Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GrandpaPants posted:

The Simpsons and Futurama still seem safe from shittiness? I mean, along these dimensions I guess. It's Always Sunny also seems pretty low key, which is kinda weird considering the material.

Add Parks and Rec to the RIP list, too, although I guess that started by hiring Rob Lowe. The Office is half-tainted since one of their biggest moments (Jim and Pam's wedding) uses a Chris Brown song very prominently. I believe this was even after the Rihanna stuff.

My dude I have some bad news for you if your life is just crossing off media from a big list under the heading "SOMEONE WAS TERRIBLE" like go ahead and start with all music ever recorded and then just go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The Office also has Gervais which is bad enough and the Simpsons had that extremely lovely handling of the Apu thing recently. I think you'd have a hard time finding any kind of entertainment where nobody involved is an rear end in a top hat

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

peer posted:

"I sound like I’m condoning yelling at work. I do not.
It sounds like I’m excusing Jeffery. I do not.
It sounds like I’m insensitive to Jessica. I am not."

I mean... he did do those things. You can't just say "it might SOUND like I'm doing this thing but I wasn't!!" to deflect criticism, just like Cross can't say "I'm not racist" to magically absolve himself from saying racist poo poo.

The full context of the apology sounds better than just cherrypicking those particular lines. But even just with those lines, he's at least acknowledging that the interview sounds really bad instead of doubling down. He then goes on to explain that he realizes what he did, that he supported the person who did the bad behavior over victim, who is sitting right there. So it really does not feel like a half-hearted apology to me but if I could see him making it, directly from his mouth instead of on Twitter, I'd have an easier time accepting it(not that he owes anyone other than Walter an apology).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GrandpaPants posted:

The Simpsons and Futurama still seem safe from shittiness? I mean, along these dimensions I guess. It's Always Sunny also seems pretty low key, which is kinda weird considering the material.

Add Parks and Rec to the RIP list, too, although I guess that started by hiring Rob Lowe. The Office is half-tainted since one of their biggest moments (Jim and Pam's wedding) uses a Chris Brown song very prominently. I believe this was even after the Rihanna stuff.

The Simpsons' recent response to the whole Apu thing was a bit tasteless

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Simpson would have gotten a pass on Apu if it the plug had been pulled 20 years when the Good episodes outweighed the Bad, and the show would have grown fonder in the public's memory instead of growing older and outdated.

The Deadpool movies have Deadpool's wacky sidekick Dopinder and it helps that he's actually played by an Indian guy and he's no less unhinged than anyone else in the cast. He'll probably replace Weasel entirely in Deadpool 3.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 24, 2018

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

So this thread has moved from being about sexual assault to just complaining about people being mean?

Time to shut down movies/tv/music forever, it's been fun guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Moses Farrow wrote an extremely long essay about Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, and the accusations.

http://mosesfarrow.blogspot.com.es/2018/05/a-son-speaks-out-by-moses-farrow.html

He'd made these kinds of statements before, but with little detail.

It's a good (if very depressing) article. I kind of wish we had the recollections of the other children as well, but I can understand why they'd rather not share such intimate memories with the general public.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

zandert33 posted:

So this thread has moved from being about sexual assault to just complaining about people being mean?

Time to shut down movies/tv/music forever, it's been fun guys.

I think we'd probably not be discussing Tambor if it weren't for the other accusations against him. This is just another thing to throw on the pile.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

peer posted:

The Office also has Gervais which is bad enough and the Simpsons had that extremely lovely handling of the Apu thing recently. I think you'd have a hard time finding any kind of entertainment where nobody involved is an rear end in a top hat

Not to be too cute about it but yeah, essentially this. You’re often looking at collaborative efforts in industries with messy inner politics in eras dominated by toxic culture problems. Enjoy as many unproblematic things, and support the best people working now, but if you’re looking backwards you’re going to have to live with the context. Which, imho, is a good thing, because it rounds out your understanding of what you’re consuming and hopefully makes you more aware going forward. I still love King of the Hill even though Mike Judge has outed himself as an absolute wackadoodle.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Morgan Freeman's turn: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I let out a long and loud “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” at work about this and my boss just had to run and come see what was wrong, and she’s super bummed now because Shawshank is her number one all time favorite movie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He was dating his granddaughter. This shouldn't surprise anyone

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barto posted:

I'm sure the man who has murdered people in cold blood, had people tortured, and locked up anyone who disagreed with him---I'm sure this man was the very model of an admirable feminist who always asked for consent.

What I'm saying, ultimately, is that there is no possible way you're getting credible information about Castro from the CIA, FBI, would be assassins and exiles whining that Castro took away their right to own slaves. No offense because I'm sure your outrage is very real but there is no reason whatsoever to believe a word of any of that.

LesterGroans posted:

There's a really good part in the behind-the-scenes of Netflix's W/ Bob & David in the writer's room. Cross has a sketch idea about a kid who dies and comes back and writes a book about going to heaven. Cross seems more focused on talking about Jesus having a boyfriend and Odenkirk rightfully steers it to the funnier idea of everyone (Hitler, John Wayne Gacy) being allowed in Heaven.

