Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
I just started playing EO4 as my first EO game, and it’s really fun so far!

I’ve heard the series is super hard/complex in general, though, so I wanted to check in here before I get too far: are there any newbie traps in the game? Anything I should know in terms of general tips/strategies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Most skills have diminishing returns after leveling them up halfway due to the subclass g mechanic. There are also some skills that don't play nice together. I think speedboost and fan dance are the biggest offenders.

Binds and ailments are usually very good as well as anything that boosts their effectiveness. Use a skill calculator to see how effective abilities really are.

Edit: always carry an ariadne thread. I usually bring 2 incase I forget to buy later.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 25, 2018

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

wocobob posted:

I’ve heard the series is super hard/complex in general, though, so I wanted to check in here before I get too far: are there any newbie traps in the game? Anything I should know in terms of general tips/strategies?

- Take it slow, save often.
- Be careful when you level skills as at certain thresholds they cost more TP, which can be an issue. Running out of TP in a fight is a Very Bad thing.
- EO4 typically follows this pattern of which dungeons you should be visiting: Cave1 > Maze B1 > Cave2 > Maze B2 > Cave3 > Maze B3. Each time you hit a new floor in the main Maze, head back to town and the new sidequests will direct you towards the next cave you should visit.
- Always carry an ariadne thread
- DON'T GET PINCHED!!!!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm no master, but one of the main things I had to come to terms with is to not be afraid to reallocate skill points

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jimmy Hats posted:

- Always carry an ariadne thread

Always carry two, because at some point you are going to forget to buy one and that can be disastrous.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Check your inventory every time you're about to exit Tharsis. It's easy to check because Ariadne Threads are always at the bottom of the usable items.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Check the statues.

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Don't let crayfish make you their bitch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Prism posted:

Here is the first class trailer (EO1 classes: Protector/Paladin, Samurai/Bushido, Medic, Survivalist/Ranger).

Edit: In Japanese, which I don't speak, or I'd summarize what they say about the classes.

Paladin:

Shield Flare: Counters with a ranged fire attack whenever the Paladin takes damage, until the next turn.
Cell Divide: Takes damage for 1 Ally for 1 turn.
Boost buffs guard skills, Burst makes entire party invincible.

Bushido:

Tsubame Gaeshi: Hits the enemy twice. Has a cooldown so you can't use it next turn.
Helm Splitter: Low accuracy slash attack that ignores resistance. Reduces remaining cooldowns by 2 turns.
Boost eliminates all cooldowns, Burst does all-targeting attack with chance of death.

Medic:

Line Heal: You know what Line Heal does.
Heavy Strike: It is a strike that is heavy.
Boost buffs power, speed, and TP cost of heals (TP halved), Burst heals/revives/cures everyone.

Ranger:

Flame Arrow: Shoots an arrow that's on fire (composite Fire/Stab damage)
Other's Step: Make an ally's action go first.
Boost increases speed/evasion, Burst shoots one enemy for damage and lowers their accuracy/speed for 3 turns.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I am really, really interested in the ronin/bushido’s skill set.

I’m pretty sure the ronin, imperial and hero are some of the first classes I want to try, and if I can make it work, I’ll toss a harbinger in that same party too. Provided they aren’t a frontliner, and can operate from the back row.

I also want to use ailments and binds.

...well, we have like 60 slots right.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
give me immunize

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
it wouldn't even be that great anymore now that the games no longer have bizarrely screwed up damage formulas.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope the Dragons come back for old time's sake.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

I hope the Dragons come back for old time's sake.

Given that they showed off the friggin' Queen Ant, I would be flabbergasted if the Dragons aren't part of the boss buffet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Please don't come back with the hearts.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Please don't come back with the hearts.

:agreed:
The level break bosses in five had really good gimmicks though, so I'm not too worried.
In addition, we won't have a story party made up of four supports and Fafnir "more burst than a supernova" Knight, so they won't have to balance the adds against "and then Faffie goes into Force and deletes them".

