Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
If you really want to see Horizon Signal fire, find two Black Hole systems close to each other, and have a science ship move back and forth between them.

It'll fire. Eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilliman posted:

Most likely not. I haven't done anything with defense stations other than offer medium and large ones in my component mod

Wonder which one it is then, either way I enjoy both it and your component mod.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Staltran posted:

Yeah this is very true. Honestly the biggest change I want at this point is to decouple combat/non-combat sublight speed, so corvettes aren't way faster strategically than big ships. Plus it would help ~my immersion~. Some kind of evasion rework would be nice too, but that's obviously a far more difficult change.

I was going to do this (and also make in-combat speeds much slower to help strikecraft, long range weapons and afterburners), but I couldn't find where the ship speeds are.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Has anyone tried really RP-ing something like a barbaric despoiler or devouring swarm that doesn't give a gently caress about science and is just looking for things to murder? I'm curious how much skipping all the anomalies would gently caress you over in terms of your tech progression.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
trying to find the dev diary or announcement where they talk about removing planetary tiles like people in the thread keep referencing. Also can't find anything regarding all the new events.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you murder enough things eventuallly you gain their technology anyway.

Gay Horney posted:

trying to find the dev diary or announcement where they talk about removing planetary tiles like people in the thread keep referencing. Also can't find anything regarding all the new events.

It was shown at PDXcon, not a dev diary/announcement.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

evenworse username posted:

Has anyone tried really RP-ing something like a barbaric despoiler or devouring swarm that doesn't give a gently caress about science and is just looking for things to murder? I'm curious how much skipping all the anomalies would gently caress you over in terms of your tech progression.

I've done this it's pretty fun. You raid people to get tech from debris which means you can focus on non-ship based techs to research yourself.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
also how do you change your ethics? I want to swap out Pacifist for Xenophile. The reform govt tool says it lets you reform your ethics but it's not listed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

also how do you change your ethics? I want to swap out Pacifist for Xenophile. The reform govt tool says it lets you reform your ethics but it's not listed.

Embrace a faction.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
220 hours, never got the Horizon Signal. What I did get with Distant Stars is science ships that survey half a system and move on. Happened several times in every game since I bought it, usually after skipping anomalies.

I must say I'm a bit torn about the whole clusters thing. On one hand, if I get lucky, I get to wall off great tracts of land by beelining to chokepoints with my surveyer+constructor pairs, on the other - five jumps between my homeworld and a star so close it's probably visible with a naked eye seems a bit excessive.

Also - all those resource rich systems. The record was 32 minerals (and some research) that wasn't even full of space bees.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Be sure that horizon signal is turned on through steam

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is the fungus covered alpha centauri I've found in 2/3 games so far a unique "chiron" reference just for Alpha Centauri?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

DatonKallandor posted:

I was going to do this (and also make in-combat speeds much slower to help strikecraft, long range weapons and afterburners), but I couldn't find where the ship speeds are.

They're in Stellaris/common/ship_sizes/00_ship_sizes.txt:
code:
@speed_very_slow = 80
@speed_slow = 100
@speed_default = 120
@speed_fast = 140
@speed_very_fast = 160
# ...

corvette = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_very_fast
# ...
}
destroyer = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_fast
# ...
}
cruiser = {
# ...	
	max_speed = @speed_default
# ...
}
battleship = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_slow
# ...
}
titan = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_slow
# ...
}
Acceleration and rotation speed are also there. However, the values seem to apply both in and out of combat. So there doesn't seem to be possible to have all ships be as fast out of combat, but have smaller ships be faster in combat. I think you could still make combat speeds slower in general by reducing all of these and increasing SHIP_SUBLIGHT_SPEED_MULT in Stellaris/common/defines/00_defines.txt. The default is 5, which sounds a bit much for being the multiplier for out of combat speed vs combat speed, but it could still be it. SHIP_SPEED_SCALE might also be relevant.

MISSILE_SUBLIGHT_SPEED_MULT might affect strike craft too? The comment says "General speed multiplier for ship movement within solar systems", but they might have just copypasted that from the previous line and forgot to change ship to missile.

There's also MISSILE_BASE_ROTATION_SPEED, but you probably don't need to touch that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Will I be able to do the L Gate event if it's in my Federated Territory? My bird bros have a L Gate in their lands, and we are Federated/+350/Their people make up a solid 20-30% of my Empire at this point.

