Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jason Bateman really comes off as a real life Michael Bluth, holy poo poo. That role must not be much of a stretch for him.

That whole situation was really forced and awkward, though. If the entire thing was supposed to be an interview about the allegations against Tambor, that's one thing, but they were talking about the show and Trump and then they just sorta insert that stuff in there, which is going to change the vibe of the discussion entirely. I don't think Bateman and Cross were expecting the changeup and were trying to keep things light.

Not that it's an excuse for pushing Jessica Walter's feelings to the curb. Like, wow, I've never used the term "mansplaining" before, but that's exactly why that word was invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Will Arnett didn't seem to say anything bad in the interview to me. All the other men though, wow.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Arnett made one jokey quip early on and, I think once he realized the direction the conversation was going, shut up from then on. Smart move.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They come off horribly in that interview but I'm still surprised that Tambor is doing press for this. It's an ensemble cast and as mentioned in the thread his role has gotten more and more peripheral over the seasons. You'd think they would have just told him to stay home

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think the show would carry on fine without Tambor to be honest. George was always funniest in relation to the situation he was in, not so much his character.

Also, I do think it's plausible that Tambor isn't a sexmonster, but is just a regular piece of poo poo. I don't think he should be involved going forward.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Funny this is, if they had stuck to the original plan of the pilot all those years ago, they wouldn't have any of these problems, because George and Tobias were only supposed to appear in the first episode.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Funny this is, if they had stuck to the original plan of the pilot all those years ago, they wouldn't have any of these problems, because George and Tobias were only supposed to appear in the first episode.

And beyond that, had they stuck to that plan, we absolutely would not be discussing a season 5, or even have any reason to discuss it beyond 2004

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Just drop Tambor and have Super Dave be the surrogate for George Sr again.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I honestly feel like they could just kill him off and it would be way more interesting. Michael would be more pushed into the role of Patriarch and if George/Oscar both died Lucille would really be leaning on Buster. I think there's stuff to mine there idk

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What if they just fire Tambor and get the actor who plays Oscar instead?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Or Michael Cera, who'll soon be closer to George's age than George Michael's.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Here's a thought: if they can't do the show without the majority of the male cast being weirdo assholes and mansplaining jerks, maybe just don't do any more AD? :shrug:

Season 4 wasn't all that great and season 5 already kinda felt like it might be heading towards "going to the well once too often" territory even before that interview. At this point I don't even want to watch the older episodes any more.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
They need to cut out their poo poo. S4 was good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Davros1 posted:

How would that have worked?

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I was perfectly happy with the way Season 3 ended the series. And despite me finding Season 4 to be the weakest season I still enjoyed it well enough, but I was flabbergasted by the hubris to end the season on a cliffhanger with Hurwitz promising it to be the build up to the previously promised movie; A movie that didn't manage to get off the ground during the seven years the show had been off the air, and after a revival that still couldn't get the entire cast back together.

Now five years later, it looks like the movie idea has finally been ditched and we have a second revival. I wasn't even all the excited for the show coming back for a fifth season to begin with. At this point it just feels like an epilogue that's going on for a little too long. And that interview certainly didn't help my feelings on the series.

I still haven't decided whether or not I'll watch season 4. I'm totally fine with others watching it. I don't think our morality is defined by the entertainment we consume. I just don't know if I feel comfortable now, knowing what I know about the show's male actors' attitudes towards harassment and how willing they are to defend Tambor's actions and dismiss Walter's own experiences.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've never looked up to any actors or people in entertainment as paragons of virtue, and honestly, I just kind of assume most are lovely due to their wealth insulating them. Which is fitting because the show is literally about wealthy people being insulated from having to act normal or positively.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Will Arnett didn't seem to say anything bad in the interview to me. All the other men though, wow.

Will Arnett is a noted bad dude and didn't want to make himself look worse.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I finished my screeners for season 5, which didn't include episode 8 so I don't know how this half-season ends.

Tambor is actually barely used. He's in it a lot but he's subdued and only has a couple bigger moments/scenes. Easily the smallest and weakest storyline of the main cast, besides Lindsay who is barely in the show.

I liked it more than season 4. Any plots that are carried over from that season are streamlined and handled well. There isn't any egregious green screen, except for one scene with Portia de Rossi that stood out.

Surprisingly, Alia Shawkat got the biggest laughs from me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

precision posted:

Will Arnett is a noted bad dude and didn't want to make himself look worse.

What has Arnett done?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What has Arnett done?

Sit Down, Shut Up. I think he owes everyone an apology for that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bateman was in that too right?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

I finished my screeners for season 5, which didn't include episode 8 so I don't know how this half-season ends.

Tambor is actually barely used. He's in it a lot but he's subdued and only has a couple bigger moments/scenes. Easily the smallest and weakest storyline of the main cast, besides Lindsay who is barely in the show.

