worm exactly once and it was in a multiplayer game that ended prematurely due to rampant desyncs 80 years in :(

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I'm in the never gotten Horizon Signal to fire club, and not for lack of trying either.

The Worm does not love me. :(

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I got Horizon Signal the first three times I played MP with some RL friends. It was hilarious.

OwlFancier posted:

Combat is much better than it used to be both balance and composition wise, so while it could be improved I want to point out that it already has been, massively.

Yeah this is very true. Honestly the biggest change I want at this point is to decouple combat/non-combat sublight speed, so corvettes aren't way faster strategically than big ships. Plus it would help ~my immersion~. Some kind of evasion rework would be nice too, but that's obviously a far more difficult change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ships have fuel tanks, dodging bullets depletes fuel. Now evasion is also an additive defence, instead of multiplicative, unless your fights are very short.

Boring, but effective.