They should be cool with me doing science experiments in their backyard, yeah?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
This seems... curious. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to this system; it says there's like warp storms or something so I can't just jump my science ships there, at least right now.

Is this kind of anomaly intended? E: Oh, I wonder if it might be due to the extra origins civics; iirc there is a civic which locks a species into a single system to start with, I wonder if a random species can pick that one up.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 24, 2018

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
If it’s like the one in my game, it is only accessible via wormhole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RedSnapper posted:

220 hours, never got the Horizon Signal. What I did get with Distant Stars is science ships that survey half a system and move on. Happened several times in every game since I bought it, usually after skipping anomalies.

I believe that is generally caused by queuing up a lot of survey orders but the game will only let you queue up 99 orders, so the last system you survey won't actually have all its planets queued up.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Have I lost my mind or did the latest patch remove a 'do special project' button from Science ships?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Staltran posted:

They're in Stellaris/common/ship_sizes/00_ship_sizes.txt:
code:
@speed_very_slow = 80
@speed_slow = 100
@speed_default = 120
@speed_fast = 140
@speed_very_fast = 160
# ...

corvette = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_very_fast
# ...
}
destroyer = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_fast
# ...
}
cruiser = {
# ...	
	max_speed = @speed_default
# ...
}
battleship = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_slow
# ...
}
titan = {
# ...
	max_speed = @speed_slow
# ...
}
Acceleration and rotation speed are also there. However, the values seem to apply both in and out of combat. So there doesn't seem to be possible to have all ships be as fast out of combat, but have smaller ships be faster in combat. I think you could still make combat speeds slower in general by reducing all of these and increasing SHIP_SUBLIGHT_SPEED_MULT in Stellaris/common/defines/00_defines.txt. The default is 5, which sounds a bit much for being the multiplier for out of combat speed vs combat speed, but it could still be it. SHIP_SPEED_SCALE might also be relevant.

MISSILE_SUBLIGHT_SPEED_MULT might affect strike craft too? The comment says "General speed multiplier for ship movement within solar systems", but they might have just copypasted that from the previous line and forgot to change ship to missile.

There's also MISSILE_BASE_ROTATION_SPEED, but you probably don't need to touch that.

What happens if you set the max speed of all ships to be equal, but reduce the acceleration and rotation of the larger classes. I would think that it might have the desired effect, and it would even appear Newtonian (because realistically bigger space ships would be just as fast as smaller ones, if not faster due to larger engines and better inertial dampeners / space magic, they would just take more time to get going.)

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 25, 2018

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I wonder if my save is broken, I've got the entirety of the L cluster researched, mined, and in my borders and no events has fired or anything relating to it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

unwantedplatypus posted:

I wonder if my save is broken, I've got the entirety of the L cluster researched, mined, and in my borders and no events has fired or anything relating to it.

Sounded like there's something like a 50/50 chance of anything happening.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I believe that is generally caused by queuing up a lot of survey orders but the game will only let you queue up 99 orders, so the last system you survey won't actually have all its planets queued up.

I don't think it's that - iirc the last time it happened it was in like the 3rd system surveyed. Eh, I'll just try to replicate it when I get home.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Sounded like there's something like a 50/50 chance of anything happening.

60/40, but yeah. Almost half the games it's just an empty pile of resources. The rest of the time it is already inhabited.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Did they tone down the great khan? I got one mid game and while he ate a whole empire I was able to lazily swat away the fleets that were sent at me and then he died. Much less of the multi empire wrecker whose fleets require a coordinated effort to dispatch that I’ve had to deal with 3 or so times before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just had one pop up and did what I could to muster my forces (my fleet got cut off by a shithead rival building into a chokepoint and I couldn't get back to my main space with it), built up a fully stocked star fortress with 12 defense platforms totaling about 12k, plus 9k in corvettes I was able to spam before the 25k fleet arrived.

The 25k fleet turned around, a second 25k fleet hit me from the side, and the main 40k strength fleet moseyed on over to my star fortress. From what my sensors showed they had another 4 25k fleets and about ten 5-9k fleets in their territory after satropying multiple other empires, including my allies. I had to submit as well.

Eventually the khan died and they splintered, they seem to have fixed the "splinter empires have insane fleets" thing too, they seem to each retain one 11k fleet and that's it, which is much more reasonable.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Eventually the khan died and they splintered, they seem to have fixed the "splinter empires have insane fleets" thing too, they seem to each retain one 11k fleet and that's it, which is much more reasonable.

