Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Hmm, I've only tried puerhs a few times. Not been impressed so far. One of the times it tasted outright vile. Recently ordered some ripe Lincang 2012 from tedragen, to give puerh a new shot. It still has a slight fishy smell, but doesn't really taste fishy. Has a sort deep sweet taste to it.

Btw, you might know, are there any other good tea shops in Norway? I reckon palais des thes might have some decent stuff, but unfortunately they don't do web sales... I live in "the districts" :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the state of good tea in norway is quite sad. palais des thes might be the only other place that has any decent teas (their TGY is okay) apart from tedragen, but I don't know about any other. it's mostly places like black cat or all those new hip and cool bagged tea-companies. and when it comes to puer, nobody other than Tedragen really knows what they're doing over here.

I can recommend buying off of places like yunnan sourcing (every kind of Chinese tea you can imagine. an almost absurd selection), taiwan sourcing (mainly taiwanese oolongs), teavivre (every kind of tea), white2tea (mainly puer, has some oolongs I haven't treid too), crimson lotus (mainly puer), and such. the shipping expenses are reasonable, and considering they ship from china/taiwan, it doesn't take too long either. and crimson lotus also has free shipping worldwide, which is cool. you can get a pretty huge batch of samples for not too much money if you're looking to explore.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There’s Vahdam Teas from India as well. The oolong earl grey is highly recommended.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Thanks! I'm fairly new to teas so some sampler packs would probably be a great place to start. Some bundles with all kinds of tea and not just puerhs would be perfect. I'll look into the stores you posted!

A mate introduced me to gong fu brewing a few years ago and I've been interested in trying it out since. Recently read Okakura Kakuzo's "The book of tea" (a great read btw) and figured it was a good time to take the plunge. Bought some basic brewing equipment + a small assortment of different teas to figure out what I actually like. Have been doing basic gong fu brewing sessions the last couple of weekends and have begun really taking a liking to this stuff :)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I picked up a collection of raw and ripe Pu'Erh samplers from Teavivre during their black friday sale. Shipping was pretty long since it's hong kong based, but I enjoy the variety

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

For puerh I think it's best to go to an asian tea shop where they will let you sample various ones before buying. Of course not everyone is close to one of these but it's a good thing to keep in mind when traveling.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Haha. I ordered a sampler off Yunnan sourcing just now. They have tons of stuff :0 Didn't check the shipping times on the cheapest option tho. 7-12 weeks haha. Trying to get the order cancelled so that I can shell out for slightly faster shipment...

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Hmm, I've only tried puerhs a few times. Not been impressed so far. One of the times it tasted outright vile. Recently ordered some ripe Lincang 2012 from tedragen, to give puerh a new shot. It still has a slight fishy smell, but doesn't really taste fishy. Has a sort deep sweet taste to it.

Btw, you might know, are there any other good tea shops in Norway? I reckon palais des thes might have some decent stuff, but unfortunately they don't do web sales... I live in "the districts" :'(

I bought from Perch's once and it was fine. Most of the time I just use Yunnan Sourcing and a couple of vendors on eBay and AliExpress I "trust" though (that is to say, I've bought tea from them in the past and I haven't died from heavy metal poisoning yet):

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1232415?spm=2114.10010108.0.0.55f959fesRxIII

https://www.ebay.com/str/dragonteahouse

Indian Assam

Edit:
I usually just buy reasonably priced Assams and oolongs, so I can't say much about the quality of their other teas. I've been quite happy with the stuff I've gotten from them though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, a few months ago, a new asian supermarket opened up on the other side of town. I only got around to visiting it this past weekend, and ended up buying this to try:

Now, a quick google tells me this is probably not actually prestigious, high quality tea that wikipedia tells me it should be, so what did I buy? I mean, it smells really good, and I'm still gonna drink it, I'm just curious on what exactly I got here.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
What you've got is purporting to be 金骏眉 (more commonly romanized as Jin Jun Mei), from Wuyi. The internet, including Wikipedia, often confuses it with the pine-smoked lapsang souchoung style since they come from the same growing region, but they're not alike at all. If the brew does come out barbequeue/peateed whiskey levels of smoky, it's mislabeled lapsang. Otherwise, it's a knockoff trying to capitalize on a famous name. (Or you could have come across the best deal on the market, I suppose).

