Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pivo posted:

No, iMovie is awful. Learn FCPX or Premiere. Your viewers will thank you.

iMovie is great and does a good job for throwing up bikecam footage on to youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

imovie is a great editing program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6J2a07WDuo

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My "Internet accounts" in macOS like Linkedin and Fb are all popping up stating the passwords are wrong. Anyone else experiencing this? I wonder if it has something to do with all the privacy policy updates across most major social media platforms. Anyways, I don't think I really use the integration that much so I might delete them unless there is an easy fix. Inputting my correct password again doesn't fix it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

My "Internet accounts" in macOS like Linkedin and Fb are all popping up stating the passwords are wrong. Anyone else experiencing this? I wonder if it has something to do with all the privacy policy updates across most major social media platforms. Anyways, I don't think I really use the integration that much so I might delete them unless there is an easy fix. Inputting my correct password again doesn't fix it.

try a reboot and see if the passwords stick after that

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Tell us your passwords, we can test for you

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

Tell us your passwords, we can test for you
PC_doug4ed

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Housh posted:

PC_doug4ed

Wasn't expecting an Ontario politics hot take in this thread but considering "PCPO can't do smartphones" is the news of the day I approve.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

When will Apple finally loving release their APFS full file format documentation?

It's (very) ridiculous to ship a new filesystem when no one even knows how to repair it properly.

WWDC doesn't give me much hope, Hair Force One claims Fusion Support Real Soon Now, Alsoft still blames Apple for not releasing docs.

Does Apple ever publish their conference schedule in advance?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 24, 2018

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

When will Apple finally loving release their APFS full file format documentation?

It's (very) ridiculous to ship a new filesystem when no one even knows how to repair it properly.

WWDC doesn't give me much hope, Hair Force One claims Fusion Support Real Soon Now, Alsoft still blames Apple for not releasing docs.

Does Apple ever publish their conference schedule in advance?

I think it's published some time (like a week) before WWDC, but with certain sections "To be announced" when the title gives to much away.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I told you guys that APFS being undocumented was a big red flag, I told you guys updating and rewriting your file system was bad news, I told you guys it was going to cause problems, I told you guys to hold off to hold off on updating, and you all said I was an idiot, a fear-mongerer, that they wouldn't release something broken, and the entire thread ever since the release has been punctuated by people having problems with APFS. I don't want to say I TOLD YOU SO but

I TOLD YOU SO.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Pivo posted:

I told you guys that APFS being undocumented was a big red flag, I told you guys updating and rewriting your file system was bad news, I told you guys it was going to cause problems, I told you guys to hold off to hold off on updating, and you all said I was an idiot, a fear-mongerer, that they wouldn't release something broken, and the entire thread ever since the release has been punctuated by people having problems with APFS. I don't want to say I TOLD YOU SO but

I TOLD YOU SO.

i mean, apple literally made it so you couldn't clean install the OS on to an ssd without it converting to APFS with 10.13.4 so.... what do you want?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

that they wouldn't release something broken,

This gets funnier with every new apple product.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Remember the HomePod?!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Remember the HomePod?!

No.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Well... if it's broke, just buy a new Mac. It's the Apple way. There are no repairs.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Remember the HomePod?!

The only reason I remember the HomePod exists is that its developer firmware leaked the existence of the iPhone X many months early.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Remember the HomePod?!

I use mine every day and I love it :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I use mine every day and I love it :shrug:

Same. It's fantastic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Same. It's fantastic.

It’s actually kinda crazy how good Siri is on it too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Steve is dead guys where is the reality distortion field coming from

Plenty of products produce sound as good as HomePod, plenty of voice assistants are better than Siri if you're into that, and Apple Music is a loving disaster (come to the iPhone thread if you want to read pages of people not understanding how to use the UI, which is broken beyond belief).

This has been a bad year for Apple. Not only have they failed on the software front on many layers - macOS security flaws (lol press enter for root), iOS 11 bugs upon bugs upon bugs, HomePod delayed and Siri isn't good, keyboard issues on the portables, iMac Pro not being repairable despite willing to pay for every component, and even though I disagree with popular opinion about the iPhone battery crisis - I think they did the right thing, they should have TOLD PEOPLE THEY WERE DOING IT. It's just PR disaster after PR disaster, and actual problems for users. I mean, it's great if you're a stockholder, I am indirectly so I hope Apple keeps making fuckloads of money despite screwing up royally, but this has not been a good year for Apple under any circumstances. They have failed literally their entire userbase. And us dweebs are the only ones that notice. So you might paper over it with the reality distortion field, but trust me, I noticed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It used to be that Apple meant you paid a bit more, but you were buying quality.

It's not like that anymore. I'm sorry, but they've lost all the goodwill they ever had with me. I don't know if it matters to you, but it is going to matter to the market once everyone wakes up and realizes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Pivo maybe you should take a walk, you're getting angry at a computer company again...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Pivo maybe you should take a walk, you're getting angry at a computer company again...

Maybe you should think of it from the opposite angle -- things are so great I have nothing to get angry about except a computer company.

I'm not that angry. I'm 90% in equities, 60% of which is in US and emerging markets, ~2% of that is in AAPL. I still use an iPhone, I still use my Mac.

But I was a convert during the iPod era. My first Mac was a iBook G4, the plastic one. God I loved that thing. I saw Apple outperform its competitors time and time again, I saw them rise to the top.

And now? Honestly I feel safer hitting Update and Restart in Windows than I do in macOS. And I'm a software professional, I literally have written software for iOS and macOS as my job. When you're losing me -- you're losing...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I get that it's easy to poke fun at the guy writing a wall of text. I type fast, probably because I'm not using a 2016/2017 MBP keyboard.

But I did say "I TOLD YOU SO" which was fully deserved once already. Don't make me come back and have to tell you again. You only have to look to the hardware thread to find diehards leaving the Mac. You only have to look at content creators who no longer find the Mac viable. You don't need to look far.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Question.

Does anyone have any problem with the internet when your Mac comes out of sleep mode. It's connected but I have to turn wifi off and on or connect to a different one for it to start working.

My husband thinks its because I have bootcamp installed and hates anything Windows so any suggestions would be appreciated.

e: what the gently caress did I walk into?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

uh no its not bootcamp but what do you mean "connect to a different one"? you mean like your personal 2.4Ghz vs. 5GHz or are you living in a really big McDonalds?

i think youre automatically connecting to an AP you don't want to be connecting to. go to System Prefs -> Network -> select Wifi -> Advanced, you're going to see a list of Preferred Networks, gently caress all that, click in the list, hit CMD-A to select all, and click the minus button. It's going to ask DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS. Yes, you do.

That should fix your problem. It's also going to forget all of your saved networks but if your problem is what I think it is, that's what you want.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You'll have to ask your girlfriend for her wifi password next time you go to her house that's the only downside to deleting all the saved networks

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

uh no its not bootcamp but what do you mean "connect to a different one"? you mean like your personal 2.4Ghz vs. 5GHz or are you living in a really big McDonalds?

i think youre automatically connecting to an AP you don't want to be connecting to. go to System Prefs -> Network -> select Wifi -> Advanced, you're going to see a list of Preferred Networks, gently caress all that, click in the list, hit CMD-A to select all, and click the minus button. It's going to ask DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS. Yes, you do.

That should fix your problem. It's also going to forget all of your saved networks but if your problem is what I think it is, that's what you want.

Yeah the reason I said that was because at my apartment I had 2.4 and 5, and switching between the two would get it started. I just moved into a house in the country with only one connection so now I just have to turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My thing will fix your problem. After you get that sorted, reorder the list (you can literally just click and drag) and it'll change the order of preference. Pretty sure that'll work out for you.

Now that you're sorted - back to Apple thread in fighting!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

My thing will fix your problem. After you get that sorted, reorder the list (you can literally just click and drag) and it'll change the order of preference. Pretty sure that'll work out for you.

Now that you're sorted - back to Apple thread in fighting!

lmao cool I'll try this now

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I mean, I hope you also know your own network's shared key, because you'll need that ...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It only does it when I haven't used it for a while so I'll check either tonight or tomorrow to see if its still doing it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pivo posted:

I TOLD YOU SO.

Lol what alternate reality are you in? If APFS problems have been punctuation here since High Sierra release, we’ve been writing lots of run-on sentences. Can you even justify this little Pivo tantrum by naming a specific horribly broken thing?

I just googled ‘apfs bug’ and only see two basic variations on the theme for post GM APFS. One is that Unity and Adobe and maybe some others had app compatibility problems at release, since fixed by patches. It’s not at all clear these are APFS bugs rather than the inevitable burst of “oops your app had a hidden dependency on obscure subtle behaviors unique to HFS+” breakage that was guaranteed to happen as soon as Apple switched to any FS without the peculiarities of HFS. (These have been around since OS X 10.0: anyone remember the tales of Carbon app woe from anyone who ever tried to install OS X on a UFS volume?)