The funniest joke in the whole revival series is Heaven is Totes For Real thing about "the Prophet Muhammad?" "No! Mohammed Atta!"

Timby posted:

It's the audio that gets me. She is in tears, saying that she's never been treated like that by another person in nearly six decades of acting, and just doing pure victim mentality saying that she needs to get over it and realize that it happens, and you've got Bateman and Arnett and Hale egging her on, and Tambor's saying "you're right" like he accidentally bumped her in the hallway and made her spill her coffee.

Yeah, in print you can see how they might play it off, but the audio makes it clear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 24, 2018

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What I'm saying, ultimately, is that there is no possible way you're getting credible information about Castro from the CIA, FBI, would be assassins and exiles whining that Castro took away their right to own slaves. No offense because I'm sure your outrage is very real but there is no reason whatsoever to believe a word of any of that.

The funniest joke in the whole revival series is Heaven is Totes For Real thing about "the Prophet Muhammad?" "No! Mohammed Atta!"

Yeah, in print you can see how they might play it off, but the audio makes it clear.
The dude made labour camps for gay people and thought homosexuality was a symptom of capitalist decadence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fsmhunk posted:

The dude made labour camps for gay people and thought homosexuality was a symptom of capitalist decadence.

In contrast to which country, exactly?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Davros1 posted:

that's new to me :stare:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Davros1 posted:

My av. is currently my expression.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

In contrast to which country, exactly?

It's ok if the commies committed crimes against humanity, the capitalists did too.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Hollywood is full of pedophiles

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SimonCat posted:

It's ok if the commies committed crimes against humanity, the capitalists did too.

The implication was that you are meant to view Castro with some special horror, coming from a country that didn't decriminalize homosexual activity until the early 2000's and literally has state sanctioned reeducation camps to "cure" gay men and women. LGBT awareness and rights in Cuba were won exactly as they were in any other country, by the people themselves.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PenguinKnight posted:

that's new to me :stare:

I thought it was his step-niece? And it was more of a tabloid accusation that he refused to respond to. Still really disgusting but not incest disgusting.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought it was his step-niece? And it was more of a tabloid accusation that he refused to respond to. Still really disgusting but not incest disgusting.

This is confusingly phrased but "step-granddaughter" seems right:

quote:

While they aren’t related by blood, Freeman has known Hines since she was a small child and has been a part of her life for years.

The 80-year-old adopted her biological mother, Deena Adair, during his first marriage to Jeanette Adair-Bradshaw and then helped raise Hines with his second wife, Myrna Colley-Lee. Adair was Jeanette’s daughter.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/999736744839909382?s=19

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Excellent news.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

peer posted:

This is confusingly phrased but "step-granddaughter" seems right:

the heart wants what it wants

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm legit surprised Weinstein isn't just going to live out his awful life somewhere in Europe.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm amazed he never left the country tbh. Maybe he just thought he was too big for the cops to actually come after, esp with the age of some of the accusations. I'm not sure what the statute of limitations is in NY tho? Not as lovely as in Cali I'm assuming?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like I doubt he'll do real time. I really hope he does do time, but I doubt he will.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I still love King of the Hill even though Mike Judge has outed himself as an absolute wackadoodle.

Explain please?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

From pretty much day 1, there have been rumblings of Weinstein seeking a redemption narrative. There has even been talk of some kind of eventual documentary or something here and there. My suspicions are that dude simply doesn’t understand how loving much of a monster he is, and sees turning himself in as a way to “clear the air” so that he can continue that redemption arc. It smacks of “I always cooperated.”

Tailored Sauce posted:

Explain please?

Isn’t he buds with Alex Jones?

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 24, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

Isn’t he buds with Alex Jones?

Yeah, Judge is pretty much a full-out libertarian doofus.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Her killer//ex-boyfriend told the police in his statement he was partially motivated by her confessing her and Morgan's sexual relationship to him

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's nice that they announced the arrest in advance. You don't want to be unprepared for something like that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SimonCat posted:

are you sad that fidel took away your family's slaves

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They did the same when they picked up Allison Mack in NYC, iirc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is like standard procedure. My neighbor got a letter informing him where he could turn himself in for his impending arrest.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Phi230 posted:

are you sad that fidel took away your family's slaves

esperterra posted:

They did the same when they picked up Allison Mack in NYC, iirc.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's nice that they announced the arrest in advance. You don't want to be unprepared for something like that.

He's a rich white guy. He's owed the courtesy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The implication was that you are meant to view Castro with some special horror, coming from a country that didn't decriminalize homosexual activity until the early 2000's and literally has state sanctioned reeducation camps to "cure" gay men and women. LGBT awareness and rights in Cuba were won exactly as they were in any other country, by the people themselves.

In a thread that's significantly about recognizing that people in positions of power and authority can sexually abuse others with much greater ease, nuance and access than the stereotypical back alley violent rapist, you can't come to grips with the fact that a totalitarian dictator is de facto the biggest abuser of them all. Like, even hypothetically.