Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Correction, portrait DLC is free at launch (In Japan.) After that, you'll have to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Is it 300 yen each or 300 yen for the whole shebang?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Also I saw at least 2 alternate fencers (boxart fencer!!!). This is a good thing but it seems weird you can use her portrait when she's the final boss.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, Force was not nerfed. That one screenshot showcasing 0% Force was an oddity. You start with 100% of your meters, like with 2U and 5.

Omobono posted:

To be honest, the whole game sounds like it might be just a little bit broken.

What are we missing, Legendary Names confirmation or did I miss that one?

Although I'm glad they're increasing the events' rear end in a top hat content, those seem amazing.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
PSA: Fencer is the best!!!!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
if it's 300yen per portrait, then that's kinda loving expensive just for some jpgs.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Tired Moritz posted:

if it's 300yen per portrait, then that's kinda loving expensive just for some jpgs.

Yeah but it's atlas so you never really know until it releases

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/8332/

Looks like the entire thing is 300 yen - or you can only buy the portrait set of a single game for 100 yen.
Or get all of it for free shortly after release.

Correction:
The five sets for 100 en each are:
EO + EOII
EOIII
EOIV
EOV
10th aniversary special edition

The promotional art pieces are in their respective games, even the EOV DLC portraits.
It looks like aside from the EOV core and DLC portraits none will be customizable - so normal Fencer can get different hair, eye and skin color while cover art Fencer can't, would be my guess.

werbear fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 21, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Fetus posted:

:siren:EVERY SINGLE PORTRAIT IN THE SERIES IS DLC FOR EOX:siren: (For a limited time.) Cost is 300 yen. Also has some new ones to boot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzKET7GLLHU

Also, Force was not nerfed. That one screenshot showcasing 0% Force was an oddity. You start with 100% of your meters, like with 2U and 5.

The First Campaign (EO3) remix. :getin:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
3 heroes all dressed as 3 different fencers <3

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Well technically I only need EO3 and 5 ones but might as well get em all

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
It's literally everything I was hoping they'd do. I don't even mind it being DLC 'cause hey, they feel like they gotta get money out of used copies somehow so whatever. I'll be getting it at launch so it's no skin off my nose.

And Fortress gets a new portrait alongside Landshark. I'm actually not that surprised because Himukai himself has always treated the two of them like co-protagonists. And I used them both as the core of my team so I am super down.

Also, as far as the gal hero alt portrait goes, blame Dragon Quest. Even more than just "oh Japan~~~" or whatever, it's specifically the place the DQ Warrior (and items like the magic swinsuit) have in the wider RPG Zeitgeist in Japan. The Hero is already very heavy with DQ references and is molded after that sort of leading RPG character, so if anything, if an outfit like that didn't exist, fans in Japan would be asking why it doesn't exist.

It'll still seem dumb to a lot of us, but I am absolutely not surprised to see it, especially with how heavy the Hero is with DQ tropes as it stands. And good grief, it's not like we want for other options :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, as far as the gal hero alt portrait goes, blame Dragon Quest. Even more than just "oh Japan~~~" or whatever, it's specifically the place the DQ Warrior (and items like the magic swinsuit) have in the wider RPG Zeitgeist in Japan.

Yeah this was the thing it reminded me of the most so it's kinda just ehh

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Well now my only concern is how they're going to actually fit these portrait options in the UI. EOV and EO2U's portrait selections got a bit awkward if you had DLC, but I can't imagine having to page through 4-8 of every class not directly featured in addition.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just thought it looked stupid. Don't think anyone was really griping about Japan or anything when they revealed that. As people already pointed out, that portrait seems hilariously :effort:

There are new portraits in the DLC, so they're not completely selling us already made assets at least. Better value than the singular portraits in EO5 at any rate.

Handgun Phonics posted:

Well now my only concern is how they're going to actually fit these portrait options in the UI. EOV and EO2U's portrait selections got a bit awkward if you had DLC, but I can't imagine having to page through 4-8 of every class not directly featured in addition.

Oof, good point. Especially if they treat it like the generics in EO5 (Which are in this DLC pack, for the record) and let you use any of those portraits with any class. Given that we have stuff like Yggdroid portraits making it in, I'm pretty sure that's what they're going with.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
At least the dragon quest warrior is hella muscly. I would have accepted it if Hero got hardbodied in her bikini version.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm not sure if I'm more excited for the fact you can do a 5x protector-2 party again, or the fact the EO4 title landy portrait is in. I really like that pose, and think it suits the class more than any of the portraits actually in the game. It looks way more dynamic, despite being barely different.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Jimmy Hats posted:

At least the dragon quest warrior is hella muscly. I would have accepted it if Hero got hardbodied in her bikini version.

This right here is The Valid Criticism. Make 'em ripped as gently caress, Himukai, we know you did it with Wiglaf.

Tyty posted:

I'm not sure if I'm more excited for the fact you can do a 5x protector-2 party again, or the fact the EO4 title landy portrait is in. I really like that pose, and think it suits the class more than any of the portraits actually in the game. It looks way more dynamic, despite being barely different.

I really dig the box art poses for Landy and Fort, though the new ones are cool too. It'll be hard to pick which ones to use.

Oh, the joy of having good problems when previously we were worried it wouldn't happen at all. :allears:

On a related note though, I got to thinking: Pigtailed Fortress is now getting multiple variant portraits, and is even getting a Protagonist Pack portrait. It's safe to say she's getting high billing.

And yet... Fortress isn't a playable class in the game, as far as we know.

:thunk:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

SpaceDrake posted:

On a related note though, I got to thinking: Pigtailed Fortress is now getting multiple variant portraits, and is even getting a Protagonist Pack portrait. It's safe to say she's getting high billing.

And yet... Fortress isn't a playable class in the game, as far as we know.

:thunk:

She's the sub boss before Fencer

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Including a lot more player skills than the classes wouldn't be too far out of the question. Given that for EOU and EO2U, Atlus copied and pasted the entire monster skill table file into the player skill table file to make the Grimoire system with! :wtf:

That said, it depends on how the guests are handled. The stream last night showcased the Medic guest providing a field effect (Passive healing every turn) instead of actually being a battle guest. (And eating up the 6th slot would basically shut down Hero entirely.) So if cross class guests happen, it would probably be in a far more limited effect compared to the rest of the series.

I doubt they're doing unlockable classes again, because that model has several issues, and they've shied away from it entirely in their more recent games.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 22, 2018

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Including a lot more player skills than the classes wouldn't be too far out of the question. Given that for EOU and EO2U, Atlus copied and pasted the entire monster skill table file into the player skill table file to make the Grimoire system with! :wtf:

That said, it depends on how the guests are handled. The stream last night showcased the Medic guest providing a field effect (Passive healing every turn) instead of actually being a battle guest. (And eating up the 6th slot would basically shut down Hero entirely.) So if cross class guests happen, it would probably be in a far more limited effect compared to the rest of the series.

I doubt they're doing unlockable classes again, because that model has several issues, and they've shied away from it entirely in their more recent games.

Ohh, I like the sound of that for guests. As cool* as it was to run a six-man party with a guest character, they usually felt sub-optimal and didn't necessarily mesh with your party except as another body. Turning them into a Mother-esque passive effect sounds like a nice compromise.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

It's literally everything I was hoping they'd do. I don't even mind it being DLC 'cause hey, they feel like they gotta get money out of used copies somehow so whatever. I'll be getting it at launch so it's no skin off my nose.

And Fortress gets a new portrait alongside Landshark. I'm actually not that surprised because Himukai himself has always treated the two of them like co-protagonists. And I used them both as the core of my team so I am super down.

this is a very cute piece of art

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
So, in EO4, how do you generally build a primary-class Runemaster? There's enough tiers of elemental spell that you can't really invest in all of them, but it's definitely worthwhile to have a bunch of different runes. For subclasses, the main synergy I see is Bushi, for a single point of Blood Surge.

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 23, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Handgun Phonics posted:

So, in EO4, how do you generally build a primary-class Runemaster? There's enough tiers of elemental spell that you can't really invest in all of them, but it's definitely worthwhile to have a bunch of different runes. For subclasses, the main synergy I see is Bushi, for a single point of Blood Surge.

i ran a runemaster/imperial and also an imperial/runemaster :unsmigghh:

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i ran a runemaster/imperial and also an imperial/runemaster :unsmigghh:

Do Runemasters have the stats to use Drives? I was somehow under the impression they were Str-based attacks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

Generally people just focus on two elements. The multi-hit skills are what people really focus on if they have a party revolving around a Linksknecht.

Handgun Phonics posted:

Do Runemasters have the stats to use Drives? I was somehow under the impression they were Str-based attacks.

They don't have the stats to do so, and the drives are STR based attacks. The Imperial has a bunch of passives that helps boost the Runemaster's damage, though. Not as much as a Bushi does, but it's less taxing on their HP and TP.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

Come to think of it, do we have any real-world location that Tharsis would correspond to? Etria's japan, high lagaard is somewhere in north~westish europe, armaroad looks decidedly Mediterranean, but all I've got from Tharsis is that they apparently consider it the frontier.

But Racoona is from Ontario, with it's exporting of maple syrup, and other maple products, her very obvious Canadian accent and the frequent mentions of winter, wouldn't put Lagaard in North America?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
you explicitly end up in Tokyo in EO1, don't get too caught up with geography.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Raquna's ontario descended from Little Ontario, a ward in Tokyo that was bought up and developed as an operating base by the canadian mafia in 2027

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So is there any way to block status effect ls from Star Devourer? Because he just randomly says "Eat poo poo" and panics/sleeps half of my party at times.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So is there any way to block status effect ls from Star Devourer? Because he just randomly says "Eat poo poo" and panics/sleeps half of my party at times.

I think the Sound Cannon is the part that lets it do that, so if you're having trouble then prioritize killing or disabling it.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I used a Herald Shaman's Exorcism Prayer against Star Devourer's ailments and it kept my party rather clean.
They are overall a great class for the fight since their buffs can counteract all debuffs SD likes to throw at you.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

New video.

https://twitter.com/SQ_kouhou/status/999575837878829056

Medics now have access to Heavy Strike and Star Drop from EO4. Their Force Boosts and Break are unchanged.

Survivalist's force skills got changed. Their Force Boost, Dream Formation, is basically Airwalk from EO2, increased action speed and evasion for the entire party. Their Force Break is Mirage Arrow. A single-target Stab attack that lowers the target's accuracy and action speed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Medics now have access to Heavy Strike and Star Drop from EO4.
ahh, gently caress

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

ahh, gently caress

Guess what your first 5-of party's gonna be?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

theshim posted:

ahh, gently caress

sometimes I am saddened by the fact that we can't "like" individual posts on this forum

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Here is the first class trailer (EO1 classes: Protector/Paladin, Samurai/Bushido, Medic, Survivalist/Ranger).

Edit: In Japanese, which I don't speak, or I'd summarize what they say about the classes.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 24, 2018

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
I eagerly await whenever they get to Highlander, so I can confirm if they're lazy and still only have two portraits.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Handgun Phonics posted:

I eagerly await whenever they get to Highlander, so I can confirm if they're lazy and still only have two portraits.

it'll be worse than that: more goddamn lolicons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The little kid heroes are really cute.

I want them in my party, but I like the other hero portraits too.

And once again, this series decides to make guild creation something I will waste hours and hours of my life on.

Since we have like 60 guild slots, this game will give us something like the memory conch and training orb, right? Right?