Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I still have my patch page up; I'd be more than happy to add more patch bundles to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Always a pleasure to see this thread crop up again.

Didn't complete any runs last year due to real life shenanigans, but hope springs eternal.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Happy to see the thread again. All that FF5 discussion in the megathread a month back or so got me really antsy for fiesta season to start.

Does anyone know the exact weights that jobs are given in popular mode? Or if popular mode is even still gonna be a thing, for that matter? I've got a little project I'm working on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cattail Prophet posted:

Happy to see the thread again. All that FF5 discussion in the megathread a month back or so got me really antsy for fiesta season to start.

Does anyone know the exact weights that jobs are given in popular mode? Or if popular mode is even still gonna be a thing, for that matter? I've got a little project I'm working on.

Poque provided the following info in Discord last year (it's a pinned message):

quote:

Play-In Round
Mystic 72 > Thief 28
Ninja 61 > Monk 39
Blue 72 > Beast 28
Summoner 61 > Knight 39

Round 1
Time 60 > Dragoon 40
Mystic 64 > Samurai 36
Bard 55 > White 45
Ninja 51 > Chemist 49
Red 60 > Geo 40
Blue 57 > Dancer 43
Black 60 > Ranger 40
Summoner 59 > Berserker 41

Quarterfinals
Mystic 56 > Time 44
Bard 53 > Ninja 47
Blue 65 > Red 35
Summoner 57 > Black 43

Semi-Finals
Blue 64 > Bard 36
Mystic 60 > Summoner 40

Finals
Blue 56 > Mystic 44

I'm not sure how those translate out into weights, but it's at least something to work from?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
In what universe is a Summoner preferable to a Black Mage?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

agradine posted:

In what universe is a Summoner preferable to a Black Mage?

all of them

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Poque posted:

all of them

I'm not aware of any random battles that serve as roadblocks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Even if you're being obtuse and wrong on purpose, Summoner has a higher Magic stat than Black Mage, so

Poque posted:

all of them

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

agradine posted:

I'm not aware of any random battles that serve as roadblocks.

It's a good thing summoner is broken in boss battles too, then.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I prefer Black, but Carbuckle and Golem can be very useful.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I will do all summoners for my single job run this year.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Dragonatrix posted:

Even if you're being obtuse and wrong on purpose, Summoner has a higher Magic stat than Black Mage, so

A whole two points of magic! :rolleye:

Black Mage has much better single target damage. And the Magic Lamp, for when Neo-Exdeath rolls into town. Also, status effects that wreck some of the more obnoxious bosses (looking at you, Atomos).

Summoner has the edge against Neo-Exdeath, admittedly, and Golem which is basically the only thing they have going in their favor other than picking up a magic damage multiplier marginally earlier.

I'm not saying that Summoner is overrated by any stretch, just that Black Mage is underrated in comparison and preferable in all but a few edge case scenarios.

Mystic Knight does have them both beat though so :shrug:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My take is that Summoners are slightly better overall than Black Mages, but it's close enough to be a matter of taste. Black mages tend to be somewhat better at doing single-target damage using MP efficiently, but for the endgame Syldra isn't that much worse than Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga. Summoner has more in the way of useful utility spells in the form of Golem (which is sick) and Carbuncle. Phoenix is obviously uniquely powerful, but is a bit of a pain to get. In fact, since Syldra is the last feasible summon to get an elemental boost you can pretty much skip all of the top-tier summons without issue.

E:VVVV Mystic Knight is absurdly strong. Their status effects bypass all magic defense, so you get a guaranteed zero-almagest fight. Similarly, Silence Spellblade is way better than other sources of mute to bypass Bridgegamesh's buffs (the timing is otherwise pretty tight). They are underwhelming vs enemies with zero vulnerabilities (unless you have flare blade) but they trivialize SO MANY bosses.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 24, 2018

derra
Dec 29, 2012
MK sucks compared to Black.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The only boss fight where MK has a good strategy that BM doesn't would be NED.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The big thing about Mystic Knight is that the Rapidfire Spellblade meme has become so engrained in FF5 discussions that people think it's a DPS class when it's really not. If you roll a Mystic Knight and expect to get damage numbers like a normal Knight or even a Samurai you're going to be incredibly disappointed. It's more akin to Blue Mage or Chemist in that it's a technical class that's meant to have a silver bullet for every situation, as long as you know you can use said solution.

Like Freekill said, it only really stumbles on fights where there's no weakness to exploit and no status to shut them down.

My problem with it, on the other hand, is that it's such a goddamn boring class. Rolling it for over half of my runs in 2016 probably helped that mindset, though.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

E:VVVV Mystic Knight is absurdly strong. Their status effects bypass all magic defense, so you get a guaranteed zero-almagest fight. Similarly, Silence Spellblade is way better than other sources of mute to bypass Bridgegamesh's buffs (the timing is otherwise pretty tight). They are underwhelming vs enemies with zero vulnerabilities (unless you have flare blade) but they trivialize SO MANY bosses.

