Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BarronsArtGallery posted:

It's pretty obvious that the fuel used in those bombers / transports would barely make a drop into the tank on that massive loving flagship. Plus they might not even use the same type of fuel. But for all its majesty and technological knowledge, how the galaxy hasn't invented nuclear powered engines for their bigass flagships is beyond me.

uhm, I might be mistaken, but isn't Clone Wars the TV show not cannon anymore? Only Rebels is correct? Or was Darth Maul in Rebels? I've seen neither, but I know he's in Clone Wars and the story about his brother and him running a syndicate and all that poo poo with robot legs and fml so dumb.

Clones Wars and Rebels are both canon. Clone Wars was the only non movie thing declared canon after the buyout. And anyways, the fight with Kenobi happens in Rebels, not Clone Wars, so this is irrelevant.

This fight, posted on the last page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gonz posted:

Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney are the real life version of every default Create-A-Character videogame slate.

it's weird because Jai Courtney was good in Spartacus and launched a career from it and was never as good as Spartacus.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
That fight in Rebels is probably legit my favorite fight in the series. So samurai film. And these are laser swords that maim on contact, that poo poo shouldn't last more than 30 seconds 60% of the time.

I'm excited for Solo tonight. It feels extraneous and unnecessary, but gently caress it, everything since 1999 outside the books and comics has kinda felt that way. They can't release a new Star Wars every calendar year and expect me 'not' to be a total whore. :unsmith:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The fight in Rebels happens after Solo, so they've only retconned Maul back to life once so far.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Calico Heart posted:

I guess I shouldn't ever be surprised what dorks complain about in TLJ but for real "we need fuel" is a concept people don't like?

I don't think anyone objectively hates spaceships having fuel and I think everyone assumed the ships used fuel, the whole chase scene in TLJ was just super convoluted with a bunch of elements working a really specific way that seemed to have a huge list of rules that had never been in star wars before, so there was a ton of specifics about how speed and shields and fuel and cloaking worked or didn't work that felt like problem solving by technobabble that isn't normally very star wars.

What was and wasn't possible for anyone to do or not do felt very fuzzy for a lot of the movie. It made it hard to engage in parts of the plot. Star wars normally either explains things or hand waves over them with "don't worry how it works", this was an extended scene with a bunch of sci-fi systems that were all vital with no real guidance on how to keep track of whats what.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Clones Wars and Rebels are both canon. Clone Wars was the only non movie thing declared canon after the buyout.

Not entirely accurate: the Darth Maul Son of Dathomir comic miniseries from Dark Horse is still canonical (though it was based on unproduced Clone Wars Episodes; so it still kinda falls under that banner)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think movie audiences should have to have seen a tie-in cartoon or read a tie-in comic to understand what's going on in a movie. All that stuff is essentially bonus content in my mind. It doesn't seem entirely fair on the audience to me. If they go forward with Darth Maul in the movies, I'd like to think they'd recap the high points of the stuff that's happened with him since TPM, but I realise that could be potentially be difficult to do without being clumsy given how much stuff there's been.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That may have been true back before the canon reset...but the Story Group has been super big on how everything is of equal weight, continuity wise, now.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

That may have been true back before the canon reset...but the Story Group has been super big on how everything is of equal weight, continuity wise, now.

Even if it’s of equal weight, it’s not not of equal popularly and expecting a movie audience to have complete knowledge of it is unreasonable. It works fine with stuff like Saw Gerrera, where you can get his deal even if you didn’t see the shows, but with a revived movie character like Maul that just gets confusing.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Having not watched the cartoons, does TCW/Rebels version of Maul keep his old EU pre TPM backstory? I always liked the stuff with Sidious taking him from his home as a child and raising him as a Sith in a sort of evil version of the golden age Jedi way of training. The dynamic of Maul seeing Sidious as more abusive demanding father than master and basically being groomed to fight a holy war he probably doesn’t really care about for his own reasons was good stuff and I feel like would add to the vendetta he’d have with Sidious post-TPM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The movies will obviously override the cartoons et al. when and where they need to, since they're what makes money (Solo notwithstanding lol), but my view is that most people are going to be spending money on cinema tickets and they shouldn't be expected to shell out for some comic book or video game to understand where something in the movie has come from.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mandrel posted:

