Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Caught my Mew! :woop: Dragon Tail and Hyper Beam... Could be worse, I guess!

The quest system is Cool and Good (tm) and I hope they keep doing more with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Congrats on getting your Mew

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GonSmithe posted:

If they don't fix it, a level 28 0 IV Tyranitar out-dpses a level 40 100% Golem

good, make IVs even more meaningless

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Psion posted:

As an extremely casual player I can't help but think this is a bad thing. Not the obsoleting or ditching IVs thing, I mean just plain better pokemon than others. I'm not free that community day so I'm sure that's part of my sour grapes.

Then again with the new gym system it's not as bad as it was at release when it meant gyms would be stacked and untoucable for anyone but poopsockers driving in circles from gym to gym for hours a night.
Or would getting this stronger pokemon to 28 cost more dust and candy than getting a golem to 40?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Psion posted:

They've been meaningless since the gym update :ssh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
a good thing

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

As an extremely casual player I can't help but think this is a bad thing. Not the obsoleting or ditching IVs thing, I mean just plain better pokemon than others. I'm not free that community day so I'm sure that's part of my sour grapes.

I think it is sour grapes since you're missing out. which sucks and I'm sorry.

but there have always been better pokemon than others and dedicated players always have more of them which means they're at the maximum possible power advantage already. This doesn't really alter that fact at all.

And the good news is,

Away all Goats posted:

They've been meaningless since the gym update :ssh:

that maximum possible advantage isn't much of anything at all. The entire gym system doesn't care about IVs since they all degrade over time in a gym anyway. Raids are cooperative. There's no direct PVP. And so on. Community days giving tyranitar access to every player isn't widening any gaps.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I thought good IV’s were important, for taking down raids though? When I catch 20 of a legendary, I usually toss stuff below 80 percent.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Larvitars and other rare stuff should be spawning at 10x the rate they do. Maybe 100x. Its insane stuff that without a tracker I can't get a single one of a type thats been available for over a year now, and I'd need to find 20 in the wild to do a full evolve.

I've seen 16 in a year, almost all of them during the rock event when I chased them down with a scanner. Ridiculous. that's out of 14k+ total. So they're rarer than one in a thousand, probably one in ten thousand. Ugh.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 23, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LionArcher posted:

I thought good IV’s were important, for taking down raids though? When I catch 20 of a legendary, I usually toss stuff below 80 percent.

That's just good pokemon storage management. Unless you live in a rural area and/or struggle to get people to raids, it doesn't matter if you have a stable of 100% attackers or not.

The difference between an 80% attacker and a 100% one is pretty much negligible

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I really wish they would implement a filter on the in game tracker. It’s really bad game design to have a tracker full of rattatas, pidgeys, and zigzagoons that obscures a poliwrath.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

slave to my cravings posted:

I really wish they would implement a filter on the in game tracker. It’s really bad game design to have a tracker full of rattatas, pidgeys, and zigzagoons that obscures a poliwrath.

There is apparently a hidden filter that will show Pokémon not in your dex, as shadows, as a priority over other nearby Pokémon. Apart from that you’re poo poo out of luck.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

AirRaid posted:

There is apparently a hidden filter that will show Pokémon not in your dex, as shadows, as a priority over other nearby Pokémon. Apart from that you’re poo poo out of luck.

It exists. I know someone with a low-level account and it reaches pretty far out there to put a new pokemon shadow on your radar, way farther than the standard nearby radar ever does.

When maps were up, both raid coordination and pokemon hunting were a matter of time, nothing else. With both of them down, both of those are significantly tougher. I wonder if/when maps come back, the new thing won't be level 30 bots for accurate IVs, it'll be level 0 bots with empty inventories for better rare coverage?

I feel like Niantic is leaving money on the table by not providing a map or API for maps, but I do have trouble figuring out how they could do it fairly/equally for all players and make money on it. One or the other, no problem. Both, though?

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 24, 2018

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I know Mew has a billion movesets but what are some of the better ones? Mine is currently Poison Jab/Ice Beam and I have a bunch of Fast TMs and Charged TMs wasting space, so I was wondering if I should try for something better.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Ballz posted:

I know Mew has a billion movesets but what are some of the better ones? Mine is currently Poison Jab/Ice Beam and I have a bunch of Fast TMs and Charged TMs wasting space, so I was wondering if I should try for something better.
Personally, I'd say either a dual-Ice or Shadow Claw/Dark Pulse setup. Ice hits a variety of weaknesses including Dragon (Palkia, Reshiram, and Kyurem will only take neutral damage), while Shadow Claw/Dark Pulse does well against upcoming Psychic-type raid bosses. Dual-Electric is an option, though Zapdos or Raikou are better options in that regard (Mew's problem in a nutshell).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any word about what specifically is going to happen with Alolan forms?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

flatluigi posted:

Any word about what specifically is going to happen with Alolan forms?

They’re going to be added to the game. :goonsay:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Articuno next, with a focus on water mon? Yay for desert biomes?

Ah well I still want the next Mew level quest.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Shiny Tyranitar going to lay the Smack Down on your candy rear end shiny Charizard.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm just sitting over here still needing 5 more ghosts :sigh:

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Pez posted:

I'm just sitting over here still needing 5 more ghosts :sigh:

I have had the best luck 7-7:30 am

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

DaStampede posted:

Yep. Woke up at 7:05 today and there was a Shuppet spawned near my house and a Gastly out in the parking lot. Finished that, just churning through raids now.

For what it's worth I can re-confirm that it now only counts unique raid participations.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I'm glad we'll get a potentially rediculous overpowered rock attacker. It means we may need less people to do some raids, which is great until they give us ingress style raid maps. I really hope the legendary birds come back as temporary L5s with shiny chance. My kid and I can just do them alone or help solo people we know.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

DaStampede posted:

I'm up every day at 6:15 to get the kids ready for school and have only seen 1 ghost type since the Fighting event

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/adventureweek2018/

Next event coming up

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://pokemongolive.com/post/adventureweek2018

quote:

There are also incentives to trek around: your Buddy Pokémon will earn Candy 4× faster throughout the event! Plus, you’ll receive extra XP for spinning the Photo Discs at PokéStops or Gyms—up to 10 times the usual amount if this is your first time encountering a unique PokéStop or Gym!

Uuuuhh.... so you're telling me that if I pop a lucky egg I get 10k EXP per new stop I swipe?

edit- It's probably 10x instead of 5x now that I think about it because that would be absurd. So 2k per stop which is the same as double XP.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 24, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Isn't a pokestop 25xp? 10x is 250xp and a lucky egg makes it 500xp.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Isn't a pokestop 25xp? 10x is 250xp and a lucky egg makes it 500xp.
I hosed up a bit, but this is also wrong. Regular pokestops are 50xp, new pokestops are 250xp. So it will most likely be 500 per new stop or 1000 with lucky egg. I thought new stops were 500, but that's how much it is with a lucky egg.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
The first visit to a new pokestop gets 250xp, so 2500 with the event and 5k if you've got a lucky egg running.

e. unless they mean 10 times from the regular spin of 25, not 10 time the bonus... I don't know :psyduck:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Keep in mind with this event we'll likely see shinies of some sort.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

BrainMeats posted:

The first visit to a new pokestop gets 250xp, so 2500 with the event and 5k if you've got a lucky egg running.

e. unless they mean 10 times from the regular spin of 25, not 10 time the bonus... I don't know :psyduck:

Yeah, I'm assuming it's going to be 10x INSTEAD of 5x, not 10x what it already is, because even at 5k per new stop that's pretty absurd.

It's worded badly.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Based on the ones used in the image, we'd have alien green Kabutops, purple Omastar, hot pink Cradily, and Barney purple Aerodactyl.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anyone else having trouble logging in with a Google account?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Is there a limit on how many encounters I can stack up? I’ve got to be near 50 at this point.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is there a limit on how many encounters I can stack up? I’ve got to be near 50 at this point.

Encounters of what?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Omanyte, Kabuto and Aerodactyl shinies are out there.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Encounters of what?

From research rewards.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Arrgytehpirate posted:

From research rewards.

Oh got it, I think the max is 99..?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arrgytehpirate posted:

are you just not doing encounter rewards and saving them for a lucky egg or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Adventure Week happens to fall on my vacation :c00l:

• Locked thread