True Jin Jun Mei is a very light, almost-chocolatey black tea that commands absurd prices. It also has a reputation for being somewhat temperamental, doing best with a relatively cool infusion in muting clay. I can't imagine the knockoffs are going tobe much more forgiving. Try cold-brewing, maybe?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

yeah that's more likely to be mass market lapsang souchong which is like drinking a campfire

which some people are into

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It doesn't smell smoky at all, but I'm used to Twinnings' lapsang souchong, which yeah, is like drinking a campfire. I like that on a nice cold fall day, or toward the end of a long winter, but this ain't that. This stuff smells... sweet, almost like chocolate, but more sweet than cocoa. Definitely no smoky smell at all. I guess lemme try brewing up a quick cup and seeing what I've got here.

EDIT: Went the fast route. Steeped 1tbsp of tea in ~1 cup of water for 30 seconds, tossed that, then did a second steep for 45. Sweetened with a bit of sugar. Here's a quick pic for the color:

As for taste, I don't consider myself anywhere near enough of a connoisseur to pick out the delicate flavor notes or any of that poo poo. What I taste tastes kind of like a slightly better quality generic black tea. Admittedly, this could be due to a number of things; I didn't steep it correctly, I over/undersweetened it, I'm not good at tea yet, or, and this is probably the most likely, it's just regular old tea that I got for $7.50 for the jar. :shrug:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 23, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tips on brewing Yerba Mate? 5 minutes, 170f. That’s what I’m drinking right now. I went a little hotter this cup since the first time I tried it I didn’t care much for it. It was like lightly flavored water. This time around I’m getting some nice grassy tobacco notes. Still subtle though which is okay. Hopefully a bit more caffeine will get to me too.

Booyah- posted:

sup tea buddy

I've had the same experience. Coffee is fun to get in to as well because of the different beans and roasts, but ultimately it's too much caffeine for me to drink a lot of. I can have like 3 pots of green tea and it's probably about as much caffeine as a 16oz cold brew coffee.

You might enjoying trying more types of black tea, particularly the ones they make blends from since you already like Ceylon. Maybe try an assam and darjeeling.

I think the ceylon I buy is roughly the same as yours, though adagio gives it a sonata name. It's this one from kenilworth estate:
http://www.uptontea.com/kandy-ceylon-black-tea/kenilworth-estate-pekoe/p/V00114/

These are two of my favorite black tea blends as well:
http://www.uptontea.com/afternoon-tea/finest-russian-caravan/p/V00411/
http://www.uptontea.com/afternoon-tea/richmond-park-blend/p/V00095/

Yeah I appreciate coffee for what it is, it’s just one of those things I have to accept comes with too many negatives for me. Oh well. I’ve been trying chai lattes at Starbucks when I’m out and they get me to what I want out of my milked/sweetened coffee as weird as that may sound.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Arcturas posted:

Also if you like super sweet teas, try making some Thai iced tea. I have kinda been janking around with it this last week, and my "winging it" recipe is over-boiling and over-steeping a chunk of black tea with some caradmom pods and vanilla in there too. Add too much sugar or sweetened condensed milk. Chilly. When you swerve add some combination of cream, half and half, or evaporated milk.

Is that about how it should be? Is there a fancier better way to make good restaurant-style/quality Thai iced tea?

Ah man, I love Thai tea to death. The local Thai restaurant makes the best kind I’ve ever had. I’ve tried making it but it’s seemingly impossible to get close. I can’t tell what we’re missing but it’s nowhere near their recipe.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 23, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ulvir posted:

the state of good tea in norway is quite sad. palais des thes might be the only other place that has any decent teas (their TGY is okay) apart from tedragen, but I don't know about any other. it's mostly places like black cat or all those new hip and cool bagged tea-companies. and when it comes to puer, nobody other than Tedragen really knows what they're doing over here.

