Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

hotsauce posted:

I'm not messing with a good thing

https://i.imgur.com/BQrWWLi.png

Holy gently caress!

Edit: what a loving awful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

Holy gently caress!

Edit: what a loving awful snipe

I'm about at the same level ($155.19) and I'd imagine just about anyone who's used it for a couple years would be as well.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've had it for just shy of 10 months now and got a total of $13.81. Is there a point where they start giving juicier surveys more consistently?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Living or being in a city helps a ton. When I was in the suburbs I basically only got them when I went downtown but living in a city now I get them basically anytime I go anywhere.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ehh, I live in a ruralish area and I'm up to $170.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Of course that's starting 11/2013, so it's not like I'm going to retire on my rewards bux.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone got YouTube Music thing yet? It did come out on the 22nd of May and all but it's a super slow roll-out. :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dang, all my surveys are in the $0.12 range.

Though I got a $1.00 survey yesterday asking if I'd pay extra for phones of certain brands, up to an extra $200. Turns out I wouldn't pay extra for any phone brand, and I would pay less for most.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Dang, all my surveys are in the $0.12 range.

Though I got a $1.00 survey yesterday asking if I'd pay extra for phones of certain brands, up to an extra $200. Turns out I wouldn't pay extra for any phone brand, and I would pay less for most.

not even a huawei porsche!?!

e: porsche huawei, although the reverse would be interesting to see

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Thermopyle posted:

Ehh, I live in a ruralish area and I'm up to $170.

Of course that's starting 11/2013, so it's not like I'm going to retire on my rewards bux.

12/2014, $84.46
Made 16~ in the last 6 months vs 11~ in the prior 6 month periods in my old place. So that's a sizable jump, but obviously isn't enough to be confident. It certainly feels like I get way more surveys, even if they're almost always low value "When did you visit X? What did you pay with?" ones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maybe it's a non US thing but the vast majority of surveys I get are for 10-40 cents. Canadian cents. So it takes me forever to earn credit :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've made £54 over how ever long it is, I get between 6 and 20p each time

Since I started cycling to the bank from work mine has dropped off loads as I'm not walking past shops that trigger a survey

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Rewards chat reminded me: did anyone else get a Kelp water park spiritual sequel question recently? It asked me about some specific water slide I'd never heard of, out of the blue. Or does Google think I'm some kind of water slide trainspotter/roadgeek?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Maybe it's a non US thing but the vast majority of surveys I get are for 10-40 cents. Canadian cents. So it takes me forever to earn credit :(

Sorry about that!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

I've had it for just shy of 10 months now and got a total of $13.81. Is there a point where they start giving juicier surveys more consistently?

I'm in the 'burbs so I don't think it's so much rural/urban as "go places". If you go places often and Google's tracking you, you're going to get some surveys, especially once you happen across a place that has a promotion going (for years it would trigger when I went to Bedubs which I did every Tuesday but that stopped about a year ago--both Wing Tuesdays and the promotion). I think Walgreen's does some occasionally.

Weirdly, my wife gets $.50 surveys every time she goes to Kroger (and it wants a picture of her receipt) so that's a dollar a week for her but I often accompany her and I've never gotten one.

Either way the key is to get out of the house often.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I pretty consistently get surveys about 20 minutes after going to walmart, asking if I'd take a picture of my receipt. I go there a couple times a week because it's right across from work, so Google has been pretty good to me lately.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pictures of receipts wtf??? Never had that here nor heard of anyone else with the app getting that. loving Google.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pictures of receipts wtf??? Never had that here nor heard of anyone else with the app getting that. loving Google.

I get it quite often. Especially after going to Walmart. Thing is, by the time I get it, I've already thrown my receipt away, so I always say no. I never think to hold on to it in case I get another one.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

I get it all the time after going to McDonalds. Problem is I use the mobile order so I don't have a paper receipt so I lose out on extra funbux :mad:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I'm in the 'burbs so I don't think it's so much rural/urban as "go places". If you go places often and Google's tracking you, you're going to get some surveys, especially once you happen across a place that has a promotion going (for years it would trigger when I went to Bedubs which I did every Tuesday but that stopped about a year ago--both Wing Tuesdays and the promotion). I think Walgreen's does some occasionally.

Weirdly, my wife gets $.50 surveys every time she goes to Kroger (and it wants a picture of her receipt) so that's a dollar a week for her but I often accompany her and I've never gotten one.

Either way the key is to get out of the house often.