What bosses do they trivialize that Black doesnt (or aren't trivial to begin with?) Besides NED which I already admitted. I think 3 reflect Thundaga is about as difficult as Thundaga Knifing Omega (and I've had a lot of experience doing so). Bridgegamesh can't be silenced in the GBA version.

derra fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 24, 2018

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

KataraniSword posted:

The big thing about Mystic Knight is that the Rapidfire Spellblade meme has become so engrained in FF5 discussions that people think it's a DPS class when it's really not. If you roll a Mystic Knight and expect to get damage numbers like a normal Knight or even a Samurai you're going to be incredibly disappointed. It's more akin to Blue Mage or Chemist in that it's a technical class that's meant to have a silver bullet for every situation, as long as you know you can use said solution.

Like Freekill said, it only really stumbles on fights where there's no weakness to exploit and no status to shut them down.

My problem with it, on the other hand, is that it's such a goddamn boring class. Rolling it for over half of my runs in 2016 probably helped that mindset, though.

That may very well be true, actually. I've yet to actually ever roll a Mystic Knight on a FJF, so I've never experienced how they've worked without the massive damage boosts they can draw from in a vanilla game (Dual Wield, Two-Handed, !Rapidfire, etc.) so I'm used to thinking of them as big damage dealers.

And MK has at least two good multi-purpose options for exploit-free bosses; Drain Blade and Flare Blade, though admittedly both come fairly late.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
If your MK can't hit a weakness they are incredibly blah until Flare Sword. This happens more than you'd think. Both classes have access to Sleep. Magic still does sold damage without a weakness.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Neo Exdeath's Break-vulnerable piece is the biggest outlier, since it is vulnerable to break but has a high level and magic evade. If you're going after NED with a black mage, you either need to be able to survive an almagest or be ready to restart a few times.

I think Bio Blade tends to be a bit stronger than bio against Azulmagia (since it multiplies your weapon damage by 4), but that's a more moderate case. Necrophobe I'd rate as roughly wash, since you lose a turn charging break blade but in exchange you don't need to worry about reflect RNG or spell failure. Mute is the one status that MK has access to that black mage doesn't, and while in SFC there are quite a few bosses that aren't mute-immune I'm not sure how many of them are still mutable in GBA, although in most of these cases the boss is a combination of a)vulnerable to something else or b)generally not that hard.

Black mage is also very strong, I don't want to deny that. I was taking issue with saying that MK sucks in comparison, since for most bosses both classes are an 'I win' button. Out of the hardest fights in the game, I would say that MK has a decisive edge vs NED and BM has a decisive edge vs world 2 exdeath, which is admittedly a very bad fight for MK.

e: I will note that MK is so much better for endgame grinding it's not funny. Using Break Blade against Iron Giants is ludicrously good, since it ignores their massive magic evade entirely. Black mages are no slouch in this department but it's still not even close. If you want AP you can also Break Blade most things in the Void without issue, too.
e2: I had misremembered what works vs what doesn't vs Crystals, this is also a difficult fight where MK doesn't bring much to the table

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 24, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

derra posted:

If your MK can't hit a weakness they are incredibly blah until Flare Sword. This happens more than you'd think. Both classes have access to Sleep. Magic still does sold damage without a weakness.

Yeah, the biggest difference between MK versus Black Mage is that MK doesn't have to worry about Magic Evasion or really, the Magic Accuracy formula at all. MK can more reliably shut down higher-level bosses whereas your mages might whiff a few times. As stated, this is mostly relevant for NED, but it also comes into play with Omniscient (not that a Black Mage has any problems with rugwizard, but it means MK is better at silencing than a White Mage) and Atomos (which Black Mage has easier because they only need to get Sleep to stick once, instead of hitting it constantly).

Really, Mystic Knight's biggest problems are that they're somewhat squishy compared to other heavy armor classes (their stamina isn't great) and the fact they're locked to generic swords (NOT Knightswords), the strongest of which you can't even use with their main gimmick. They'll do just fine in World 1, start falling behind at the same point Knights do in the back half of World 2 where Black Magic becomes king, and unlike Knight, won't get any Legendary upgrades in World 3 to make them viable. Endgame MK versus randos or neutral bosses lives and dies by Flare Sword.

On the other hand, the point in World 2 where they start falling behind in damage is ALSO the point where they start to shine as a more utilitarian, with the one-two punch of Break Blade and Bio Blade (your first Instant Kill tier spellblade). They also get semi-reliable healing with Drain Blade.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
That's fair, but I would add that if either can't exploit a weakness or status vulnerability Black is much better than MK. Black is better if you need burst (Crystals, Catastrophe). Black is better in most cases if you actually want to kill some trash.