I can recommend buying off of places like yunnan sourcing (every kind of Chinese tea you can imagine. an almost absurd selection), taiwan sourcing (mainly taiwanese oolongs), teavivre (every kind of tea), white2tea (mainly puer, has some oolongs I haven't treid too), crimson lotus (mainly puer), and such. the shipping expenses are reasonable, and considering they ship from china/taiwan, it doesn't take too long either. and crimson lotus also has free shipping worldwide, which is cool. you can get a pretty huge batch of samples for not too much money if you're looking to explore.

Hey fellow Norwegian tea-buddy.

I second Yunnan Sourcing and Teavivre. The shipping is cheap, and the price/quality ratio gets under the customs/toll limit even with a pretty substantial amount of good quality tea (my go-to's are Imperial Gold Needle from the former and Bailin Gongfu from the latter, but I'm a black tea guy).

Man, pu-erh is kind of hard to get into. I've got a cake from 2004 or 2005 (paper have all kinda faded so hard to tell) and a mushroomy one from 2008, but they're all pretty dried out and impossible to pry apart. I just chip off a little once or twice a year and strain the dust out. Still has plenty of aroma, but it feels like I'm drinking wet forest floor and tobacco leaves.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Biomute posted:

Hey fellow Norwegian tea-buddy.
:hfive:

Biomute posted:

but it feels like I'm drinking wet forest floor and tobacco leaves.
that’s what’s so great about shou :getin:

Biomute posted:

I second Yunnan Sourcing and Teavivre. The shipping is cheap, and the price/quality ratio gets under the customs/toll limit even with a pretty substantial amount of good quality tea

somehow I have never payed customs, even when I’m pretty sure I’ve gone over the limit. I think these guys just never really mention price on the package, and the customs people just don’t really know what to make of “500g tea” other than just shrug and look for something else

ulvir fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 24, 2018

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

ulvir posted:

somehow I have never payed customs, even when I’m pretty sure I’ve gone over the limit. I think these guys just never really mention price on the package, and the customs people just don’t really know what to make of “500g tea” other than just shrug and look for something else

They do mention the price on the package, they're just not very truthful. I'm sure you could get busted for it if customs opened it up to find the real receipt inside, but they've never bothered opening any of the countless packages I've received from China. I have no idea why, because I have had them open packages from Germany and the UK.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Biomute posted:

Man, pu-erh is kind of hard to get into. I've got a cake from 2004 or 2005 (paper have all kinda faded so hard to tell) and a mushroomy one from 2008, but they're all pretty dried out and impossible to pry apart. I just chip off a little once or twice a year and strain the dust out. Still has plenty of aroma, but it feels like I'm drinking wet forest floor and tobacco leaves.

I have a cake from 2006 that I broke out what with all this pu-erh talk in here lately. It was musty and foresty, which was really nice. Deep dark mahogany brown when steeped. I think I ended up going about 6 steeping before it was starting to loose its charm. Definitely not a daily tea for me, but really very nice when it's raining.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Hmm, skandithread heavily represented here!

Been looking around and the selection on yunnan sourcing seems massive... Customer service v nice, they helped me out with my snail mail order last night. Defo gonna order some more stuff when I dry up, perhaps check out some puerhs.

Just had some excellent jasmine pearl. Blown away by the flowery aroma of this stuff!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay I have to ask a stupid question. As mentioned I’ve got some 4ish year old adagio pu erh. It’s alright. I like it for what it is even though I’m excited to grab some better pu erh. I just had a cup of the pu erh hazelberry as I’ve neglected that one since getting back into tea. I’m now sitting here legitimately buzzed/high feeling. This is the second time (first time was weaker) the pu erh has done this and it’s crazy. I don’t want to believe the tea drunk/etc thing is an actual thing but... is it?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I have never experienced it, but loads of people on /r/tea and /r/puer claim to have, so, uh... maybe? it could be a caffeine buzz or something.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have sinus issues, so I am pretty used to being in a little bit of head pain constantly. I have experienced something like being tea drunk, but I chalk that up to a caffeine rush and pain relief because of the steam coinciding.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 25, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I've had the tea drunk experience a few times before, and it's honestly more of a zen, free-floating feeling. Didn't feel anything like a caffeine buzz tbh. Sometimes from particularly strong young sheng.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, i can agree with that. cooked pu and matcha both do that to me. it's honestly not a super pleasant feeling if you're not expecting it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Rooibos Chat:

So about 5 months ago, I started drinking Rooibos tea. I adore tea - hot, iced, or room temperature - but a caffine sensitivity that's been growing for years has left me unable to enjoy a good cup or glass. I've never found a decaf that I enjoyed, but discovering Rooibos was like a weird homecoming. Finally a tea that I can drink by the gallon-per-day.