I used to get a lot of "did you go to this store" surveys based on whatever businesses my bus drove past on any given day but for some reason all my surveys shifted over to the old SIMless phone I use to watch videos on at home and I can't be bothered to sort it out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I get it quite often. Especially after going to Walmart. Thing is, by the time I get it, I've already thrown my receipt away, so I always say no. I never think to hold on to it in case I get another one.

nimper posted:

I get it all the time after going to McDonalds. Problem is I use the mobile order so I don't have a paper receipt so I lose out on extra funbux :mad:

You two are in the US? Google does sooo many geographic restrictions for their services :(

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

You two are in the US? Google does sooo many geographic restrictions for their services :(

Correct. I'm in the US. I always forget about the non-US restrictions on things.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

$154 here.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a tradeoff. You get the functional democracy and we get the cool poo poo from Google.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
the US also has like zero actual privacy restrictions. Google would probably get shredded doing that outside of the US opt in or not.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Since 11/8/13, I've earned $124.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw a survey for more than something like 40 cents. I just get a lot of them.

Kheldarn posted:

This was me, but the Rewards app trained me to keep my receipts until it asked for it!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
228.78 since 11/27/13. Google knows I own a business and Google is trying for the life of me to figure out what it is, so I'll have a run of $1.00 surveys every once in a while.

And yeah I just started getting the receipt ones after I go grocery shopping.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deathlove posted:

228.78 since 11/27/13. Google knows I own a business and Google is trying for the life of me to figure out what it is, so I'll have a run of $1.00 surveys every once in a while.

And yeah I just started getting the receipt ones after I go grocery shopping.

I'm surprised they haven't just robo called you.

"Yes hi um this is uh HARRY HENDERSON and I am calling to uh do a business with you."

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
The waterslide park thing is probably a ringer. They do those for fake locations every now and then to weed out people who lie on the surveys (the park doesn't exist, so anyone claiming to have been there is lying for survey bux). I remember a discussion about a similar one a year or so ago.

I saw a discussion on Android Police speculating that the request for receipts is probably training Google image recognition to know and understand receipts visually. Apparently Assistant/Lens is rolling out a feature to recognize receipts and archive them for you.

Also, tip for anyone who didn't know: rewards money expires. You can check when your next bit expires (but not how much?) by going to Account > Payment Methods in the Play store.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
And pretty much anyone can buy them. Back in Feb 2016, I spent $20 on two 100- response 1-question surveys on a whim, both of which were completed in about six hours.

Also, because of the weird way I wind up consuming media, the first and only video ad for the Trump campaign I would up watching came through a Google Opinion Rewards survey, asking me about whether the ad changed how I viewed him as a candidate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Opinion Rewards just broke for me. Any other in Euroland experience the same? Says I need to accept new terms of service, (GDPR I guess) but I just get an instant error message, "setup encountered an error, please try again later". It's so quick, it looks like a bad query or API call, or perhaps connection refused. I guess it's not the best and brightest of Google that gets to work on this.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ola posted:

I think this one does the trick, MortPlayer Audio Books:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.audiobookplayer

Haven't tried it in years though.

e: I use this one for music, Rocket Music player. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer&hl=en It does remember where I was, but the seek function is quite imprecise, which is really annoying with long files.
I wish MortPlayer would get an update, it works great for audiobooks but it's so goddamn ugly.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I had a bunch more Google funbux, but I've been paying for Youtube Red out of that balance for quite a while now. I also seem to still get credit for the receipt-pic surveys without providing the pic, unless I'm getting like half credit or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw a survey for more than something like 40 cents. I just get a lot of them.

Hotel stays & reviews are worth $1.00

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm at $36 across two years. I use my currency for IAPs on gacha games and Trials. For a while it kept asking for Walmart receipts and gave me a dollar per.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Weird. I've been doing surveys in the US for almost four years now ($126 total), and have never had it ask me for a receipt.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I used to get a lot of reward surveys. Then 2017 happened. I guess no one cares after you're 35 :cry:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

I used to get a lot of reward surveys. Then 2017 happened. I guess no one cares after you're 35 :cry:

You turned 35, shacked up with that floozy, and bought a minivan. Google doesn't need to know anything else from here.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

(I'm older than that and get a lot of surveys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I used to get a lot of surveys, then at some point last year or something I started getting all sorts of "which place did you visit recently" surveys where I didn't go to any of the choices*. After a week or so of answering honestly, the surveys dried up. Now I'll get 1-3 a month. That might even be an over estimate.

* There would usually be at least one choice that was like across the street or down the road from where I actually went. I often wonder if I should have just answered with those options to appease the google survey fun bux gods.

tldr: I used to get a lot of surveys like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.