Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
That sounds horrifying. I’d buy a UPS to feed your PC before it gets fried.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about electricity but I do know UPS’s turn poo poo power to good power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It sounds like there could be some crazy poo poo going on with the wiring on that circuit at least, do you have any issues with things other than your PC?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have the same problem with other circuits? You said it happens with your vacuum cleaner sometimes. I assume you're not using the same outlet for the vacuum as your computer, but is it on the same breaker?

Also yeah, get yourself a UPS. I'd be terrified of my computer getting fried if that happened.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have the same problem with other circuits? You said it happens with your vacuum cleaner sometimes. I assume you're not using the same outlet for the vacuum as your computer, but is it on the same breaker?

Also yeah, get yourself a UPS. I'd be terrified of my computer getting fried if that happened.

Yes that is a different outlet but same breaker. Neighbor has the same problem. So this might be damaging the PSU? Can you recommend me an UPS? I am in Norway if that matters.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I would also suggest simply replacing the breaker - they go bad sometimes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, get a UPS. Also test the vacuum a bunch in areas on a different breaker to see if it’s likely to just be that breaker, though. I don’t know what Norwegian wiring is like, but in the ‘70s in America we still used aluminum wiring with cloth insulation, so it’s entirely possible that there is something wrong with the wiring. Best to test the easily fixed parts with something less valuable than a computer first, though.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Thanks for all the advice dudes, been looking into an UPS.

I did just read a review of my PSU, Corsair RM650x 650W, and it says that the PSU's capacitors draw as much as 3000W for a couple of milliseconds as you power the PSU on. Would this also kill an UPS? Am i better off buying a new PSU?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Miguel Prado posted:

Thanks for all the advice dudes, been looking into an UPS.

I did just read a review of my PSU, Corsair RM650x 650W, and it says that the PSU's capacitors draw as much as 3000W for a couple of milliseconds as you power the PSU on. Would this also kill an UPS? Am i better off buying a new PSU?

No, I'd keep your PSU and get a UPS to cover voltage drops from the mains supply which is what you're dealing with. Just make sure you get something that's 1000VA to 1500VA and sine-wave if possible.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Rexxed posted:

No, I'd keep your PSU and get a UPS to cover voltage drops from the mains supply which is what you're dealing with. Just make sure you get something that's 1000VA to 1500VA and sine-wave if possible.

I think I will pick up a BlueWalker PW UPS VI 1200 SH then. Seems to meet the requirements?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The manual says "simulated" sine wave, which is a new term to me but I'm guessing it means that it's a stepwise approximation of a sine wave instead of the real deal. In the past those have been not ideal with active PFC power supplies, which are basically all power supplies worth a drat these days, since they could potentially cause a brownout when the switchover occurred. It might be good to check around and verify that other users of this UPS haven't had any problems running a recent PC on it if you can't find an affordable model that advertises true sine wave output.

e: compare with this model I'm familiar with, where the marketing materials make sure to let you know that it's a pure sine output and active PFC compatible

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 21, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

+1 vote for these Cyberpower models. They are silent in standby, use relatively little standby power and stay cool. I don’t know enough about electronics to comment on the true sine wave characteristics but apparently that’s what you want with today’s PFC PSUs.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

The CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD exists as CYBERPOWER CP900EPFCLCD over here in Europe it seems. Will 900VA be enough? Next step up is the CP1300EPFCLCD which costs a bit more than I was looking to spend.

eames
May 9, 2009

I have that exact model and it works well. It consumes less power than the larger models but the run time is extremely short. I had some problems with a small OEM PSU shutting down during power transitions but to be fair that was likely the 200W PC PSU not meeting the required ATX specs for hold-up time.
My Cyberpower is able to cold-boot beefy PSUs (850W in my case) off mains so it should be perfect for your inrush current problems.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

FCKGW posted:

If you have a modular power supply, plug in the sata power cable to the PSU and hook it up to the controller.

I should've been more specific, I don't have any additional cables for the PSU (donated the unneeded rest after last PC build which didn't need one since it was EATX mobo). What is that specific cable you circled called? Googled/newegg'd "sata power cable" and find nothing like it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hold The Ashes posted:

I should've been more specific, I don't have any additional cables for the PSU (donated the unneeded rest after last PC build which didn't need one since it was EATX mobo). What is that specific cable you circled called? Googled/newegg'd "sata power cable" and find nothing like it.

They're not standard, and even if you find another cable that is keyed the same way you can fry your hard drives doing this (ask me how I know!). If you tossed the cables then they'e gone, don't even try to replace it.

If you still have the 4-pin molex connectors on the PSU (the ones just to the right of the circled cables) you can get a simple Molex-to-SATA power adapter and power it that way.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 22, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

FCKGW posted:

They're not standard, and even if you find another cable that is keyed the same way you can fry your hard drives doing this (ask me how I know!). If you tossed the cables then they'e gone, don't even try to replace it.

If you still have the 4-pin molex connectors on the PSU (the ones just to the right of the circled cables) you can get a simple Molex-to-SATA power adapter and power it that way.

I think I'm doing a really bad job of saying what the problem is because that's not making sense to me. To make it clearer (and to stop wasting your time) I'll make it clearer. I'm trying to get these 3 fans into my case, they seem to be 4 pin. I'll just forget about the fan controller in the case, what I'd like to do is just connect these fans straight to the PSU but I don't know what that cable is called. My only hard drive in the PC is an m.2 SSD so I have no sata cables or anything that could get fried (I think).

