Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofecks posted:

No but due to all the horror stories I've read about people's experiences with the seasonal updates (especially this new one) I'd rather be safe than sorry.

You're not being safe. Dude's probably using an entire different computer configuration to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If your computer has a non standard partition arrangement which means anything with more than a 100MB boot and then the system partition, the latest spring update WILL (probably, lol) fail and gently caress your load to the point you need to do a clean install. You can tell if your poo poo hosed up by the recovery poo poo having something like 3 (or more ) apparent windows loads.

I'm at 13 computers now with this bullshit.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 25, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, Photos now has a timeline at the side of the window instead of a scroll bar, and even on my relatively slow Surface you can jump from year to year at lightning speed, which I very much like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

If your computer has a non standard partition arrangement which means anything with more than a 100MB boot and then the system partition, the latest spring update WILL fail and gently caress your load to the point you need to do a clean install.

I'm calling bullshit cuz this is the laptop I'm posting from right this second, and that's not how my partitions are arranged at all, yet there was no issue installing the update. You really need to stop pulling poo poo out your rear end and smearing it across the keyboard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

redeyes posted:

If your computer has a non standard partition arrangement which means anything with more than a 100MB boot and then the system partition, the latest spring update WILL fail and gently caress your load to the point you need to do a clean install. You can tell if your poo poo hosed up by the recovery poo poo having something like 3 (or more ) apparent windows loads.

You’re talking about the issue where it can’t find the desktop and it just gets stuck on a bootloop right? So I’m gonna have to reformat the son of a bitch? I’m completely computer illiterate, would that also erase my entire hard drive?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

You’re talking about the issue where it can’t find the desktop and it just gets stuck on a bootloop right? So I’m gonna have to reformat the son of a bitch? I’m completely computer illiterate, would that also erase my entire hard drive?

Yeah that issue exactly. The odd part is you can load the spring update ISO/USB stick from a clean boot and it will work fine with the same partition arrangement. Whether or not the NEXT update fucks that too is up for debate.

So the answer is you don't need to format/repartition but you probably need to reinstall from a USB/CD and a clean boot. Probably get a nerd friend to help because you don't want to nuke your data on accident.. but basically you need to pick the same windows partition it was installed to before. It will rename your stuff to Windows.old and then install a new clean load which also fixes the bootloader whatever screwup.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 25, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

I'm calling bullshit cuz this is the laptop I'm posting from right this second, and that's not how my partitions are arranged at all, yet there was no issue installing the update. You really need to stop pulling poo poo out your rear end and smearing it across the keyboard.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Microsoft need to stop smearing poo poo on keyboards when writing updates. Maybe they can confine it to the floor or something?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just turn off windows update until they fix 1803.

:tif:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fishmech posted:

"Everyone is lying, there are no problems and if there were they wouldn't be a big deal at all! Microsoft can do no wrong!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

Yeah that issue exactly. The odd part is you can load the spring update ISO/USB stick from a clean boot and it will work fine with the same partition arrangement. Whether or not the NEXT update fucks that too is up for debate.

So the answer is you don't need to format/repartition but you probably need to reinstall from a USB/CD and a clean boot. Probably get a nerd friend to help because you don't want to nuke your data on accident.. but basically you need to pick the same windows partition it was installed to before. It will rename your stuff to Windows.old and then install a new clean load which also fixes the bootloader whatever screwup.

PLEASE tell me there's like a tutorial or something on how to get this done

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's just a general reinstall dude. Nothing special. You end up with a fresh windows load with no apps and all your data in Windows.old

In general

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the tool and run it, you will need a blank USB stick, feed the tool that stick. It will make the installer stuff on the USB. Take that USB stick to your broken computer. Boot with it, install windows 10 on the largest partition on the HD. Boot up, setup your account/password. Copy your data files from c:\windows.old\Users\yourusername. Sorry I can't be more specific.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 25, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

"Everyone is lying, there are no problems and if there were they wouldn't be a big deal at all! Microsoft can do no wrong!"

Ok nice little fantasy life you have, but it's objective that the thing he posted isn't true.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fishmech posted:

Ok nice little fantasy life you have, but it's objective that the thing he posted isn't true.

So he didn't have any problems with 1803? Why would he lie about that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So he didn't have any problems with 1803? Why would he lie about that?

Pretty amazing how you didn't even read what he wrote and I responded to. Here's what it is:

redeyes posted:

If your computer has a non standard partition arrangement which means anything with more than a 100MB boot and then the system partition, the latest spring update WILL fail and gently caress your load to the point you need to do a clean install.

Again, this is flat out untrue.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

fishmech posted:

Pretty amazing how you didn't even read what he wrote and I responded to. Here's what it is:

Again, this is flat out untrue.

So did he lie about having problems with 13 computers due to 1803 or not? Pretty simple question dude.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ofecks posted:

Checked device manager, apparently both my NVMe SSD and storage HDD had write caching enabled. I disabled it on the HDD for now, will re-enable when I get the UPS unit I'm planning on buying. Kinda nervous about having it on my boot drive during spring's tumultuous weather.
The NTFS file system is robust enough to survive those antics. There might be data loss of crap that was in flight, that's about it. The file system itself isn't gonna blow up in your face. Same applies to USB sticks using it.

redeyes posted:

If your computer has a non standard partition arrangement which means anything with more than a 100MB boot and then the system partition, the latest spring update WILL (probably, lol) fail and gently caress your load to the point you need to do a clean install. You can tell if your poo poo hosed up by the recovery poo poo having something like 3 (or more ) apparent windows loads.

Friend of mine has an issue like this. Not even sure why, because he did a standard installation back when set up the computer. --edit: Well, Windows refuses to upgrade.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 25, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So did he lie about having problems with 13 computers due to 1803 or not? Pretty simple question dude.