The only true post GM APFS bug I found (in admittedly lazy searching because lol :effort:) is that Mike Bombich discovered you can cause data loss on an APFS volume created inside a sparse disk image. If you’re writing data to the volume, the sparsebundle has to expand to accommodate it, and expansion fails because the host FS ran out of space, the APFS volume will be corrupted. This isn’t so much an APFS bug as the lack of a special layer violating hack Apple put in the HFS filesystem driver: if a HFS volume is hosted in a sparsebundle, the driver calculates free space based on the host volume, and can therefore throw out of space errors instead of proceeding with operations that will corrupt the FS because expansion is impossible. I’d be willing to bet Apple’s other non-HFS filesystem drivers (ExFAT, etc) also have this issue; the reasons to put the hack in are likely all related to making Time Machine and FileVault 1 (the two common cases where Apple put HFS inside a sparsebundle on behalf of users) work somewhat reliably. FV1 has been dead for years, and the old Time Machine design is clearly on its way out and in the interim they’re still using HFS sparsebundles. So you kinda have to go out of your way to hit this one: Apple won’t automatically create a sparse APFS image for you, and very few end users outside the Mac graybeard crowd will ever try.

Speaking of, most of the complaining about APFS seems to come from Mac graybeards who are super attached to regular prophylactic rebuilding of their HFS volumes with DiskWarrior. They don’t know how to satisfy their OCD in a world without Alsoft. Those of us graybeards who never got into DW don’t miss it at all.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Technically not a bug in APFS itself, but macOS storing local Time Machine snapshots of poo poo I've deleted on APFS drives (even when my TM drive is permanently mounted!) such that my space is never returned to me really, really loving pisses me off.

code:
sudo tmutil thinLocalSnapshots / 10000000000 4
Not a thing I should have to do on a daily basis to keep using my computer.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

cool story bro.

don't worry, I read it. I dismiss it because you're blind to all of the real world problems of APFS. You want to be the king Apple fanboy of the SomethingAwful Apple threads, go right ahead, my man. I have grey in my beard and I never liked DW or HFS and I don't agree with you. APFS is a mess. We're lucky it kinda works.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Pivo posted:

cool story bro.

don't worry, I read it. I dismiss it because you're blind to all of the real world problems of APFS. You want to be the king Apple fanboy of the SomethingAwful Apple threads, go right ahead, my man. I have grey in my beard and I never liked DW or HFS and I don't agree with you. APFS is a mess. We're lucky it kinda works.

not even mentiuoning the fact that it's a downgrade in basic use features. we had journaling for over a loving decade at this point, and now it's gone.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it's very fitting though that nerds wanted a new filesystem for upwards of 15 years and when we got it it's the most apple bullshit inaccessible garbage imaginable. i bleed myself dry for zfs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

shut up pivo

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

shut up pivo

no? APFS sucks. bite me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

Speaking of, most of the complaining about APFS seems to come from Mac graybeards who are super attached to regular prophylactic rebuilding of their HFS volumes with DiskWarrior. They don’t know how to satisfy their OCD in a world without Alsoft. Those of us graybeards who never got into DW don’t miss it at all.

Don't doxx me..

I'm a graybeard who has had uncountable cases solved with DiskWarrior figuring in the fix or providing the fix. Between it and SMART Utility / DriveDx I've been able to identify either software issues or hardware issues every time out.

Now, running it when there's no need to, yeah I can see that being an issue, especially on SSDs where directory optimization doesn't do dick poo poo, but on all those now-becoming-legacy machines with platter drives it can help speed things up a tiny bit..

BTW, try Googling 'APFS fsroot tree is invalid' and you'll likely find the first major APFS showstopper; I've already run into it at least a dozen times, it showed up in HS betas but has never been fixed by Apple; one of its possible causes is from having an absolutely super old and/or huge Time Machine backup, and the only known fix is to nuke the drive from orbit (or, backup the drive and then reformat and restore.)

That gets real tired when clients have 900 GB used on a 1 TB platter or SSD drive. fsck is worthless against this error (it gives up as soon as it's detected), and drives that develop this error often become unbootable or suffer niggling issues in apps that deal with a ton of files (Word, Mail, Outlook, anything else that leverages sqlite). Seems kind of pointless to back up everything knowing if you use APFS it has a chance of happening again..

DiskWarrior was also the only utility that saved the day quite a few times for me with the dreaded 'overlapping files detected' message in fsck; it might take a huge amount of time to rebuild those files but it never failed me, knock on wood. TechTool Pro regularly puked on such errors. Didn't see too much of this error past El Capitan, though.

Not trying to defend Pivo here, but I'm of the opinion APFS sucks poo poo and it's poo poo we Mac janitors have to eat with a smile until Apple fixes it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 25, 2018