My motherboard only has 2 chasis fan headers which are already being used, as is the CPU's 2 fan headers.

PSU: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYGFRL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00650P2ZC/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 22, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i have like 10 noctua fans dont they all come with adapters and Y splits in every package

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hers the problem though, you said you threw the cables away, yes? So how about you tell us what cables are actually attached to your PSU then? Is it just the ones permanently attached like the big ATX connection and the CPU? No sata, molex, anything else?

If that’s the case then you can use something like a 4-pin fan power splitter. Plugs into the motherboard and gives you 3 plugs instead of one.

https://m.newegg.com/productlist?keyword=4%20pin%20fan%20splitter

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
That's exactly what I was needing and somehow forgot a fan splitter existed.

Thanks for the help.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I have a new build with a decently big case and a motherboard that has one m.2 slot. It's an AMD Ryzen build.

My question is, should I use my current 2.5" Crucial MX300 275GB SSD which I would pull from a working build that's planned to be sold once the Ryzen build is complete, or buy a new Samsung 860 EVO 250GB m.2 SATA SSD? If I sell my current SSD, I'd probably lose about $25 compared to the cost of a new one. I've had it for about 7 months. Cost of a new 860 EVO: $83.99 on Newegg. I'd sell my MX300 for $65-70. Is $15-25 worth it for less cabling and potentially higher speed and more TBW with the 860 EVO?

I'm leaning towards doing it because it's the fuuture but also not because the current one should last me a while. Or getting the 500GB 860 EVO so there's a size increase as well, but TBH I'm fine with the 275GB SSD since I'm used to keeping my media on spinning rusty platters.

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2018

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
No, going from one SATA SSD to another isn't a big upgrade, it might be worth considering if you were looking at a PCI-E SSD like a 970 Evo.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Alereon posted:

No, going from one SATA SSD to another isn't a big upgrade, it might be worth considering if you were looking at a PCI-E SSD like a 970 Evo.

Yeah, I basically came to the same conclusion. For a while I was considering a last-gen WD Black 256GB NVMe drive but I think I'll just hang tight and wait till the 500GB ones are at $100.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a thread for computer speakers? If not, does anyone have any recommendations?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Turkson posted:

Is there a thread for computer speakers? If not, does anyone have any recommendations?

There's a thread in IYG:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It gets a bit deep so I'll just say I've been happy with a Logitech two speaker + subwoofer unit, but I'm no audiophile.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Turkson posted:

Don't go that road. It doesn't end well.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOPS
Wouldn't the hobbyist builds in the "Cost of computing" section be too horribly bottlenecked to deliver the performance described?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leroy Dennui posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOPS
Wouldn't the hobbyist builds in the "Cost of computing" section be too horribly bottlenecked to deliver the performance described?

No, because just having a bunch of FLOPS available is kinda meaningless these days and has been for a while. It doesn't really tell you what can be done directly, so those low end CPUs in the article don't matter much. You would be able to say, run a bunch of floating point operations and feed it back out to another system for further consideration just fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turkson posted:

I’ve had my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set for 8 years and I haven’t heard of anything that beats it aside from a home audio speaker/amp/receiver setup.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

So before I could get the UPS my Corsair RM650x 650W PSU died a dramatic death. Can anyone recommend me an alternative?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It should still be under warranty, right?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'd try to get a warranty replacement but if you can't wait for the RMA process the 650 Watt EVGA G3 is $69.99:
https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-220-G3-0750-X1/dp/B01LYGFRL6/

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
really kinda weird/dumb question - i'm trying to overhaul my current laptop and the mobo has a qm57 chipset. From what i've been looking up it can handle an i7le or i7ue (the laptop shipped with both of those as options, along with the i5 i currently have). Given that it's such an older chipset (1st gen baby!) is there a better/worse one to get? I've found a bunch of reasonably priced "OEM" processors, but which one is better? What were the differences between them? All i can find is that the ue vs le have different power consumption and that it's kinda like comparing the core m3 to an i3, but I'm just curious as to which would be a better option for trying to extend battery life and also increase performance. From reading the instructions, even though it claims it's an embedded processor, it can be swapped out for another with the same socket.

If this belongs in the build a pc threat more than here, I'll gladly move it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You might try asking in the laptop megathread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=695&perpage=40

Be sure to specify the make and model of your laptop

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does your laptop even have a socketed CPU you can replace, or is it soldered to the motherboard?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Arivia posted:

Does your laptop even have a socketed CPU you can replace, or is it soldered to the motherboard?

"From reading the instructions, even though it claims it's an embedded processor, it can be swapped out for another with the same socket."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"From reading the instructions, even though it claims it's an embedded processor, it can be swapped out for another with the same socket."

well I obviously can't

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Is there even a line of laptops out there that does use socketed CPU's to allow upgrades? I can't remember ever hearing of a laptop where the CPU is soldered in and you can't do a drat thing about it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It depends on the laptop. A good start is to look up the CPU it currently has and see if it's a replaceable model.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ProjektorBoy posted:

Is there even a line of laptops out there that does use socketed CPU's to allow upgrades? I can't remember ever hearing of a laptop where the CPU is soldered in and you can't do a drat thing about it.

Actually, this was the standard thing - socketed laptop CPUs - until the current very thin laptop trend. I know I upgraded my Dell Latitude D800 back in the day (both GPU and CPU!!). Instead of a lever you have a little screw you turn to lock the CPU in to the socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Doesnt the clevo guys basically sell a shell that you can upgrade