He said that this will happen to any computer that has a partition table that isn't a 100 MB boot partition and then the full system partition.

This isn't true, and 13 computers that happen to have different partition tables having the problem doesn't make it true. He is lying about "different partition table = computer won't work after update".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

It's just a general reinstall dude. Nothing special. You end up with a fresh windows load with no apps and all your data in Windows.old

In general

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the tool and run it, you will need a blank USB stick, feed the tool that stick. It will make the installer stuff on the USB. Take that USB stick to your broken computer. Boot with it, install windows 10 on the largest partition on the HD. Boot up, setup your account/password. Copy your data files from c:\windows.old\Users\yourusername. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Dang, I don’t have any blank usb sticks, but I'll try this as soon as I’m able

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
"It doesn't happen EVERY time, therefore what that guy said is completely worthless."

You are a punctilious oval office. (Yes I hit up a thesaurus.)

E: Or maybe, you are punctilious to the point of being cunty. That accurate enough for you?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hipster_Doofus posted:

"It doesn't happen EVERY time, therefore what that guy said is completely worthless."

Yes, when he went ahead and tried to claim that everyone who doesn't have a specific partition layout will have their computers broken, that was extremely worthless. Because it isn't true.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah no, show me where he said "if your layout isn't THIS SPECIFICALLY, you're hosed." He said non-standard, which granted is nebulous and could've been fleshed out. But you are just driven to find ways to say people are wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah no, show me where he said "if your layout isn't THIS SPECIFICALLY, you're hosed." He said non-standard, which granted is nebulous and could've been fleshed out. But you are just driven to find ways to say people are wrong.

What part of the original post are you having trouble reading? Again, this is what his original post said when I quoted it:

redeyes posted:

He said: "anything with more than a 100MB boot and then the system partition"
He then said: "the latest spring update WILL fail" if your configuration was different than that

This is extremely clear, and it's also wrong. This is what I pointed out in my original post. I'm not sure how to make this any clearer, there was a statement made by him and it was not true.

Please use your eyes and carefully read the less than 50 words of the quote. It's not hard.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to show the system tray on all taskbars? Or have each taskbar only show the tasks for its monitor instead of all of them?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

You LITERALLY posted an image with a 100mb EFI partition and the system partition directly after that. The OP specifically said this applies to systems that don't have that setup.

And before you point out that he said boot partition, not EFI partition, I will say:

1: Nobody likes a pedant

2: As per Wikipedia: "An ESP contains the boot loaders or kernel images for all installed operating systems."

3: Also per Wikipedia: "Microsoft recommends that when partitioning a disk, the EFI system partition be the first partition on the disk. This is not a requirement of the EFI specification itself."

They probably don't test thoroughly for other configurations.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 25, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hipster_Doofus posted:

redeyes posted:

If your computer has a non standard partition arrangement which means anything with more than a 100MB boot and then the system partition, the latest spring update WILL fail
He qualifies "non standard" as being anything other than a stated specific configuration.

Don't argue with Fishmech.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

He qualifies "non standard" as being anything other than a stated specific configuration.

Don't argue with Fishmech.

Because Fishmech is literally insane and can't be reasoned with? I agree.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KillHour posted:

You LITERALLY posted an image with a 100mb EFI partition. The OP specifically said this applies to systems with a partition bigger than that.

No he didn't. He said a partition layout that wasn't just a 100 MB boot partition and the system partition. It is amazing how you refuse to read less than 50 words, and instead make something else up. Now let me remind you what's in my image: 4 partitions, one of them placed after the main system partition (which incidentally is laid out that way because this computer was previously set up for a dual boot configuration where that was necessary. This is different from what he said was the only working configuration.

Now here's another computer I have on 1803 that had no problem installing, notice how the partition layout is completely different from both what he said, and from my previous laptop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
TYOOL 2018 and people are STILL arguing with Fishmech?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Everyone who didn't understand the gist of redeyes' post because it wasn't laid out precisely enough or who chose to pick nits with it anyway say aye.

fishmech posted:

Aye.

<plinkett>Ohh...</plinkett>

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

KillHour posted:

Because Fishmech is literally insane and can't be reasoned with? I agree.
Yes, but worse - they are technically correct.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Yes, but worse - they are technically correct.

People keep saying that, but they're just really good at gaslighting.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like I inhabit some alternate reality where Windows updates go smoothly, Windows never restarts without giving me adequate prompts, and where all the dumb ad poo poo is ignorable and not something that has to be dug out by the roots.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Don't worry, I also live in the Berenstain Bears reality.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like I inhabit some alternate reality where Windows updates go smoothly, Windows never restarts without giving me adequate prompts, and where all the dumb ad poo poo is ignorable and not something that has to be dug out by the roots.

Same here. Also I uninstalled the candy crush stuff some number of updates ago and they've never come back.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to show the system tray on all taskbars? Or have each taskbar only show the tasks for its monitor instead of all of them?

Display Fusion can do this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

We live in the same world.

The only system I have a level of issues with Windows 10 on is my 8" 32 GB Atom tablet, it came with Windows 8.0 originally and I'm pretty sure it's just the hardware that's starting to get bad after 4+ years.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
my 1803 update has been failing at 73% installed for the last two weeks or so and I have zero inclination of figuring out what the gently caress is wrong. I did some basic repair/dism thing and that didn't help so welp I guess my windows is now outdated forever

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Worse fates.

Something is fucky and windows is crashing explorer upon login on every machine that hadn't updated to 1803 yet at my place, but doing the update fixes it.

:shrug: i'm honestly in too lovely of a mood to care why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

TOOT BOOT posted:

:same: