Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man I'm stuck in a funk after having such a sour experience with the DS remaster. It feels dumb to let disappointment over a game ruin my mood so much. I need to just suck it up and get back too drawing.

Raxivace posted:

Honestly the biggest issue I have with story in both Niers is that they have a "50 puppies drowning is sadder than 1 puppy drowning" thing going at times that I don't think really works.

TBH I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At the very least, Kojima is versed enough in other forms of art and culture that his references are clearly references and his riffs add to previous ideas and work as opposed to Cage' completely clueless "I am the first person to do any of this" stance when it comes to literally century-old tropes
i was about to make almost this post before i scrolled down

kojima has clearly read and watched a lot of things that he found interesting and wanted to share and explore. even as early as metal gear 2, he was pulling out Chodham Armor and Singing Sand. a boss' backstory being that they were apart of the Extraterrestrial Environment Special Forces sounds super dumb, but also yeah, as humanity enters space, the question of how we fight in there becomes one of the first questions asked. people say kojima just wants to make movies but so much of metal gears charm is loving around with purely Video Game things. like psycho mantis yelling about the dualshock 3 or killing the end by changing the time

david cage literally sat out to make Blade Runner But You Sympathize With The Androids

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 25, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

TBH I'm not really sure what you mean by that.
Like the bit in Automata where All of the school children robots commit suicide. It just seems like it would have been more effective if it was one kid we kind of knew IMHO.

Or in the B Route playthrough of Nier 1, where you find out you've killed all of the babies. It just seems like a bit much.

I guess those are really the only two examples I had in mind.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

david cage literally sat out to make Blade Runner But You Sympathize With The Androids
I still can't believe someone watched Blade Runner and didn't get that.

Like, come on David Cage. Literal children have better basic media literacy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Raxivace posted:

Like the bit in Automata where All of the school children robots commit suicide. It just seems like it would have been more effective if it was one kid we kind of knew IMHO.

Or in the B Route playthrough of Nier 1, where you find out you've killed all of the babies. It just seems like a bit much.

I guess those are really the only two examples I had in mind.

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah Yoko Taro does like his pointlessly cruel tragedies. I'd agree his writing is a lot more effective when focused on single characters.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Like this annoys me, game’s not even out in most stores yet, give it a minute at least

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cage really is like tommy wiseau in that he doesn't seem to have even a loose grasp of how anything, anywhere works

it'd be endearing in a bumbling-spaceman way if he wasn't also ein sexmonster (une monstre de sex?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well i'm gonna go play Detroit now, if i don't like it i'll be the first to admit it, don't worry

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i watched blade runner as a knucklehead stoned teen and the scene where Decker shoots the scared fleeing woman android and she slowly crashes through glass got a "whoa", i do not understand what film Cage watched

Jay Rust posted:

Like this annoys me, game’s not even out in most stores yet, give it a minute at least
this was literally a quote he said

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean, both Nier and Nier A also focus in a characters, let you get to know them and have bad stuff happen to them. Nier kind of needs that pot element you mentioned because it's a central plot point in the game and I'd argue the thing you mentioned in Nier A is more about Pascal, a character the game does let us get to know, and how he reacts so it does fit in with what you were asking for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

This is not some searing hot take, this is literally how David Cage described the game while promoting it at E3
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/768231864796585984

precision posted:

well i'm gonna go play Detroit now, if i don't like it i'll be the first to admit it, don't worry

I'm gonna be honest, I'm gonna play it too, as soon as the brimming demand dies down and Gamefly gets some copies available

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well poo poo, I hate Cage even more now

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello people

I saw that totalbiscuit died. RIP that guy. Personal views aside I wouldn't wish death on anybody and my condolences to his family, a big shame he wasn't able to better himself before death took him because I believe everyone has the ability to turn over a new leaf and recognize their faults and actions.

:rip:

Hopefully his family is able to get through all of this as unscathed as they possibly can given the circumstances.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Well poo poo, I hate Cage even more now
welcome

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstAidKite posted:

Hopefully his family is able to get through all of this as unscathed as they possibly can given the circumstances.

Not to be morbid but his family has probably been ready for this. I'm pretty sure TB was projected to die from cancer years ago. In that sense he at least made it further than people thought he would.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/999823076463403009

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/johnplewe/status/999846634971316224

I'm sure this person was not the first to come up with this but I'm going to thank them for it anyway

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't remember being impressed by the designs in the Bloodstained demo but this 8-bit promotional game has some really cool looking monsters. If the full game had stuff like this then I'll be down to play it.

EDIT: Right after I say this there's a demon bunny girl enemy :geno:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 25, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

he's not an auteur, he doesn't believe in stories in video games

i may not agree with yoko taro on tone but i do agree with him on fishing mini games. ff9 meets this criteria. chocobo hot and cold is, after a fashion, a type of fishing

lots of movies directed by film auteurs have minimal focus on story

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
kojima owns
https://twitter.com/HIDEO__KOJIMA_/status/999641360914374656

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't remember being impressed by the designs in the Bloodstained demo but this 8-bit promotional game has some really cool looking monsters. If the full game had stuff like this then I'll be down to play it.

she's good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the new ff14 raid has an extremely funny and original mechanic that people are very bad at. the boss reduces you down to a random single digit of HP, and in front of him are 4 buttons that add 1, 2, 3, or 4 HP to your total when you stand on it. and at multiple times through the fight the boss will say "okay make your HP divisible by 3" or "make your HP a prime number", and you can watch how many of the 23 other players get this second grade math question wrong

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I think most castlevania titles had demon anime ladies

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope student witch who became a full-fledged witch escaped the eclipse.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dracula's Castle is huge, it takes a lot of work to keep it clean.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
When I own a shopvac, gonna mod it like that.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Whenever I read "auteur" in this thread, my brain tells me it is just a fancy French version of "autist". And when I just convinced myself that can't be true, I watch a trailer/stream or play one of those auteur's games and realize my brain must have been right all along. Rinse repeat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hopper posted:

Whenever I read "auteur" in this thread, my brain tells me it is just a fancy French version of "autist". And when I just convinced myself that can't be true, I watch a trailer/stream or play one of those auteur's games and realize my brain must have been right all along. Rinse repeat.

:thunk:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstAidKite posted:

They definitely did. Its not like I didn't expect this; the boss of the demo was literally a giant monster lady. Not a deal breaker but it is disappointing to see.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
imagine being disappointed to see monster ladies

cannot relate

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

cannot relate

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

cannot relate

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't need pointless fanservice from games. Gimme cool hosed up monsters like in Bloodborne instead.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
vicar amelia, mergos' wet nurse and rom the vacuous spider are literally all monster ladies

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Expect My Mom posted:

vicar amelia, mergos' wet nurse and rom the vacuous spider are literally all monster ladies

Mergos Wet Nurse is a genderless and sexless great one. Get your lore straight.

But obviously I'm talking about enemies/characters that are specifically designed with titillation in mind. Like the completely random nurse succubus demons in one of the Castlevanias with meticulously animated pixel breast jiggle.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 25, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

cannot relate

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Some days you get Armor Spider, some days you get the Duke's Dear Freja, some days you get Quelaag, and some days you just can't get rid of a Rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

both demon girls and bunny girls extremely own so this is like, double extremely own

• Locked thread