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

wocobob posted:

In EO4 specifically, if you're using a Dancer, don't take both "Fan Dance" and "Speed Boost". Due to a bug, Speed Boost will completely nullify Fan Dance.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
EO4 question: I’m like halfway through the first floor of the first official dungeon, and all my guys are like level 4-5. I’m still at the point in leveling where the baboon FOEs completely wipe the floor with me, but the dungeon is now throwing them at me as regular random encounters, while the bear FOE keeps aggroing on me during the fights. I’m really far from being able to kill them, so what’s the solution? Am I just supposed to run away? Or is it a sign that I’m supposed to come back later and maybe try the side cave I’ve found first?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wocobob posted:

EO4 question: I’m like halfway through the first floor of the first official dungeon, and all my guys are like level 4-5. I’m still at the point in leveling where the baboon FOEs completely wipe the floor with me, but the dungeon is now throwing them at me as regular random encounters, while the bear FOE keeps aggroing on me during the fights. I’m really far from being able to kill them, so what’s the solution? Am I just supposed to run away? Or is it a sign that I’m supposed to come back later and maybe try the side cave I’ve found first?

The baboons in random encounters are not the same as the FOEs. If I remember right they are mostly dangerous because they throw the armadillo enemies at you, so kill those first. You should be able to handle them.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

wocobob posted:

The baboon FOEs are different from the regular, significantly weaker mob baboons. You’ll (usually) know you’re fighting actual FOEs when you’ve got the FOE music.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The way to do this is to take care of any enounters before the bear aggros, and when your encounter meter is blue, aggro the bear and have it destroy whatever branches you need to move on.

Feel free to explore the side caves.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Omobono posted:

:agreed:
The level break bosses in five had really good gimmicks though, so I'm not too worried.
In addition, we won't have a story party made up of four supports and Fafnir "more burst than a supernova" Knight, so they won't have to balance the adds against "and then Faffie goes into Force and deletes them".

Seriously no more adds plz. 2U was extremely unfun to fight most of the bosses because of “lol burst the adds down or get hosed, hyuck!” The post-game final boss (and eternal sin) looked -extremely- bad to play against.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Just made it to the first boss in EO4 (berserker king), and he’s kicking my rear end. My party (L/N/F/R/M) is all level 15-16, with pretty much the best equipment I can buy. I can get him down to about 1/3 HP consistently, but then he goes into a rage and starts spamming AOE attacks that almost one shot my whole party. I did the third side cave on the one adventurer dude’s recommendation, but it only got me a couple levels and one or two equipment unlocks. Am I just too low-level? Or is there a specific strategy I need to use?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Your levels are fine (in fact, you're a bit overleveled) You may need to buff up your defenses a bit. Or increase your offenses and focus it down. Blinding it with your Nightseeker can also help. But something important to know is that ailments are less likely to land the more successful procs you get, and eventually enemies will become outright immune to them. Berserker King can only be blinded 2 times in the entire battle, so keep that in mind.

How up to date is your equipment? Armor isn't that important to keep up to date in EO4 (Because it's really ineffective in a lot of the EO games), but weapons have a really big impact on your offenses (A few points of attack doesn't matter, but if there's a considerably gap, such as 10 points or more, you may want to upgrade.)

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Dr. Fetus posted:

Your levels are fine (in fact, you're a bit overleveled) You may need to buff up your defenses a bit. Or increase your offenses and focus it down. Blinding it with your Nightseeker can also help. But something important to know is that ailments are less likely to land the more successful procs you get, and eventually enemies will become outright immune to them. Berserker King can only be blinded 2 times in the entire battle, so keep that in mind.

How up to date is your equipment? Armor isn't that important to keep up to date in EO4 (Because it's really ineffective in a lot of the EO games), but weapons have a really big impact on your offenses (A few points of attack doesn't matter, but if there's a considerably gap, such as 10 points or more, you may want to upgrade.)

I have pretty much the best possible weapons for everyone, but I’ve never gotten around to buying the best mace for my medic because her offense kind of sucks. That’s another question, actually: what should my medic be doing generally during off turns? I’d like her to be able to inflict status on enemies or something, but all she has is that one stunning attack (which seems like it’s not very good, and doesn’t really do damage.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, unfortunately EO4 medics kinda do healing and not much else. They're not the most versatile class.

