Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Haha, I just upgraded the visuals on my xboxo by... changing the TV to the right setting. I bought a nice 3D LED tv off Craigslist a few months back (not for the 3D stuff, because I looked at the reviews and they all said it had beautiful picture quality and it was $175) and I for a while I thought it was just displaying the xbox more "accurately" and that was the reason things looked a bit more pixelated.

Then I got Watch Dogs 2 (on sale for like $16.00 at Wal-Mart btw) and a lot of the UI was cut off, so I searched online and it said "check your picture settings" and low and behold when the TV's in 16:9 setting (which sounds correct, but turns out it is not) the TV will actually zoom in a bit, which throws things off. So I changed it to 'Screen Fit' and it's like a night and day jump in visual fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was obsessively manipulating my Bravia's picture settings for my One X for weeks until I caved and set picture mode to Auto and it's 1000 times better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tumble posted:

Haha, I just upgraded the visuals on my xboxo by... changing the TV to the right setting. I bought a nice 3D LED tv off Craigslist a few months back (not for the 3D stuff, because I looked at the reviews and they all said it had beautiful picture quality and it was $175) and I for a while I thought it was just displaying the xbox more "accurately" and that was the reason things looked a bit more pixelated.

Then I got Watch Dogs 2 (on sale for like $16.00 at Wal-Mart btw) and a lot of the UI was cut off, so I searched online and it said "check your picture settings" and low and behold when the TV's in 16:9 setting (which sounds correct, but turns out it is not) the TV will actually zoom in a bit, which throws things off. So I changed it to 'Screen Fit' and it's like a night and day jump in visual fidelity.

Yeah a lot of TVs got a lot of things that are set to do overscan for some bizarre reason without outright saying it's overscan, so you have to gently caress around with seemingly unrelated settings to get it to just show the dang image.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turn off everything that sounds like it requires processing power cause that = delay. Sharpness is a big one.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

fishmech posted:

Yeah a lot of TVs got a lot of things that are set to do overscan for some bizarre reason without outright saying it's overscan, so you have to gently caress around with seemingly unrelated settings to get it to just show the dang image.

Yea, this one has the first option as "16:9" and well, that's what the TV is so it seems like that would be the correct option but for some strange reason that actually zooms it in slightly. "Screen Fit" sounds like the option that would be stretching and zooming the picture but that's actually the correct option.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would bet money that they still default to overscan because people with VCR's will complain that the bottom of the picture is distorted.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

I would bet money that they still default to overscan because people with VCR's will complain that the bottom of the picture is distorted.

If someone has a VCR around modded for HDMI output, well, I'd be impressed.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

fishmech posted:

There were a few VCR/DVD combo units with HDMI out towards the end of VHS's lifespan.
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DVR670-DVR670KU-Recorder-Built/dp/B001TOD3KU/

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I like the warmth and compression you get from a VCR. Digital just doesn't have that soul.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of you guys have the course dlc for tiger woods 14 that you would let me log on to grab?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you guys have the course dlc for tiger woods 14 that you would let me log on to grab?

Doesn't Microsoft remove the DLCs entirely? I know for the Forza series, once the license is up for a DLC, you can't even download it anymore.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s lame

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Beastie posted:

I was obsessively manipulating my Bravia's picture settings for my One X for weeks until I caved and set picture mode to Auto and it's 1000 times better.

People complain about TV default settings on the internet endlessly so I spent close to an hour meticulously going through a calibration test and ended up with settings that were very slightly different than the defaults. I think all I ended up doing was setting the color temperature to neutral and changing the contrast from 100 to 98.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Monday_ posted:

People complain about TV default settings on the internet endlessly so I spent close to an hour meticulously going through a calibration test and ended up with settings that were very slightly different than the defaults. I think all I ended up doing was setting the color temperature to neutral and changing the contrast from 100 to 98.

I had done the same thing but each game had washouts of white or black. Now on auto it adjusts for HDR and 4K so it looks really loving good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If anyone wants a copy of State of Decay complete edition PM me.

E: claimed

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 25, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I already have it on game pass my friend but thank you for the offer of the bad tedium simulator

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

If anyone wants a copy of State of Decay complete edition PM me.

eh sure pm sent

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I already have it on game pass my friend but thank you for the offer of the bad tedium simulator

No thanks I’ll pass games pass

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ethanol posted:

No thanks I’ll pass games pass

"Guys, I don't play bad games. If you need me, I am playing Sea of Thieves."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played some dead rising instead its like state of decay but fun

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What's a decent deal on an XboneX? It looks like there was one that was ~382, once, some kind of sale, but mostly they're about $400 with a game or a gift card. Is this reasonable, is there a better deal, am I missing something?

Also, gently caress advertisers that advertise things like: "Xbox One X...box one haha we just repeated it so you'd think it was an xbox one x in the title".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Even $400 is $100 lower than the regular price and that's without gift card/game. At this stage you might as well wait for E3 and see if any deals spring up from that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Krakkles posted:

What's a decent deal on an XboneX? It looks like there was one that was ~382, once, some kind of sale, but mostly they're about $400 with a game or a gift card. Is this reasonable, is there a better deal, am I missing something?

Also, gently caress advertisers that advertise things like: "Xbox One X...box one haha we just repeated it so you'd think it was an xbox one x in the title".