Old access (ancient sword) to some bosses can be helpful, while Berserk via Wonder Wand is critical for someone like Shinryu.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

agradine posted:

A whole two points of magic! :rolleye:

Black Mage has much better single target damage.

Only once -aga spells are in play, which is less than a third of the game. Furthermore, the Lamp isn't reusable, and Summons don't have the MT don't
split penalty that black magic does.

That's still ignoring the utility of Carby and Golem, too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I did FJF once, in 2012, beat it for the first time, and pretty much steamrolled the game with the godlike combo of Summoner, Thief, Chemist and Bard

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

Only once -aga spells are in play, which is less than a third of the game. Furthermore, the Lamp isn't reusable, and Summons don't have the MT don't
split penalty that black magic does.

That's still ignoring the utility of Carby and Golem, too.

I did mention Golem. What you need Carby for is rare enough that Reflect Rings work just as well (if not better) in a pinch. The -ra spells are stronger than most of the elemental summons (Ramuh barely edges them out). Early World 2 is basically the only place where Summoner beats out Black Mage for damage (Titan is a bit stronger than Bio, 8/5 points stronger boosted/unboosted) but they fall behind in a big way once you get to the -aga spells and never really catch up.

Repeatable Golem alone makes Summoner top tier, not to mention boosted Titan and Syldra, but if you gave me the choice, I'd go with Black Mage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

agradine posted:

I did mention Golem. What you need Carby for is rare enough that Reflect Rings work just as well (if not better) in a pinch. The -ra spells are stronger than most of the elemental summons (Ramuh barely edges them out). Early World 2 is basically the only place where Summoner beats out Black Mage for damage (Titan is a bit stronger than Bio, 8/5 points stronger boosted/unboosted) but they fall behind in a big way once you get to the -aga spells and never really catch up.

Repeatable Golem alone makes Summoner top tier, not to mention boosted Titan and Syldra, but if you gave me the choice, I'd go with Black Mage.

If Water wasn't such a worthless piece of poo poo element, Summoner would outdamage -ga spells easily once it got Leviathan.

Unfortunately, coding being what it is means you can only boost Leviathan's damage with a Chemist, and if you have a Chemist then you can just solo the loving game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can somewhat easily solo the game with 2/3’s of the jobs, to be fair.

Anyway both Black Mage and Summoner suck because they don’t have half the fashion sense of the Geomancer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Finally someone's talking sense.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You do have to be real powerful to fight evil while still wearing pyjamas, that's true.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dragonatrix posted:

You do have to be real powerful to fight evil while still wearing pyjamas, that's true.

Wish someone would tell that to the Geomancer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FFV Fashion Tiers

Tier 1: The fashion gods
Geomancer: Fabulous, daring, and comfy!
Dancer: Just look at those dashing colours!
Red Mage: Red clothes and feathered hats are a symbol of sophistication.
Black Mage: Who needs a face when you've got style?

Tier 2: Pretty drat spiffy
Berserker: :black101: incarnate. Slight deduction for animal cruelty.
Mystic Knight: I have no idea what Faris is going for here, but the others are good enough to make up for it.
Samurai: True vintage!
Beastmaster: Eccentric, but it works.
Blue Mage: Superheroes are in right now.
White Mage: Only because Krile looks amazing!
Monk: Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it!

Tier 3: Well, it's better than going naked
Dragoon: The only decent one is ripping off a character from another game.
Ninja: Like Samurai, but worse. Digging Lenna's costume though.
Time Mage: The hat is silly, the cape is good.
Knight: Look at me, I'm wearing armour. :geno:
Chemist: Not exactly inspired, but at least not an eyesore.

Tier 4: Oh, come on!
Summoner: Phallic imagery is so passé.
Thief: Seriously, guys, you look like leprechaun rejects!
Ranger: Robin Hood wore it better.
Bard: Wearing a bunch of rags you found in the trash doesn't count as a fashion choice!

Feel free to argue, but you all know it's the truth.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 24, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've never finished a run because I have a real problem with finishing video games. However, I've been crushing games lately so I'm doing it. I'm finishing this game with a real hosed up party.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Start speculating, I guess.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/999848780575916032

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
mime/freelancer only run, calling it now

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Only the first 403 people are allowed to use it?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Perhaps the "Forbidden" after-classes, Mime, and Freelancer?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Is there a Draft mode?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My guess: using the forbidden tag means you can't get the really strong classes like Chemist and Samurai.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 25, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

first donation of 2018 :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Not exactly relevant to the Fiesta itself, but I've started working on a big addition to my personal patch. Presenting a story in 4 acts:

It's actually a job that randomizes the 3 non-!Fight commands on a per-battle basis.