When the boss is about to go into a rage, you can either do a lot of damage in a short time to knock it out of it, or have everyone defend to survive the attack when it comes. With your party, you might have to defend.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

When the boss starts charging up, deal 400 damage to him during that time to stop him from using the big attack.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, unfortunately EO4 medics kinda do healing and not much else. They're not the most versatile class.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :shepface:

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Thuryl posted:

When the boss is about to go into a rage, you can either do a lot of damage in a short time to knock it out of it, or have everyone defend to survive the attack when it comes. With your party, you might have to defend.

I was pretty sure Star Drop was one of the better attacks, as far as "Medic attacks" go.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

wocobob posted:

Just made it to the first boss in EO4 (berserker king), and he’s kicking my rear end. My party (L/N/F/R/M) is all level 15-16, with pretty much the best equipment I can buy. I can get him down to about 1/3 HP consistently, but then he goes into a rage and starts spamming AOE attacks that almost one shot my whole party. I did the third side cave on the one adventurer dude’s recommendation, but it only got me a couple levels and one or two equipment unlocks. Am I just too low-level? Or is there a specific strategy I need to use?

Give your fortress taunt (maxed) and auto taunt (well you don’t need auto taunt for the boss) and toss them in the back row and have them defend so the King targets them. Have N blind the boss then spam ice knife and have your RM use ice rune and use ice spells. The L can use freezing link or the shield skills that debuffs attacks, or whatever else.

M can heal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
While EO4 allows for almost any combination to work, I feel like having both a Fortress and a Medic in the same party is usually overkill. Both classes are just too specialized, imo.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

wocobob posted:

I have pretty much the best possible weapons for everyone, but I’ve never gotten around to buying the best mace for my medic because her offense kind of sucks. That’s another question, actually: what should my medic be doing generally during off turns? I’d like her to be able to inflict status on enemies or something, but all she has is that one stunning attack (which seems like it’s not very good, and doesn’t really do damage.)

Heavy Strike is, in terms of damage, the strongest skill of the 3 attack skills Medics have, though I have had no luck whatsoever actually stunning the Berserker King even with three Medics constantly wailing on it. It's still stronger than some of the other Mace skills in the game, so it's a reliable source of damage in the case that your Medic is in the front line for some reason. If you don't mind resting your characters to re-assign skill points, you could probably max out Star Drop, give her a strength accessory, and switch her to the front line when the Berserker King is charging just to help deal more damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

While EO4 allows for almost any combination to work, I feel like having both a Fortress and a Medic in the same party is usually overkill. Both classes are just too specialized, imo.

Having both of those classes in the party isn't a death sentence. It's certainly overkill on defense, but it pretty much makes your party nearly unkillable if you choose to stick with those 2 classes all the way to the end.

Efe posted:

If you don't mind resting your characters to re-assign skill points, you could probably max out Star Drop, give her a strength accessory, and switch her to the front line when the Berserker King is charging just to help deal more damage.

Given that Star Drop is a Master skill, I'm pretty sure they would be able to defeat the Berserker King without it. It would be rather concerning if they couldn't beat him even with that skill.

Heavy Strike won't be able to stun the Berserker King all that reliably. The proc chance on it is really low, and the Berserker King is really resistant to stuns.

When the Berserker King charges up, just go all in on offense. You just need to deal a decent amount of damage to stun it, and it'll buy you a free turn. Do keep in mind that immediately after doing so, it will cast Counter. So you can avoid taking counter damage if you just hold off on physical attacks for that turn. (He can't counter elemental attacks.)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
When he goes into his charge up stance, knock him out of it using your burst skills (double slash). Your landy should do close to 200 dmg with it, so you just have to fill in the other 200 yourself.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Having both of those classes in the party isn't a death sentence. It's certainly overkill on defense, but it pretty much makes your party nearly unkillable if you choose to stick with those 2 classes all the way to the end.

I rolled deep on Fortress/Medic on my first playthrough and have no regrets.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It occured to me today that the EOX portrait dlc is missing an entire class. Theyre lying to us!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Where's my CaC Fafnir, ATLUS?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Where's my CaC Fafnir, ATLUS?

It's missing TWO classes?!?! What the gently caress!!!

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Given that Star Drop is a Master skill, I'm pretty sure they would be able to defeat the Berserker King without it. It would be rather concerning if they couldn't beat him even with that skill.

My bad, I wrote that post and only realized that I meant Heavy Strike before I posted it and only fixed the first time :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1001374326203998209