I've been getting the Rooibos Rocks brand off of Amazon, mostly. It's a nice mellow cup that has a slight sweetness when hot, and mellows into a smooth earthiness when it's cold. I've found that 4 bags per 1/2 gallon of water seems to make about the strength I like. Week before last, I stumbled across Vermont Artisan's rooibos (which thankfully is just the tea, with no other herbs blended in), and I've found it has a much fuller flavor, retaining a hint of sweetness even when cold, and I can get away with 3 bags per 1/2 gallon.

A question for any other rooibos drinkers: I've heard that Freshpack is the common "local" brand in South Africa, and a couple of South African reviewers have sort of turned their noses up at Rooibos Rocks. Is this a case of Freshpack actually being superior, or is it sort of the "Lipton" of the field that people feel the need to defend because it's what they drank ever since they were kids?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay I have to ask a stupid question. As mentioned I’ve got some 4ish year old adagio pu erh. It’s alright. I like it for what it is even though I’m excited to grab some better pu erh. I just had a cup of the pu erh hazelberry as I’ve neglected that one since getting back into tea. I’m now sitting here legitimately buzzed/high feeling. This is the second time (first time was weaker) the pu erh has done this and it’s crazy. I don’t want to believe the tea drunk/etc thing is an actual thing but... is it?

You basically just described why I had to stop drinking true tea. I couldn't have a cup without feeling like I was buzzing, and slightly nauseous. When I asked my Dr. about it, she said it may be an early stage of a caffeine sensitivity. Coffee doesn't do it to me, and on the rare occasion I have a cola, that's fine too, but tea will leave me body-humming for hours, and often light-headed if I haven't eaten anything recently.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 26, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If it was caffeine wouldn’t it be worse with coffee no matter what? That’s interesting either way. So far I love the feeling. I’m actually having a cup now trying to get there again haha.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I feel ya about the caffeine sensitivity. Mine's so bad that a cup of coffee in the morning keeps me awake at night. I actually went something like 6 months without tea trying to deal with anxiety and sleep issues. It's been a lot better lately, but my tea consumption is about half of what it was before this, and i'll split morning gongfu sessions into two days instead of trying to finish it all at once.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

If it was caffeine wouldn’t it be worse with coffee no matter what? That’s interesting either way. So far I love the feeling. I’m actually having a cup now trying to get there again haha.

Yeah, that's what I'd think as well, but it's a sensation that only hits me with tea. Coffee can keep me awake for sure, but I never really get the "body buzz" or light-headedness that a true tea will give me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My only experience with pu'er is some sample that Tea Source sent me with an order. It actually really upset my stomach and made me nauseous. I threw it out.

I drink caffeine pretty much all day. Hot tea in the morning, iced tea throughout the rest of the day with an Americano thrown in there somewhere while at work. I'm sure it fucks up my sleeping but I'm still alive.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

neogeo0823 posted:

It doesn't smell smoky at all, but I'm used to Twinnings' lapsang souchong, which yeah, is like drinking a campfire. I like that on a nice cold fall day, or toward the end of a long winter, but this ain't that. This stuff smells... sweet, almost like chocolate, but more sweet than cocoa. Definitely no smoky smell at all. I guess lemme try brewing up a quick cup and seeing what I've got here.

EDIT: Went the fast route. Steeped 1tbsp of tea in ~1 cup of water for 30 seconds, tossed that, then did a second steep for 45. Sweetened with a bit of sugar. Here's a quick pic for the color:

As for taste, I don't consider myself anywhere near enough of a connoisseur to pick out the delicate flavor notes or any of that poo poo. What I taste tastes kind of like a slightly better quality generic black tea. Admittedly, this could be due to a number of things; I didn't steep it correctly, I over/undersweetened it, I'm not good at tea yet, or, and this is probably the most likely, it's just regular old tea that I got for $7.50 for the jar. :shrug:

There you are! I remember playing a game with you a few years ago and you said that that was your favorite tea. I remember the line about "drinking a campfire." Never saw you again after that, but that line resonated with me. Forgot the name of the tea, so now that I know what it is again I'll definitely give it a try sometime soon hopefully.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trying my first cold brews today. I’m excited. Not sure what to expect. One bottle has Gunpowder and the other Citrus Mint Green. I used 2 tsp for each 16 oz of water. Wish me luck! I’ll try them in about 12 hours.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Trying my first cold brews today. I’m excited. Not sure what to expect. One bottle has Gunpowder and the other Citrus Mint Green. I used 2 tsp for each 16 oz of water. Wish me luck! I’ll try them in about 12 hours.

I can't speak for the matcha, as I've never had matcha, but any loose leaf will do best at around 24 hours, I find. Sure, you can test at 12, but I've only ever been disappointed when I forgot that I had tea cold brewing and left it in the fridge for over 36 hours. Protip: if you like your tea sweet, instead of adding sugar to the cold tea, just use some of the freshly steeped tea to make a simple syrup and pour that back into your pitcher or whatever you're using. This way you won't water down your tea or overflow your pitcher.

Love Stole the Day posted:

There you are! I remember playing a game with you a few years ago and you said that that was your favorite tea. I remember the line about "drinking a campfire." Never saw you again after that, but that line resonated with me. Forgot the name of the tea, so now that I know what it is again I'll definitely give it a try sometime soon hopefully.

Oh hey, which game was this? If I had to guess, I'd say... amaranthine?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

neogeo0823 posted:

I can't speak for the matcha, as I've never had matcha, but any loose leaf will do best at around 24 hours, I find. Sure, you can test at 12, but I've only ever been disappointed when I forgot that I had tea cold brewing and left it in the fridge for over 36 hours. Protip: if you like your tea sweet, instead of adding sugar to the cold tea, just use some of the freshly steeped tea to make a simple syrup and pour that back into your pitcher or whatever you're using. This way you won't water down your tea or overflow your pitcher.

No matcha, just standard greens. This and this. I think I’ll take your advice and stretch it to at least 20 hours. (I’m impatient and excited! lol) I do prefer my tea on the strong side so maybe it will be exactly what I want out of cold brew.

Thanks for the sweetness tip. I’m glad though, I’ve been drinking tea, uh, “black” since I got into it properly. Never thought I could do that before.

Update: I decided to try the citrus mint green at 21 hours. After my first sip I knew I was going to drink it all. Two glasses later I’m pleasantly surprised how well that turned out. Less aroma but such nice flavor. Zero bitterness and an amount of natural sweetness I never expected. I’m not a good enough taster to pick out precisely how it differed from a hot cup but there was a lot going on. Smoother, more subtle. I admittedly drank those cups much faster than I should have but the experience was so beautiful.

I put the leaves back into a bottle for a second steeping. I’ve never resteeped tea in general so this should be a fun test. Again, thanks for the advice on the 24 hour mark.

I’m starting to understand how tea as a hobby works. There are so many different ways to enjoy it.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 31, 2018

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kilometers Davis posted:

No matcha, just standard greens. This and this. I think I’ll take your advice and stretch it to at least 20 hours. (I’m impatient and excited! lol) I do prefer my tea on the strong side so maybe it will be exactly what I want out of cold brew.

Thanks for the sweetness tip. I’m glad though, I’ve been drinking tea, uh, “black” since I got into it properly. Never thought I could do that before.

Update: I decided to try the citrus mint green at 21 hours. After my first sip I knew I was going to drink it all. Two glasses later I’m pleasantly surprised how well that turned out. Less aroma but such nice flavor. Zero bitterness and an amount of natural sweetness I never expected. I’m not a good enough taster to pick out precisely how it differed from a hot cup but there was a lot going on. Smoother, more subtle. I admittedly drank those cups much faster than I should have but the experience was so beautiful.

I put the leaves back into a bottle for a second steeping. I’ve never resteeped tea in general so this should be a fun test. Again, thanks for the advice on the 24 hour mark.

I’m starting to understand how tea as a hobby works. There are so many different ways to enjoy it.

For some reason, whenever I read 'gunpowder', my mind instantly travels to matcha powder. I don't know why. But, I'm glad it worked out well for you. :) I've never tried resteeping a cold brewed tea. I suppose I should try it out, but I typically make a gallon of tea and that lasts me for at least a few days, so I don't know how well the leaves would keep in between. My typical method is: saturday mid/late day: begin steeping tea. Sunday same-ish time, take out leaves, make simple syrup. By monday morning, its cold again and ready to drink for the week.

My experience making a tea both hot and cold is that the hot tea tends be to stronger, but less sweet, all things equal, while the cold brew tends to be lighter, and more floral. I chalk it up to the different parts of your tongue that work better at different temperatures, allowing you to pick up different nuances of the tea at those temperatures.

One other thing I can recommend is to find a local tea shop, if there are any, and just buy an ounce of whatever smells good. I go to mine every month or so and walk out with usually 2-4 ounces of things for less than $15, and they're all great. Hell, if you're in Canada, go to Bulk Barn if you've got one. It's obviously lower quality tea, but that means it's just that much easier and cheaper for experimentation. Their tropical coconut mango oolong is amazing cold brewed. I'm on a huge lavender kick right now, and one of my favorites is a lavender earl grey. I saw the link that david_a posted up the page for an earl grey oolong, and I am salivating waiting for my next paycheck to go buy some.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I ordered a bunch of teas from TeaVivre. Mostly Oolongs for the girlfriend (Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding, Qing Xiang Dong Ding and Ali Shan, all from Taiwan and "Superfine" whatever that means), but also some Yunnan Dian Hong Golden Tip Black Tea. That's the tea that originally got me into tea proper, and I've not had it in years, but I figured now that it had won some award or whatever it would be a good idea to go back to it. I'm really looking forward to it. I love how black teas from Yunnan are so malty and sweet. It's like drinking hot beer.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Yunnans are practically the only blacks I truly enjoy. Can't really get into anything else I've tried so far - Assams, Ceylons, Keemuns, even Darjeelings I've only liked a few. I also lean perhaps unreasonably heavily towards golden style leaves.

Not sure if this is because golden Yunnans stand up best when taken without any additives, or what. Still exploring everything though...my Upton catalogue almost has more stuff circled than not :v:

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

bitprophet posted:

Yunnans are practically the only blacks I truly enjoy. Can't really get into anything else I've tried so far - Assams, Ceylons, Keemuns, even Darjeelings I've only liked a few. I also lean perhaps unreasonably heavily towards golden style leaves.

Not sure if this is because golden Yunnans stand up best when taken without any additives, or what. Still exploring everything though...my Upton catalogue almost has more stuff circled than not :v:

Have you tried any Taiwanese blacks? Especially of the high mountain variety? Whispering Pines has a really good wild mountain black that tastes insanely like sweet potatoes to me, especially brewed in a gaiwan.

It’s pretty difficult to beat the delicious flavors of Yunnan blacks though. High end Keemun can be really good (I like TeaVivre’s Super Fine). I really want to try Jin Jiu Mei. Unsmoked lapsang is pretty delicious as well.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

futurememory posted:

Have you tried any Taiwanese blacks? Especially of the high mountain variety? Whispering Pines has a really good wild mountain black that tastes insanely like sweet potatoes to me, especially brewed in a gaiwan.

It’s pretty difficult to beat the delicious flavors of Yunnan blacks though. High end Keemun can be really good (I like TeaVivre’s Super Fine). I really want to try Jin Jiu Mei. Unsmoked lapsang is pretty delicious as well.