I liked it more than season 4. Any plots that are carried over from that season are streamlined and handled well. There isn't any egregious green screen, except for one scene with Portia de Rossi that stood out.

Surprisingly, Alia Shawkat got the biggest laughs from me.

Shawkat, easily, had the best episode of season 4, and I say this as someone who liked that season a lot. Shawkat's drat good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What has Arnett done?

I could have sworn Poehler had a lot of bad things to say about him when they divorced, but it appears she didn't do that after all. I guess I was thinking of Fred Armisen.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
what's the remix of s4? Does it add new scenes, put stuff in chronological order, both?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

what's the remix of s4? Does it add new scenes, put stuff in chronological order, both?

Some new scenes, some new jokes. It does put stuff in chronological order (mostly, kind of). It's good but the original cut is probably better.

The best new joke is probably in the very first episode, but there's other good ones.

precision posted:

I could have sworn Poehler had a lot of bad things to say about him when they divorced, but it appears she didn't do that after all. I guess I was thinking of Fred Armisen.

It was widely thought their divorce wasn't amicable, and he cheated on her.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

Some new scenes, some new jokes. It does put stuff in chronological order (mostly, kind of). It's good but the original cut is probably better.

The best new joke is probably in the very first episode, but there's other good ones.

hmm...I wasn't a huge fan of the S4 pacing, I guess I'll watch the remix in prep for S5.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Nichael posted:

Shawkat, easily, had the best episode of season 4, and I say this as someone who liked that season a lot. Shawkat's drat good.

Yeah, she's always been really good but there were some laugh out loud moments this time, which I rarely got from Maeby.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Everyone can relax. It's all okay. David Cross just said he's never witness an outburst from Tambor, but he did see one from Walter. So everybody loses their cool, and it's no big deal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nichael posted:

Yes, that's what I was thinking of, thank you. My brain doesn't work so well these days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Everyone can relax. It's all okay. David Cross just said he's never witness an outburst from Tambor, but he did see one from Walter. So everybody loses their cool, and it's no big deal.

Wait, are you loving kidding me? Or am I getting whooshed by a "Cross is a douchebag" joke?

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Timby posted:

Wait, are you loving kidding me? Or am I getting whooshed by a "Cross is a douchebag" joke?

http://gothamist.com/2018/05/24/david_cross_arrested_development.php

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yikes. Although he did say that he saw Tambor go nuts once.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Its like that whole interview is some meta insight into their characters, without them realizing this of course.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Saw an interview with Bateman on Colbert recently that didn't have a good look for Bateman either. He was talking about a taxi fender bender he was in with Arnett and kept referring to Arnett as Madam and Lady because of how Arnett was reacting to the accident. Came off as a bit misogynistic when I saw it but worse in retrospect after I read that piece.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nichael posted:

Cheating on someone is a personally upsetting thing to do, obviously, but it's also a private matter and doesn't really make him a noted "bad dude."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DuhSal posted:

Saw an interview with Bateman on Colbert recently that didn't have a good look for Bateman either. He was talking about a taxi fender bender he was in with Arnett and kept referring to Arnett as Madam and Lady because of how Arnett was reacting to the accident. Came off as a bit misogynistic when I saw it but worse in retrospect after I read that piece.

Yeah I was going to mention that too. It was really awkward because nobody was reacting to that little running joke and he just kept trying to make it happen. I think people were genuinely confused, at first, then uncomfortable.

I'm still going to watch season 5, because actors are really just part of the equation of what makes a show good, but all this does dampen my enthusiasm a little. (Though I was never really under the impression these were a bunch of morally upstanding folks to begin with.) However, I do wonder about -- and somewhat endorse -- the possibility that delaying the second half of season 5 could be used as a way to retool the ending based on how the winds are blowing. If they weren't already planning on wrapping up the series, perhaps they should strongly consider it at this point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PriorMarcus posted:

Cheating on someone is a personally upsetting thing to do, obviously, but it's also a private matter and doesn't really make him a noted "bad dude."

Eh it makes him a bad dude.

Not helping around the house is a personal matter that doesn’t make him a bad dude.

You know something annoying but ultimately trivial

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

However, I do wonder about -- and somewhat endorse -- the possibility that delaying the second half of season 5 could be used as a way to retool the ending based on how the winds are blowing. If they weren't already planning on wrapping up the series, perhaps they should strongly consider it at this point.

I personally would be very up for this. But I don’t know the actual status of the second half.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Escobarbarian posted:

I personally would be very up for this. But I don’t know the actual status of the second half.

I'm sure they could piece something together with Ron Howard voiceovers and greenscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I doubt there is anything left to film since the show already wrapped for cast back in november

also it's weird to say blanketly "Cheating on your spouse makes you a bad dude" because we dont have the slightest window into their relationship. If you've ever been in a relationship with someone who emotionally abuses you or mentally abuses you, sometimes loving someone else is the only way to get any sense of self worth back into your life.

• Locked thread