The best deal on an XBonX is to not buy one

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Krakkles posted:

I got one for $380 a few weeks ago with one of the eBay 20% off coupons and haven’t even opened it yet. In retrospect, I should have waited until E3 to see if any kind of special edition/bundle is announced but instead I decided it was a good idea to spend $400 to play Red Dead Redemption 1 in 4K.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 26, 2018

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone know if it’s easy to hack a 360 these days?

My friend did that many years ago, he took it to some local modder he found online who did it for a few bucks. Within a few months though, somehow Microsoft detected it and banned the console from Xbox Live lol so be careful.

fishmech posted:

Well, my Xbox looks like a VCR. :smug:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

I got one for $380 a few weeks ago with one of the eBay 20% off coupons and haven’t even opened it yet. In retrospect, I should have waited until E3 to see if any kind of special edition/bundle is announced but instead I decided it was a good idea to spend $400 to play Red Dead Redemption 1 in 4K.

Costo is $480.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Playing through Gears of War remastered right now for the first time. Never played a Gears of War before. Game is simple and straight forward but it feels good and I'm definitely having fun. The walking speed for Fenix is slow as gently caress though and I hate hearing his boots clop clop clop all over the place.

So anyway I know that it's a remaster of a 12 year old game, not a "remake" persay, in that it's an uprez with some enhancements, but it sure looks dark and muddy and lovely to me. The character models in the cutscenes still look pretty good though.

But I'm definitely looking forward to playing through the rest of the series, especially because they're short and to the point.

How's the multiplayer?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I ordered one from EBay/Newegg on Saturday for 410. There’s a few multiplatform games on game pass that I’m interested in, so between that and 4k Skate 3/red dead I feel like it won’t be hard to get a good amount of use or if it.

Does the game capture record in 4K or just 1080?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Up to 1080 I think.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Playing through Gears of War remastered right now for the first time. Never played a Gears of War before. Game is simple and straight forward but it feels good and I'm definitely having fun. The walking speed for Fenix is slow as gently caress though and I hate hearing his boots clop clop clop all over the place.

So anyway I know that it's a remaster of a 12 year old game, not a "remake" persay, in that it's an uprez with some enhancements, but it sure looks dark and muddy and lovely to me. The character models in the cutscenes still look pretty good though.

But I'm definitely looking forward to playing through the rest of the series, especially because they're short and to the point.

How's the multiplayer?

It's dead.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Gears of War Remastered was super buggy for me, had to restart sections multiple times because scripts would get stuck and it wouldn't let me progress any further. Also: Dom is worse than useless and gets downed all the time. And no Xbonx patch either.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a one x also for hi res Jedi academy. Haven’t played any real one x games tho still not sure what one to break cherry...hows horizon 3 looks wise on the x? I thought it only looked meh on original one

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'd say ok as well? The framerate is the obvious mark on the experience, but even ignoring that, I wouldn't say it's really "beautiful". But certainly technically competent.

Also, Jedi Academy probably runs significantly better on any PC. And Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast was the much better game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I agree but Jedi academy holds a special place in my heart because when I was like 12 the early leaked version came out on pc and I felt so bad rear end being able to download it so every time I play it I get those feelings :3

Also it’s amazing the quality gap between some Xbox Hanes, Jedi academy looks barely better than a ps1 game but something like Links 2003 looks like a early 360 game.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
HORIZON 3 as well as Forza 7 look incredible on the X. Hellblade, and Tomb raider look amazing as well. I know everyone shits on it but Halo 5 really looks good on the X too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The games with the biggest visual jump tend to be the 360 Backwards-compatible games simply because the resolution jump is so drat huge, from 720p to true native 4K. The true current-gen games vary in quality, depends on what resolution they get up to and what the vanilla Xbox version's resolution is.

The biggest disappointments for many are Forza Horizon 3 and Destiny 2, since they look better but are still locked at 30fps while you can do 60fps on the PC versions, and trivially if you're only rendering at 1080p.

There are a few games on the "enhanced" list which are lies, like Steep is still 900p, it just has HDR. There's also about two dozen games from 2016-2017 which got PS4 Pro patches but not Xbox One X patches, as well as some other games which never got one like Tekken 7, so plan accordingly.

Strangely one of the games I found to be the biggest difference, including from a PS4 Pro, was Japanese-developed Final Fantasy XV, as a really bad scaler is being used on the PS4 side and Square Enix hasn't fixed that.

Another game with a pronounced difference is Middle Earth: Shadow of War, one of the few third party games which actually gives you a beefy texture enhancement patch which isn't available on the PS4 Pro version (but is on the PC version). I mean, it's mainly making poo poo bricks and poo poo-bogs look extra nugget-y, but hey, 4K is 4K.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RS Siege is finally getting a resolution boost from 900p to 1728p/60fps on X on June 5. No word about textures though :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

RS Siege is finally getting a resolution boost from 900p to 1728p/60fps on X on June 5. No word about textures though :(

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath, 4K textures are massive and command an awful lot of resources to make. If it's not on the PC version don't expect it on One X either.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

There’s an hd pack for pc but I uninstalled due to the massive amount of increased load time and disk space usage. It wasn’t anything special either

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

There’s an hd pack for pc but I uninstalled due to the massive amount of increased load time and disk space usage. It wasn’t anything special either

oh maybe they’ll have something after all

is there a list of games somewhere with enhanced textures on one x, not just the base game at a higher res?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just want to distinguish six pixel helmets from flower vases.