Took some notes - thanks! Also, had no idea lapsang came un-smoked, but I guess in hindsight it should not be surprising.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
I have some (most likely low grade) gunpowder tea. How are you supposed to steep this stuff? I find wildly different suggestions. I've tried different temps and brew times, but end up with a cloudy harsh goop regardless. What's a proper amount of gunpowder tea per 1dl? Caffeine amount in this stuff seems very high btw, got all headachy last time I gave it a go...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alright tea babby question time. I’m learning the notes and aromas etc pretty well considering I’ve never been “good” at figuring that kind of thing out. It’s quite fun. Something I’m picking up on lately in the Irish Breakfast and Earl Grey is a certain punchy smell and flavor. I’m assuming it’s the bready malty notes in the assam even though the earl gray is made with ceylon. Would that be correct? It’s not my favorite smell or taste lately and I’m wondering what black teas would have less of that. I’m grabbing some Chinese black tea very soon. update: bought

neogeo0823 posted:

For some reason, whenever I read 'gunpowder', my mind instantly travels to matcha powder. I don't know why. But, I'm glad it worked out well for you. :) I've never tried resteeping a cold brewed tea. I suppose I should try it out, but I typically make a gallon of tea and that lasts me for at least a few days, so I don't know how well the leaves would keep in between. My typical method is: saturday mid/late day: begin steeping tea. Sunday same-ish time, take out leaves, make simple syrup. By monday morning, its cold again and ready to drink for the week.

My experience making a tea both hot and cold is that the hot tea tends be to stronger, but less sweet, all things equal, while the cold brew tends to be lighter, and more floral. I chalk it up to the different parts of your tongue that work better at different temperatures, allowing you to pick up different nuances of the tea at those temperatures.

One other thing I can recommend is to find a local tea shop, if there are any, and just buy an ounce of whatever smells good. I go to mine every month or so and walk out with usually 2-4 ounces of things for less than $15, and they're all great. Hell, if you're in Canada, go to Bulk Barn if you've got one. It's obviously lower quality tea, but that means it's just that much easier and cheaper for experimentation. Their tropical coconut mango oolong is amazing cold brewed. I'm on a huge lavender kick right now, and one of my favorites is a lavender earl grey. I saw the link that david_a posted up the page for an earl grey oolong, and I am salivating waiting for my next paycheck to go buy some.

Thanks! Resteeping didn’t really work. Just produced some seemingly super weak tea. Oh well! I’m in Florida and it’s getting into daily 90f high humidity weather so it looks like I’ll be cold brewing quite a bit. I’m excited to perfect it.

That seems accurate, yeah. I’ll throw some blacks into the water today and see how that turns out just for fun. I’m hoping the earl grey comes out how I’m expecting.

Unfortunately there’s nothing like that around here that I know of. I’m happy with Adagio’s offerings for my basics though. It works. The points system is already paying off (holy poo poo I’m buying a lot of tea) and I’ll have to check out their subscription system.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright tea babby question time. I’m learning the notes and aromas etc pretty well considering I’ve never been “good” at figuring that kind of thing out. It’s quite fun. Something I’m picking up on lately in the Irish Breakfast and Earl Grey is a certain punchy smell and flavor. I’m assuming it’s the bready malty notes in the assam even though the earl gray is made with ceylon. Would that be correct? It’s not my favorite smell or taste lately and I’m wondering what black teas would have less of that. I’m grabbing some Chinese black tea very soon. update: bought

Thanks! Resteeping didn’t really work. Just produced some seemingly super weak tea. Oh well! I’m in Florida and it’s getting into daily 90f high humidity weather so it looks like I’ll be cold brewing quite a bit. I’m excited to perfect it.

That seems accurate, yeah. I’ll throw some blacks into the water today and see how that turns out just for fun. I’m hoping the earl grey comes out how I’m expecting.

Unfortunately there’s nothing like that around here that I know of. I’m happy with Adagio’s offerings for my basics though. It works. The points system is already paying off (holy poo poo I’m buying a lot of tea) and I’ll have to check out their subscription system.

Huh. Good to know on the resteeping front. I had assumed, apparently correctly, that 24 hours in the drink would basically take everything the leaves could give. For me, the main draw for earl grey is the slightly citrus note from the bergamot, backed with that strong black tea background. I can't speak much for irish breakfast, as I never really took to that variety. I guess I just had way too much of it while first learning to brew tea, and that soured my taste for it. If you wanna try something that's not black teas, I recommend any sweeter or tropically flavored oolong. Oolongs tend to be sweeter in general than black teas, and the more golden ones tend to have a sort of honey aftertaste that's just amazing. Definitely one of my favorite cold brewed teas was the previously mentioned tropical coconut mango oolong from Bulk Barn.