I think a related thing remained non-fixed, in that I had the Khanate survive the death of Khan, and the sole remnant had the doom fleets show up in like the 2nd war we thought, while the UI's strength estimation clearly didn't account for them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
distant stars minor spoiler:

baby amoeba :3:

the experimental subspace jump thing for science vessels is amazing and i love it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found that and when I sent it home it got redirected into khan space and killed and I alt-f4'd right away because nobody is doing Bubbles like that

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

binge crotching posted:

60/40, but yeah. Almost half the games it's just an empty pile of resources. The rest of the time it is already inhabited.

Even though the resources are good, it’s still disappointing as gently caress

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MShadowy posted:

This seems... curious. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to this system; it says there's like warp storms or something so I can't just jump my science ships there, at least right now.

Is this kind of anomaly intended? E: Oh, I wonder if it might be due to the extra origins civics; iirc there is a civic which locks a species into a single system to start with, I wonder if a random species can pick that one up.

That's intended. I had a system like that in my last game, and it had another system with a wormhole close by just like you have with Eknyogol. It was only accessible through that wormhole.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

That's intended. I had a system like that in my last game, and it had another system with a wormhole close by just like you have with Eknyogol. It was only accessible through that wormhole.

It has a nice reward waiting for you in there too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Ark posted:

distant stars minor spoiler:

baby amoeba :3:

the experimental subspace jump thing for science vessels is amazing and i love it

Keep him alive for a while. :3:

Is there an option that defaults to L gates not being in the game or something? I haven't encountered any and its after 2300 and I think I've explored most of the galaxy or have communications with people that do.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Experimental Subspace Navigation won't let you jump to unexplored systems, but Jump Drives still do. If you want to survey absolutely everything you're still going to want to pick up Jump Drives.

ESN is nice for hopping across the galaxy fast and getting a notification popup when they arrive but it doesn't really unlock new options in my experience, it's mostly ease of use.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The top of the stellaris Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/8lrt1z/genocide_needs_to_be_more_efficient/?st=JHLJ779D&sh=f37014cf

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Subspace jump for science ships is amazing, because it makes it a million times easier to do things like the alien animals collection

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

isndl posted:

Experimental Subspace Navigation won't let you jump to unexplored systems, but Jump Drives still do. If you want to survey absolutely everything you're still going to want to pick up Jump Drives.

ESN is nice for hopping across the galaxy fast and getting a notification popup when they arrive but it doesn't really unlock new options in my experience, it's mostly ease of use.

I'm loving ESN. As soon as it researched I jumped halfway across the galaxy to the edge of my furthest contact's territory, then navigated to a special project that had popped off an anomaly in the first decade. The project (Xvan Labs) ended up being not much, but I got to meet the caretaker machine FE, gaze appreciatively at their systems entirely covered in debris field, and find a really good new planet for my empire if I can get a wormhole nearby. Further subspace jumps have put me right in debris-scan range, which is usually a mid-game problem I have, where I'm destroying fleets close to home but my science ships are 120 degrees around the galaxy from me. And once I've scanned the debris, I can jump right back to where I was.

The one problem I have is when a scientist dies and I'm in the middle of a budget crunch and can't afford a new one. I need to either slowboat the ship back home or take someone off research for the jump.

Baronjutter posted:

Is the fungus covered alpha centauri I've found in 2/3 games so far a unique "chiron" reference just for Alpha Centauri?

I'm like 80% certain it is. There's a very rare Hitchhiker's Guide anomaly that gets your scientist a towel, so they're not exactly shying away from things like that. I also found a fungus-covered planet, but I'm not sure if it was Alpha Centauri or not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ms Adequate posted:

Subspace jump for science ships is amazing, because it makes it a million times easier to do things like the alien animals collection
Except when half of the animals are somewhere in a fanatical purifier empire halfway across the galaxy :mad:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dareon posted:

I'm like 80% certain it is. There's a very rare Hitchhiker's Guide anomaly that gets your scientist a towel, so they're not exactly shying away from things like that. I also found a fungus-covered planet, but I'm not sure if it was Alpha Centauri or not.

Hell, there's even a reference to a previous incarnation of this thread.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I wanted to say how impressed I am with 2.1, the AI has gotten much better and I like a lot of the changes. Great job Paradox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skippy McPants posted:

Hell, there's even a reference to a previous incarnation of this thread.

Oldie but goodie.