Having not watched the cartoons, does TCW/Rebels version of Maul keep his old EU pre TPM backstory? I always liked the stuff with Sidious taking him from his home as a child and raising him as a Sith in a sort of evil version of the golden age Jedi way of training. The dynamic of Maul seeing Sidious as more abusive demanding father than master and basically being groomed to fight a holy war he probably doesn’t really care about for his own reasons was good stuff and I feel like would add to the vendetta he’d have with Sidious post-TPM

Son of Dathomir and Star Wars: Darth Maul explore a little bit of Maul's history - the former using scripts from The Clone Wars and the latter set some time before TPM

It's really frustrating that series that should've gone on for so much longer only get a five issue mini-series dedicated to them, such as Star Wars: Anakin & Obi-Wan taking place during Anakin's padawan days, three years after TPM

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's hard to think of a bigger group of frauds working today than the "Story Group" in this rando's humble opinion

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They're telling a story

Not their fault the fans aren't fans of the direction they've gone in

I wonder what those kinds of fans' fanfiction look like

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Everything is of equal weight to the people who are aware that there is a story group and that they have assigned everything equal weight.

To normal people, the films are the heaviest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movies will obviously override the cartoons et al. when and where they need to, since they're what makes money (Solo notwithstanding lol), but my view is that most people are going to be spending money on cinema tickets and they shouldn't be expected to shell out for some comic book or video game to understand where something in the movie has come from.

The whole point of the Story Group existing at all is so the films don't end up overwriting anything.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Wait Darth Maul is in Solo , what the gently caress

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The whole point of the Story Group existing at all is so the films don't end up overwriting anything.

I shall leave aside any point I made on conflicts between media and reiterate that I don't believe anyone going into a movie that they've paid for a ticket to see should be expected to have paid to read a comic or watch a cartoon to understand what's going on in that movie. The movies are the main event no matter what the story group's role in all this may be; everything else ties into those movies.

It's like how Agents of SHIELD will never drive the narrative direction of the MCU. It'll always be following the movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

To be fair, if the EU didn't exist, Maul coming back would be the standard, "Whaaaa? I thought he was dead!" twist that can happen in movies and shows and comic books all the time. It's that old rule of, "If you don't see a body, he's not dead." You saw him with his lower torso cut off and falling, but who cares? This is Star Wars where they seem to be able to heal anything. Point is he's alive. That the cartoon shows have already covered how he came back kinda doesn't matter. What matters is what they do with him now.

The answer is probably not much, because we know he only has a few years to live at most. But an immediate sequel can have him taking a more direct role, and having some off-hand lines about how he had to repair his broken body and build up this criminal empire of his own, blah blah blah, and you're totally good from an only-the-movies perspective. The further info is there, but you don't need it to get the story in front of you.

This is of course assuming they do something interesting with him and don't gently caress it up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's hard to think of a bigger group of frauds working today than the "Story Group" in this rando's humble opinion

It’s very bad and a large part of why the Disney Wars are so bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, not really, because they haven't had much to do yet. Mostly the books and shows have been staying far away from any new movies time lines so as to not force a confrontation they would almost absolutely lose, which hurts the EU, sure, but has had zero effect on the movies. This Maul thing is the closest they've come.

Like, what has the story group done that has had a detrimental effect on the movies, in your mind? Unless you were complaining about it's effect on the EU.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Is it weird how the two spin-off movies go to great lengths to depict the war between the Rebellion and the Empire as all-encompassing, impacting every planet in the galaxy, when the main sequel trilogy doesn't depict their war that way at all?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Like, what has the story group done that has had a detrimental effect on the movies, in your mind? Unless you were complaining about it's effect on the EU.

In which event, the story group is almost exactly the same team that served the same purpose before Lucasfilm was owned by Disney, but I don't think anyone ever seriously thought the EU was going to be significantly different (never mind better or worse) once it changed hands.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

they're more a symptom than a cause imo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pospysyl posted:

Is it weird how the two spin-off movies go to great lengths to depict the war between the Rebellion and the Empire as all-encompassing, impacting every planet in the galaxy, when the main sequel trilogy doesn't depict their war that way at all?

It's brilliantly subverting established facts about the setting

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I shall leave aside any point I made on conflicts between media and reiterate that I don't believe anyone going into a movie that they've paid for a ticket to see should be expected to have paid to read a comic or watch a cartoon to understand what's going on in that movie. The movies are the main event no matter what the story group's role in all this may be; everything else ties into those movies.

It's like how Agents of SHIELD will never drive the narrative direction of the MCU. It'll always be following the movies.

I mean...nobody's telling you that you HAVE TO read comics or watch the shows; you're perfectly free to skip installments in the narrative if you want.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Even though the comics are probably the best part of the NuCanon

The "Darth Vader" and "Star Wars" comics are also in the process of showing the Empire taking over Mon Cala before ANH and then them rebelling from their rule after ANH respectively, which is an interesting storytelling technique

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

they're more a symptom than a cause imo

there's a now infamous interview by the writer of Dr. Strange on Double Toasted where the dude is just fellating marvel studios about how it's all nerd guys talking about cool nerd stuff and it very much feels like the same problem, it's storytelling by corporate boardroom committee, which is why everything is so by the book and uninspired, when it's not being groan-worthy

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vinylshadow posted:

Even though the comics are probably the best part of the NuCanon

The "Darth Vader" and "Star Wars" comics are also in the process of showing the Empire taking over Mon Cala before ANH and then them rebelling from their rule after ANH respectively, which is an interesting storytelling technique

Those comics were what convinced me I was right about NuCanon at first (In that it was better than Legends). It of course helps that they were the only substantial piece of NuCanon that existed for a while. My opinion of course has soured now that more and more crap keeps getting released and NuCanon has become its own unique flavor of stupid.

As to why it ended up stupid is related to what Thrawn said about having movies it can't compete with. Abrams/Disney wanted to reset everything back to ANH? So the EU has to tell stories that make everyone stupid and illogical enough that something like that could happen. Trilogy not only not finished but not even planned out in even the broadest strokes? EU can only tell inconsequential stories that happen around ANH just like the pitfall Legends often fell into.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Solo - A Jacques Brel head in a jar story

widunder
May 2, 2002
I don’t know about other countries but this hasn’t had any advertising money thrown at it here at all. I saw it with an audience of 17 the evening after opening night. I think this probably won’t do as well as the other Disney Star Wars. For good reason because it’s pretty bad (and I like Disney Star Wars quite a bit).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So the Hollywood Reporter is saying that the dude who did the Wolverine movies is directing a Boba Fett movie.

Endless trash dot GIF

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Put CGI count dooku in it for 30 seconds imo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I just can't believe they brought back Darth Maul. What total garbage.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

widunder posted:

Solo - A Jacques Brel head in a jar story

ne me quitte pas- a rancor love story.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

So the Hollywood Reporter is saying that the dude who did the Wolverine movies is directing a Boba Fett movie.

Endless trash dot GIF

God drat it, I'm a huge Mangold fanboy, but him doing Star Wars--a solo Boba Fett movie, no less--leaves me absolutely cold.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

God drat it, I'm a huge Mangold fanboy, but him doing Star Wars--a solo Boba Fett movie, no less--leaves me absolutely cold.

Yeah, I have absolutely zero interest in a Fett movie and was glad when Josh Trank got booted from it because then he could do something else.

Make another Cop Land instead, Mangold!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Maybe the Boba movie will deliver unto us a more western movie feel (Aren't most of those a lovely shade of brown as well, which seems to be a popular aesthetic nowadays?)

And probably follow up on Beckett's casual mention of killing a bounty hunter, because continuity or something

I'm looking forward to the mockery of Boba being a BAMF in a film, and then losing to a blind guy with a stick

TWICE

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Let's take a character whose primary appeal is being mysterious and enigmatic and make a movie filling in every detail of his life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Mangold is a perfect choice if the film is a reskinned 3:10 Yuma and Boba Fett is not the main character.